PDA

View Full Version : Who do think will sign Joey?

Stlrs4Life
03-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Who do you believe will sign Joey Porter?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-02-2007, 09:36 PM
I would say patriots.....or possibly the Colts.....they could use him

Stlrs4Life
03-02-2007, 09:52 PM
I think the Bungles call him. I don't think the Patriots will now that they signed Thomas.

fansince'76
03-02-2007, 10:42 PM
I think the Bungles call him.

I hate to say it, but I agree with you. Now, if you'll kindly excuse me, I'm going to be sick. :puke:

tony hipchest
03-02-2007, 10:46 PM
if the patriots sign thomas, i think the 49ers will throw him plenty of cash and have the most appeal. every team in the afc north has legitimate reasons to try and land him.

49ers (although hed look the best in a raiders uniform)

Showdaddeee
03-02-2007, 10:56 PM
I heard the Dolphins were looking at him. Just resign Joeyyyyyyyyyyy!

Livinginthe past
03-03-2007, 03:16 AM
I will opt for the Browns - they have plenty of cap room (as perrenial losers tend to) and I think Cleveland could be an 8-8 team next year.

From a personal standpoint, I think Porter would relish the oppotunity to demonstrate to the Steelers FO what they are missing twice a year.

Its offense Cleveland really require, but im sure Crennel (who has an excellent defensive mind) would find plenty of ways to utilise Porter over the next few seasons.

NM

drew102e
03-03-2007, 08:36 AM
cowboys maybe, are they still 3-4

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Browns, Bengals and Dolphins among first teams in Porter hunt
Saturday, March 03, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Teams lined up quickly by yesterday to enter the Joey Porter sweepstakes, including two of the Steelers' AFC North Division rivals.

Cincinnati and Cleveland were among those who talked to Porter's agent, Jeff Sperbeck, along with Miami and others.

"We're weighing the various levels of interest and where the terms of the contracts are," Sperbeck said yesterday.

No visits by Porter are scheduled and likely won't happen until next week "when we have it narrowed down and decide who has the most interest and the fit that's best for him," Sperbeck said.

Porter would like to top the $5 million salary he was to receive this season from the Steelers before they released him Thursday in what Kevin Colbert, their director of football operations, labeled a salary-cap move.

The Steelers cut Porter five days before he was due a $1 million roster bonus, but they paid a $1 million roster bonus to guard Alan Faneca that came due yesterday as part of his $4,375,000 salary in the final year of his contract.

And, while they were busy extending defensive end Aaron Smith's contract earlier in the week, there has been no such progress made with their All-Pro guard who has been to the past six Pro Bowls. There does not appear to be a new contract for Faneca on the horizon.

Colbert admitted releasing Porter left the Steelers thin at outside linebacker, but they did nothing as free agency began yesterday to try to fill the gap and likely won't for a while.

The Steelers planned to take their usual methodical steps in free agency, preferring to concentrate on their players and the draft rather than make a big splash into the free-agent pool.

"History will probably repeat itself," Colbert said. "There's not a lot of great players available. Even at that, you still have to let this thing settle in a little bit because there will be other players getting terminated, just as Joey was terminated."

If they do sign an outside linebacker in free agency, it would more likely be a younger player who would not cost much. They also took a big interest in the outside linebackers and defensive ends at the combine workouts in Indianapolis last week and could make one their first draft choice. New coach Mike Tomlin has not said whether the Steelers will stay with a 3-4 defense or switch to the one he has coached throughout his NFL career, the 4-3. They also could play both.

Tomlin has said the talent on the team will determine the structure of the defense.

Absent another signing or a rookie stepping in, James Harrison likely would move into Porter's job at right outside linebacker, unless Clark Haggans is switched from the left side. Harrison has played in 44 games and started eight in his three-year career.

Arnold Harrison is the only other outside linebacker on the roster with NFL experience, and he gained it briefly in his first season in 2006 with two starts before he went on the injured-reserve list Oct. 31 with a knee injury.

Starting inside linebacker James Farrior played a season on the outside with the New York Jets.

The Steelers also pretty much took themselves out of the market to sign another running back after they came to terms with Najeh Davenport on a two-year deal Thursday for $2 million. It's more likely they will draft a halfback than sign a free agent.

One of the surprise moves they did not make came when they kept punter Chris Gardocki on the roster. He is 37 years old and has a $1 million salary in 2007.

As for Porter, if his play slowed down last season, his emotions did not, and a team might value that. His leadership as part of the package, especially if he were to go to a team such as Cincinnati.

Porter, though, is suited more for a 3-4 defense, which the Bengals do not run. But they do run it in Miami and Cleveland, teams against which Porter had big games last season.

"Well, of course [we're interested]," Browns coach Romeo Crennel told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

"Everybody should be interested in Joey, particularly 3-4 teams. But along with that, you also have to look at what it's going to cost for some of these guys, and Joey's coming out late. He's into it late, so we'll have to see how that plays out and see how he would fit with the team."

The Browns started first-round 2006 draft choice Kamerion Wimbley in the spot Porter played with the Steelers.

"On that right side, we do have a young player that we like quite a bit on our team right now," Crennel said, "but we might be able to put him over there [on the left] or put Joey over there."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07062/766549-66.stm

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-03-2007, 09:16 AM
I change my mind..
I see Joey going to San Fran...

RoethlisBURGHer
03-03-2007, 10:56 AM
I see Peezy going to San Fransisco or Oakland.He lives in Bakersfield,CA so he would be a lot closer to his home,family,and friends.

I don't see him going to the Bungles or Clowns because he has too much of a bad history with them.He called Winslow a "******" last season,and I think he was right on the money.He also knocked Willie Green's teeth into his throat a few years back before a game in Cleveland.And with the Bungals,thier disrespect of the Steelers in the past (calling themselves the better team after losing,TJ Housh-whatever whiping off his cleats with a Terrible Towel) I think will keep him away.

There is also the outside chance he comes to his seses,takes a discount,and comes back to Pittsburgh.

Stainless Steel
03-03-2007, 11:10 AM
SF for me too. They will be willing to pay the big bucks Joey wants.

polamalufan43
03-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Somewhere out west is where I think he will end up.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Cape Cod Steel Head
03-03-2007, 01:04 PM
San Fran. or Raiders I think that those are the only teams that can afford him.

ChronoCross
03-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Even the Giants are trying to get him to come to town. Were ever he goes he will make more money then he has with the Steelers.

ChronoCross
03-03-2007, 01:17 PM
I would say patriots.....or possibly the Colts.....they could use him

Colts can hardly afford there own players let alone the contract that Porter wants.

AZ_Steeler
03-03-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm going to say the Dolphins will snag Porter...

Stlrs4Life
03-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Even the Giants are trying to get him to come to town. Were ever he goes he will make more money then he has with the Steelers.

I think that goes without saying. He obviously is going to sign for something more than $4 million/year.

abowens
03-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I've read that the Dolphins, Browns and Bengals are interested in Porter. But I have not seen where anyone has actually scheduled a visit. That surprises me a little. I really thought someone would be making a hard run for him. What's being said floated about where he might land and when? Is it a bad sign for him that no one is frothing at the mouth over him?

klick81
03-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Looks like the Browns realy want him.

Suitanim
03-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Am I the only one anxious to see if changing teams removes the opposing teams OLT free "Hold Joey Porter when he smokes me and the ref won't call it" pass?

Probably not...he talks a lot...

Preacher
03-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Raiders.

Joey is perfect for them. A player about to go on the downslope of the end of a career. Overpaid.. Attitude.

Yep. Raiders.

And with this move... expect to see more 4-3 this year.

BOXCAR JOEY
03-03-2007, 09:36 PM
i think i would cry if joey went to the bungles just for the fact that if he does he will be doomed to serve time in a correctional facility. I see him going to the skinz if anything

PhillyBallHawks
03-03-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't know about the Bengals, since they are looking for 'good character' guys, and Porters viewed as somewhat of a loose cannon. I wish my Eagles would pick him up, but they don't believe in the linebacker philosophy. I'm thinking either the Colts, Texans, or maybe the Chargers. Patriots are an outside shot since they just added Thomas, although the two of them would certainely make them a fast and frightening defense.

