View Full Version : Boy's night out

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
03-03-2007, 12:36 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_495955.html

Brown: Steelers' Big Ben dines with enthusiastic Tomlin
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 3, 2007

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla - Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger recently had dinner together.

To hear Roethlisberger tell it, they shared a pleasant conservation. That bodes well for the one relationship that must work if the Steelers are to thrive under Tomlin.

Roethlisberger, who is participating in "ESPN The Weekend" festivities this weekend at Walt Disney World, declined to discuss specifics about their conversation but said he and Tomlin were frank about their expectations for one another.

"It was kind of one of those things where we sat down and there were no holds barred for a while," Roethlisberger said Friday. "I told him where I was, what the team was kind of feeling, and I think that was good. I think it kind of surprised him that I did that, but it was good."

Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl, is looking to rebound from a season in which he threw the most interceptions in the NFL.

The one thing about Tomlin that Roethlisberger said that really stood out was his enthusiasm.

"He was just so excited about the season," Roethlisberger said. "I think it will be good."

So does Hines Ward.

The veteran wide receiver said he has spoken with Tomlin once over the phone but got a favorable impression of him from that conversation, as well as reports such as the one he got from Steelers inside linebacker James Farrior.

Farrior is good friends with Vikings defensive back Darren Sharper, a former college teammate of Tomlin's who played under him last season in Minnesota.

Ward splits his time in the offseason between Pittsburgh and Atlanta because of the weather, but he said he will return to the Pittsburgh area in mid-March to start working out with teammates -- and show support for Tomlin.

"I really want to be there, to be one of the leaders, one of the first guys to be up there and let him know that I'm ready to go to work," Ward said.

tony hipchest
03-03-2007, 12:42 AM
"I really want to be there, to be one of the leaders, one of the first guys to be up there and let him know that I'm ready to go to work," Ward said.well its good to know ward isnt looking to be a "cap casualty" next season. anyone who is, or is looking to make more that $5 mil/year should be worried.

faneca might want to schedule a dinner sometime soon.

SteelersTilIDie
03-03-2007, 08:39 AM
I think the two need to get aquainted for the steelers to be successful on offense. If they hate eachother...then they will be too busy bickering to run the offense.

SteelShooter
03-03-2007, 10:24 AM
I think the two need to get aquainted for the steelers to be successful on offense. If they hate eachother...then they will be too busy bickering to run the offense.

Trure Dat!

But, honestly, I believe Tomlin would need to slow down on the major changes. Change gets people all riled up if it is too much, too soon. What we have done so far, even if I personally do not care for it, is for the better of the team. But I also believe we are approaching the point of becoming counterproductive.

What we have done is good..........but not much more please.

Brando315
03-03-2007, 12:34 PM
I for one am hoping that Mike Tomlin finds a way to reign in the "free spirit" mentality of Big Ben. I hope Tomlin expects Ben to view more film, spend more time in the weight room, just spend more time...in preparation.

As far as what Ben expects from the new head coach? I couldn't care less. The coach is the coach. For better or for worse. These two do not need to have a stellar relationship for both to succeed. I hope they do get along, but in the end if Ben has an amazing season, in spite of a chilly relationship with Tomlin, everyone wins.

Just my two cents...I've been wrong before. :wink02: