PDA

View Full Version : Fin Fan Here... Question about Porter...

FinNasty
03-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Hey guys... nice forum you got here... :wave:

I came here to ask you a couple of questions.

First... how do you like the signing for the Fins? How do you think he will benifit from being accross from Jason Taylor... and now being the 2nd threat offense has to worry about rather than the 1st?

Also, where exactly did Porter play in your defense? Did he play the LOLB or the ROLB? Or did he switch back and forth?

Thanks for any info... :cheers:

Oh, and feel free to drop by FinHeaven.com and post your insight and opinions... I am sure they will be well appreciated!

tony hipchest
03-06-2007, 07:46 PM

First... how do you like the signing for the Fins? How do you think he will benifit from being accross from Jason Taylor... and now being the 2nd threat offense has to worry about rather than the 1st?

Also, where exactly did Porter play in your defense? Did he play the LOLB or the ROLB? Or did he switch back and forth?

Oh, and feel free to drop by FinHeaven.com and post your insight and opinions... I am sure they will be well appreciated!he was always right side over the LT but he can play any position.

like i heard today, cowher and capers have almost exactly the same defensive mind. porter and taylor with zach, probably makes them the best lb core in the league. being 2nd threat probably plays to his strengths. it should be like lloyd and green or salt n pepper with carolina. the common thread? dom capers.

the signing is expensive but its in line with current market value. he can produce for about 3-4 years at a pace where you shouldnt have to worry about replacing him

FinNasty
03-06-2007, 07:56 PM
dont forget about our other ILB... Channing Crowder... a future Pro Bowler...

I think with Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Channing Crowder, and Joey Porter... we probably locked up one of... if not the best LB core in the league.

I love the Dom Capers connection... he should know exactly how to use Porter.

You think he can play the SOLB?

The Duke
03-06-2007, 08:09 PM
First, congrats, you guys just signed a great player, Porter is a leader and a great addition to your team that already has a great defense. I'm looking forward to the next Fins-Steelers game this year. :cheers:

Mosca
03-06-2007, 08:22 PM
He's going to be a great addition overall. Scheme wise it's up to the coaches, of course. But one thing about Porter, the rest of the league generally knew only the mouth. The guy really has a huge heart, he's going to be a great team and community asset for whatever team he plays for.

Excellent pickup, IMO. I don't see it as defensive "threats" that an offense has to worry about; rather, the defense becomes more consistently hard to move across its whole front as players improve. The guy can do whatever is asked of him. You get 3 or 4 of that type of player together and the offense's goal of being unpredictable gets neutralized by talent. Porter is always in great shape, smart as hell, knows how to read the plays, and he's rarely out of position.

The knock on him here is generally that he's going into his 9th year. We'd like to have kept him, but not at the price he's worth in today's market. He's a little past his physical peak, and how much longer he'll be a premier player is questionable. The Fins could very well win that gamble. My bet is that they will, but you never know. Worth the price for you guys, with the cap room, but not for us with very little room and the need to tie up Roethlisberger and Polamalu.

Tom

klick81
03-06-2007, 08:30 PM
BIG pick up for you phins. I'd be VERY excited to watch your defense this coming season if I were you. As a matter of fact, with all these changes, i'll be excited to watch not only dolphin games this coming season, but Cardinal games as well. Should be interesting...to say the least.

Atlanta Dan
03-06-2007, 08:37 PM
This is not intended as sour grapes for Porter leaving, but I think Prisco and Judge on CBS Sportsline sum up my thoughts on Joey (although Prisco is wrong about Chad Brown and Woodson being done when they left Pittsburgh & I think underrates Porter's pass coverage skills).

Porter was a force but not anymore, with his reduced sack total last year, in a scheme where the OLBs get the sacks, looking even worse when you look where they came from.

I do not think Porter has much left in the tank but am glad he got a big payday. I am just as glad he will be deadweight on the salary cap of someone other than the Steelers in future years.

Here is Pete Prisco's take

Sometimes, when you think a team has it figured out, clearing out old players not worth the money, they change gears and then make a foolish move, one that makes you wonder if they know what they're really doing.

That's you, Miami Dolphins.

The Dolphins released Kevin Carter, Jeno James, Randy McMichael and Joey Harrington, then they signed linebacker Joey Porter to a deal that will pay him over $6 million a year.

Porter has a bark much worse than his bite.

Quite simply, he is overrated.

He had seven sacks last season, will turn 30 this year and he's never been comfortable dropping into coverage.

For that, the Dolphins shelled out a deal that includes $20 million in guaranteed money.

Please.

Sure, defensive coordinator Dom Capers made his bones by coaching the 3-4 defense with the Steelers, and Porter played in that style his entire career, but the Pittsburgh front office is as good as any in the NFL. They're not wrong often timing when to let go of veterans.

Just look at players like Carnell Lake, Rod Woodson, Kimo Von Oehlhoffen, Chad Brown and others.

Porter's best days are behind him. The Dolphins are making a mistake here.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/10030961

Here is Clark Judge's opinion

So now Joey Porter is a Miami Dolphin, and people want to know how much better he makes the team's defense. To be honest, I'm not sure because I'm not sure what Joey Porter has left.

Look, he has damaged knees and has missed portions of the past two training camps because of surgeries. He turns 30 this month. And while he can still drop into coverage and defend the run, he doesn't appear to be the pass rusher he once was.

OK, OK, so he had seven sacks last season. All but one occurred in three games ... two sacks apiece against Oakland, Miami and Tampa Bay.

In two starts against Cincinnati's Levi Jones he had no sacks. In two games against Baltimore he couldn't solve Jonathan Ogden or Adam Terry. Porter didn't beat San Diego rookie Marcus McNeill for a sack. He didn't beat Jacksonville's Kalif Barnes for one, either.

I think you get the idea. Porter beat up on the mediocre pass blockers and struggled with the others -- and, maybe, just maybe, that's the start of a trend.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't know that the Dolphins can count on Porter to be the playmaker he was when the Steelers cut him loose off the edge. In those days, he could beat any offensive lineman, and he beat them so consistently he was the Steelers' 2002 defensive co-MVP, a three-time Pro Bowler and a two-time All-Pro.

But if he was invaluable to the Steelers do you honestly think they would've let him walk? I mean, they were on the hook for a $1 million roster bonus. Big deal. Porter was scheduled to make $4 million in salary this season, too. OK, I pay that if I have someone who can make game-changing plays.

Porter could. And he made them again and again and again. But not lately. That's one of the reasons Pittsburgh let him walk. I suspect fear of a contract holdout might've been another. In any case, the Steelers figured they needed the cap room more than they needed Joey Porter. That tells me something about what he has left.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/10033019

NV STEELERS 723
03-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Porter's knee and ankle are a big gamble for 20 mil guaranteed...All in all, it works out the best for the STEELERS ...Troy and Ben are a priority coming up..

FinNasty
03-07-2007, 12:45 AM
He's going to be a great addition overall. Scheme wise it's up to the coaches, of course. But one thing about Porter, the rest of the league generally knew only the mouth. The guy really has a huge heart, he's going to be a great team and community asset for whatever team he plays for.

Excellent pickup, IMO. I don't see it as defensive "threats" that an offense has to worry about; rather, the defense becomes more consistently hard to move across its whole front as players improve. The guy can do whatever is asked of him. You get 3 or 4 of that type of player together and the offense's goal of being unpredictable gets neutralized by talent. Porter is always in great shape, smart as hell, knows how to read the plays, and he's rarely out of position.

The knock on him here is generally that he's going into his 9th year. We'd like to have kept him, but not at the price he's worth in today's market. He's a little past his physical peak, and how much longer he'll be a premier player is questionable. The Fins could very well win that gamble. My bet is that they will, but you never know. Worth the price for you guys, with the cap room, but not for us with very little room and the need to tie up Roethlisberger and Polamalu.

