PDA

View Full Version : Another lack Luster Free Agent Year

noto45
03-03-2007, 08:23 PM
I for one am a die hard Steeler fan but I am sick of having to get rid of players and not going after top level free agaents. This whole offseason has been lack luster and very dissapointing so far........

OneForTheToe
03-03-2007, 08:48 PM
I for one am a die hard Steeler fan but I am sick of having to get rid of players and not going after top level free agaents. This whole offseason has been lack luster and very dissapointing so far........

Well, if you are a die hard Steelers fan you already know that this is how they have done business for years. And, you measure success competing for the Super Bowls year in and year out, then it is a pretty good way to do business. Or, maybe you would prefer the Rooney's mortgage the future by paying huge amounts to FA and in resigning all of our own aging stars. That way we could suffer through a few 3-13 seasons after we have had to have a fire sale all at one time.

Personally, while sometimes painful, I prefer the Rooney way. At least I know we will be competitive almost every season.

noto45
03-03-2007, 08:57 PM
I agree with what you said but I am not asking them to pay huge amounts and mortgage the future away. i dont know I see where you are coming from but I guess it just gets frustrating....

yinzer-inseattle
03-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Just to see what we miss out on, I've included the top FA from 2006. I've excluded those FAs who ended up staying with their teams. After further review of the players on this list, I'm not sure we're missing out on much. Other than Brees, Hutchinson and Vinatieri who on this list did anything last year? I don't know maybe 2007 has a better crop.

The FA frenzy reminds me of when the rich guys in high school would have a party and invite a bunch of average looking stuck-up debutantes. It makes for a real snorer. I'm glad we go it the way we do. IMO the free agent party is for folks who don't know how to draft and keep core players.

List per Scout.com

Pos- Name- 2005 Team- Signed Team
OG- Steve Hutchinson- Seattle- Minnesota
C- LeCharles Bentley- New Orleans- Cleveland
QB- Drew Brees- San Diego- New Orleans
RB- Edgerrin James- Indianapolis- Arizona
DE- John Abraham- NY Jets- Atlanta
WR- Terrell Owens- Philadelphia- Dallas
OLB- Will Witherspoon- Carolina- St. Louis
CB- Ty Law- NY Jets- Kansas City
CB- Charles Woodson- Oakland- Green Bay
DE- Darren Howard- New Orleans- Philadelphia
WR- Antwaan Randle El- Pittsburgh- Washington
OLB- Julian Peterson- San Francisco- Seattle
OLB- Willie McGinest- New England- Cleveland
WR- David Givens- New England- Tennessee
S- Lawyer Milloy- Buffalo- Atlanta
K- Adam Vinatieri- New England- Indianapolis
S- Adam Archuleta- St. Louis- Washington
WR- Nate Burleson- Minnesota- Seattle
K- Mike Vanderjagt- Indianapolis- Dallas
WR- Joe Jurevicius- Seattle- Cleveland
WR- Keyshawn Johnson- Dallas- Carolina
OG- Larry Allen- Dallas- San Francisco
CB- Ahmed Plummer- San Francisco-
DT- Sam Adams- Buffalo- Cincinnati
WR- Antonio Bryant- Cleveland- San Francisco
S- Corey Chavous- Minnesota- St. Louis
C- Kevin Mawae- NY Jets- Tennessee
DT- Ryan Pickett- St. Louis- Green Bay
QB- Aaron Brooks- New Orleans- Oakland
S- Marquand Manuel- Seattle- Green Bay
QB- Brian Griese- Tampa Bay- Chicago
P- Dave Zastudil- Baltimore- Cleveland
QB- Kerry Collins- Oakland- Tennessee
MLB- Sam Cowart- Minnesota- Houston
QB- Jon Kitna- Cincinnati- Detroit

Suitanim
03-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Yup...FA is a good way to build an expansion team. A good FA pick or two is a good way to help an established team that consistently finishes around or under .500 get over that hump.

But if you think that overspending on players who other teams are willingly sloughing off is the way to win, look about 200 miles West.

