PDA

View Full Version : steelers mull LB Tully Banta-Cain

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
03-05-2007, 12:05 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_496128.html

The Steelers have shown interest in unrestricted free-agent linebacker Tully Banta-Cain, according to an NFL source.

Banta-Cain played outside linebacker for New England in the Patriots' 3-4 defense and he also has the versatility to play defensive end in the 4-3.

The Steelers under new coach Mike Tomlin, who has a 4-3 background in the Tampa-2, are seeking players comfortable playing either the 3-4 or 4-3. With the release of outside linebacker Joey Porter, the Steelers need a veteran replacement at that position.

Banta-Cain, a seventh-round draft pick in 2003, played all 16 games in 2006 (including five starts), recording 43 tackles and 5 1/2 sacks. He has 8 1/2 career sacks.

Banta-Cain, 26, visited St. Louis last Friday. He has also received interest from Miami and San Francisco.

Livinginthe past
03-05-2007, 05:33 AM
TBC is a solid player, spent alot of time behind quality veterans over the length of his career and finally got his chance last year.

He is a good pass rusher who sometimes struggles with setting the edge on run defense - if you could get him at a reasonable rate his experience with versatility (4-3/3-4) would be a big bonus.

I have a feeling Miami will make a strong play at him.

NM

19ward86
03-05-2007, 07:36 AM
we would be better off with letting james harrison start, or drafting a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Counselor
03-05-2007, 08:25 AM
we would be better off with letting james harrison start, or drafting a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Sure, I'm sure Harrison WILL start. But if Harrison goes down to injury (not unheard of), you gotta have some veteran help---we're a bit thin at LB.

This is similar to the Ryan Clark signing last year---sign a vet and draft Anthony Smith in the 3rd round.

drew102e
03-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Sure, I'm sure Harrison WILL start. But if Harrison goes down to injury (not unheard of), you gotta have some veteran help---we're a bit thin at LB.

This is similar to the Ryan Clark signing last year---sign a vet and draft Anthony Smith in the 3rd round.

yep, agreed, cant be too deep on defense

SteelerFanInCA
03-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Looks like the Niners beat us to it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2789594

ajs8207
03-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Looks like the Niners beat us to it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2789594

The offer was probably too big for us to match. If we could have matched it, he probably would have taken a trip here before deciding.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-06-2007, 02:11 PM
i love his agent's "he's intrigued by the steelers tradition" crap...blah, blah, blah.

it's all about the money, plain and simple.

Sharkissle29
03-06-2007, 02:19 PM
i love his agent's "he's intrigued by the steelers tradition" crap...blah, blah, blah.

it's all about the money, plain and simple.

imagine if money was never a factor...the players that would want to come here...i guess thats just the nfl these days

polamalufan43
03-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Well, until the money issue is known, I'd say it was a pretty good deal.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

dunkuntou
03-06-2007, 02:41 PM
We still need to sign a LB to bring some depth. We need to draft one as well but you can't have your primary backup be a rookie, especially since Clark Haggans is a free agent next year.

There are still some decent linebackers out there....I guy I would be really interested in would be Antwaan Peek. He is no Joey Porter but he would be fairly cheap, would compete with Harrison for a starting spot and could fit in very nicely

tony hipchest
03-06-2007, 05:04 PM
i believe peek signed with someone already. the browns.