PDA

View Full Version : Open Plea to Tomlin: No more Run, Run, Pass

drew102e
03-05-2007, 10:57 AM
I for one, hope to abandon this predictable 1st down-run, 2nd down-run the other way, third down-screen pass Rut we got in last year, lets mix it up, lets keep the opposition guessing...at least in the first half.

tony hipchest
03-05-2007, 11:07 AM
know what would be a change of pace and really freak some teams out? if we actually ran the ball on 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 3 rather than going shotgun.

The Duke
03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
know what would be a change of pace and really freak some teams out? if we actually ran the ball on 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 3 rather than going shotgun.

I love that idea, and yes we do need to mix up our run and pass plays, I haven't thought about it but it might get really predictable what we are going to do, and this could show an improvement for Big Ben after last season with the sacks and interceptions.

wise1s
03-05-2007, 02:09 PM
We made it easy for defenses to stop us, they always knew waht was coming. Everybody wants to blame Big Ben but he can only go with what was called. Oh, and the O-Line could've provided a little more time.

SteelersWyo
03-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Seems to me the O line could use some help. Ben made some bad plays last year, but I think he didn't have the time to set up properly. Parker did have a good year though.

memphissteelergirl
03-05-2007, 03:08 PM
I for one, hope to abandon this predictable 1st down-run, 2nd down-run the other way, third down-screen pass Rut we got in last year, lets mix it up, lets keep the opposition guessing...at least in the first half.

:iagree:

TackleMeBen
03-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Ben didn't have time to blink that O line was awful

ajs8207
03-05-2007, 04:20 PM
I agree. The playcalling was questionable at times last year. Maybe its a good thing we have Tomlin instead of Wiz

ARKIESTEEL
03-05-2007, 04:24 PM
The run run pass is what killed us in 05 it got better in 06 when we would pass on first or
2nd down some. seems like we went back to the R R P last year

fansince'76
03-05-2007, 04:27 PM
The run run pass is what killed us in 05 it got better in 06 when we would pass on first or
2nd down some. seems like we went back to the R R P last year

Yes, but in '06 passing on 1st wasn't really a strength - thanks to boneheaded turnovers (namely muffed kicks) we often found ourselves down 7-14 points right from the jump....

ARKIESTEEL
03-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Yes, but in '06 passing on 1st wasn't really a strength - thanks to boneheaded turnovers (namely muffed kicks) we often found ourselves down 7-14 points right from the jump....

Let me re say what I ment....Bens first year when we lost to the colts in the playoffs the Run Run Pass killed us it got better the year we went to the super bowl 2005. but last year it got right back to the run run pass thing

I get messed up caues some folks call the super bowl steelers the 06 Steelers cause that when the game was played

ARKIESTEEL
03-05-2007, 04:35 PM

And you are right as rain about the kick returns...we put ourselves out of the playoffs with this

fansince'76
03-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Let me re say what I ment....Bens first year when we lost to the colts in the playoffs the Run Run Pass killed us it got better the year we went to the super bowl 2005. but last year it got right back to the run run pass thing

I get messed up caues some folks call the super bowl steelers the 06 Steelers cause that when the game was played

I completely agree with you that we need to mix it up more. I just think the main reason we came out passing on 1st this past season was due to getting behind early, rather than a fundamental change in playcalling. I would like to see that change this upcoming year. Nothing wrong with running on first down, but when my 6-year-old nephew can predict exactly what we're doing on any given 1st down, it's time to change things up a bit.

Preacher
03-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I completely agree with you that we need to mix it up more. I just think the main reason we came out passing on 1st this past season was due to getting behind early, rather than a fundamental change in playcalling. I would like to see that change this upcoming year. Nothing wrong with running on first down, but when my 6-year-old nephew can predict exactly what we're doing on any given 1st down, it's time to change things up a bit.

You are absolutely right.

I would love to see them spread 4 wide on first down, and pass. then, next first down, do the same and run it up the middle. Go to a FULL backfield on second down, and run a screen, or throw to the Tight end. Heck.. Bring Wille out of the full backfield up the middle on a pass route.. streak him 45 yards. Most safeties can not catch him.

We just HAVE to stay away from predictability.

polamalufan43
03-05-2007, 05:02 PM
I definately we need to mix it up some, but I still think we should have new plays plus the old ways combined some how.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

t-sizzlez
03-05-2007, 08:24 PM
ummm if u ask me, we didnt do that this past year.. if nething i found myself thinking to do the opposite of evrything they ran. run when i say pass, pass when i say run, and for goodness sake, plz no more shotguns on 3rd and 2! Go Tomlin!!
Go 07 Steelers!!! the year of the return of our domination!!

ChronoCross
03-05-2007, 09:33 PM
You are absolutely right.

I would love to see them spread 4 wide on first down, and pass. then, next first down, do the same and run it up the middle. Go to a FULL backfield on second down, and run a screen, or throw to the Tight end. Heck.. Bring Wille out of the full backfield up the middle on a pass route.. streak him 45 yards. Most safeties can not catch him.

We just HAVE to stay away from predictability.

Totally agree.. and with them saying there going to run a lot of 3 and 4 wide outs on 1st and 2nd down unlike what we did before will leave a lot of options open for Ben. Ben will have the option to change play at the line and ether run our pass depending on the defensive set. I think it will totally help in us against the defense instead of the defense knowing most of the time what we are doing and it will open up more holes for willie. I think the new offense will look better this coming year then it did this last year and years before.

SteelShooter
03-05-2007, 10:31 PM

Bro,

You are a little mistaken. Ben's first year in 2004, we lost to the Patriots in the AFC Championship game, not to the Colts. We did not even play the Colts that year.

No harm, No foul.

ARKIESTEEL
03-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Bro,

You are a little mistaken. Ben's first year in 2004, we lost to the Patriots in the AFC Championship game, not to the Colts. We did not even play the Colts that year.

No harm, No foul.

I forget sometimes sorry your right we beat the jets and lost the next game, A part of me trying to shut it out

Feel like a big dumby for getting that wrong.

drew102e
03-07-2007, 01:41 PM
The whole run-run-pass strategy worked OK when we had Bettis and the first two plays left you with third-and-2.

It doesn't work so well when the first two plays are Parker up the middle for 1 yard, Parker into the pile for no gain, and it's third-and-9.

yeah that stunk, they can still run on first down, just mix it up is all i am saying, and stop lining up like a run and then running, the line just isnt that good anymore