PDA

View Full Version : New Arena Discussion

Pages : 1 2 [3]

SteelCityMan786
02-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Hey, they said they wanted jobs with no questions asked!!! :banana:

"Lord, I apologize... and be with the starving Pygmies down there in New Guinea. Amen." - Larry the Cable Guy

Well Said. :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

X-Terminator
02-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Hill group goes to court against arena

And that right there should have brought an end to all negotiations on part of the city/county/Penguins.

The sad part about all of this is that most of us actually do work for a living, but are having our reputations dragged through the mud by a handful of brain-dead idiots - as usual. I talked to a woman who lives on Webster Ave. in the Hill and she doesn't understand what the big deal is. She, of course, has a job as a visiting nurse. So though she is only one person, not everyone up there is jumping on the One Hill bandwagon.

83-Steelers-43
02-16-2008, 04:57 PM
HEY HILL DISTRICT, THE JUDGE JUST CALLED! YOU'VE ALREADY LOST!

:fingers::fingers::fingers:

:toofunny:

While in all right, they should lose, I don't know anymore.

I'm hoping since it will be held in a court of law, the groups these scumbags have on their side will have no bearing. Groups like the District Consensus Group, Preservation Pittsburgh, the Black Political Empowerment Project. Might as well add the NAACP, I'm sure they will jump in on the fun as long as they get a piece of the pie. Groups these bums use as muscle so to speak.

That's what I'm hoping, but in today's world, you never know. I wouldn't be shocked to see them win and have all those 'hard working and classy residents' up there take more money out of my pocket only to watch it go to hell.

Nothing new. :coffee:

83-Steelers-43
02-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Well Said. :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Why thank you. :smile:

I'm just bowing to the 'demands' of those who are owed so much in life from me, my friends and my family. Afterall, it is our fault the Hill is in the condition it is in today.

Who do you think supplies the crack up there? Yep, your looking at him yo. I think it's only fair that I give back in a positive manner, like basically giving them my check book. :chicken:

SteelCityMan786
02-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Why thank you. :smile:

I'm just bowing to the 'demands' of those who are owed so much in life from me, my friends and my family. Afterall, it is our fault the Hill is in the condition it is in today.

Who do you think supplies the crack up there? Yep, your looking at him yo. I think it's only fair that I give back in a positive manner, like basically giving them my check book. :chicken:

One Hill Coalition.

83-Steelers-43
02-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Patrol outside arena nets drugs, cash
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As the Penguins played the Florida Panthers inside the Mellon Arena Tuesday night, a car was stopped outside with a cargo of marijuana and a safe with $6,500.

Pittsburgh Police didn't know that as they approached the vehicle at 9:30 p.m. Instead, officers were on routine patrol as a deterrent after a rash of thefts from vehicles at the arena.

Officers told a man sitting in the passenger seat about the recent thefts and asked for identification. They smelled marijuana and the man handed them a dope-filled cigar.

A release from police said they placed a man from Fayette County under arrest but did not say what they charged him with.

Later, after the vehicle was taken to the tow pound, a search of the trunk turned up five to six pounds of marijuana, drug paraphernalia and a safe with $6,500 cash.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08052/859369-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
02-21-2008, 05:59 PM
were on routine patrol as a deterrent after a rash of thefts from vehicles at the arena.

What is this?!?!? Crime near the arena?!?!?!

And in other news, water is wet and fire continues to be hot. :yawn:

SteelCityMan786
02-21-2008, 08:39 PM
What is this?!?!? Crime near the arena?!?!?!

And in other news, water is wet and fire continues to be hot. :yawn:

:fingers: and I just used this smiley to flip off the demanding hill district residents. :sofunny:

Borski
03-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Any new news about the arena? and when are then gonna get around to imploding the old hospital?

SteelCityMan786
03-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Any new news about the arena? and when are then gonna get around to imploding the old hospital?

When the hill district gets double the free money they get now. :toofunny:

Borski
03-02-2008, 12:35 AM
They should just be happy with the new arena, would they rather have an old abandoned hospital as an eyesore and potential area for criminals to hang out at?

At least a new arena could bring new jobs into the area and boost the economy.

SteelCityMan786
03-02-2008, 01:04 AM
They should just be happy with the new arena, would they rather have an old abandoned hospital as an eyesore and potential area for criminals to hang out at?

yeah but they want to be considered over those who are already hired to do those jobs.

Borski
03-02-2008, 01:40 AM
yeah but they want to be considered over those who are already hired to do those jobs.

they ever heard of equal opportunity employment? :dang: jobs go to the best qualified people

83-Steelers-43
03-02-2008, 08:35 AM

First, no news on St. Francis Hospital. It's still standing, well partly. I have no idea when they plan on bringing that thing down completely.

Second, they don't care about the arena and how it makes the area look or what's good for the whole city. If that were the case they would have backed the Isle of Capri. Instead, they saw a chance to get free handouts if it went to Barden. If they cared so much about how that area looked, they would try cleaning it up.

It's funny, I keep hearing about how the Penguins and the city are building it on Hill property. It's directly across the street from where the present arena is standing. It's uptown Pittsburgh. It's not like they are building it directly in the Hill. Hell, grocery stores are scared to build anything up there, why would the city and the Penguins?

Hypothetically, even if the Penguins built it on Hill property, does that give them the right to ask for handouts and free jobs, no questions asked? I don't think so. I know one thing for sure, if they built the arena down the street from where I live, I wouldn't be seeing a cent or getting free jobs. Double standard there I guess? Just pretend it doesn't exist.

As for the jobs, what's there to say? They want free jobs, no questions asked. Best man for the job? Not in this case. Equal opportunity employment? That only flys one way these days it seems. Funny huh? For some reason, they feel they are owed those jobs (along with a blank check using my money). Once again, great message to send to your kids. Scary really. :coffee:

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 01:14 PM
:coffee:

More than 35 people, many from the Hill District, testified before City Council this morning in support of a community benefits agreement around the proposed replacement for Mellon Arena.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08063/862153-100.stm

SteelCityMan786
03-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Hill: Yeah we want our free jobs. We don't need qualifications to do the job. We're better then the rest.

The Rest Of Us: Apply for it and get in line and earn like the rest of us.

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Hill: Yeah we want our free jobs. We don't need qualifications to do the job. We're better then the rest.

The Rest Of Us: Apply for it and get in line and earn like the rest of us.

Not in this day and age. Why do that when you can demand and threaten?

I love some of the quotes I get to read once a week from these idiots.....

"We demand justice."

I demand you to stop asking for the money that I actually work for. Go look up Don Barden. He will save you, remember?

"We don't want a handout."

:toofunny: Am I'm the f-ing Easter Bunny.

SteelCityMan786
03-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Not in this day and age. Why do that when you can demand and threaten?

I love some of the quotes I get to read once a week from these idiots.....

I demand you to stop asking for the money that I actually work for.

LOL, no comment.

This is coming from a "neighborhood community activist". This piece of work has done a great job over the years with her 'community'.

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

That's the Hill Mentality.

Same here. I just officially got my summer job today.

83-Steelers-43
03-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Activists, Pens meet for 1st time in months
By Jeremy Boren
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 6, 2008

Pittsburgh Penguins officials met for the first time in months Wednesday with a Hill District group vying for public and team subsidies to improve the neighborhood where a $290 million hockey arena is being built.

Team officials had previously declined to attend a series of talks with Mayor Luke Ravenstahl, Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato and One Hill, a group of Hill District residents, union employees and business owners.

The city-county Sports & Exhibition Authority is building an 18,000-seat hockey arena in the Hill District. The Penguins will be the main tenant.

Evan Frazier, One Hill's chief negotiator, said he was pleased team officials agreed to meet with him, but he didn't know when a deal might be reached.

Penguins President David Morehouse and team consultant Ron Porter attended the meeting.

Under discussion is the creation of a Neighborhood Partnership Program, a tool under the state Department of Community and Economic Development that offers tax credits to corporations that agree to sponsor nonprofit organizations, such as One Hill, said Yarone Zober, Ravenstahl's chief of staff.

One Hill is seeking subsidies to build a grocery store in the Hill District, housing and a YMCA on Centre Avenue. The group wants support for social services and job training programs.

In addition, One Hill is negotiating for creation and control of a development fund, but Ravenstahl and Onorato have balked at that request, saying neither the city nor the county will provide a "handout."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_555755.html

83-Steelers-43
03-06-2008, 11:15 AM
In addition, One Hill is negotiating for creation and control of a development fund, but Ravenstahl and Onorato have balked at that request, saying neither the city nor the county will provide a "handout."

