View Full Version : Steelers' Townsend busted in bar fight

tony hipchest
03-05-2007, 02:42 PM
*sigh* what a boring off season

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_496246.html

By Jill King Greenwood
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, March 5, 2007

Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Deshea Townsend and a practice squad team member surrendered to police after getting into a fistfight at a Station Square nightclub, authorities said today.
Townsend was at Margarita Mama's at 1:45 a.m. Friday when Chris Graham, whose age and address were not available, began arguing with practice squad member Raymond Burgess, Pittsburgh police said.

Burgess and Graham began fighting and Townsend jumped into the fray, said police spokeswoman Diane Richard.

"Mr. Burgess threw punches, hitting Mr. Graham in the face," Richard said. "As he was beating Mr. Graham, Mr. Townsend jumped in and started hitting the victim with a closed fist in the head and face."

At one point during the fight, Graham was knocked to the ground, Richard said. A witness helped Graham up and the two left the nightclub and went to the city police zone station in the South Side to file a report.

Summary citations for simple assault were issued for Townsend and Burgess, and the two surrendered Sunday at Pittsburgh Municipal Court, Downtown, Richard said.

"Mr. Graham indicated that he knew the men he was arguing with were Pittsburgh Steelers," Richard said.

Graham suffered a 1-inch cut under his eye and a bloody lip, but a police report didn't indicate whether he sought medical treatment. It wasn't known today what the men were fighting about.

Representatives for the Steelers couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

Fire Haley
03-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Let's see...you're drinking in a bar...it's almost 2am....a fistfight breaks out...

Must be a woman's involved somewhere...

Oh well - at least he didn't get shot by a stripper.

TackleMeBen
03-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Oh lord, please tell me we arent starting to act like the bengals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banging:

Fire Haley
03-05-2007, 03:23 PM
The more important question might be....who the hell is Raymond Burgess?

TackleMeBen
03-05-2007, 03:26 PM

lol.. and which woman was involved??? lol

jjpro11
03-05-2007, 03:50 PM
this offseason just keeps getting better and better. :smile:

Prosdo
03-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Smart move Deshea....sheesh

fansince'76
03-05-2007, 04:01 PM

Unemployed, after this little incident.

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Stupid thing to do if ya ask me. Townsend jumped in? Making it 2 on 1? That's a p%$hied thing to do. Hope Tomlin steps in now and makes an example out of these two guys.

fansince'76
03-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Stupid thing to do if ya ask me. Townsend jumped in? Making it 2 on 1? That's a p%$hied thing to do. Hope Tomlin steps in now and makes an example out of these two guys.

Agreed, but I think this still puts Tomlin in a tough spot - if he lays the law down too hard, could he possibly "lose" the team, so to speak?

Newzfoxjr
03-05-2007, 04:15 PM
So the Burgess guy was already winning and he jumped in?

ajs8207
03-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Not the best first impression to make on Tomlin

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2007, 04:41 PM
This just in:

Summons To Be Issued For Steelers Deshea Townsend

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH Police have issued a summons for Steelers cornerback Deshea Townsend.

Officials say Townsend could be charged with simple assault after a fight at a Station Square bar over the weekend.

KDKA’s David Highfield talked with one of the men, Ray Burgess, who was involved in that fight.

Burgess says Townsend was in no way involved in the incident.

Townsend has been with the NFL for 10 years.

Counselor
03-05-2007, 04:44 PM
I want to know what this Graham guy said to them. Don't you? Townsend never seemed overly hot headed to me.

I will be interested to see what Tomlin does. I wish mini camp was sooner----there is too much confusion and unrest right now.

tony hipchest
03-05-2007, 04:50 PM
I want to know what this Graham guy said to them. Don't you? Townsend never seemed overly hot headed to me.

.thats what i was thinking. not like i know him or anything but just from seeng the little you do on tv, he never really seemed that volotile, or that he was a brawler or anything.

anyways, on a national level, i doubt this barely even gets mentionned. im sure some locally will call for a stiffer punishment than pacman jones has got in his 10 altercations.

Atlanta Dan
03-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Just another episode of All My Steelers:dang:

As another poster said, at least nobody got cut or shot.

As a wealthy pro athlete, Deshea has to know that being the third man to enter a barroom brawl is idiotic and an invitation to a civil lawsuit for $$$ - pretty damn stupid.

Let's see what the non-Steeler perp is like before passing judgment.

polamalufan43
03-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Well, I have to say he seemed like a level-headed guy. Probably someone insulted someone's family....

In any case, this will be a test for Tomlin to see if he will be tough on players and not be like a best friend, or if he will turn the Steelers into the Bungals of PA...

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

83-Steelers-43
03-05-2007, 05:16 PM
The manager at Margarita Momma's stated on the news that Townsend had nothing to do the fight. Graham stated that Townsend threw punches, the manager stated Townsend never threw a punch.

Eitherway, nothing good ever happens to athletes after midnight.

tony hipchest
03-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Eitherway, nothing good ever happens to athletes after midnight.unless youre wilt chamberlain! :chuckle:

polamalufan43
03-05-2007, 05:22 PM
The manager at Margarita Momma's stated on the news that Townsend had nothing to do the fight. Graham stated that Townsend threw punches, the manager stated Townsend never threw a punch.

Eitherway, nothing good ever happens to athletes after midnight.

Figures, no offense to him, but that's low to try and blame it on someone else cause he's too much of a coward to go down alone.

83-Steelers-43
03-05-2007, 05:22 PM
unless youre wilt chamberlain! :chuckle:

lol, good point.

19ward86
03-05-2007, 05:47 PM
im not worried about townsend, he wont be on the team for much longer anyway.

abowens
03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
How does a reputable Pittsburgh news agency report that this guy is a practice squad player when he isn't? Of all people they should know, or have quick access, to a current roster. What a bunch of idiots. It's really embarrassing for them. Talk about absence of journalistic integrity. Based upon that gaffe, and a recent report that Deshea denies involvement, you cannot trust anything about the initial story. Deshea will end up clean on this one I'm sure.

abowens
03-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Interestingly, the Trib Review has changed their story. The text copied in the inital post of this thread reads differently now.

tony hipchest
03-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Interestingly, the Trib Review has changed their story. The text copied in the inital post of this thread reads differently now.does that mean steelerfans can take townsend off the cross and put down the hammer now?

BOXCAR JOEY
03-05-2007, 06:16 PM
I think this just might be an isolated incident involving steelers members. sometimes people make a bad choices in the heat of the moment. its called being human. anyways simple assault in pitt is nothing and it can be plead down to disturbing the peace which ranges to 100$-1000$ fine.

Man, I wish I could be punched by a superbowl ring. Some people are just lucky I say...

83-Steelers-43
03-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Man, I wish I could be punched by a superbowl ring. Some people are just lucky I say...

Today's best line of the day...:toofunny:

tony hipchest
03-05-2007, 06:35 PM

:rofl:

NV STEELERS 723
03-05-2007, 07:11 PM
"he said , she said BS ! "

HometownGal
03-05-2007, 08:28 PM
lol.. and which woman was involved??? lol

Tom Brady was in town? :jawdrop: :wink02:

TackleMeBen
03-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Tom Brady was in town? :jawdrop: :wink02:

if he was, he better be wearing that raincoat lol..
:storkg:

Livinginthe past
03-06-2007, 01:39 AM
So was DeShea there or not?

Im reading on PFT (boo hiss PFT) and they are saying that the story has been altered to Townsend being the only Steeler there yet the police statement reads "Mr. Graham indicated that he knew the men he was arguing with were Pittsburgh Steelers," Richard said.

That to me is a strong indication that there were multiple Steelers involved (something you would imagine the police would get correct) - yet the other man is supposed to be a bar tender?

What an odd episode.

