PDA

View Full Version : Prayers Please

floodcitygirl
03-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Hey everyone. For those of you that are so inclined I would really appreciate prayers and good thoughts for my brother, Terry. I just found out that after a stress test today, the doctors discovered a blocked artery that is severe enough that they are going to try to do a balloon and stent on Thurday. If it doesn't work they will have to open him up for a bypass. He just turned 50 and has already had a heart attack, last year.

I understand that alot of people have these kinds of procedures done but it is especially scary for me and my family, because heart disease took both of our parents and all 5 of my siblings have heart related, cholesterol, and blood pressure issues...including my sister who had to have a pace maker at 50 and a mitral valve replacement at 54 and another brother who had a heart attack a couple of years ago.

I would very much appreciate your support with this. Thanks.

PAMillerGrrl83
03-06-2007, 08:05 PM
You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope all goes well.

HometownGal
03-06-2007, 09:46 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your brother, Pam and please know that my thoughts and prayers are with him and your family. I know all too well the fears and uncertainty you are experiencing at this moment. Keep a positive attitude and also try to keep Terry positive, as well- it's 95% of the battle and I truly believe that. With your family's history, I hope that you get regular b/p and cholesterol readings. If you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to ask - you know where I am. :hug:

Preacher
03-07-2007, 02:09 AM
I'm sorry to hear that.. I will be praying for you!

polamalufan43
03-07-2007, 06:27 AM
So sorry to hear that. My prayers are with your brother.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

floodcitygirl
03-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Thanks to those that have responded. I hadn't heard anything until late last night. I don't really understand what they're thinking. Terry had a 90% blockage in one artery and a 30 and 40% in two others. The docs decided not to balloon and stent. They sadi the one with the 90% blockage had been blocked for a long time and that it had begun to grow new smaller valves around it. I guess that they are hoping that they will take over. They are putting him on some meds and planning to watch him.

That's all I know so far. I don't understand it and given our family history, along with the fact that he already had a heart attack last year, it concerns me greatly. He was at the Cleveland Clinic, though, and I know they do great work.

Thanks for your prayers. They are very much appreciated. I'll let you know if I find out something new. :smile:

steelerbackr4life
03-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Prayers and well wishes to you and yours Flood!

floodcitygirl
03-10-2007, 08:38 AM
I finally was able to speak to Terry yesterday. His understanding is that artery is 99% blocked. The surgeon told him that these new smaller shoots that have grown from that artery are like the heart's way of doing it's own bypass. (very cool) He gave him new meds to that he hopes will help control his cholesterol better and wants to watch and see what happens at this time rather than going in. He has one other artery that has 2 blockages...one 40 and one 30%. He told him that besides the fact that he quit smoking 4 months ago, he has to lose weight and exercise.

I know that this is Cleveland clinic or else I would think it was completely nuts. I still have serious reservations. Terry told me that he has been having shortness of breath, chest pains that extend down his arm and numbness. One look at him tells you that he isn't a picture of health. I pray that this has been a major wakeup call for him and that he will follow thru with what he says he knows he needs to do. It didn't happen after his heart attack.

Again, thanks to everyone for your prayers and support. Very much appreciated.

polamalufan43
03-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Prayers still coming, and hoping he gets better.

SteelShooter
03-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Hey Sweetie,

I hope you know that you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers every single day until this passes.

If you need to vent, I hope you already know to feel free and let it all out with us, either in the forum or in PM.

All of us are pulling for you.......................you're our sweetest girl here!

polamalufan43
03-12-2007, 02:39 PM
FCG, you know that Woodsonsgirl and I have both you and your brother in our prayers!
Hope all is going well with him!

If there are anymore updates please don't hesitate to share them:thumbsup:

herewegosteelers
03-22-2007, 12:37 PM
My prayers are with you & your brother. Please take care of yourself.

floodcitygirl
04-03-2007, 09:47 PM
A little update. Terry is on alot of meds to try to keep him stable. His doctor set some eating and exercising guidelines for him. He tells me that he is trying to walk but has alot of trouble going very far or fast. He said that as soon as his heart rate starts to go up, he has terrible chest pains. Very frightening, I'm sure. He has an appoinment with the doctor in a couple of weeks and plans to discuss it with him them. I tried to encourage him to give him a call now, but he won't. Uggghhhh! I just keep telling myself he's being treated at the Cleveland Clinic.....they have to know what they're doing......

