PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Season

SteelersWyo
03-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Let's see, We sign an idiot named Mike Tomlin when several other better candidates are available. Not enough the Vikings were horrible, now he has to screw up our team also. Cut Porter, re-sign St. Pierre. Fantastic moves that will equal a 4-12 season. We should make some trades with the Dolphins or Redskins, cause they know how to work the system with a douche bag as coach.

fansince'76
03-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Feel free to jump off the bandwagon at any time....

Livinginthe past
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Gee I dont know if you can call Tomlin an idiot really - what has he done to deserve that?

Let me tell you (as a fan of a team that has had alot of success in the salary cap era) the more games you win, the more rings you bring home - the more likely other teams will over pay for your players.

That is the way the cap works - the lesser teams have weaker players, therefore pay them less, therefore they have more cap room to spend on your guy.

Sometimes that guy is your favorite player.

As a Patriots fan, it was tough losing Branch, AV, Willie McG etc etc - but the best teams are the ones with the best management skills who aren't afraid to make the the type of decision that is unpopular in the short term, but correct in the long term.

I also dont understand this backlash toward the re-signing of a 3rd string QB - its a sensible move and one that has zero to do with the Porter scenario.

NM

SteelersWyo
03-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm not jumping. Just hate the direction the team is going. Don't see things working too well.

fansince'76
03-02-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm sorry about the bandwagon comment. I am kind of nervous at the moment about next season as well. I am taking the approach of "wait and see and hope for the best" right now.

Borski
03-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Your avatar look like your jumping lol, sorry just kiddin

Edman
03-02-2007, 10:45 AM
It's been shown through history that people do not accept change. Change is going to happen. No sense in crying about it. Cowher is gone. And now Porter is gone. The best we can do is wait and see.

DACEB
03-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Let's see, We sign an idiot named Mike Tomlin when several other better candidates are available. Not enough the Vikings were horrible, now he has to screw up our team also. Cut Porter, re-sign St. Pierre. Fantastic moves that will equal a 4-12 season. We should make some trades with the Dolphins or Redskins, cause they know how to work the system with a douche bag as coach.

Whoa, hold on!! I don't know if you've checked out any of the other threads on Tomlin, Porter or St. Pierre, but you might read some info that would change your mind.

I highly doubt we go 4-12, but who knows, I say 10-6. Tomlin walked into a tough situation with the cap, but from what I see and hear so far from the coach I like. This next season may be a tough one but last year was a disgrace the way we performed. I expect coach Tomlin to get the house in order and I expect good things this season.

:tt02: Can I get a witness?!?!

wise1s
03-02-2007, 10:59 AM
SteelerWyo - How can you call Tomlin an idiot? You haven't even given him a chance. From all the reports he appears to be a smart, energetic coach and we didn't see much energy from Cowher at all last year!! Give him a chance and if he does well don't post messages later in the year talking about how great and smart he is and jumping back on his bandwagon.

stlrtruck
03-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Remember, Tomlin doesn't necessarily have control over the players on the roster. He can only work with what the FO gives him either from last year's roster, FA, or the draft.

Have faith in the owners and the FO until they prove otherwise. People were upset when Cowher got hired and look what he did for the team!

Give Tomlin a chance - you may have thought there were better candidates but people thought that 15 years ago too!

Believe that the Rooney's will not let this team slip into complacency like 8-8 in Cincinnati!!

AZ_Steeler
03-02-2007, 12:06 PM
The Steelers always cut the LB's when they have reached their peak and are only heading downhill. Porter was just another casualty of the Steelers realizing his best years are now behind him.

Tomlin has done nothing wrong and the Steelers are just following a pattern that they have always done!

SteelersWyo
03-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Maybe I should have chosen my words better. Just too many changes for me. I have loved this team since I was a kid in the 70's growing up in PA. Seems like we are making a lot of changes, but maybe free agency will help. Although our cap issues may prevent that. I still don't like the hiring of Tomlin. If he proves my wrong I'm sure all of you will let me know. As for my avitar, I only jump out of planes, never off the Black and Gold train!!

Statik
03-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Tomlin will be fine. Rooney's aren't going to hire a guy just to fire him a year or two later. I'm actually excited to see what Tomlin is going to bring to the club.

