PDA

View Full Version : You are the Steelers G.M.

Big D
03-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Since it's the offseason and boredom has set fourth I thought we could play a game of steelers cyber general manager. From the start of the offseason what would you have done.
Here's what I would have done.
I wanted Tomlin since october so i'm very pleased of the tomlin hire. I would have hired him.
O.C. I would have hired former Titans and jets offensive coordinator Mike Heimindinger to be the offensive coordinator.
Q.B. coach. Terry shea
D.B. coach. This one is a tough one. I liked darren perry, I would have seen what it would take to keep him.
Special teams coach. Another tough one. I would have gone after jon harbauh

Now I would resign aaron smith and polamalu. I would have released Peezy and would go after T.J. Duckett in free agency.

Since you dont know how the draft is going to pan out. Here are what I would do on the first day. Get a lb,cb and an offensive lineman. In no specific order.

tony hipchest
03-06-2007, 05:10 PM
well since the seahawks are rivaling dan snyder in "great moves" and money being handed out, i would hide the jar of vaseline, bend them over, and pump them for all theyre worth, in exchange for alan faneca.

theyve probably learned their lesson, but a responsible gm would atleast offer faneca for this years 2nd and next years 1st.

paw-n-maul-u
03-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Well theres no sense in playing GM of the past since there is nothing we can change ... but given the exact makeup of the team right now I would:

1-Go hard after lance briggs.

2-Cut haggans, ced, morey and maybe townsend.

3-Draft: Rd 1- DE, Rd 2- LB or OL or BAP, Rd 3- Big WR or Big RB

The Duke
03-06-2007, 06:25 PM
First thing I'll do....resign Polamalu:thumbsup:

Sharkissle29
03-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Well theres no sense in playing GM of the past since there is nothing we can change ... but given the exact makeup of the team right now I would:

if we let go of porter their is no way we can afford briggs without releasing someone else important

19ward86
03-06-2007, 08:18 PM

i seriously hope u were joking, briggs is asking for over 7 mil a year. haggans is now our best LB, morey is our best and only special teamer, and we are already weak at corner so releasing our wisest one would be idiotic(at least at this stage in our other corners careers). your ridiculous.

this is what i would of done
1. go after russ grimm and make him our O corridinator, he was a great coach.

2.TRADE porter, franchise tag aaron smith, cut kendal simmons,cut najeh davenport,go after tj ducket.

3.Draft: Rd 1-jarvis moss(DE/LB)
Rd 2-FB from Rutgers(he was pretty much their running back.), or corner back
Rd 3-WR
Rd 4-Jordan Palmer(QB from UTEP)

tony hipchest
03-06-2007, 08:32 PM
i seriously hope u were joking, briggs is asking for over 7 mil a year. haggans is now our best LB, morey is our best and only special teamer, and we are already weak at corner so releasing our wisest one would be idiotic(at least at this stage in our other corners careers). your ridiculous.

this is what i would of done
1. go after russ grimm and make him our O corridinator, he was a great coach.

2.TRADE porter, franchise tag aaron smith, cut kendal simmons,cut najeh davenport,go after tj ducket.

3.Draft: Rd 1-jarvis moss(DE/LB)
Rd 2-FB from Rutgers(he was pretty much their running back.), or corner back
Rd 3-WR
Rd 4-Jordan Palmer(QB from UTEP) those in glass houses...

do you even know what the franchise tag for aaron smith would be?

why draft leonard in the 2nd when we can possibly get him in the 4th? (probably go in the 3rd)

jordan palmer??? he might be worth a 4th rounder, for a team that actually needs a qb. with batch and ben, we are in as good of shape as any team in the nfl.

right now, duckett is looking to be a 50%+ carry guy. all we need is a guy to carry about 30% of the time to compliment willie. willie is too good to be in a 50/50 split. jeromes last year and the 06 season proved this.

paw-n-maul-u
03-06-2007, 09:11 PM
... shouldnt throw stones.

It doesnt really matter what briggs WANTS ... the market has been set by thomas' and porter's contract. Both of which we could afford.

Haggans our best linebacker?!? are you nuts? he had the least amount of tackles out of our remaining starting LB's.

morey?! christ. Tomlin has already announced that he is favor of using more starters on special teams so i don't think that he would be THAT hard to replace. considering he averages maybe what, 3 mins of playing time the whole game?

Duckett ... davenport ... six in one, half dozen in another ... only difference is duckett is coming out of washington where he just got a nice little contract and davenport is pretty cheap. not to mention he just signed a 2yr extension so that point is pretty moot.

Now on to briggs ... who is the absolute perfect fit for a 4-3 weakside linebacker and could easily find a spot for him on the field in a 3-4, not to mention all passing downs.

Townsend provides some nice veteran leadership but you got to give a little to get a little. i would cut ced haggans and townsend to make room for briggs in a heartbeat

GBMelBlount
03-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Assuming nothing major in FA I would focus on defense first. Maybe DE & Linebacker, then MAYBE cornerback. I think our cornerbacks are better than most people think and have good upside. Then look at O-line, wide receiver and running back based on best available.

drew102e
03-07-2007, 02:31 PM
use every draft pick on defense

PalmerSteel
03-07-2007, 04:55 PM
maybe there is more to it, but i dont understand why great athletes like porter get released. why couldnt we have traded him to the dolphins, even for something as little as giving them our 4th round pick if we get their 3rd round or something like that? i believe that is what the jets and bears did. the bears knew they would lose jones after this season so opted to trade jones to the jets in exchange for 20 or so spots up the draftboard. i just dont get why guys get released that i would think would have some bargaining power in a trade.

ajs8207
03-07-2007, 04:58 PM
maybe there is more to it, but i dont understand why great athletes like porter get released. why couldnt we have traded him to the dolphins, even for something as little as giving them our 4th round pick if we get their 3rd round or something like that? i believe that is what the jets and bears did. the bears knew they would lose jones after this season so opted to trade jones to the jets in exchange for 20 or so spots up the draftboard. i just dont get why guys get released that i would think would have some bargaining power in a trade.

We would have had to trade him before his roster bonus was due. Also, if other teams know we are just going to release him, we would have had no leverage.

Northside Jonny
03-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I agree with all the moves made so far especially the porter move. I believe that we need to go LT with the first pick and get Levi Brown from Psu the second would obviously be LBand second only because of the track record of finding talent at LB. Third round we should find a big wide reciever . I think fourth should be devoted to OL again and then I would Draft by best available after that. I believe that Tomlin will get the best out of a young secondary. Our LB core will know be better off without Jo Jo James Harrison has been ready for a year know anyway . OL and Special teams were the weaknesses last year especially OL . Marvel Smith needs to go and man i miss Randle El.

drew102e
03-09-2007, 09:56 AM
We would have had to trade him before his roster bonus was due. Also, if other teams know we are just going to release him, we would have had no leverage.

plus, even though its a business, it would have taken the control from porter, he has been a solid performer here for 8 years and i assume asked to be released so he could get a long term deal where he wanted, and the rooneys obliged

ajs8207
03-09-2007, 10:26 AM
This happens all the time in the NFL, just not to us too much for some reason. Were gonna be fine.

Jeremy
03-09-2007, 10:30 AM
What is the Steeler Nation's obsession with TJ Duckett? The guy is a stiff! We have a younger faster version of him already on the roster. Let it go man, Duckett is already over the hill.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-09-2007, 03:16 PM
those in glass houses...

willie is too good to be in a 50/50 split. jeromes last year and the 06 season proved this.

Might I suggest tempered and frosted? A better design for denial.

