PDA

View Full Version : Ward Tired of Being a Leader???

tony hipchest
03-06-2007, 10:01 AM
ok. a bit overdramatic, but its the off season and we need some discussion topics. this article goes to show you cant just plug anyone in, to replace what jerome brought to the table.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_496277.html (for the rest of the article)

Brown: Steelers' Ward wants to be player first
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 6, 2007

His role should increase next season, assuming new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians incorporates four-wide receiver sets into the Steelers' offense. Yet, Hines Ward wants it to decrease in one sense.
"Last year, I found myself trying to speak on the run, make sure when we'd break the huddle that (other wide receivers) were running the right routes," Ward said last week during a break from ESPN The Weekend festivities at Walt Disney World. "You're breaking the huddle and it's like, 'Hey, you've got a curl route. Watch that safety.' I found myself doing that more than I had to (in the past)."

The maturation of young wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Nate Washington could take some of that burden off Ward. The Steelers also may look to upgrade the position through the NFL draft or free agency.

Ward also indicated he needs to relieve some of it himself by playing a little less big brother.

"Going into my 10th year, I know the game and know what they're going through, so I try to overcompensate too much," Ward said, "because even though they know it, I just like to double-check to make sure they do know it."

The trick for Ward, who said he will start working out with his teammates in a couple of weeks, may be finding that balance between leading and literally showing the way.

Perhaps the one area he needs to improve upon is not worrying so much about the receivers he has helped nurture.

"This year, I'm going to do less of that and just get back to playing football and just watching those guys grow into their own," Ward said. "That's kind of one of my personal goals this year is to sit back and teach those guys as much as I can and just watch them go out and flourish as wide receivers."

ExtonSteelFan
03-06-2007, 10:10 AM
In my opinion, I think Ward feels too much like a babysitter these days and not so much of a teacher. I think some of these guys just need to step up their game and the rest will fall into place. Who knows, maybe Hines feels that he's working so much harder than the other receivers and then has to go out and attempt to fix their mistakes. I don't know, I think I'd be a little frustrated about that too. This is all speculation and just an opinion though. I could be way off! Good discussion though, Tony :cheers:

memphissteelergirl
03-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Eh, I don't get that impression, tony. It's like what Exton said: Maybe Hines just feels like he was doing the job of those who should have known theirs. I think the receiving corps will handle their assignments better next season.

19ward86
03-06-2007, 01:00 PM
ward is the only offensive leader,you can consider alan faneca but lineman usually dont speak up that much,he is probably tired of being the onlygood reciever and having so much pressure on him.

TackleMeBen
03-06-2007, 01:03 PM
ward is the only offensive leader,you can consider alan faneca but lineman usually dont speak up that much,he is probably tired of being the onlygood reciever and having so much pressure on him.

I agree. I think some players last year tried too hard and it backfired. But one should think the leader of the offense should be the quarterback. Hopefully, with the low profile off season that will re-tool some players to step up and do what they need to do.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-06-2007, 02:22 PM
I think part of the problem was hew as seeing the faults and instead of the coaches trying to fix them...Ward found himself being the coach.

Hines is a fine leader and has been for years,but he shouldn't have to coach his teammates to.

polamalufan43
03-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Well, I can see him teaching and helping the other WR, but I think when it gets as far as actually coaching them, then the "coaches" mind gets taken away from the game and put more on being like a "father/coach" to the other WR.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Stlrs4Life
03-06-2007, 04:32 PM
I don't get that impression either. Ward has taken on a little too much.

polamalufan43
03-06-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't get that impression either. Ward has taken on a little too much.

Well, I also believe that. I'm just glad he had a good reason behind taking on too much, which was the good of the team.

~polamalufan43:tt02:

moedap
03-06-2007, 05:04 PM
I agree with TackleMeBen. Big Ben should be the leader on offense. I think Ward should do just as he says lead by example.

Atlanta Dan
03-06-2007, 05:36 PM
I do not think you can just appoint yourself the leader; you have to earn that respect.