Tom

Question...

I know about his skills as a pass rusher. And I know he is good dropping back into coverage. However, how is he against the run? Do you think he will be able to play the strong side linebacker?

FinNasty
03-07-2007, 12:47 AM
NV... what is wrong with his ankle and knee?

I looked up his playing history... and it seems the most amount of games hes ever missed in a season is 2?

Livinginthe past
03-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Anyone playing opposite Jason Taylor should pose a threat if they have anything left in the tank.

Taylor is probably the prototypical 3-4/4-3 hybrid DE/OLB - amazing player.

Hows that O-line looking Finfan?

NM

FinNasty
03-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Interesting... props for JTaylor from a Pats fan? lol

As far as the oline... it is currently under construction... lol

We have a Pro Bowl calibur RT(Carey), a solid Center(Hadnot), and a solid RG(Shelton). We need a LT and LG.

The coaching staff apparently is REALLY high on LT Anthony Alibi... a tackle we have been developing for a couple of years. Right now, he is our starter. With the 40th pick in the draft, I think we will grab either LG Aaron Sears, LG Ben Grubbs, or C Ryan Kalil (If we grab Kalil, we will move Hadnot back to Guard).

And who knows... LT Levi Brown isnt out of the question @ 9 overall either...

Preacher
03-07-2007, 02:30 AM
Porter had Surgery on both knees... or was it the same knee twice? I think both knees.
Some say he lost speed... They may be right.

However, if Porter can play second or third fiddle on a team, I think he has enough to be a good threat.

I am not sure i would have put that much gauranteed on him... I don't know if his body will hold out.

But you should enjoy your team.

FinNasty
03-07-2007, 02:35 AM
Porter had Surgery on both knees... or was it the same knee twice? I think both knees.
Some say he lost speed... They may be right.

However, if Porter can play second or third fiddle on a team, I think he has enough to be a good threat.

I am not sure i would have put that much gauranteed on him... I don't know if his body will hold out.

But you should enjoy your team.

What kinda surgery? Torn ACLs?

Livinginthe past
03-07-2007, 03:02 AM
Interesting... props for JTaylor from a Pats fan? lol

As far as the oline... it is currently under construction... lol

We have a Pro Bowl calibur RT(Carey), a solid Center(Hadnot), and a solid RG(Shelton). We need a LT and LG.

The coaching staff apparently is REALLY high on LT Anthony Alibi... a tackle we have been developing for a couple of years. Right now, he is our starter. With the 40th pick in the draft, I think we will grab either LG Aaron Sears, LG Ben Grubbs, or C Ryan Kalil (If we grab Kalil, we will move Hadnot back to Guard).

And who knows... LT Levi Brown isnt out of the question @ 9 overall either...

Yeah, you have to take your hat off to Taylor - I dread him facing off against Brady - he's unstoppable alot of the time, and I rate our Offensive line highly.

Thanks for the info on your O-line, I know its been an area of weakness for a little while - it will be an area to keep an eye out for during the season - Culpepper got murdered back there early last year.

Livinginthe past
03-07-2007, 03:04 AM
As far as Porters surgeries go, here is an article written 25th May 06

The good news for the Pittsburgh Steelers is that the Wednesday surgery on linebacker Joey Porter's damaged knee was completed without complication. The not-so-good news: The arthroscopic procedure was on Porter's right, or so-called "good" knee.

Joey Porter
Linebacker
Pittsburgh Steelers

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
57 39 18 4 11 2

Before the surgery, which is believed to have addressed cartilage damage sustained at some point during the team's 2005 Super Bowl championship season, a Steelers spokesman was uncertain of which knee was to be repaired. Porter had arthroscopic surgery last August on his left knee, to remove debris from the joint, and missed much of training camp.

The recent surgery occurred early enough in the offseason that Porter should be fully rehabilitated in time for the start of training camp on July 28. But it also leaves the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker and vocal leader of the Steelers' defense having undergone surgery on each knee within the past nine months.

Porter, who turned 29 on Monday, has missed only four games in seven NFL seasons.

Within hours of the Wednesday surgery, Porter was at the Steelers' training facility on crutches, and he will quickly begin his rehabilitation regimen. But there remain suspicions that, no matter how successful his recovery, Porter might be absent from the start of training camp for contract reasons. Since he skipped the first three sessions of the organized training activities (OTAs) last week, there has been speculation that Porter is seeking to have his contract upgraded.

Briefly addressing that speculation, Porter told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Wednesday: "None of it is right. None of it."

And in a television interview, coach Bill Cowher suggested Porter's absence from the voluntary OTAs last week was because the linebacker wanted to spend time with his family. "Sometimes, I think a lot of things were getting blown up and taken out of context," Cowher said.

Porter did attend the Steelers' mandatory minicamp May 13-15.

He has two more seasons on his current contract and is due a base salary of $3.85 million in 2006 and of $4 million in 2007. There is an additional $1 million roster bonus due in the spring of 2007. Historically, the Steelers have not extended players' contract until they have just one season remaining.

The always-verbose Porter, 29, recently made headlines when he suggested that he planned to speak with President George Bush about the state of the country when the Steelers visit the White House on June 2. Porter subsequently claimed his remarks were misstated.

A third-round choice in the 1999 draft, Porter led all NFL linebackers with 10? sacks in 2005, tying his career best for a season. His 53 sacks are sixth all-time in franchise history. The former Colorado State standout, a starter since his second season in the league, has 436 career tackles, eight interceptions, 29 passes defensed, 17 forced fumbles and eight recoveries. He has appeared in 108 games and started 92.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2457687

19ward86
03-07-2007, 07:28 AM
best player on the dolphins

ARKIESTEEL
03-07-2007, 07:53 AM
O yeah and we forgot to talk about him useing crack and beating up his mom while robbing a quick mart............to buy more horses to feed to his dogs.:dang:

you all did good spend all that cap money:wink02:

Mosca
03-07-2007, 07:56 AM
I don't like that guy Anthony Alibi; every time a guy gets by him he has some lame excuse.

Atlanta Dan's take is the opposite side of mine, it's the gamble the Fins are taking. One of us is going to be right! Really it could go either way. My guess is based on believing Porter has the personal strength to make it happen, but certainly his body could let him down. We'll know by this time next year.

I couldn't say about how he would be at SSLB.

Tom

FinNasty
03-07-2007, 12:54 PM
best player on the dolphins

Sorry... that will still belong to Jason Taylor... the best defensive player in the league... :jammin:

FinNasty
03-07-2007, 12:55 PM
I don't like that guy Anthony Alibi; every time a guy gets by him he has some lame excuse.

Atlanta Dan's take is the opposite side of mine, it's the gamble the Fins are taking. One of us is going to be right! Really it could go either way. My guess is based on believing Porter has the personal strength to make it happen, but certainly his body could let him down. We'll know by this time next year.

I couldn't say about how he would be at SSLB.

Tom

Are you sure you are thinking of the right Anthony Alibi? When have you even seen him play? Last year was only his 2nd year... and he didnt even get any playing time till the end of the season once D-Mac got hurt???

Mosca
03-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Are you sure you are thinking of the right Anthony Alibi? When have you even seen him play? Last year was only his 2nd year... and he didnt even get any playing time till the end of the season once D-Mac got hurt???

Uhhh... maybe I should have put a smilie after that? Definition alibi=lame excuse.

Tom

FinNasty
03-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Uhhh... maybe I should have put a smilie after that? Definition alibi=lame excuse.

Tom

oh... lol

Stlrs4Life
03-07-2007, 03:18 PM
A real nice pick up for the Dolphins, no doubt. Taylor, Porter and Thomas, wow! I think Joey will fit right in in your defense, especially with Dom Capers.

Counselor
03-07-2007, 04:29 PM
A real nice pick up for the Dolphins, no doubt. Taylor, Porter and Thomas, wow! I think Joey will fit right in in your defense, especially with Dom Capers.

Agreed. Peezy's got some good years left and Capers knows what to do with him.

Also, you are getting a great team leader and a great person for your community. As vocal as Joey is on the field and about football-----he also does a lot of great things in the community *very quietly*.

steveironcity
03-07-2007, 04:54 PM

Oh, and feel free to drop by FinHeaven.com and post your insight and opinions... I am sure they will be well appreciated!

He should give 1-3 good years

4n2t0
03-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Good player, bad move by the Dolphins.

Defense is not where their money should have gone. Why didn't the Dolphins pony up the big cash to help the o-line? Sign a backup QB as an insurance policy? Maybe get a TE to replace McMichael? Why did they let him go again?

I see yet another (Six in a row I believe) non playoff year. Chambers will once again disappoint, Culpepper is a mess, your line was slightly dismantled (Again), and Ronnie (The only good player on the offense) will have to fight tooth and nail for every yard.

Go Wayne Huizenga!

NJarhead
03-07-2007, 05:36 PM

I didn't read all the responses but the Miami Dolphins fans are gonna pretty pumped (in my opinion) about thier LB corps. I'll be watching myself if they're not paly the same time as the Steelers. I don't care what anyone says, when JP stepped on the field I wasn't worried about the other team or how tough they thought they were. He'll be missed here.

SteelCzar76
03-07-2007, 06:13 PM

For the sake of keeping things simple. You just signed a exceptional 'Football player' let alone linebacker. With a chip the size of mount rushmore on his shoulder after being shizered upon by an organization that he truly believed in and gave his complete allegiance to.
So i think it's fair to say,....that everyone you play this season (as well as the pimple faced naysayer's) will be very unhappy to say the least,.... with the impact that he will bring to your already impressive defensive unit.

Borski
03-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Sorry... that will still belong to Jason Taylor... the best defensive player in the league... :jammin:

I think you might have forgot about Taz:tt02: :helmet:

PalmerSteel
03-07-2007, 07:08 PM
i love peezy and hated to see him go, but you phins overpaid for him. the steelers are one of, if not, the best at getting rid of players at the right time and i think they did the right thing again. one of joey's main ingrediants that made him special was his speed and legwork he USED to have at getting to the QB, or dropping back in coverage as quick as any LB in the league. he has lost a step and IMO, will be just an above average LB for you guys. he is a great worker i am sure, but the offense is where all the FA $$$ should have went. as far as the chip on his shoulder? he doesnt have one. he has his 2 main things already: ring and money plus he left the steelers peacefully. if he had any grudge at all with the steelers he would of signed with one of the guys in our division. he just wanted to be in warmer weather to enjoy all his extra $$$ :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
03-07-2007, 07:16 PM
For the sake of keeping things simple. You just signed a exceptional 'Football player' let alone linebacker. With a chip the size of mount rushmore on his shoulder after being shizered upon by an organization that he truly believed in and gave his complete allegiance to.
So i think it's fair to say,....that everyone you play this season (as well as the pimple faced naysayer's) will be very unhappy to say the least,.... with the impact that he will bring to your already impressive defensive unit.

I think "shizering" upon Porter would have involved trading him for some draft picks to play out the last year of his contract with a team not of his choosing while his skills atrophied further or (hey it happens) Joey getting injured again before he could negotiate a new contract after playing in Pittsburgh or elsewhere in 2007. Since the Steelers plans for the future did not include Porter (we shall see if that decision is the right one) they gave him the best possible goodbye; not everyone gets fired and is given an opportunity to increase their net worth by millions within a week.

I posted yesterday the views of 2 Sportsline writers on the Porter cut - here is the take of Don Banks of SI.com on 1 of 10 offseason moves Banks likes:

5. The Steelers release Joey Porter -- It's not that I think Porter has played his last good football, or that he won't be a quality free-agent addition for Miami, which wrapped him up Tuesday. He's still a potential impact player and the Dolphins owe a word of thanks to the Steelers for letting him go. But that said, giving the soon-to-be 30-year-old Porter the long-term deal he sought and probably deserved in Pittsburgh would have been a gamble for the Steelers. It was a tough call because Porter has been an important cog in Pittsburgh, but in this case, sentimentality for a big-name veteran wasn't the way to go.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/03/06/liked.disliked/index.html

DJfan
03-07-2007, 07:21 PM
I think it was over payment, too. I was reminded of the Jr. Seau move you guys made recently. Great guy. End of career.

Steeldude
03-07-2007, 07:49 PM

IMO, the dolphins paid too much for an aging LB. but maybe a change of scenery could kickstart porter into playing like he did back in 2002.

NV STEELERS 723
03-07-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm sure he hurt a ankle in 05...not to surgery, but hopefully its 100% now

SteelCzar76
03-07-2007, 08:33 PM
I think "shizering" upon Porter would have involved trading him for some draft picks to play out the last year of his contract with a team not of his choosing while his skills atrophied further or (hey it happens) Joey getting injured again before he could negotiate a new contract after playing in Pittsburgh or elsewhere in 2007. Since the Steelers plans for the future did not include Porter (we shall see if that decision is the right one) they gave him the best possible goodbye; not everyone gets fired and is given an opportunity to increase their net worth by millions within a week.

I posted yesterday the views of 2 Sportsline writers on the Porter cut - here is the take of Don Banks of SI.com on 1 of 10 offseason moves Banks likes:

5. The Steelers release Joey Porter -- It's not that I think Porter has played his last good football, or that he won't be a quality free-agent addition for Miami, which wrapped him up Tuesday. He's still a potential impact player and the Dolphins owe a word of thanks to the Steelers for letting him go. But that said, giving the soon-to-be 30-year-old Porter the long-term deal he sought and probably deserved in Pittsburgh would have been a gamble for the Steelers. It was a tough call because Porter has been an important cog in Pittsburgh, but in this case, sentimentality for a big-name veteran wasn't the way to go.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/03/06/liked.disliked/index.html

And who's to say Joey wouldn't have seen through such an attempt by the organization to manipulate him in such a fashion ? I believe that the Rooney's are intelligent enough to have realized this. Henceforth the reason they did not take such a stance and simply released Joey. (Not because they felt it was the 'honorable way to go') LOL
Once again,..to keep it simple. If the organization really wanted to retain Peezy,....they could and or would have. No one with any even reasonable amount of buisness accumen 'overpays". (Regardless at to what 'John Q Public' thinks.)
The resources were and are there,....it 's just a matter of the the front office (and very likely Coach Tomlin) wanting to 'go a different direction' so to speak.
Case in point,....Roethlisburger can play nearly as poorly as the way he did last season and or mediocre up until the point his contract and future with the team becomes of issue. And guess what,...... he will be retained because he 'puts azz's in seats' in regards to fans. (Because he is the "Golden boy" savior to a particular demographic that will make excuses for him until the bitter end)
Bottom line,.....Colbert and Co decided Joey was expendable and did what they felt they had to do. Much the same way Donahoe and Coach Cowher did with Rod.
But this now of no concern,... the only thing of any importance is how the void left by Porter's departure will be filled.

Disclaimer:
This post in no way reflects any amount of 'sentimentality' on the part of Mr. Caesar. Just the cold truth. Knock it off. (LMAO)

Atlanta Dan
03-07-2007, 08:43 PM
The Steelers have handled it differently in the past - when Franco held out in 1984 on the verge of breaking Jim Brown's career record, Noll said "Franco Who?" in response to a question about Franco's holdout and then he ended up in Seattle. By comparison they did everything but throw a going away party for Porter.

