PDA

View Full Version : Banta-Cain Signs with 49er's

83-Steelers-43
03-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Linebacker makes 49ers deal before visiting Steelers
Tuesday, March 06, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers lost a free agent prospect before they ever got a chance to talk to him when New England linebacker Tully Banta-Cain came to a contract agreement with the San Francisco 49ers today, according to ESPN.com

Banta-Cain, 26, was scheduled to visit the Steelers today. They were considering him as a possible replacement for right outside linebacker Joey Porter, who they released Thursday. Porter today came to a five-year, $32 million contract agreement with the Miami Dolphins.

Terms of the 49ers' deal with Banta-Cain were not immediately available.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07065/767262-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
03-06-2007, 04:20 PM
So much for that possible replacement.....next?!?!

Big D
03-06-2007, 04:26 PM
So much for that possible replacement.....next?!?!

yup Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn St.

The Duke
03-06-2007, 05:24 PM

And if not available then Lawrence Timmons Florida St. Any of those can give Harrison a run for the position.

Sharkissle29
03-06-2007, 05:38 PM

ive thought this from day one, and i have yet to see a mock draft with his name next to the steelers...interesting

dSharp
03-06-2007, 05:43 PM
You may see Puz's name now, since Joey's gone and the LB free agent market is all but dried up. I don't see us signing Cato June, who's the only one left out there, really.

tony hipchest
03-06-2007, 05:44 PM
ive thought this from day one, and i have yet to see a mock draft with his name next to the steelers...interestingmost mocks ive seen have him going much later than 15. is he aj hawk or is he bobby carpenter? at 15, and with porter gone, id much rather have someone capable of dominationg at the end like peppers, kearse, or even merriman. im not sure poz is that guy and im not sure he is urlacher in the middle.

dSharp
03-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Well, personally I'm not as impressed with Gaines Adams/Jarvis Moss to the point where I think they're far and away a better choice than Puz. I know it's not the norm, but I really don't see any reason not to take a LB (ie Puz) in the first round.

I could be wrong, but I think that LB is where we need to add, followed by defensive line and then probably offensive line. While defensive line is a good idea, there are alot of 2nd-4th round GOOD defensive line prospects while the LB prospects kind of fizzle out after the 2nd. Offensive lineman can be found from 2nd-5th round as well, though I think 2nd to 3rd round is where the good ones start to get used up.

My point is, that Puz is the #1 rated OLB in the draft, with Timmons close behind but Timmons is considered a bit raw (he played behind alot of other LB's before he got a chance).

If we're going to get an OLB, we need to get one in round 1 or 2, depending on who's available when we pick. If some stud defensive linemen falls to us that is a consensus, then I see us doing that, but if not, I don't see one problem with taking Puz.

volkmire
03-06-2007, 06:51 PM
What can anyone tell me about Patrick Willis? Is there a possibility the Steelers will get two linebackers in this draft?

polamalufan43
03-07-2007, 06:45 AM
What can anyone tell me about Patrick Willis? Is there a possibility the Steelers will get two linebackers in this draft?

It's a very slim possibility, but I wouldn't completely say that we couldn't.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

steel58
03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
ive thought this from day one, and i have yet to see a mock draft with his name next to the steelers...interesting
This from MSNBC.com

15. Steelers Paul Posluszny LB 6-2 235 Penn State
A very instinctive player who will outwork the competition. After his knee injury following the 2005 season, he came all the way back by the midway point of the 2006 season. Explosive hitter with outstanding range. He plays with intelligence and emotion. At times will be too aggressive and overrun a play.

dSharp
03-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Willis is a middle linebacker who everyone pretty much likes, far as I could tell from listening to the senior bowl-time media stuff. I wouldn't mind seeing him taken by us, just that I think we need OLB help before we need MLB help.

tony hipchest
03-07-2007, 12:44 PM
and from pat kirwans 1st mock:

http://nfl.com/draft/story/10038014

15. Pittsburgh: Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State -- Joey Porter is gone and Posluszny probably reminds the Rooney family of Andy Russell and Jack Ham. Whether the Steelers stay in the 3-4 defense or move to the 4-3, Posluszny fits.

SteelerFanInTX210
03-07-2007, 07:51 PM
I think Poz is an outstanding talent but for some reason im leaning more towards Jarvis Moss or Quentin Moses and Gaines Adams all converting from DE to OLB and back to DE in certain situations that gives us more bang for our buck due to the fact that we dont know what were going to do defensively (4 down or 3 down lineman) another second rounder or third rounder that i think will be a good convert is my boy Brian Robison DE out of Texas. Hes dropped weight to 259 and he had a good workout at the combine. He did well in linebacker drills. By the way where do i go to get cool signatures like the rest of you i found a great site but the sigs file sizes are too big for this site. Thanx

jjpro11
03-07-2007, 08:02 PM
i doubt we take poz in round 1.. im not even sure where poz is projected to go anymore.. ive seen drafts with him going in both the 1st and 2nd round. its still a bit unclear as to where his draft stock is. im pretty sure we will take a de/lb type player in the first, whoever that may be.
one thing i do wonder a bit is whether tomlin and the steelers would be willing to take poz to score points with the fans since poz is well liked and known among most steelers fans. this is probably a stretch, but it would seem like a good thing for tomlin, at least in the early run. after having cowher leave, whiz and grimm leaving, porter getting cut, im sure a good amount of fans would be upset if we let the hometown hero go if he is available. if he doesnt turn out to be a good pick, most steelers fans wont second guess the pick as much as usual because they wanted him all along. again, its just pure speculation.. im not saying its the right move, but it could be a possibility.

The Duke
03-07-2007, 08:27 PM
What does everyone think of Lawrence Timmons out of Florida State?

volkmire
03-07-2007, 08:40 PM
What does everyone think of Lawrence Timmons out of Florida State?

I heard consistency is a problem with Timmons. His stock may have dropped to second round because of that.