SteelShooter
04-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Our prayers continue FCG.....................

stlrtruck
04-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Prayers for a supernatural healing that only Christ can provide!!!
Prayers for the doctors and nurses who are caring for him!!
Prayers for you and his family that God's peace would be with you all

floodcitygirl
04-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Thank you both. I've shared with him that prayers are going up for him from those in the Steeler Nation. You are very much appreciated. Foremost on his mind is his 7 yr old son.

HometownGal
04-04-2007, 08:43 AM
A little update. Terry is on alot of meds to try to keep him stable. His doctor set some eating and exercising guidelines for him. He tells me that he is trying to walk but has alot of trouble going very far or fast. He said that as soon as his heart rate starts to go up, he has terrible chest pains. Very frightening, I'm sure. He has an appoinment with the doctor in a couple of weeks and plans to discuss it with him them. I tried to encourage him to give him a call now, but he won't. Uggghhhh! I just keep telling myself he's being treated at the Cleveland Clinic.....they have to know what they're doing......

I don't mean to frighten you here, FCG, but I'm telling you - this sounds just like what Ken told me he was experiencing (which he hid from everyone, including his doctors) before he finally realized that something just wasn't right. It is going to take something drastic to scare your brother into seeking medical attention, though I believe he needs to get his fandanny to the cardiologist ASAP. He isn't going to listen to you or anyone else - men are stubborn that way as we ladies know - and that is extremely frustrating when you care about someone and can plainly see what they talk themselves into not seeing. All you can do at this point is suggest to him that he not wait a couple of weeks to advise his cardiologist of what he has been experiencing and hope that he takes your advice. I know all too well that trying to push those stubborn mules to do anything they don't want to do (or in this case as well as with Ken, as I believe - are AFRAID to do) only ends up giving you chest pains. Would he go off on you if you called his cardiologist yourself? This guy needs to be seen immediately and stop playing around, hoping it will just go away!!!

floodcitygirl
04-04-2007, 09:10 AM
I understand what you're saying, HTG. Believe me, I said as much as I could. I don't know his cardiologist and I live 4 hours away. He has a wife. He is stubborn and I'm the baby. His cardiologist was very aware of the angina and pain in his arm that he was experiencing before and still let him go without a procedure. He wants to try to correct it with meds, diet and exercise. The problem is at this point, that Terry is afraid to exercise because of the pain he experiences. He said it feels like he's having a heart attack. I'm going to contact one of my brothers and see if he will intervene. I don't know that Terry will respond even to him. Is there a "special" prayer for male muleness???? :dang:

HometownGal
04-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Is there a "special" prayer for male muleness???? :dang:

I don't know the answer to that one, but if all else fails, a good kick in the arse with a pointed toe shoe might do the trick. :smile:

You may want to try a little emotional blackmail to get him to open up his eyes. I don't know how old his children are (can't remember if you told me if he had children or not), but age doesn't matter in this case. Show him pics of his kids and stress to him that if he doesn't do something about his medical situation now, he may not live long enough to have the privilege of watching them grow into adults. If it wasn't for Zac, Ken probably wouldn't be here now. It took Zac recognizing that something was terribly wrong with Ken and running in to tell me that got him to wake up and smell the coffee. Kids have this amazing magical power over us adults - I'm sure you know that all too well.

stlrtruck
04-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Threaten him with no football. If he comes over during the season, he has to sit in a different room that is sound proof and has no tv, radio, or internet.

polamalufan43
04-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Threaten him with no football. If he comes over during the season, he has to sit in a different room that is sound proof and has no tv, radio, or internet.

That's harsh:flap:

floodcitygirl
04-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks everybody. Terry has 3 grown children and a 7 yr old. Believe me when I tell you that I've discussed with him how his son needs him. One of my other brothers informed me today that he had the same conversation with Terry that I did, 2 weeks ago, telling him that he needs to not wait and contact his doctor now. Obviously not effective. He's been told. He's a big boy. It's come down soley to prayer at this point.

steelerssteelers
06-26-2007, 05:52 AM
Wow, my deep thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.