I really don't get the whole Duckett lovefest since prior to last years draft. Is someone going to tell me that he was the missing link in the losses to Baltimore and Jacksonville. I still have the feeling like I'm going to puke because of those games.

If we don't fix the offensive line then be prepared to draft in the 15 slot again next year. The best thing we can do to keep Willie in the "too good" status is to get Big Ben ticking again. And that won't happen with his ass in the grass and his eyes seeing stars.

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2007, 05:39 PM
What is the Steeler Nation's obsession with TJ Duckett? The guy is a stiff! We have a younger faster version of him already on the roster. Let it go man, Duckett is already over the hill.

if your referring to davenport, he is 2 yrs older than ducket.

Full Name: Todd Jeffery Duckett
Born: February 17, 1981
Kalamazoo, MI
Height: 6-0
Weight: 254 lbs. Age: 26
Pos: RB
Experience: 5 years
College: Michigan State
Drafted: Year:2002 Round:1 Pick:18, Falcons

Full Name: Najeh Trenadious Monte Davenport
Born: February 8, 1979
Raleigh, NC
Height: 6-1
Weight: 247 lbs.
Pronounced: NAH-jay Age: 28
Pos: RB
Experience: 5 years
College: Miami (FL)
Drafted: Year:2002 Round:4 Pick:37, Packers

Big D
03-09-2007, 05:40 PM
I just think the big duke is soft and doesnt run with much authority

ben2hines=6
03-11-2007, 12:37 AM
rd 1 okoye....de (louisville)
rd 2 bush....rb (louisville)
rd 3 dan mozes c (west virginia)

i love bush but we did just sign davenport so i guess that is outta the question but the others would be great

Jeremy
03-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Wow, three Big East players.

Sorry, but more than 1 Louisville player on the roster is too many. I don't think that's a good program for putting out productive NFL players.

tomlin
03-11-2007, 10:16 AM
1st rd.adam carriker/de
2nd rd.best available olb
3rd rd. jacoby jones/wr

TheManOfSteel
03-11-2007, 11:12 AM
First thing I would of done is.

1. Trade JP for a soild draft pick
2. Cut Cedrick Wilson ( Ward,Holmes and Washington are the future)
3. Sign a OL
4. Draft 1st rd a DE/CB
5. 2nd rd CB/DE
6. 3rd rd OL

Subject to change. (always keep Alan faneca, and Troy Polamalu) They should be STEELERS for LIFE.

Himura
03-11-2007, 02:13 PM
(This will be why im not a GM but here we go)

1. I would have kept Ken Whisenhunt as head coach. (Dick lebeau can handle the D)
2. TRADE Joey Porter for a pick that could put us in position for Amobi Okoye,Leon Hall or LaRon Landry

3. cut N. Davenport, Cedrick Wilson. Cut or Trade Chukki Okobi or Kendall Simmons

4. 1st rd Jarvis Moss
2nd rd Ol
3rd weapons
4th secondary
5th LB

5. Sign LB Colby Bockwoldt to compete with James Harrison

Jeremy
03-11-2007, 02:14 PM
You left off signing TJ Duckett. Doesn't anyone love overrated fat guys anymore?

Himura
03-11-2007, 02:24 PM
In that case we should just Re-sign Duce and Sign Correll Buckhalter and we can have Willie and the Eagles Reject brigade.:cheer: lol

SteelCityPride
03-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I most certainly would not have hired Tomlin over Whisenhunt, I would have had a tight running between Tomlin and Grimm however once Whiz was out of the picture, but I think Whiz was the way to go. I think they made the right choice with Porter as he has seen his production falter along with his knees. I think I make it a point to resign polamalu number 1 and then see what I can do with Faneca. I would love to keep him, but don't now if cap room is available esp since he is beginning to get up there in age. The draft I would go:
1 - DB / stud D lineman
2 - LB / DB
3 - OL

tony hipchest
03-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Doesn't anyone love overrated fat guys anymore?everybody loves kuhn