Stlrs4Life
03-03-2007, 09:40 PM
The Browns signed Antwaan Peek from the Texans, this might take Porter out of the Browns plans.

rhino
03-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Joey is the TO of defensive players. Sure, he doesn't tear your team apart like TO did but he is a loud-mouthed guy who says a lot of things most teams don't want to have to put up with. I addition, I think Joey totally overvalues himself. He is now an aging OLB who is losing a step and he wants a lot of money. I predict something like what happened with Arrington last year will happen to him. He'll get some huge incentive-laden contract, be a bust, and get cut. Just my opinion.

ChronoCross
03-04-2007, 12:39 AM
There is already a big thread and poll were do you think joey is going...

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15387

aussiesteelers
03-04-2007, 05:28 AM
Joey is the TO of defensive players. Sure, he doesn't tear your team apart like TO did but he is a loud-mouthed guy who says a lot of things most teams don't want to have to put up with. I addition, I think Joey totally overvalues himself. He is now an aging OLB who is losing a step and he wants a lot of money. I predict something like what happened with Arrington last year will happen to him. He'll get some huge incentive-laden contract, be a bust, and get cut. Just my opinion.

Totally agree. He only gets sacks against bad teams with poor left tackles and that is largely the result of LeBeau's scheme. When was the last time you saw him beat a quality tackle.

silver & black
03-04-2007, 08:49 AM
I see Peezy going to San Fransisco or Oakland.He lives in Bakersfield,CA so he would be a lot closer to his home,family,and friends.

I don't see him going to the Bungles or Clowns because he has too much of a bad history with them.He called Winslow a "******" last season,and I think he was right on the money.He also knocked Willie Green's teeth into his throat a few years back before a game in Cleveland.And with the Bungals,thier disrespect of the Steelers in the past (calling themselves the better team after losing,TJ Housh-whatever whiping off his cleats with a Terrible Towel) I think will keep him away.

There is also the outside chance he comes to his seses,takes a discount,and comes back to Pittsburgh.

I would gladly take him for a short while, but I don't think he has any interest in playing for the Raiders.... which is understandable at this point. Also, there is no way Al would pay him the kind of money he wants.

silver & black
03-04-2007, 08:54 AM
San Fran. or Raiders I think that those are the only teams that can afford him.

No, we can't afford him. We are around 6.5 million under the cap, and we have a good core of young LB's right now. I like him, and would love to see him in silver and black, but it isn't going to happen. We need to spend what money we have on O line help.

SteelerFanInTX210
03-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I think Jerry Jones and the Cowboys will make a hard charge at him

Elvis
03-04-2007, 03:18 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
Ravens
With Ray Lewis adding to the hatred that Porter will have against
us they would be crazy not to sign him...
:helmet:

CantStop85
03-04-2007, 03:30 PM
According to Michael Smith at ESPN, the Bengals and Browns seem to be lead contenders for Porter's services...
Also:

Ravens | Ravens showing interest in Porter
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:26:18 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Baltimore Ravens have joined a growing number of teams interested in signing unrestricted free-agent LB Joey Porter (Steelers). Baltimore was one of the latest teams to contact Porter, agent Jeff Sperbeck said Saturday, March 3.

tony hipchest
03-04-2007, 03:35 PM
the smart move wouldve been for the steelers to pay his 1 mil bonus and then trade him. i laugh at everyone who thinks porter will never play for an afc north team because they think he hates them as much as fans do. joey is a professional and if its the bengals or ravens paying his salary he will quickly learn to hate the steelers as much as he "hated" them.

joey will take the highest number from the 3 afc north rivals and present that to the 49ers. the ball will be in their court.

fansince'76
03-04-2007, 03:38 PM
the smart move wouldve been for the steelers to pay his 1 mil bonus and then trade him.

