PDA

View Full Version : What About Faneca?

Atlanta Dan
03-03-2007, 06:27 AM
In today's P-G' story on Porter, there was this nugget:

The Steelers cut Porter five days before he was due a $1 million roster bonus, but they paid a $1 million roster bonus to guard Alan Faneca that came due yesterday as part of his $4,375,000 salary in the final year of his contract.

And, while they were busy extending defensive end Aaron Smith's contract earlier in the week, there has been no such progress made with their All-Pro guard who has been to the past six Pro Bowls. There does not appear to be a new contract for Faneca on the horizon.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07062/766549-66.stm

And then you add this quote from Hines Ward from a Trib-Review story in which Ben and Hines understandably say they are disappointed Porter has been let go.

"(Alan) Faneca called me, some of the veteran guys, my phone has been blowing up like, 'What the hell are we doing?' " said Ward, a nine-year veteran. "A lot of guys are questioning what's going on, kind of worried about the makeup of this team, where we are actually going to go."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_495927.html

The most optimistic way to look at this is that the Steelers need to get a new deal with Troy done before they figure out whether they can also cut a deal with Faneca.

But Faneca also did not play up to his usual high standards last year, which may cause the Steelers to be hesitant to lay out a huge signing bonus for an aging lineman. In addition, the latest statement attributed to Faneca by Hines can be read in conjunction with Faneca saying at the Pro Bowl he wishes Grimm or Whiz would have been selected as the new HC.

Lots of indications Faneca and the Steelers are not on the same page in terms of his future with the team.

Sharkissle29
03-03-2007, 06:46 AM
scary

Livinginthe past
03-03-2007, 07:02 AM
There seem to be alot of leaks in the Steeler ship at the moment - I know these guys are vets and the Pittsburgh public loves them - but this idle speculation through the media doesn't do anybody any favors.

When Hines attributes comments to Faneca like "what the hell is going on?" you have to imagine that he feels the same.

I think some of the veterans have got their feet a little too cosy under the Pittsburgh table - Tomlin needs to crush this nonsense before the bad attitude leaks to the younger, impressionable guys.

Good luck Tomlin - looks like you might need it.

NM

Atlanta Dan
03-03-2007, 07:15 AM
There seem to be alot of leaks in the Steeler ship at the moment - I know these guys are vets and the Pittsburgh public loves them - but this idle speculation through the media doesn't do anybody any favors.

When Hines attributes comments to Faneca like "what the hell is going on?" you have to imagine that he feels the same.

I think some of the veterans have got their feet a little too cosy under the Pittsburgh table - Tomlin needs to crush this nonsense before the bad attitude leaks to the younger, impressionable guys.

NM

Agreed - Hines is in the same boat as Faneca - when Hines signed his new deal in 2005 I regarded it as a 3 year deal, after which the Steelers would decide whether to extend it through renegotiation or say goodbye. The vets know they are playing for their future rather than being able to rely on the old regime to lobby for them to stay and are not happy about it.

I think the Steelers are not going to try to postpone the inevitable by renegotiating with everyone and pray the cap keeps rising; instead, any vet approaching or over 30 with a big salary is in the crosshairs after this season - with Cowher gone management has more freedom to let the vets go and will do so.

SteelersTilIDie
03-03-2007, 07:36 AM
they should definitely sign faneca...i think they will...he's like there best offensive player

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-03-2007, 09:20 AM
I think Faneca is on the downside......Lets face it.......He made the probowl this year on NAME only

Dynasty
03-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I agree with that. I think Kris Dielman should have made it over him.

fansince'76
03-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Well, it doesn't look like complacency will be an issue this year....

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2007, 10:06 AM

NM

I'm sorry *takes off B&G glasses*, I've bit my tongue long enough on this issue. After listening to the interviews yesterday, I can't bite it any longer..lol.

This situation has had me concerned every since Faneca opened his mouth when asked about Tomlin becoming our HC and Faneca went on his Grimm rant.

We have a lineman talking about how he did not agree with the HC decision. We have our offensive "leader" in Hines Ward stating that he does not agree with the Steelers releasing Joey Porter. We have our "franchise" QB going on national tv seeking the attention he so desperately craves and commenting on Whisenhunt, Cowher and Joey Porter.

Whatever happened to players playing football instead of playing owner or GM? For a team coming off a bad season they seem like they are mentally off. Instead of jumping on national tv and worrying about coaching decisions and player decisions, Ben should worry about getting his head straight (which was getting bigger and bigger after his rookie and SB seasons IMO) and look to this upcoming season.

I know it's sacrilege to jump on Roethlisberger (him in particular), Ward and Faneca in this city, but give me a break. I'm not comfortable with this situation and I believe commenting to the national media does absolutely NO GOOD. Let the grilling begin....:smile:

Edman
03-03-2007, 10:18 AM
They don't like what's going on? Good. Good to see that the vets are becoming uncomfortable and getting a little hot around the collar. No more BS. Cowher is gone and it's time to shape up and prove yourselves all over again. They won't get any free passes from Tomlin. Either you're in or you're out. Faneca is leaning more towards "out" in my opinion. If he wants to go, so be it. He underachieved greatly last year under his "bestest buddy" Grimm, and had no business being in the Pro Bowl.

fansince'76
03-03-2007, 10:22 AM
They don't like what's going on? Good. Good to see that the vets are becoming uncomfortable and getting a little hot around the collar. No more BS. Cowher is gone and it's time to shape up and prove yourselves all over again. They won't get any free passes from Tomlin. Either you're in or you're out. Faneca is leaning more towards "out" in my opinion. If he wants to go, so be it. He underachieved greatly last year under his "bestest buddy" Grimm, and had no business being in the Pro Bowl.

I agree wholeheartedly. However, Tomlin must also tread carefully as well. We don't want this turning into another coach vs. players (ala the Giants) situation.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-03-2007, 10:22 AM
everything will be fine...guys were making statements based upon their comfort zone with cowher and his staff. they don't even know mike tomlin, so they cannot make fair assessments of him.

i think we all need to realize something important: the steelers are in the beginning phases of entering into a "rebuilding" mode. this team that we've grown to love is now starting to get older. the worst thing to do is tie up money into guys who can't play at a high level and then go into salary cap hell with all of that "dead" money on the books.

we are witnessing a team in transition and now kevin colbert will have to earn his money...we'll get to see how smart he is now that he won't be able to hide under cowher's shadow. i, for one, believe in the guy. but the next couple offseasons expect to see a LOT of transition/change with this roster.

19ward86
03-03-2007, 10:27 AM
aaron smiths contract was up, i think we have nothing to worry about, faneca will retire a steeler.

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2007, 10:28 AM

I hope that's how it pans out. Personally, I'm not comfortable with the dissension in the ranks and a certain few feeling the need to voice disapproval with the Rooney's (the ones who have been in this business before they were even born and who also write their checks) decision making. It does absolutely no good in my opinion.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-03-2007, 10:42 AM
These are the reasons I feel they didn't choose Grimm and Whisenhut:

Grimm- Too old and might not be able to take the grind of being HC.Might not have the longevity they want because he'll step down before or after his initial contract.

Whisenhut- No longevity,would jump at the bigger-paying job when his contract was up.

The players need to focus on the upcoming season and who is there right now.Stop whining about Tomlin being HC,stop whining about Porter being released.This was gonna be Porter's last year anyhow if he goes after the big money.

Atlanta Dan
03-03-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm sorry *takes off B&G glasses*, I've bit my tongue long enough on this issue. After listening to the interviews yesterday, I can't bite it any longer..lol.

This situation has had me concerned every since Faneca opened his mouth when asked about Tomlin becoming our HC and Faneca went on his Grimm rant.

We have a lineman talking about how he did not agree with the HC decision. We have our offensive "leader" in Hines Ward stating that he does not agree with the Steelers releasing Joey Porter. We have our "franchise" QB going on national tv seeking the attention he so desperately craves and commenting on Whisenhunt, Cowher and Joey Porter.

Whatever happened to players playing football instead of playing owner or GM? For a team coming off a bad season they seem like they are mentally off. Instead of jumping on national tv and worrying about coaching decisions and player decisions, Ben should worry about getting his head straight (which was getting bigger and bigger after his rookie and SB seasons IMO) and look to this upcoming season.

I know it's sacrilege to jump on Roethlisberger (him in particular), Ward and Faneca in this city, but give me a break. I'm not comfortable with this situation and I believe commenting to the national media does absolutely NO GOOD. Let the grilling begin....:smile:

:iagree:

:thumbsup:

ChronoCross
03-03-2007, 10:51 AM
I am not even going to get in this like I stayed out of porter. This is a total joke. Faneca was one of the only players on the OL who teams even said out loud they could not get by, even in the Ravens games the defense was saying we had a lot of troubles with Faneca. Faneca still pulls great and gets ahead of the run play, pass blocks awsome. He blocks great. If you like players like smith and starks who got blown up on the line all game long so be it.

Edman
03-03-2007, 10:58 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. However, Tomlin must also tread carefully as well. We don't want this turning into another coach vs. players (ala the Giants) situation.

Well yes, that too. But I trust Tomlin knows what to do. He's been around professional athletes before. The complaints are completely unwarranted, the players barely know the guy and they're complaining about the hire already. The players need to stop being whiny children and face the truth. Cowher is not here to bail you out anymore. Just ask Joey Porter.

But the bottom line is this, we'll just have to wait and see.

Atlanta Dan
03-03-2007, 11:00 AM
I am not even going to get in this like I stayed out of porter. This is a total joke. Faneca was one of the only players on the OL who teams even said out loud they could not get by, even in the Ravens games the defense was saying we had a lot of troubles with Faneca. Faneca still pulls great and gets ahead of the run play, pass blocks awsome. He blocks great. If you like players like smith and starks who got blown up on the line all game long so be it.

I do not think this thread is trashing Faneca as far as being an asset to the team (at least I have not said that in my posts here) and certainly is not singing the praises of the rest of the OL.

But when you have a player who directly (Pro Bowl) and indirectly (Ward quote regarding Faneca) is questioning the new regime, is still a good player but on the downside of his career, and is coming up for big $$ contract renegotiation while the Steelers are entering rebuilding mode, that player's status past 2007 is a legitimate point of discussion and not a joke. IMHO saying the continued sniping of the players is out of line is not a joke either.

LambertLunatic
03-03-2007, 11:03 AM
We're hearing a lot of negative comments from our players, but take these comments with a grain of salt. The most innocent comments can be taken out of context by the media and made into what looks like total mutiny.

NFL players are human, just like us. Just like us, they get nervous about any changes. Just like us, they don't want to see their co-workers (and friends) let go. Unlike us, they have the media asking their opinions, and if they don't give the media a good story, then the media will make it's own story with comments taken out of context.

So Faneca was hoping Whiz or Grimm would become the new coach? Who wouldn't want a boss they knew over one they didn't know? So Ward didn't want Porter released? They've been co-workers for a long time, and are probably buddies. Who wouldn't want to keep their buddies in the work place?

There probably isn't the discontent on the team that the media is hinting at. Gone are the days when the media reported the news. These days, if the media can't find a story to report, they MAKE a story to report.

As you read articles from some reporter, remember that the reporter is some guy making (at most) a 6 figure salary second guessing a front office guy making millions. If that reporter's story is off, but he sells papers, he still gets a payrise. It's not about getting the story right, it's about selling papers. Keep this in mind as you read these articles. :coffee:

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Now the "media conspiracy"......

These guys were being interviewed on national tv. If you are capable of watching a television and hearing the television you don't need that "nasty, mean, sneaky media" to mix words or take quotes out of context. It is right there in front of your eyes and ears. I think at times we as fans are quick to jump on the media when our "beloved" players make idiotic comments or wrong doings.

Does Faneca, Ben and Ward have the right to say what they want? Sure. Do they have the right to call out ownership in front of the whole country and not expect to take heat? No. Have some respect. Can you imagine Mean Joe or Lambert or Hamm calling out the Rooney's? Once again, what good does it do? Stating "What in the hell is going on" is not exactly a.....ah, nevermind.

IMO, they should worry about next season and how they are going to be better players. Not playing Mr. Owner.

yinzer-inseattle
03-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Now the "media conspiracy"......

These guys were being interviewed on national tv. If you are capable of watching a television and hearing the television you don't need that "nasty, mean, sneaky media" to mix words or take quotes out of context. It is right there in front of your eyes and ears.

Does Faneca, Ben and Ward have the right to say what they want? Sure. Do they have the right to be upset? Sure. Do they have the right to call out ownership in front of the whole country and not expect to take heat? No. Have some respect. Can you imagine Mean Joe or Lambert or Hamm calling out the Rooney's? Once again, what good does it do?

Worry about next season and how you are going to be a better player. Not playing Mr. Owner.

Agreed. All of these guys owe the Rooneys at least that much. Could you imagine Dan or Art II on Sportsline or the NFL Today, questioning what these guys do on the field? No! If and when they have issues with the players, they handle them with class (in private and within the structure of the organization).

The players should do the same. If they don't know what the hell is going on call someone who does. I'm sure they'd explain it to them.

tony hipchest
03-03-2007, 11:31 AM
i have no problems with the steelers players voiceing their opinions or concerns. its only natural. even tom brady does it.

im sure tomlin cant get away with cutting porter, hines, and faneca, but im thinking he would if he could. the writing is on the wall for faneca. throw the hutchinson and the steinbach deals out the window, the bills have set the bar with their 2 signings yesterday for faneca to be the leagues highest paid lineman next season. the steelers need to trade him because the highest we'll get from a comp pick is a 3rd.

the steelers need to get over this crazy notion that you dont extend contracts that have more than a year left on them. this is gonna cost millions that couldve been saved by simply giving polamalu a fair market contract last year.

hines wards blocking is not gonna be as important as it was in the steelers power run scheme. just like were gonna see more 4-3 on defense, were gonna see more offense where pass blocking and running routes is more important than run blocking schemes.
dont think hines is gonna take a hometown discount and make as much money as the new full back in his true hometown of atlanta is.

its gonna be tough enough as it is to get these players to buy in and believe it was time to blow this team up and start from scratch. they still view themselves as superbowl champions. but to expect them to march along like good little soldiers and take a pay cut too??? its not gonna happen.

im not suggesting its possible to get a herchel walker type deal the cowboys got but with porter, faneca, and ward, we could get hell of alot by way of trade and still have a decent core to build around and plenty of cap room so tomlin can do what he really wants.

dSharp
03-03-2007, 01:47 PM
I must've missed the whole Ben on TV saying stupid things tv spot.. I saw him on NFL Live the other day.. sounded like vanilla answers and I walked away from it thinking "Well he definitly tried to not stir the pot". Did he have some other interview?

As for Hines, well, I think he says pretty much whatever he feels like saying anyway. Just take a look at his quotes through the last 3-4 years and you'll see. I also saw that he was eager to be the "first guy there" for the off season programs, so I wouldn't worry much about Hines.

Porter's release was coming one way or another. I don't think there is one player on the team or fan in the stands who thought the Rooney's would be willing OR able to offer a contract to Joey that would satisfy him.

Think about how alot of people have reacted to Cowher leaving, even though we all pretty much saw it coming. When reality strikes, it doesn't matter, it's a shock. On top of that, there was a bit of a mess made as far as teh coaching searc h went. You had KDKA talking to Grimm's family and friends 2 weeks before the steelers even hired anyone, asking how it would feel if he got the job, etc. People were pulling for him, hometown guy and all.

The Steelers are, without a doubt, built to be as much of a family as you can achieve in professional sports. The players care about eachother, are doing things together, etc. Moreso than I hear from other teams on the average, at least. Joey was a big part of the locker room, and a leader. His departure was gauranteed to leave a mark on the players.

It's like when your best friend moves to a new state, or across the country. You know you'll talk and stuff, but it won't be the same, it never is, and it hurts. So it goes with Porter and his teamates.

As far as Faneca is concerned, you can tell he wants out. I love the guy, but the writing is on the wall for a holdout/trade demand this spring/summer. Doesn't matter what Tomlin does, Faneca has a preconceived notion, a torch for Grimm to hold, and a heavy heart for Cowher/Hartings/Porter leaving. It's common psychology, he's not happy and nothing will make him feel better except either money, or a new team. I don't want to see him leave, but I find it extremely hard to envision a scenario where he will be happy as a Steeler in the next year or two.

drew102e
03-03-2007, 01:55 PM
throw some restructure money at him and extend him acouple years and faneca shuts his yap and justs starts blocking someone

tony hipchest
03-03-2007, 02:15 PM
yeah, what dsharp said.

i agree with every statement. hines ward sounds like hes ready to play. faneca sounds like hes having thoughts of arizona already. kinda like cowher having carolina dreams last season. we know how well that worked out.

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Agreed. All of these guys owe the Rooneys at least that much. Could you imagine Dan or Art II on Sportsline or the NFL Today, questioning what these guys do on the field? No! If and when they have issues with the players, they handle them with class (in private and within the structure of the organization).

The players should do the same. If they don't know what the hell is going on call someone who does. I'm sure they'd explain it to them.

As we all know, the Rooney's never would. It's called class and respect. Plus, even if they wanted to you might end up bruising an athlete's ego. God forbid that occurs. I'm all for it being done behind closed doors. I'm not at all crazy about it being done in front of the whole damn nation.

"If they don't know what the hell is going on call someone who does."......

The best line of the day. :toofunny:

tony hipchest
03-03-2007, 02:33 PM
"If they don't know what the hell is going on call someone who does."......

The best line of the day. :toofunny:
definitely. lol, that is pretty good.

i hate to think faneca is trying to write a ticket outta town. (would arizona make a draft day trade for him?) but it sure seems like that.

ward always has been one who shoots straight from the hip who is always saying something. hell there were even rumors he and cowher werent the best of friends. he seems like the type who would be in favor of a more disciplined and structured regime, that ran a bit of a tighter ship, though.

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2007, 02:39 PM
ward always has been one who shoots straight from the hip who is always saying something.

That's fine if he wants to shoot straight from the hip. That's his choice. That still doesn't make it right in my opinion. I'll be here to say he was out of line when he decides to question the Rooney's in front of the whole nation when it comes to coaching and player decisions. Decisions they have been making long, long, long before anybody on this roster came along.

Like I said, if they have a problem take it behind closed doors. There's no need to take it to the national media.

Maybe they would prefer playing on a Davis, Snyder or Millen football team?

austinfrench76
03-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Guys, don't forget that Faneca also made a remark when ben became the quarterback. If you remember someone asking him if he was happy about Tommy goin down and he basically said, do you think I'm happy about a kid quarterback? He's a hot blooded guy that's pretty emotional. Most lineman aren't like that. That's probably why is so damn good!

tony hipchest
03-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Like I said, if they have a problem take it behind closed doors. There's no need to take it to the national media.

Maybe they would prefer playing on a Davis, Snyder or Millen football team? or arthur blank? maybe thats the whole master plan.

if atlanta and arizona call on draft day offering a 2nd round pick (would be high picks) for faneca and ward, respectively, who here would take it???

theres probably alot we could do with 3 2nd rounders. and theres still cheaper free agent options at wr. i think its pretty much a given we need to extend polamalu.

fansince'76
03-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Guys, don't forget that Faneca also made a remark when ben became the quarterback. If you remember someone asking him if he was happy about Tommy goin down and he basically said, do you think I'm happy about a kid quarterback? He's a hot blooded guy that's pretty emotional. Most lineman aren't like that. That's probably why is so damn good!

I kinda prefer the Broncos philosophy as far as O-linemen go; no talking to the media. Period. Also not smart to question the FO after having a subpar year, Pro Bowl appearance or not.

Elvis
03-03-2007, 04:02 PM
:tt02:
Faneca has made the Pro Bowl on his reputation the last 3 years in my opinion. He has never been that great in my eyes. I remember seing him get beat time after time in the past couple years,
now this is not to say that I dont really like him, but he is Not more important to our Team Than Troy Polomalu...
NO WAY!!!
:coffee:

fansince'76
03-03-2007, 04:05 PM
i think its pretty much a given we need to extend polamalu.

Agreed, Tony. I said in another thread that the only two players currently on the roster that are truly indispensible are Troy and Ben. That's it. (At least in my humble opinion)

tony hipchest
03-03-2007, 04:27 PM
:tt02:
Faneca has made the Pro Bowl on his reputation the last 3 years in my opinion. He has never been that great in my eyes. I remember seing him get beat time after time in the past couple years,
now this is not to say that I dont really like him, but he is Not more important to our Team Than Troy Polomalu...
NO WAY!!!
:coffee: well if it analysis between your eyes, or those who have access to all the game tape and get paid to make analysis, i gotta side with those who contend that for the past 3 years faneca has been the top guard in the game. players and coaches have a say in the pro bowl too. if name alone got players in, hines ward would never miss it.

abowens
03-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Agreed, Tony. I said in another thread that the only two players currently on the roster that are truly indispensible are Troy and Ben. That's it. (At least in my humble opinion)

Troy and Ben are indispensible. But Faneca is the next closest in my opinion. Most analysts who watch hours and hours of film will tell you he's second in the league only to Hutchinson at this very moment in time. I've read through this entire thread and I'm curious as to what we KNOW Faneca has actually said that makes everyone think he wants out of Pittsburgh? So he wants to know what the hell is going on? So does everyone else on the team and every fan. So he was upset that his mentor and friend Grimm did not get the job? He spent more time with Grimm than any other coach and liked him a lot. I still have not read, seen or heard anything that would substantiate any claim that he wants out.

Faneca is probably the most community involved Steeler. He's always involved in community service work giving back to Pittsburgh. Most guys who don't plan on staying for a very long time don't get that involved...they fear it will communicate to the team that they like the area so much it will hurt their chances to cash in. Don't forget about that. That does not mean he plans on staying for nothing either. It's just something to consider.

Like it's been pointed out already, nobody likes change. From everything that's been reported, the Rooney's hired Tomlin because of his leadership and people skills. He will be able to calm everyone's fears, pull them together and motivate them.

Fanceca is and will be the most important guy on the offensive line. The Steelers need to run and protect Ben. After Troy gets his deal done I am certain Faneca will be the next priority. And with rising salary caps, I'm not worried. If it doesn't get done before training camp, then we can start to worry!

jammer699
03-03-2007, 10:34 PM
the best lineman we have...keep him at that cost

Stlrs4Life
03-04-2007, 05:09 PM
I really used to like Faneca. Not no more I guess. Hopefully he gets to camp, has a good season, and moves on next season.