I am not saying the Rooneys are running a charity but I do not think they went out of their way to screw Porter. They had him under contract and they had trade inquiries for him; they let him go for nothing and let him sign with whomever he could get to pay up rather than move him like a side of beef and let him stew somewhere else for the last year of his contract.

Just because someone does not rehire you does not mean they are being mean.

SteelCzar76
03-07-2007, 09:29 PM

At the the end of the day,.... the key is not to be in the positon to be at anyone's 'disposal'.:sofunny: :sofunny: "Top of the food chain"

ben2hines=6
03-10-2007, 11:43 PM
i def think joey will fit in great and benefit greatly from having jason taylor on the other side but come on the best lb core in the league?? i think denver has that one wrapped up for the time being....the speed they have is rediculous

Da'Burgh
03-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Porter's an awesome talent and emotional leader, feel grateful to have a guy like him on your team. He's an animal.

polamalufan43
03-11-2007, 04:56 PM
i love peezy and hated to see him go, but you phins overpaid for him....
... he just wanted to be in warmer weather to enjoy all his extra $$$ :tt02:

Well, I have to agree that the phins majorly overpaid for him, but then if you didn't Porter probably wouldn't have signed with you guys, so I'll leave that jurisdiction to the fans.
As for him wanting to go the Phins, well i dont really know. My feelings are that if we had given him what he wanted, than he would have stayed, which is pointing out the obvious in the greatest sense.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

GBMelBlount
03-11-2007, 07:58 PM
The Steelers have handled it differently in the past - when Franco held out in 1984 on the verge of breaking Jim Brown's career record, Noll said "Franco Who?" in response to a question about Franco's holdout and then he ended up in Seattle. By comparison they did everything but throw a going away party for Porter.

I am not saying the Rooneys are running a charity but I do not think they went out of their way to screw Porter. They had him under contract and they had trade inquiries for him; they let him go for nothing and let him sign with whomever he could get to pay up rather than move him like a side of beef and let him stew somewhere else for the last year of his contract.

So what could we have gotten for porter? trade him and get a draft pick?:tt02:

ChronoCross
03-11-2007, 08:25 PM
To many IFS in if we kept Porter that this could of happen our this could of happen. The Front Office knew they could not sign Porter to a long term deal. Porter is so hard headed he would of held out and not played and what are we saving there nothing. Cutting Porter now was the only choice and best choice at the present time. We do not know what we would of got out of a trade and would of wasted a few mil just to see if we get something. To many IFS for me to believe that cutting him was at the wrong time. It was the right time to cut Porter. We gained some cap space back for other players and do not have to worry about no hold out our wait for supposed trades that might of our might not of happen. Ether way it goes Miami has Porter now, and its time to move on and believe the choice was the correct choice that the team made on Porter.

Good Luck Miami with Porter.

Atlanta Dan
03-11-2007, 09:40 PM
So what could we have gotten for porter? trade him and get a draft pick?:tt02:

That was what was written when they let him go but like any rumor who knows.

tony hipchest
03-12-2007, 10:21 AM
interresting anecdote in kings mmqb

joey (always the thinking man) knows jet fuel-

"I'm looking for a whole lot of people to get off the plane, and I see two guys get off this big 737. So to use that type of gas for an airplane to come out there, you have to be serious. They weren't going to waste that gas to come visit me for nothing, so I knew we were heading in the right direction when I got the visit."
-- New Miami linebacker Joey Porter, who signed a five-year, $32-million deal with the Dolphins after coach Cam Cameron and GM Randy Mueller flew in owner Wayne Huizenga's plane from Fort Lauderdale to a small airport near Porter's home in Bakersfield, Calif., to woo him.