OneForTheToe
03-03-2007, 09:35 PM
I agree with what you said but I am not asking them to pay huge amounts and mortgage the future away. i dont know I see where you are coming from but I guess it just gets frustrating....

I share your pain. When Woodson was let go, I was devistated. I just try and step back take a longer term view.

Preacher
03-03-2007, 09:40 PM
I agree. Free agency is fine to make one move... maybe two to fill a hole right now. But the teams have to be careful not to mortgage the future.

Edman
03-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Posts like this are simply inevitable around the FA period in Steeler Land. A few fans whine, cry, and complain about the Steelers losing players and not being big spenders in Free Agency.

If you want a team that spends big in FA, go root for the Redskins. They've been Free Agency champs for years now. What do they have to show for it? Only ONE Playoff appearance since 1999. Meanwhile, look at the Steelers. Only ONE Losing season this decade and a Super Bowl Championship. Yeah, the guys in the Front office as well as the Rooneys are clearly cheap idiots.

Losing your favorite players sucks, but that's the way the Steelers have been doing things. If you've been a longtime Steelers fan, you should know how the Rooneys conduct business.

Elvis
03-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Posts like this are simply inevitable around the FA period in Steeler Land. A few fans whine, cry, and complain about the Steelers losing players and not being big spenders in Free Agency.

If you want a team that spends big in FA, go root for the Redskins. They've been Free Agency champs for years now. What do they have to show for it? Only ONE Playoff appearance since 1999. Meanwhile, look at the Steelers. Only ONE Losing season this decade and a Super Bowl Championship. Yeah, the guys in the Front office as well as the Rooneys are clearly cheap idiots.

Losing your favorite players sucks, but that's the way the Steelers have been doing things. If you've been a longtime Steelers fan, you should know how the Rooneys conduct business.
No, some of this I can agree with and some I will Not.
The Redskins being FA Champs is a good fit.
The Steelers org. being "Clearly Cheap Idiots" is Not a Fair Statement at all to me. For the most part the Steelers have been pretty darn smart about resigning the players that they believe still have a bright future ahead, an exeption might be Rod Woodson. Neil O'Donnell.. was not resigning him a mistake? I dont think so, but I do think that we could have been tittle contenders for years if he had just stayed where he was supposed to and I bet if he had it to do all over again he would do it differently.
:tt02:

fansince'76
03-04-2007, 03:55 PM
The Steelers org. being "Clearly Cheap Idiots" is Not a Fair Statement at all to me. For the most part the Steelers have been pretty darn smart about resigning the players that they believe still have a bright future ahead, an exeption might be Rod Woodson. Neil O'Donnell.. was not resigning him a mistake? I dont think so, but I do think that we could have been tittle contenders for years if he had just stayed where he was supposed to and I bet if he had it to do all over again he would do it differently.

Sarcasm eludes you, apparently....

19ward86
03-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Julian Peterson did a lot in 06', im refering to the free agent list.

SteelShooter
03-04-2007, 09:33 PM

Bro,

Edmon was being sarcastic, not fecetious.

I agree with his post. :thumbsup:

Preacher
03-05-2007, 01:21 AM
Wedo...

LOL... Like most of us... it is hard to "hear" sarcasm on the internet!!

RoethlisBURGHer
03-05-2007, 02:26 AM
It's rare there is a FA I really feel we need.I also have no problem letting a guy go when he wants to much and/or is getting old and less productive.

The only time I really wanted us to keep someone was when we let Rod Woodson walk,that was freaking stupid.

drew102e
03-05-2007, 12:09 PM
should be able to afford a mid-tier FA, gotta add one i think, not like we dont have needs

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2007, 05:53 PM
It doesn't surpise me 1 bit. What do you expect when you are tight on cap room?

polamalufan43
03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
It doesn't surpise me 1 bit. What do you expect when you are tight on cap room?

Not much I'm guessing... but I still think we can get some decent talent from FA.

~Polamalufan43:tt02: