PDA

View Full Version : Why so worried?

Da Steeler Soprano
03-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Man a lot of doom and gloom in here lately and over what? Peezy? Come on now lets start thinking with our brains and not our hearts. I was reflecting on everything the other day and heres what I came up with:

2006 season as bad of a season as it was we was still only ONE win away from making the playoffs. To start out we lose 4 major players in the off season (Bettis, Randel El, Hope, and Kimo) our franchise QB comes from within an inch of losing his life in a freak motorcycle accident, then merely weeks later has an emergency surgeory on his appendix. During this time we have a head coach who goes out and buys a home in NC raising doubts amongst the team of wether he will return. Which I think its safe to say that Cowher knew all along he was leaving and didnt put forth any effort as he did in previous years. Maybe if he cared at all he would sit our banged and scared QB for Batch who was playing extremely well. We are the defending Super Bowl champions so teams place a huge target on us, more so then they would any other team. Not to mention the schedule committee gives us the hardest schedule in the league, plus weird prime time dates. Also throw into the equation our low draft pick who had his own troubles in the off season, a veteran running back who was expected to replace the Bus turned out to be unable to replace a flat tire on the Bus. Im sure theres much more to add but I will wrap this up. We was ONE win away from making the playoffs.
Now to the 2007 season, we have a new head coach with something to prove to everyone who will care and do everything in his power to win, a QB who knows he hadnt played to par last season and will thrive hard to return to championship form like he knows he can. We will play a third place schedule, teams wont be gunning for us we are back under the radar, plus we get a high draft pick. Im sure theres more but Ill let someone else add it on. I think this post is long enough I just needed to get this off my chest. Oh and for Peezy, is everyone forgetting someone by the name of James Harrison????

The Duke
03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I agree, let the Tomlin era begin and see how it goes, we need to trust his decisions. Now we have to see if Harrison or a draftee will replace Joey, and I think Harrison will do a great job.

Mosca
03-02-2007, 11:46 AM
My only reservation is losing both the executive leader, Cowher, and the squad leader, Porter, during the same season. It's like losing the captain and the sergeant at the same time.

Overall it makes sense. And who knows what Porter's play would have been like in his last season without a contract.

He'll land on his feet, and he has a few good years left. Economically I understand. I think in a world where the money didn't matter he'd be with us... but that world is a fantasy. I think that since all teams are going through this right now it tends to even out.

Tom

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-02-2007, 12:27 PM
My only reservation is losing both the executive leader, Cowher, and the squad leader, Porter, during the same season. It's like losing the captain and the sergeant at the same time.
Overall it makes sense. And who knows what Porter's play would have been like in his last season without a contract.

He'll land on his feet, and he has a few good years left. Economically I understand. I think in a world where the money didn't matter he'd be with us... but that world is a fantasy. I think that since all teams are going through this right now it tends to even out.

Tom

The Sergeant isnt always best soldier (player) and isnt always the one with the most ability to lead. More often it is based on tenure...I have no doubt that the defense will be in good hands being led by Troy, Casey, or Farrior....the defense wont be as loud...but they will be just as potent.

Steelers
03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
the executive leader, Cowher

If last season was Cowher leading, than just wow...

HometownGal
03-02-2007, 03:05 PM
If last season was Cowher leading, than just wow...

Ughhhh - how soon they forget. :dang:

memphissteelergirl
03-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Ughhhh - how soon they forget. :dang:

Tell me about it...there are more than a few folks who feel that way. Never mind his overall records and the fact he kept the Steelers in the playoff hunt nearly every year he was there. But then again, the Cowher-haters will always have something smart-a** to say, even now that he's retired. Get over it y'all. Cowher's gone. Find another whipping boy already.

fansince'76
03-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Cowher's gone. Find another whipping boy already.

Trust me, Memphis, they already have - just wait until we lose a game next year....

Stlrs4Life
03-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Man a lot of doom and gloom in here lately and over what? Peezy? Come on now lets start thinking with our brains and not our hearts. I was reflecting on everything the other day and heres what I came up with:

2006 season as bad of a season as it was we was still only ONE win away from making the playoffs. To start out we lose 4 major players in the off season (Bettis, Randel El, Hope, and Kimo) our franchise QB comes from within an inch of losing his life in a freak motorcycle accident, then merely weeks later has an emergency surgeory on his appendix. During this time we have a head coach who goes out and buys a home in NC raising doubts amongst the team of wether he will return. Which I think its safe to say that Cowher knew all along he was leaving and didnt put forth any effort as he did in previous years. Maybe if he cared at all he would sit our banged and scared QB for Batch who was playing extremely well. We are the defending Super Bowl champions so teams place a huge target on us, more so then they would any other team. Not to mention the schedule committee gives us the hardest schedule in the league, plus weird prime time dates. Also throw into the equation our low draft pick who had his own troubles in the off season, a veteran running back who was expected to replace the Bus turned out to be unable to replace a flat tire on the Bus. Im sure theres much more to add but I will wrap this up. We was ONE win away from making the playoffs.
Now to the 2007 season, we have a new head coach with something to prove to everyone who will care and do everything in his power to win, a QB who knows he hadnt played to par last season and will thrive hard to return to championship form like he knows he can. We will play a third place schedule, teams wont be gunning for us we are back under the radar, plus we get a high draft pick. Im sure theres more but Ill let someone else add it on. I think this post is long enough I just needed to get this off my chest. Oh and for Peezy, is everyone forgetting someone by the name of James Harrison????

Excellent post, welcome to the board. And love the username!