Tonyla1
03-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Well if you think about it in cap terms... the steelers are roughly saving $5 million by cutting porter. It's also about time to resign big ben and troy p. to a new contract. So by cutting porter this will help re-sign them both. I love porter to death and i'm very sadden by this moment, but in the long run i rather keep troy and big ben since they are younger and the future and porter will eventually decline.

just my thoughts:)

Tonyla1
03-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Tomlin will be successful. He's learned from the likes of Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith. When he coached at Tampa bay he was the DB coach and helped the bucs with one of the top defenses in those years.

dSharp
03-02-2007, 02:48 PM
You say you don't like the hiring of Tomlin, but out of what.. 3.. 4 interviews, Rivera can't even land a job, so let's be the knuckleheads who actually give him one, right? Or Grimm, who everyone loves because he's one of our own, who couldn't even motivate the line... 7-8 players to do their job.. so let's just give him 52 players to screw up.

Whisenhunt was the best choice without having seen it happen.. if not Wiz, then Tomlin became the best choice, and he EARNED it by out interviewing those other two fellas. He obviously has something there. And even if he doesn't do well, who cares? HE BEAT OUT RIVERA AND GRIMM!! Get over it.

I'm still trying to understand why a guy can go in and knock one out of the park like Tomlin did, knowing he was probably a long shot anyway, wins the job, and still has people who go "I don't like it/him." Why is that?

Actually I know why, but since it makes me sick to my stomach, I won't say it.

Oh and by the way, Colbert's probably more in charge of the free agent stuff than Tomlin, at this juncture, anyway, and I'm sure that Dan Rooney didn't walk into Tomlin's office and say "Hey, Mike? Joey Porter, in or out, you make the call. Thanks."

I'm sure they roundtabled that whole situation out.

yinzer-inseattle
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Just added Wyo to my buddy list. I want make sure I can rub it in when we make the playoffs this year.

SteelerFanInCA
03-02-2007, 03:31 PM
It's way too early to call Tomlin an idiot. I will take the wait and see approach as well. Change can be a good thing as well.

memphissteelergirl
03-02-2007, 04:03 PM
It's way too early to call Tomlin an idiot. I will take the wait and see approach as well. Change can be a good thing as well.

I agree...and the referring to Tomlin as a douchebag is unwarranted. Not cool at all.

Stlrs4Life
03-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Gee I dont know if you can call Tomlin an idiot really - what has he done to deserve that?

Let me tell you (as a fan of a team that has had alot of success in the salary cap era) the more games you win, the more rings you bring home - the more likely other teams will over pay for your players.

That is the way the cap works - the lesser teams have weaker players, therefore pay them less, therefore they have more cap room to spend on your guy.

Sometimes that guy is your favorite player.

As a Patriots fan, it was tough losing Branch, AV, Willie McG etc etc - but the best teams are the ones with the best management skills who aren't afraid to make the the type of decision that is unpopular in the short term, but correct in the long term.

I also dont understand this backlash toward the re-signing of a 3rd string QB - its a sensible move and one that has zero to do with the Porter scenario.

NM

Excellent post. Coming from a fan of another team atthat.

SteelersWyo
03-02-2007, 04:34 PM
I love it when I get everyone worked up. Great posts. I still stand behind my assesment of things.

ExtonSteelFan
03-02-2007, 04:48 PM
I love it when I get everyone worked up. Great posts. I still stand behind my assesment of things.

I guess that's why you posted this then, just to get everyone "worked up". What you posted doesn't normally create what one could consider a healthy debate.

You know, it's one thing to disagree with the way the FO is handling things, but to call a person an idiot and/or a douchebag without even giving the guy a chance is ignorant. I'm shocked that someone of your age acts as immature as you do.

Indy_Steelers
03-02-2007, 06:43 PM
People were saying the same things about Cowher 15 years ago and they were all proven wrong and Noll before that.

polamalufan43
03-02-2007, 07:08 PM

First, Tomlin is no idiot. Read articles and listen to the guy for five minutes and you'll understand. Porter had to be cut, his salary was unmanagable, and it was either that or he might hold out, which would cause an even bigger distraction. As said before, feel free to jump off the bandwagon, because coming on and starting to run your mouth about a well-liked member of the Steelers staff and players isn't excactly the best/ recommended thing to do.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Elvis
03-02-2007, 07:08 PM
The Steelers always cut the LB's when they have reached their peak and are only heading downhill. Porter was just another casualty of the Steelers realizing his best years are now behind him.

