PDA

View Full Version : Plummer Traded; Broncos Acquire Wilkinson

ChronoCross
03-03-2007, 01:15 PM
By Andrew Mason (http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason)
DenverBroncos.com
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Following a wild 24 hours of public speculation regarding the future and a reported retirement decision by Jake Plummer, the Broncos executed a trade of the quarterback Saturday morning, sending him to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for a conditional selection in the 2008 NFL Draft.
The Broncos also sent their 2007 sixth-round pick to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for Dan Wilkinson, who is at the cusp of his 14th season after being the No. 1 overall selection in the 1994 NFL Draft.

boLT fan
03-03-2007, 03:33 PM
So now Tampa has Chris Simms, Jake Plummer, and Jeff Garcia. Wow, brilliant GM there.

Newzfoxjr
03-03-2007, 03:35 PM
XD

Yeah, this is a little weird to me too...I would've thought they'd only sign one QB, although QB wouldn't have been on my list for them really.

boLT fan
03-03-2007, 04:29 PM
XD

Yeah, this is a little weird to me too...I would've thought they'd only sign one QB, although QB wouldn't have been on my list for them really.

I just don't get why they've given up on Chris Simms so early on.

fansince'76
03-03-2007, 04:52 PM
I fail to see how these trades make the Broncos better. I can see getting something for Plummer, as he's been pissed ever since his demotion, but Dan Wilkinson? Talk about a guy who never lived up to the potential....

polamalufan43
03-03-2007, 04:58 PM
I would like to know why the Broncos didn't wait for Jake to retire. I mean, there was probably a huge chance that he would not, but still, I don't see the reason besides maybe poor play.

~polamalufan43:tt02:

ChronoCross
03-03-2007, 09:51 PM
UNION TO PROTEST PLUMMER TRADE

A league source tells us that the NFL Players Association is expected to file a grievance objecting to the trade that sent Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer to the Buccaneers for a conditional 2008 draft pick.

The argument is that, because Plummer actually filed retirement papers on Friday, his rights cannot be traded.

And while the NFLPA likely has a valid point, the immediate question is why do they care? If Plummer is retired, then he's retired.

If the grievance is successful, the trade most likely would be voided, and Plummer's rights returned to the Broncos.

It's believed that the Bucs plan to trade Plummer's rights to the Raiders. It's also believed that Plummer wants to play for the Texans.

Newzfoxjr
03-03-2007, 11:14 PM
I'd like to see Plummer play for the Texans. He might actually get them to .500.

ChronoCross
03-03-2007, 11:17 PM
I'd like to see Plummer play for the Texans. He might actually get them to .500.

That is were I thought he would go but then again he retires and Broncos trade him is kinda funny and now the bucs want to trade him to the Raiders and he is so called retired. This is one messed up deal. No wonder the Union is trying to stop this.

polamalufan43
03-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Well, if he did fill the papers out there's not much anyone can do but watch him retire...

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

BOXCAR JOEY
03-04-2007, 01:37 PM
It seems the brncos engine is runnin', but there isn't any one behind the wheel if you ask me.

Atlanta Dan
03-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Well, if he did fill the papers out there's not much anyone can do but watch him retire...

Unless you have some issue with retiring mid-way through a contract that provides for some refund of a portion of the signing bonus if you retire (as opposed to being cut) midway through the contract?

Sounds like Plummer does not want to go to Tampa. As boLT Fan posted, that is not exactly a lineup of Montana. Elway, and Marino in their primes on the QB depth chart for the Bucs.

Elvis
03-04-2007, 03:16 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
I would rather have Carr as my QB with some help from his teammates and coaches/Organ. with the drafting positions that they have had and just like last year they passed on some RB wearing #25... What were they thinking?
:dang:

ChronoCross
03-04-2007, 05:31 PM

Ya he filed his papers on Friday for retirement.

SteelShooter
03-04-2007, 07:58 PM
But wasn't the Fins original intention heading toward using Garcia in a trade?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...................................... ...................completely confusing.

ChronoCross
03-09-2007, 09:08 PM
PLUMMER OFFICIALLY RETIRES, WE THINK

Quarterback Jake Plummer has announced his retirement from the NFL.

"I wanted to come in and tell you guys on camera and face-to-face that the speculation can stop tonight," Plummer said. "You can know by the looking in my face and hearing my words that I am retiring from the NFL. At 32 years old, I'm running away from the game. Not in fear or fright, but health-wise. I'm healthy. I'm happy. I have a lot to look forward to in my life."

Reports of Plummer's retirement surfaced not long after reports surfaced that he had been traded by the Broncos to the Buccaneers. The timing prompted speculation that Plummer was trying to engineer his arrival in Houston.

We've since heard that Plummer isn't serious about retiring. If he is, he'll potentially be required to cough up a portion of his signing bonus money.

ChronoCross
03-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Plummer chooses retirement over Bucs

DENVER (AP) Jake Plummer poured a glass of water, took a giant gulp and then talked for almost five minutes about how he was officially retiring from the NFL before stepping away from the podium without answering any questions.

http://www.theredzone.org/news/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=5038

GBMelBlount
03-09-2007, 09:47 PM
So now Tampa has Chris Simms, Jake Plummer, and Jeff Garcia. Wow, brilliant GM there.

What a hoot!

GBMelBlount
03-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Plummer chooses retirement over Bucs

DENVER (AP) Jake Plummer poured a glass of water, took a giant gulp and then talked for almost five minutes about how he was officially retiring from the NFL before stepping away from the podium without answering any questions.

http://www.theredzone.org/news/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=5038

What a surprise (cough cough):coffee:

ChronoCross
03-09-2007, 09:56 PM
What a surprise (cough cough):coffee:

haha.. there is more post on plummer to retire not to retire then there is FA action today. I am glad to see we will not see no more post on him. He really has never done anything in the NFL but cough cough up the big games under pressure.:helmet:

MasterOfPuppets
03-10-2007, 12:41 AM
That is were I thought he would go but then again he retires and Broncos trade him is kinda funny and now the bucs want to trade him to the Raiders and he is so called retired. This is one messed up deal. No wonder the Union is trying to stop this.
i say we trade bettis to the raiders!!!!:thumbsup:

ChronoCross
03-11-2007, 06:37 PM
RUMORS PERSIST THAT PLUMMER ISN'T DONE

Although quarterback Jake Plummer has said that he's retiring, plenty of league insiders aren't buying it. The thinking in some circles continues to be that he'll be back.

If, however, he follows through on his intent to retire, Plummer will owe someone a big chunk of money.

It's currently unclear whether the money is owed to the Bucs or to the Broncos. On one hand, there is a belief in Tampa that the Bucs acquired the rights to pursue any previously paid signing bonus money. On the other hand, we're hearing scuttlebutt that the Broncos retained the rights to pursue Plummer for plenty of pesos if he calls it quits.

Regardless of the team that holds the rights to a refund, the decision in the Ashley Lelie matter limits the ability of the Bucs or the Broncos to recover unallocated signing bonus money only.

In Plummer's case, there is $3 million in signing bonus money that covers the final three years of his contract. Although there's another $5.56 million in unallocated bonus money, the fact that these amounts were option bonuses and other guaranteed amounts most likely precludes pursuit thereof.

In Lelie's case, it was determined under the new CBA that the remaining $220,000 in unallocated option bonus money could not be pursued by the Broncos, since it wasn't a signing bonus. In Plummer's case, then, only signing bonus money can be pursued. Based on his contract, that amount is $3 million.

So once Plummer files his retirement papers or fails to report for a mandatory practice, the Bucs or the Broncos (whoever hold the rights to repayment) will have the ability to file a non-injury grievance seeking repayment of the money.

Meanwhile, the trade of Plummer resulted in a cap charge of $8.56 million to the Broncos, and a net cap hit in 2007 of $3.06 million.

Livinginthe past
03-11-2007, 06:45 PM
$3 million is a whole lot of money - you would have to figure that Plummer is aware that this money is owed to whichever team is pursuing it.

He would also be aware that this fact would surface pretty quickly, aswell.

I have rarely seen someone paint themselves into a corner as competently as Plummer did in that last interview - if he comes back now there will be enough egg on his face to keep Ted Washington in omlettes for the rest of his days.

ChronoCross
03-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Plummer should just go up in the mountains and not return. He is turning into another Favre.

Livinginthe past
03-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Plummer should just go up in the mountains and not return. He is turning into another Favre.

I'd say he has another 4 of 5 years of pulling this stunt before he gets close to Lord Favre.

tony hipchest
03-11-2007, 07:24 PM
I'd say he has another 4 of 5 years of pulling this stunt before he gets close to Lord Favre.

I have rarely seen someone paint themselves into a corner as competently as Plummer did in that last interview - if he comes back now there will be enough egg on his face to keep Ted Washington in omlettes for the rest of his days.

Keep it in the blast furnace please.

Thanks

:chuckle:

(these may hurt some bronco and packer fans feelings)

HometownGal
03-12-2007, 07:57 AM

Or.... he could team up with Ricky Williams, share the pipe and live a life of peace and serenity while meditating with a group of aboriginees. :crazy01:

SteelCzar76
03-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Or.... he could team up with Ricky Williams, share the pipe and live a life of peace and serenity while meditating with a group of aboriginees. :crazy01:

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

tony hipchest
03-12-2007, 10:50 AM
i just heard on the radio that plummer and his brother reached the semifinals of the national handball competition, and it took me about 2 seconds to imagine jim romes take going off on him.

freaking handball? whats next? the marble shooting tour and boggle tournaments? dont tell me hes leaving millions on the table so he can hustle kids playing jacks and wall ball at the local playground. i think jakes a shoe-in for carsons cornhole tournament this summer. since it looks like plummers competitive edge will prevent him from giving up sports altogether, look for him to be working out to make the usa curling team for the 2010 winter olympics.

Big D
03-12-2007, 12:55 PM
how did a jake plummer thread reach 3 pages?

ChronoCross
03-12-2007, 07:30 PM
PLUMMER TRADE SMART OR STOOPID?

Buoyed by Peter King's lauding of the decision of the Bucs to send a 2008 draft pick to Denver for the rights to Jake Plummer, various Tampa fans are suggesting that we likewise should heap praise on the Buccaneers' front office for pulling off a deal that allows them to potentially convert a seventh-round pick into a multi-million-dollar windfall.

Sorry, but we can't do it.

As a preliminary matter, King's entry in his MMQB column appears to put to rest the question of whether the Bucs or the Broncos hold paper on Plummer. The mere fact that the draft choice that Tampa sent to Denver will be a seventh-round pick if Plummer never plays implies strongly that the Bucs have secured, at a minimum, the right to pursue any unallocated bonus money.

With that said, we disagree with King's contention that the Bucs will recover up to $7 million from Plummer if he makes good on his intention to retire. Under the new CBA, the only bonuses subject to forfeiture are signing bonuses -- even if a contract was signed before the change was made.

In Plummer's case, only (only?) $3 million in signing bonus money remains unallocated, and thus subject to forfeiture.

Moreover, even if the number is $3 million or $7 million or one . . . billion . . . dollars, the Bucs will have to file a non-injury grievance, push the matter to arbitration, record the arbitration award in a state where Plummer has assets, and then go after the money. What will the Bucs ever get in return? Maybe they should ask the Dolphins about their experiences with Ricky Williams.

At the end of the day, it's about leverage, in our view. The Bucs want to be able to use the threat of Plummer owing a bunch of money to the team to get him to not retire. Then, the Bucs will be in a position to try to flip Plummer to another team for more than the 2008 fourth-rounder that will be sent to Denver if Plummer reports or plays for any team within the next 13 months.

Why else would the Bucs, by all appearances, be putting out phony numbers to the media regarding the amount of money they can recover from Plummer? They want to coerce him into playing, and $7 million is a lot more daunting than $3 million. If push ever came to shove, we doubt that the Bucs would ever put the wheels in motion to bogart $3 million from Plummer's bank account.

Meanwhile, the notion that this was somehow a shrewd business move overlooks the reality that perception is. Reality. For the past nine days, the Bucs have been viewed skeptically by their own fans and laughed at by others for their sudden hoarding of quarterbacks. Even if Tampa never has any intention of thrusting Plummer into the quarterback derby with Jeff Garcia and Chris Simms, the fact that the trade for Plummer went down on the heels of the Garcia arrival sends a strange message, on the surface.

Though most hardcore types will realize that this trade was about the Bucs thinking that they can get an extra pick or two in 2007 at the expense of a fourth-rounder in 2008 (when G.M. Bruce Allen and coach Jon Gruden might no longer be working for the team anyway), casual fans are scratching their heads and wondering whether the Buccaneers really know what they're doing.

Our verdict? The Bucs are trying to outsmart themselves with this one, and it's making them look (in the eyes of the folks who don't live and breathe this stuff) stoopid.

ChronoCross
03-14-2007, 01:38 PM
LAST WORD ON PLUMMER BONUS

Our friend (though if we keep disagreeing with him he might no longer see it that way) Peter King of SI.com revisited the issue of quarterback Jake Plummer's unallocated signing bonus in the Tuesday edition of his MMQB column.

Writes King: "I got several e-mails questioning my fuzzy math -- I think prompted by a profootballtalk.com item -- on the $7 million the Bucs would have coming from the pro-rated signing bonus money from Plummer if he never plays again and the Bucs go after his money. Essentially, Plummer did four contracts with the Broncos while there, and the pro-rated signing bonus comes from these sources: $3 million from the first contract, $2.4 million from the second and $1.656 million from the third. So if the Bucs choose to go after the cash, and they win, Plummer would owe them $7.056 million."

The key here is whether the amounts refer specifically to signing bonuses, or whether they come from option bonuses or other guaranteed payments that weren't signing bonuses. By our calculations, the only true signing bonus money that remains unallocated (and thus subject to forfeiture) is the $3 million figure.

Under the new CBA (as clarified in the Ashley Lelie case), option bonuses are not subject to forfeiture, because the new CBA specifically is limited to signing bonuses. The ruling has prompted multiple league insiders to conclude that only signing bonuses are subject to recovery upon, for example, a premature retirement.

Either way, it's a stiff price tag that the Buccaneers can foist on Plummer if he decides not to play. And we remain convinced that Tampa's objective here isn't to fill up the Glazer family coffers but to leverage Plummer into playing, so that Bucs can then flip the 2008 fourth-round pick into a 2007 selection of greater value.

ChronoCross
03-14-2007, 08:08 PM
BIG DADDY IS IN HIDING

A league source tells us that defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson, who was recently traded from the Fins to the Broncos, is not answering his phone and can't be reached by either team.

Per the source, if Wilkinson doesn't take a physical by Friday, March 16, the deal will be voided.

The thinking in some league circles is that, although Wilkinson says he plans to retire, he wants to be able to play in 2007 without having to participate in an offseason program. Some believe that, if the Broncos or the Dolphins were to tell Wilkinson that he doesn't have to show up for offseason workouts, Wilkinson would relent.

ChronoCross
03-16-2007, 10:57 AM
However, the Broncos and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are hoping the lure of a $5.3 million salary for 2007 and the threat of a roughly $7 million payback will lure Plummer back to the league.

Rest of article;

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_5422136,00.html

verks36
03-16-2007, 11:02 AM
he will be back. JUst like ricky came back plummer will come back the money is to big to turn down

ChronoCross
03-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Broncos | Team extends Wilkinson deadline
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:18:36 -0700

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Denver Broncos and Miami Dolphins have extended the deadline by which DT Dan Wilkinson must report and pass a physical to complete the March 3 trade that sent him from the Dolphins to the Broncos. Wilkinson was expected to report by Friday, March 16, but both teams have decided to extend the deadline indefinitely while the Broncos try to locate Wilkinson and persuade him to report.

ChronoCross
03-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Broncos | Wilkinson update
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 07:17:12 -0700

Mike Klis, of the Denver Post, reports the new deadline for the Denver Broncos to consummate their trade with the Miami Dolphins for DT Dan Wilkinson has been set for March 30. Wilkinson and the Broncos want to ensure that Wilkinson's knee can hold up for a 14th season.

ChronoCross
03-17-2007, 07:31 PM
March 16, 2007
Allen still believes Plummer will play

Some people are harder to convince than others.

A week ago, Jake Plummer stood at the Denver Athletic Club, urged reporters to look into his eyes and hear his voice when he announced his plans to retire from the NFL.

Plummer, 32, had said as much on his website a week earlier after learning the Broncos had traded his rights to the Bucs.

He said as much over the telephone to Bucs coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen.

Rest of Article;
http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2007/03/allen_still_bel.html