Ben can think he is a leader, but in addition to apparently being perceived as a head case by a number of teammates since he became the starter, he lost any claim to leadership by his selfish, irresponsible actions when he nearly killed himself by refusing to wear a helmet. Hines is a leader but had his own injuries to work through the first half of the season. On defense, Porter was consumed by monetary concerns, which I think he was not bashful about sharing in the locker room. In his mind Cowher was going to Carolina, so there was no support to fill in for the lost presence of Bettis.

The more that comes out about last season (Cowher checking out, Porter obsessed about his contract, Hines weary of telling other WRs their responsibilities) the more it becomes clear why that team spent the first half of the season playing without a clue and throughout the year kept coming up small while getting boneheaded penalties.

IMHO the Rooneys have tired of the rot within the old regime, decided to start fresh, tear it down, and take the hit if that means Tomlin has a slow start in the win-loss column for a while.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-06-2007, 06:05 PM
The thing is,HW shouldn't have to tell the other recievers of thier responsibilities...they shuld know them.

Giving them advice on how to run a route,yes...giving them advice on blocking,yes...telling them thier responsibilities,no,that's a coach's job.

jjpro11
03-06-2007, 06:16 PM

id say parker is on the fast track to being someone the guys will listen to and follow.. hes young, but he has as much passion as anyone.. im worried about leadership on the defensive side of the ball more than anything. as long as holmes stays out of prison and ben off the bike, the offense will be fine.

The Duke
03-06-2007, 06:19 PM
id say parker is on the fast track to being someone the guys will listen to and follow.. hes young, but he has as much passion as anyone.. im worried about leadership on the defensive side of the ball more than anything. as long as holmes stays out of prison and ben off the bike, the offense will be fine.

I agree, the more time Parker is on the Steelers the more leader he is becoming. I just hope tired for Ward doesn't mean...early retirement...right?

tony hipchest
03-06-2007, 06:24 PM
IMHO the Rooneys have tired of the rot within the old regime, decided to start fresh, tear it down, and take the hit if that means Tomlin has a slow start in the win-loss column for a while.i hate to look at it that way, but every move to this point seems to suggest that is exactly what it is. i hate to think of tearing down what we had to start fresh and sacrificing a few wins now for the benefit of the longterm future, but i agree that the rooneys seem commited to do just that. and i think they will be pleased and rewarded, perhaps sooner AND later.

heres my take on ward. he's all about the fun, and all about the playing. he is just as receptive to being coached as he is havintg the responsibility of coaching others thrown upon him. in a way i like this move because he definitely isnt trying to step on tomlins shoes. hes not thumping his chest saying "im king of the hill [now that porters gone], everybody listen to me"!

hines never was a "cowher guy" in the same way that jerome and porter were. that much is clear, and ive already stated that hines might be more willing to embrace the coaching change more than many may realize. i think hines wants to be coached, and wants to be pushed.

and i'll say it again, i think tomlin will be so far up ALL the players ass next season there will be no doubt who the leader is, and the players wont even be worried or concerned about their on field leader. im worried about leadership on the defensive side of the ball more than anything. as long as holmes stays out of prison and ben off the bike, the offense will be fine. again, leadership on the defensive side will definitely come from tomlin. it better.

tony hipchest
03-06-2007, 06:28 PM
I agree, the more time Parker is on the Steelers the more leader he is becoming. I just hope tired for Ward doesn't mean...early retirement...right?lol. tired was my words, not wards. nowhere in the article does he say hes tired. infact he thinks hes getting better, as do i.

MACH1
03-06-2007, 06:35 PM
I think he's probly more tired of baby sitting some of those guys.

DoctorJanSteelerFan
03-06-2007, 10:06 PM
...Ward found himself being the coach...
...But one should think the leader of the offense should be the quarterback...
...Big Ben should be the leader on offense...
You guys are so right. Let's look at Vick in Atlanta and learn from THEIR lesson.:dang:
I do not think you can just appoint yourself the leader; you have to earn that respect.
Ben can think he is a leader, but in addition to apparently being perceived as a head case by a number of teammates since he became the starter, he lost any claim to leadership by his selfish, irresponsible actions when he nearly killed himself by refusing to wear a helmet.....In his mind Cowher was going to Carolina, so there was no support to fill in for the lost presence of Bettis.