Its compounded that apparently DeShea is denying all knowledge of being arrested or even being in a bar fight.

Maybe the whole Brian St. Pierre 'lookalike' thing has taken a new turn - instead of claiming to be a profootballer to get laid...they are doing it to get laid...out.

NM

Hildebrand
03-06-2007, 01:56 AM
I'm siding with Deshea on this one, solely based on the fact that the story doesn't make any sense, and too many witnesses are saying that Townsend wasn't involved in away. I could be wrong, but I wonder if Margarita Mama's has any cameras where this fight happened?

polamalufan43
03-06-2007, 02:25 PM
^^^^I agree. Deshea seems like a creditable source for now, and since all the stories are taking different turns. also, JUST CHECK THE FRICKEN CAMERAS!
If they don't have any, then get some...

stlrtruck
03-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Off to cinci with you mr. townsend!!! If you going to act that way, you can live that way!

polamalufan43
03-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Off to cinci with you mr. townsend!!! If you going to act that way, you can live that way!

Pfh, that's a good punishment for any football player.

TackleMeBen
03-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Pfh, that's a good punishment for any football player.

isnt that considered cruel and unusual punishment??? i have the best picture for this thread, but cant figure out how to post it..lol..

augustashark
03-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Good thing MR. Graham did'nt swing back, because we all know that Townsend does'nt play defense!

Ward86MVP
03-08-2007, 02:26 PM
People, this was a bar fight and all kinds of things happen during bar fights. Of course this guy thinks Deshea hit him. Even if Deshea's friend hit him, this guy knows better because he then has grounds for a civil suit against a Steeler.

I believe Deshea on this one. He's never been in trouble before, and even if he is this time, it was just a bar fight. Those are healthy now and then :-).

Big D
03-08-2007, 03:05 PM
I have no doubt that townsend will be released after this incident. I think he has been very disapointing the past few years anyways

polamalufan43
03-08-2007, 03:06 PM
I have no doubt that townsend will be released after this incident. I think he has been very disapointing the past few years anyways

I can honestly say now more than ever that I believe Deshea and that the Rooney's just might give him another try.

MJ5150
03-08-2007, 11:40 PM
The manager at Margarita Momma's stated on the news that Townsend had nothing to do the fight.

This manager wants to make sure that other Steeler players come back to Margarita Momma's too!

Why do people get so judgemental about people who are in bars at 1:45AM? I've been in a bar at 1:45AM before. It's no big deal. :smile:

-Mike

stlrtruck
03-09-2007, 07:43 AM
This manager wants to make sure that other Steeler players come back to Margarita Momma's too!

Why do people get so judgemental about people who are in bars at 1:45AM? I've been in a bar at 1:45AM before. It's no big deal. :smile:

-Mike

I don't think it's about non-pro athletes being out at 1:45am, it's those that are in the main stay of the media. It's the same as my teenage children being out that late - NOTHING GOOD CAN COME OF IT!

klick81
03-09-2007, 09:32 AM
It's the same as my teenage children being out that late - NOTHING GOOD CAN COME OF IT!

Come on now. You can't compare a grown ass man who has the right and ability to make his own decisions to a pimply faced teenager with braces who can't even be out during school hours without being harrassed by the police.

These are grown men. Contrary to what many of us believe, there is a nighlife (though i choose not to partake in it) that IS extremely fun without it having to be dangerous. Not everyone that has millions of dollars in the bank will chose to stay home on a Friday night and watch a movie with popcorn.

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2007, 09:41 AM

-Mike

I'm not being judgemental at all. I don't care if they stay out late nor did I ever state they should stay inside their homes after midnight.

All I'm saying is that nothing good comes from it when you are an athlete. Drunks picking fights with the "big time athlete" type of situations tend to occur. If you want to take that gamble as an athlete, go for it. It's your choice and right.

MJ5150
03-09-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm not being judgemental at all. I don't care if they stay out late nor did I ever state they should stay inside their homes after midnight.

All I'm saying is that nothing good comes from it when you are an athlete....

Then my comment was not directed to you. :smile:

But come on now on comment number two. Are you serious?

Thousands of athletes from all the major sports and then some go out until the wee hours of the morning many times a week during the course of a year. How many times do these stories pop up? 10 times during a year, maybe 15?

-Mike

TackleMeBen
03-09-2007, 11:44 AM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/bungholesmonopoly2.gif

fansince'76
03-09-2007, 11:47 AM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/bungholesmonopoly2.gif

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

wv2kybohntr
03-10-2007, 11:16 AM
I honestly hope Townsend was involved. I already put him down for 1/2 a sack. That would mean he is workong in the off season to be more productive than he has been.

klick81
03-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I honestly hope Townsend was involved. I already put him down for 1/2 a sack. That would mean he is workong in the off season to be more productive than he has been.

Lmao...that makes no sense, but it did make me smile.

83-Steelers-43
05-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Judge drops assault charge against DeShea Townsend

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, May 7, 2007

A simple assault citation against Steelers cornerback Deshea Townsend was dismissed today in Pittsburgh Municipal Court based on witness testimony, according to the District Attorney's office.

"During the hearing there was substantial testimony from two witnesses that indicated (Townsend) was not involved in the fight," said Mike Manko, a spokesperson in the District Attorney's office.

Townsend, along with a companion, Raymond Burgess, were accused by a third party, Chris Graham, with being involved in an altercation early March 2 at Margarita Mama's in Station Square.

Burgess and Graham began fighting and Townsend got involved, according to a police spokesperson. At one point, Burgess knocked Graham to the ground. Graham suffered a 1-inch cut under his eye and a bloody lip.

Summary citations for simple assault were issued for Townsend and Burgess, who surrendered March 4 at Pittsburgh Municipal Court, Downtown.

At today's hearing that included testimony from six witnesses, Judge Cathleen Bubash dismissed charges against Townsend based on "insufficient evidence," according to Robert Del Greco, Townsend's Pittsburgh-based attorney.

"The actual victim of the alleged assault could not testify that Deshea hit him. He heard that from other sources that didn't testify," Del Greco said. "I had four witnesses that say Deshea was not involved, and the victim and the Commonwealth's witness could not say that Deshea was involved. So the product of all that testimony was that there was no evidence to suggest that Deshea Townsend was involved in the fight."

Burgess, Townsend's co-defendant, had his case postponed for 90 days with a requirement that he attend an anger-management course. If Burgess successfully completes the course, he will be permitted to plead down to a summary offense of harassment, Del Greco said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_506468.html

fansince'76
05-07-2007, 03:54 PM
For Deshea's sake, I hope he stops hanging out with that Burgess character - guy sounds like bad news. Might not be just a fistfight next time.

Stlrs4Life
05-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Good, now Deshea needs to stay away from this Burgess guy.

The Duke
05-07-2007, 04:22 PM
great news deshea...now on to training

TackleMeBen
05-07-2007, 07:20 PM
For Deshea's sake, I hope he stops hanging out with that Burgess character - guy sounds like bad news. Might not be just a fistfight next time.

Maybe we can see if this Burgess guy can go hang out with the Bengals...:flap:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I don't really think Townsend's friend is someone he needs to steer clear from.

Fights happen,and from the way it sounds,the guy was defending himself.

It probally went down like this:

Guy is pissed the Townsend and his friend are at the bar,Townsend probally is getting more attention that this dude.

Guy knows he can't go after Townsend,so after a few drinks he decides to ball up and go after his friend.

So dude goes after his friend,ends up losing the fight,and files chargs agaist him and Townsend hoping to get some cash.

This a$sh0le is probally kicking himself right now.I hope Townsend comes back at hom with a defimation of character lawsuit.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-07-2007, 08:10 PM
can he play linebacker? :))

SteelCityMan786
05-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Amen to that.