Tomlin has done nothing wrong and the Steelers are just following a pattern that they have always done!
:computer:
I fully agree with ya...Its just like switching jobs to me, I hate doing it and I wont unless I just have to. But I think that Tomlin will do a good job and I think that we can atleast win 10 games and maybe our division in his first year. What
more can you ask for with a coach in his rookie year?
I really believe that the Steelers can make a deep run into the play0ffs.. we
still have alot of talent and there is still a Super Bowl in my
Vision...
:tt02:

Indy_Steelers
03-02-2007, 07:47 PM
another thing...could you please list some of the other "better candidates" for the job?

drew102e
03-02-2007, 07:52 PM

NM

good post for a pats fan(why are you here anyway?-no pats thread exist)

the mcginest move was very similar to porter

SteelersHoss
03-02-2007, 09:43 PM

Just a few words, Your the idiot. You must not have a clue about Football

SteelersTilIDie
03-02-2007, 09:59 PM
how can you call tomlin an idiot...peezy wanted way too much money...the vikings defense was in the top five in the league fyi.

SteelersWyo
03-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Obviously the worst thing a person can do on this site is have an opinion and stick to it. I see Tomlin as a terrible hiring. Pure and simple. He coached a 4-3 with the Vikings, good thing Dick will be around to run the defense. It is going to be a dismal season. Just wait.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-02-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm not jumping. Just hate the direction the team is going. Don't see things working too well.

It was likely that Porter played his last game with the steelers long before Tomlin became our head coach.......And do you really think it was tomlin that made that call....
Porter could have signed with the steelers if he wanted to be a "team" player, but you cant fault the guy for getting as much money as possible......Good luck to him....

I think things are going to start out better for us...........Change is not always bad.

fansince'76
03-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Obviously the worst thing a person can do on this site is have an opinion and stick to it. I see Tomlin as a terrible hiring.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion. Also nothing wrong with others disagreeing with it. See how it works? Calling Tomlin a "douchebag" doesn't lend a hell of alot of credibility to your claim that he's a "terrible hire." It sounds more like sour grapes and that you're pissed that the Rooneys didn't hire who you wanted them to. Too bad. And before you paint me as a "Tomlin bandwagoner," just for the record I wanted them to hire Grimm. However, they didn't - that doesn't mean I'm going to slag the guy they did hire before he has had an opportunity to really do anything.

Stlrs4Life
03-02-2007, 10:58 PM
:iagree:

drew102e
03-03-2007, 10:03 AM
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t130/drew102e/yeahthat.gif

except i wanted whiz...but lets give tomlin a chance

SteelerFanInTX210
03-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Everyone needs to calm down and stop freaking out, we just started free agency and a couple of moves have been made (which is expected of a brand new staff and cap considerations) and people are already freaking calling this season a loss. How many of you Doubting Thomas fans would have to cut your foot off to get your leg down because your foot wont come out of your mouth if our First year coach has a year like the SAINTS first year coach or the JETS first year coach. Your foolish if you think that things were just going to stay the same. We already have a talented team we just some more motivation and Tomlin will try to bring that. Besides its going to be at least two years till Cowher comes back to coaching (according to his interview with Mike and Mike in the morning) so if Tomlin is real bad then we will just pay our old coach the money he wanted. HAHAHA (that last comment was 60% serious 40% joking) but please give the young coach a chance. Lets see how it plays out.

Lets draft Chris Henry!!!!

fansince'76
03-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Besides its going to be at least two years till Cowher comes back to coaching (according to his interview with Mike and Mike in the morning)

I really think that depends. If the Panthers underachieve again in '07, Fox will be out, IMO. Considering that Cowher has a multimillion dollar house practically down the street from the Panthers' facilities, does anybody think that if the Panthers didn't offer $8-$10 million a year for his services that he wouldn't jump on it? I'm sure CBS will pay him well, but nowhere near that much. I know money isn't everything, but I'm not naive enough to believe that Cowher wouldn't take it - especially after he's had a full year to recharge.

Mosca
03-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Obviously the worst thing a person can do on this site is have an opinion and stick to it. I see Tomlin as a terrible hiring. Pure and simple. He coached a 4-3 with the Vikings, good thing Dick will be around to run the defense. It is going to be a dismal season. Just wait.

Name calling made your opinions sound idiotic. You gave no substance to back up your opinions, so they got jumped on and dissed.

I'd like to read more about why you feel the way you do, because everything I've read makes me want to jump out of my skin, I'm so excited. I can hardly wait to start grinding through the league. Look out NFL, because Tomlin and his gang are coming to kick your asses!

We're just different I guess. But I believe Tomlin is going to be our next HOF coach.

Tom

memphissteelergirl
03-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I guess that's why you posted this then, just to get everyone "worked up". What you posted doesn't normally create what one could consider a healthy debate.

You know, it's one thing to disagree with the way the FO is handling things, but to call a person an idiot and/or a douchebag without even giving the guy a chance is ignorant. I'm shocked that someone of your age acts as immature as you do.

:iagree: