PDA

View Full Version : Resign/Extend Faneca?

ajs8207
03-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Does anyone else think it may be a little dumb to pay Alan Faneca lots of money to stay here? He's on the wrong side of 30, and only made the pro bowl this past year out of reputation. I think it may be dumb, considering the HUGE contracts average offensive lineman have gotten this year, to pay this guy top dollar. Plus, in my opinion, he has been opening his mouth a little too much in the media about the coaching hiring and front office decision to release Joey Porter. What does everyone else think?

tony hipchest
03-06-2007, 01:55 PM
trade him.

but heres what about 80 other people think:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15410

ajs8207
03-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Would we get anything for him? And wouldn't that cause a huge controversy? Isn't it better just to let him play out his contract and leave during free agency. This way, it looks like he chose to leave, not that we wanted him to.

polamalufan43
03-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Would we get anything for him? And wouldn't that cause a huge controversy? Isn't it better just to let him play out his contract and leave during free agency. This way, it looks like he chose to leave, not that we wanted him to.

True, if we didn't make any attempts to try and sign him, then people may start talking. But, we have to remember the people who would actually start the talking, the media. By the time the media is through with it, chances are it will be a completely different story. They think, "Okay, it mentions him here, the contract there. The little details aren't that important, so let's substitute our own."

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

19ward86
03-06-2007, 08:09 PM
he is probably the second best lineman the steelers have ever had, trade him i think not, the pro bowl is overrated and people like tony romo and philip rivers go but guys in 2004 and 2005 that actually played the whole season for their team didnt go....like big ben. whoever is making the bigger scene will go to the pro bowl that is why steelers dont go, because they dont have major issues, they dont get paid way out of their league, they dont act up.

GBMelBlount
03-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Isn't Faneca past his prime? The only problem I have with letting him go is that we already have a lot of needs! What say you?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I have no problem trading Fenace.......
As long as we Keep Big Ben and Troy.........ANYONE ELSE ON THE TEAM CAN BE TRADED RELEASED WHATEVER......We played like shit last year.....and things need to chang......We have a new head coach.....and I say let him do his thing.....

Steel Pit
03-07-2007, 02:11 AM
GEEZ OH PETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man I just don't understand some of you and your logic. TRADE Alan Faneca? WHAT????
Someone said that he's on the wrong side of 30. He just turned 30 this past December. Is that the wrong side of 30? Maybe if you're a freaking RB or WR but not a Guard who's had a predominately injury free career. Healthy offensive lineman tend to play "SOLID" until they're 35-36 years old. Offensive lineman have always been some of the oldest players in the game. Faneca has at least 4 more years of solid offensive line play in his tank and besides, HE'S FAR AND AWAY OUR BEST OFFENSIVE LINEMAN! If we trade him what's that going to leave the Steelers with? And you think that the O-Line play was spotty last season? I can't imagine how bad it would be without Faneca.

Trade Alan Faneca? That's just ludicrous! And this notion is coming from some of the same people who insisted that the Steelers should re-sign a 30 year old Joey Porter, who as an OLB is definitely on the "Wrong side of 30".

Things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

polamalufan43
03-07-2007, 07:29 AM
At this point, I say keep him, for now. And when I say for now I mean until we see what we have in training camp.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

ajs8207
03-07-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm worried about giving him an extension. We shouldn't pay top dollar for a player on the backside of his career.

tony hipchest
03-07-2007, 09:31 AM
GEEZ OH PETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man I just don't understand some of you and your logic. TRADE Alan Faneca? WHAT????
! youre not too familiar with the "rooney way" are you?

or do you plan on paying faneca's salary next season? did you even bother to think faneca doesnt want to remain a steeler? anyways faneca is right there with porter on the big mouth scale. not that i care but i surely figured youd like to see him gone because of that.

abgroove
03-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Teams are built and maintained by the lines. Keep Faneca. Period.

drew102e
03-07-2007, 02:47 PM
a 4 or 5 year cap friendly contract is fine, if he will go for that, no 7 year 49 mil like the last 2 FA guards got

Preacher
03-07-2007, 02:56 PM
a 4 or 5 year cap friendly contract is fine, if he will go for that, no 7 year 49 mil like the last 2 FA guards got

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And that my friends, is probably the smartest post about this possibility yet.

SteelerTim
03-07-2007, 03:16 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And that my friends, is probably the smartest post about this possibility yet.