Nice to see Luke and Dan still have a pair to some degree. That was beautiful.

SteelCityMan786
03-09-2008, 08:50 AM

Nice to see Luke and Dan still have a pair to some degree. That was beautiful.

Good Work Mayor and Executive. :sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
03-13-2008, 07:13 PM
It's time for me to present a this day in Penguins Hockey History.

Today SCM goes back to this day in 2007.

The week before Penguins fans heard the tragic news an impasse was declared on Arena Talks. This meant the team could possibly move to Kansas City, Las Vegas, or Houston.

But late at night, when most Penguins fans were asleep on the east coast before work/school the next day, we heard the words that we were hoping to hear since Mario Lemieux bought the franchise in 1999.

The Pittsburgh Penguins, Local, and State officials have come to agreement on a new arena deal.

Happy One year Anniversary KC since we gave you the bird. You still have no hockey team in that ugly place they call sprint center.

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Hospital will be blasted for arena after all
'Controlled-collapse' failed last month
Friday, March 14, 2008
By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Forget the "controlled collapse." The real hardware is coming out in the latest attempt to bring down the defiant St. Francis Central Hospital.

After failing last month to take down the 10-story, 350,000-square-foot building using a technique called "controlled collapse," contractor Homrich Inc. will employ explosives to do the job.

The implosion is scheduled for 7 a.m. on March 22, according to the Pittsburgh-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority.

Homrich made the decision to implode the hospital in talks with the SEA and its consultants, said Doug Straley, SEA project executive.

"Our consultants agreed this was the safest, quickest way, using the best technology, to bring the building down," he said.

Mr. Straley said the contractor will take steps to protect two nearby religious buildings, Epiphany Church and Beth Hamedrash Hagodol-Beth Jacob Synagogue, from damage during the implosion. He did not believe there would be a need to do the same for Mellon Arena, located across Centre Avenue from the hospital.

The SEA is taking down the hospital to help clear the path for the new $290 million arena, which will be built between Centre and Fifth avenues. The building was one of 13 properties taken for the project.

Implosions also were used to bring down Three Rivers Stadium, a senior citizens high-rise on the North Side to make way for PNC Park and the roof of the old David L. Lawrence Convention Center.

Last month, contractors tried another method, the controlled collapse, which used precise cuts through more than 300 I-beams and steel cables in an effort to create a chain reaction to drop the hospital.

But the steel and concrete structure proved to be too difficult to budge, forcing the SEA back to the drawing board.

Some people near the hospital already have been notified of the new plan to implode the building.

At Washington Plaza apartments on Centre Avenue, residents have been told there will be no need to evacuate the building. However, the SEA will provide a bus for residents who don't want to stay. It will take them into the Hill District to watch the implosion.

Residents also have been asked to check their walls and ceilings for any pre-existing cracks in advance of March 22.

Mr. Straley said there likely will be a place to watch the implosion at the Melody Tent lot above the arena. The SEA is expected to release further details on the implosion next week.

Homrich, which was awarded an $868,000 contract for the demolition, has until June to complete the work. The Penguins hope to start construction of the arena this summer, with completion by the start of the 2010-11 season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08074/865119-61.stm

SteelCityMan786
03-14-2008, 07:26 PM
On March 22nd.

RIP St. Francis Hospital.

SteelCityMan786
03-15-2008, 12:38 AM
http://www.pgh-sea.com/images/ArenaMasterDevPlan.pdf

The Arena Master Plan.

SteelCityMan786
05-06-2008, 11:07 PM
START DIGGING INTO THE GROUND!!!!!!!

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=362675

New Arena Plan Approved by City Planning Commission
May 6, 2008, 6:18 PM EDT

The City Planning Commission on Tuesday approved the project development plan for the new multi-purpose arena that will serve as the future home of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

“We’re very happy,” Penguins CEO Ken Sawyer told reporters after the commission voted unanimously for approval. “There are several stages to building the arena and this, certainly, is a very important one.”

During the presentation before the commission, HOK architect Wayne London also unveiled several night-time renderings of the new arena for the first time.

“The evening shots really show the story of the design,” Sawyer said.

The Penguins and HOK still must meet several conditions set forth by the commission and will work with the City Planning staff to accomplish those.

The project is on schedule to open in time for the start of the 2010 NHL season.