IMHO the Rooneys have tired of the rot within the old regime, decided to start fresh, tear it down, and take the hit if that means Tomlin has a slow start in the win-loss column for a while.
The thing is,HW shouldn't have to tell the other recievers of thier responsibilities.....that's a coach's job.
.... i think tomlin will be so far up ALL the players ass next season there will be no doubt who the leader is....

Absolutely. Great comments. Long time since I visited the boards...

We had an absentee coach and Ward tried to fill some of the roll.
We had a team who got weary of a manipulative immature QB.

(We have to hand it to some like Parker who played hard the entire year under Humpty-Dumpty and a coach who could have injured him for life with incessant stupid plays. "Hand it to Willie. Hand it to Willie. Throw. Oops. Don't throw. He can't throw. Hand it to Willie.")

Let's hope and pray Tomlin will have the guts to do the toughest jobs. The absolute toughest of all? (considering some of the rabid, unbending, freak, non-TEAM Steeler "fans" who I don't give a crap about....)

Bench Ben and put in a true LEADER at QB. Period. Right now that would be Charlie Batch. I can get behind a guy who leads by example in his life outside football. Even if he lost. At least he represents alot of what the true "Steeler" fans have stood for for decades.

NV STEELERS 723
03-06-2007, 10:14 PM
i hate to look at it that way, but every move to this point seems to suggest that is exactly what it is. i hate to think of tearing down what we had to start fresh and sacrificing a few wins now for the benefit of the longterm future, but i agree that the rooneys seem commited to do just that. and i think they will be pleased and rewarded, perhaps sooner AND later.

heres my take on ward. he's all about the fun, and all about the playing. he is just as receptive to being coached as he is havintg the responsibility of coaching others thrown upon him. in a way i like this move because he definitely isnt trying to step on tomlins shoes. hes not thumping his chest saying "im king of the hill [now that porters gone], everybody listen to me"!

hines never was a "cowher guy" in the same way that jerome and porter were. that much is clear, and ive already stated that hines might be more willing to embrace the coaching change more than many may realize. i think hines wants to be coached, and wants to be pushed.

and i'll say it again, i think tomlin will be so far up ALL the players ass next season there will be no doubt who the leader is, and the players wont even be worried or concerned about their on field leader. again, leadership on the defensive side will definitely come from tomlin. it better.

I believe it was Cowher that got Hines back to Camp after his brief holdout....... and then the STEELERS signed the long term deal, so how can you say Hines is not a "Cowher guy" ?

TackleMeBen
03-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Bench Ben and put in a true LEADER at QB. Period. Right now that would be Charlie Batch. I can get behind a guy who leads by example in his life outside football. Even if he lost. At least he represents alot of what the true "Steeler" fans have stood for for decades.[/QUOTE]

All last season I was chanting we want Charlie!!! As much as I love Ben at no time last season do I think he should have played. Considering all that he went through. By letting him play, he was out of sync and tried way too hard.

tony hipchest
03-06-2007, 10:27 PM
I believe it was Cowher that got Hines back to Camp after his brief holdout....... and then the STEELERS signed the long term deal, so how can you say Hines is not a "Cowher guy" ?

did i?

hines never was a "cowher guy" in the same way that jerome and porter were. being convinced to do their job and cashin in on a huge payday (from the rooneys, not cowher) doesnt mean he was chummy with him or a personal favorite.

just my observations. if hines has been refered to as one of cowhers guys through out the years, i will definitely listen to the examples. i havent heard them. sideline demeanor says alot too.

without question hines liked cowher and cowher liked hines. however there definitely was a pecking order of favorites, intentional or not.

Atlanta Dan
03-06-2007, 10:27 PM

When you watch the SB video, there is a very awkward exchange after the game is won where Cowher tries to schmooze with Ward about having been through a lot together and Ward does a pro forma "yeah we have" in response.

In isolation it might be Hines was too tired for false cheer, but then there were these quotes from the SI interview last year - "I don't have anything to say to him. After what he did to me, after how he treated me, no. The numbers I put up? The seasons I had, for them to keep on bringing in guys..

I know Ward took the usual pro jock's dodge and said he was misquoted, but I bet SI got it right. I agree Hines was not a Cowher guy like Porter and Bettis were.

GBMelBlount
03-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Atlanta Dan, I noticed that as well. There was also an exchange where he said "Yeah, it's all good." It was equally as awkward! Bottom line is the team composition and leadership is different. New people (AS WELL AS OLD) have to step up but equally as important, Tomlin & coaches need to bring it!!!!!!!

polamalufan43
03-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Atlanta Dan, I noticed that as well. There was also an exchange where he said "Yeah, it's all good." It was equally as awkward! Bottom line is the team composition and leadership is different. New people (AS WELL AS OLD) have to step up but equally as important, Tomlin & coaches need to bring it!!!!!!!

:iagree:

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Steeldude
03-07-2007, 07:55 AM
the steelers need someone on defense to make sure each player stays focused, knows what to do and watchout for. that is something the steelers have lacked on defense for many years.

tony hipchest
03-07-2007, 09:51 AM
the steelers need someone on defense to make sure each player stays focused, knows what to do and watchout for. that is something the steelers have lacked on defense for many years.

stays focused- thats what their paycheck is for

knows what to do- thats what the coaches are there for

what to watch out for- thats what film study is for

stlrtruck
03-07-2007, 10:04 AM
I think Ward needs to be an overall team leader and not the coach for the younger wide outs. They get paid money to do what they're suppose to do and Ward shouldn't have to remind them when breaking out of the huddle.

It's time that others step up, including the coaches to make sure the players know what they are suppose to do.

Counselor
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
I think Ward needs to be an overall team leader and not the coach for the younger wide outs. They get paid money to do what they're suppose to do and Ward shouldn't have to remind them when breaking out of the huddle.

The problem is that Ward is not an overall team leader. Bettis was a team leader. Porter was a team leader. To a large extend its a natural ability. You have to have the charisma to gain peoples attention, the personality to gain their respect. You have be able to to step up and say things you're peers don't like, and at times call your peers out (not necessarily in the media, but in the lockerroom). Ward does not seem like that type of guy. He can lead by example in his work ethic. He can teach the younger guys and point them in the right direction (and I think he should). But I just don't see him as the team leader. To be honest I don't know at this point who will be it. Porter seemed to endorse Casey Hampton on the defensive side.

NV STEELERS 723
03-07-2007, 09:11 PM
STEELERS past history says to me it should be another LB that steps up... I would say Foote!

GBMelBlount
03-07-2007, 11:27 PM
The problem is that Ward is not an overall team leader. Bettis was a team leader. Porter was a team leader. To a large extend its a natural ability. You have to have the charisma to gain peoples attention, the personality to gain their respect. You have be able to to step up and say things you're peers don't like, and at times call your peers out (not necessarily in the media, but in the lockerroom). Ward does not seem like that type of guy. He can lead by example in his work ethic. He can teach the younger guys and point them in the right direction (and I think he should). But I just don't see him as the team leader. To be honest I don't know at this point who will be it. Porter seemed to endorse Casey Hampton on the defensive side.

Although it may not be to the same degree, someone or someones will step up. iT IS THE NATURE OF FILLING A VOID.

Da'Burgh
03-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Ward just wants to win and prove how hard this team has worked. It's frustrating coming off a SB win and having an integral part of the WR core leave (Randle El) and having to teach these young guys. He's got a good heart and he remembers what it was like being a rook. Hines just wants to win.

jjpro11
03-09-2007, 12:42 AM
i still say farrior will be the leader on defense and parker is well on his way to leading the offense. probably not this year for parker, but he has definitely shown he has a ton of heart and is not afraid to tell guys like it is.

yinzer-inseattle
03-09-2007, 11:01 AM
I think this will be Willie's year. After last year's "not hungry enough" comments Willie has shown that he can step up and challenge the team when needed. I think his words will carry a lot of weight because he's not a trash talking blow-hard. Hopefully, he will do more leading on the field.