I Agree ... for all I care they can sign him to a 7 year $100 million dollar contract as long as the cap hit is no higher than 2 - 2.5 million for the first 4 years. After that it is adios. That takes care of stroking his ego by saying he signed a $100 million dollar contract but both parties realize that he will never see all that money.

tony hipchest
03-07-2007, 03:18 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And that my friends, is probably the smartest post about this possibility yet.and unfortunately probably the most unlikely to happen.

say we offer faneca $30 mil over 5 years. (6 mil per for him at this point has got to be considered cap friendly)

grim and whiz counter with $55 mil over 7 years.

:wave: the writing is on the wall :banging:

drew102e
03-07-2007, 03:53 PM
but hes not a free agent, he is under contract so can go nowhere, right?

tony hipchest
03-07-2007, 04:00 PM
but hes not a free agent, he is under contract so can go nowhere, right?he has the 07 season to play before his contract is up. steelers very rarely like to let a player of his calibur hit the open market cause they know they wont compete and match the highest bidder. thats just how they roll. extending him this season is really the only option (or trading him) but i dont think theres much money left over for troy if we do that. not without cutting players like haggans and a few others who will make 4-5 mil/year.

drew102e
03-07-2007, 04:07 PM
he has the 07 season to play before his contract is up. steelers very rarely like to let a player of his calibur hit the open market cause they know they wont compete and match the highest bidder. thats just how they roll. extending him this season is really the only option (or trading him) but i dont think theres much money left over for troy if we do that. not without cutting players like haggans and a few others who will make 4-5 mil/year.

right but there is no way anyone can 'outbid' us this year, think you gotta resign him now, worry about troy later

ajs8207
03-07-2007, 04:30 PM
right but there is no way anyone can 'outbid' us this year, think you gotta resign him now, worry about troy later

IMO, Troy is MUCH more important to this team than Alan Faneca.

Northside Jonny
03-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Do You think Matt Millen is dumb enough to give up Roy Williams for Faneca?

drew102e
03-09-2007, 09:53 AM
IMO, Troy is MUCH more important to this team than Alan Faneca.

yep

DACEB
03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't know enough about transactions in the league to give an expert opinion, but that won't stop me from giving an opinion.

We don't know what Faneca thinks he's worth, and at this point in his career we don't know what the FO thinks he's worth. I would think that if the FO believes there will be a problem resigning him for whatever reason (what Faneca thinks he's worth, what the FO values him at, other players contracts) then they are taking steps accordingly.

I would not like to see us lose another player and get nothing for him, like with Porter. Does that mean that we trade him now? Place a tender on him next season like they did with Starks so that we could at least get a draft pick? Possibly put the franchise tag on him (that would be a hefty one year contract at the going rate for guards) to keep him one more year or possibly get two first round picks.

At this point with our cap issues and future contracts to be resolved, maybe a trade is best for the Steelers. I would hope not to lose our best player on the O-line, but who knows what the film shows, maybe he isn't our best O-lineman. Faneca is no spring chicken anylonger, maybe we should get some value while the gettin' is good.

I'm not saying to get rid of Faneca, but we got absolutely nothing for Porter. That was a mistake not to be repeated.

Jeremy
03-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Ok, my two cents (mainly for padding purposes).

One thing we know is that the Steelers would rather cut a guy loose a few years early (Porter, Woodson, Greene, etc) than hold on to a guy too long. Does Faneca fall under that too soon crowd? I don't know. What I do know is that our offensive line is way too unstable to risk running off, or trading away, the only thing holding it together right now. Maybe in a year or two (and if we draft Ryan Kalil) we could talk about cutting Faneca loose. But I think it would be a bad move to send him packing now.

tony hipchest
03-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Do You think Matt Millen is dumb enough to give up Roy Williams for Faneca?this is an inriguing scenario i havent thought about. actually it would be one of the smarter moves matt millen has made, and would probably be excellent for the lions.

it is consensus that the lions desperately need line help and should take joe thomas (the best lineman in the draft).

it is also consensus that calvin johnson is the best player in this years draft and is atop almost every teams draft board.

faneca for williams would allow the lions to skip on the lineman and take the best player available. they would upgrade 2 positions with one shot. this deal would clearly favor the lions because while we would upgrade at wr, we would downgrade our line. this is where colbert would have to see if he could get the lions to throw in their #2 pick (maybe just their 3rd) to sweeten up the deal and we would have a better ability to draft fanecas replacement.

acquiring a player like roy williams would give the steelers alot of leverage with hines ward, for him to either take a pay cut or us to trade him for value in 08.

another scenario, is we convince the lions that thomas is the next robert gallery and trade faneca for the #2 pick straight up (highly unlikely but it never hurts to ask)