Yep. Instead, they cut him loose for no other apparent reason than to show "who's in charge," and as a result get jack shit in return. Bad move on the FO's part.

tony hipchest
03-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Yep. Instead, they cut him loose for no other apparent reason than to show "who's in charge," and as a result get jack shit in return. Bad move on the FO's part.we wont even get a compensatory pick for him now. shit, even the dolphins got a 6th round pick for 14 year veteran "big daddy" wilkerson, who never lived up to potential his whole career.

porter is easilly worth a 3rd, and i bet he has a better year than any rookie drafted in 07 to play olb in the 3-4.

CantStop85
03-04-2007, 04:10 PM
we wont even get a compensatory pick for him now.
You still could if you guys don't make many FA signings and he has a monster year, couldn't you?

tony hipchest
03-04-2007, 04:22 PM
You still could if you guys don't make many FA signings and he has a monster year, couldn't you?ive looked for a sure answer for this but havent found anything too clear. from my understanding the comp picks are restricted to normal free agents alone. joey wasnt a free agent, he was a cap casualty. cut players such as joey or travis henry dont count. i could be wrong. but i do know the giants wont get a comp pick for tiki retiring and the broncos wont be getting a comp pick for the untimely death of darrent williams.

comp picks were part of the free agency deal of 93 that helps teams that lose great players who complete the last year of their deal and are not able to replace them via free agency themselves.

CantStop85
03-04-2007, 04:27 PM
ive looked for a sure answer for this but havent found anything too clear. from my understanding the comp picks are restricted to normal free agents alone. joey wasnt a free agent, he was a cap casualty. cut players such as joey or travis henry dont count. i could be wrong. but i do know the giants wont get a comp pick for tiki retiring and the broncos wont be getting a comp pick for the untimely death of darrent williams.

comp picks were part of the free agency deal of 93 that helps teams that lose great players who complete the last year of their deal and are not able to replace them via free agency themselves.
Ah, yeah I forgot Joey still had a year left on his contract...in that case you're right.

tony hipchest
03-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Ah, yeah I forgot Joey still had a year left on his contract...in that case you're right.i think thats right, but its hard finding info on it. probably because its not that complex; a free agent is a free agent. in which case that sucks but makes sense and is fair.

Suitanim
03-04-2007, 06:06 PM
I still think it's funny that Steelers fans are in denial about his pass rushing skills. He's an EXCELLENT blitzer, and it's still his forte. If you watch his game, he gets held almost every blitzing play when he's one-on-one with the OLT, but that's getting to be de rigueur for the elite and speedy OLB's. If he didn't talk, he'd get more calls. He's become a much more complete LB in the last few years by his increased ability to drop back effectively in cover.

Still, he's on the decline, and the Steelers won't overpay. They've groomed his replacement anyway...

CantStop85
03-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I would love to get him in a Bengals uniform...the only issue is he would be playing in a 4-3 instead of a 3-4 so he wouldn't be doing as much pass-rushing but more coverage. His personality is also a flag, but no more than Chad Johnson's.

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2007, 09:47 PM
There is already a big thread and poll were do you think joey is going...

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15387

Chrono, yor link leads you to this thread!

Preacher
03-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Yep. Instead, they cut him loose for no other apparent reason than to show "who's in charge," and as a result get jack shit in return. Bad move on the FO's part.

I gotta disagree. First, it seems that he was probably shopped around, but no one wanted to give back what was necessary. Furthermore, Porter only has what... 2 maybe 4 years left. Yet his contract would probably have been what, 5, six years. Big bonus. etc. etc. So instead, they let him go, create room to keep some other players that are younger and the future of the team, and create room in the lineup for a draft pick, while Harrison fills in. I gotta think that really wasn't a bad deal.

polamalufan43
03-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, who had Miami picking him, if anybody did?

SteelShooter
03-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Not me Polamalufan..........but I'm glad he's getting his paycheck.

polamalufan43
03-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Not me Polamalufan..........but I'm glad he's getting his paycheck.

True... although I think the money he wanted was a little high, best wishes to him.