PDA

View Full Version : RIAN WALLACE- does anyone know of this guy?

tony hipchest
03-06-2007, 10:15 PM
9,7,&5 years ago he probably wouldve been known as gildon, porter, or foote. does anyone have any worthy info on him? he has been following the same footsteps as the aformentioned and has been slowly brought along by the same coaching staff.

i know he had a late int and td late last year in garbage time. shouldnt he be considered as a potential contributor? i would think so. if not, what the hell is he doing on the team?

maybe we dont have to go wild for a player like bunta cain, if someone just as good is already sitting on the roster at a much cheaper price. history says wallace should be good and about ready to step in, in an increased role in about a year or 2. but then again, i havent scouted pre season games on him or anything.

anyone have any input?

ChronoCross
03-06-2007, 10:52 PM
5rd draft choice for us 2 years ago and he has been grooming. He is very strong and has some good on field speed. But you can read up on him far as coming out of college here.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/wallace_rian

tony hipchest
03-06-2007, 10:58 PM
5rd draft choice for us 2 years ago and he has been grooming. He is very strong and has some good on field speed. But you can read up on him far as coming out of college here.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/wallace_riani know all that stuff, but cant figure out why he hasnt even been mentionned even though people laud the capabilities of the steelers to just plug in the "next LB".

im not saying hes the next lance briggs or anything, but hes gotta be better than blowing a wad of cash on some flavor of the week like banta cain right?

polamalufan43
03-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure it was a good choice, and from what I've heard he has good speed.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Steeldude
03-07-2007, 06:52 AM
just another average LB the steelers seem content with. i guess i shouldn't say average. he hasn't really played at all so it's difficult to say if he is average, good or pathetic. but to me it just seems he is another average LB to add to a team full of average LBs.

every year the steelers ignore their most important area on defense. will they ignore it again?

coachspeak33
03-07-2007, 07:19 AM
If by ignoring it, you mean they dont spend $25 million on an old man like London Fletcher or dont guarantee $20 million to peezy......then yes i guess they are "ignoring" it.

I am not over-thrilled with what i have seen of Rian Wallace, but I would have to re-swallow my own vomit if we wasted a bunch of money on the wrong FA.

19ward86
03-07-2007, 07:31 AM
he has a touchdown this year off of an interception on brodie coyle

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-07-2007, 07:49 AM
just another average LB the steelers seem content with. i guess i shouldn't say average. he hasn't really played at all so it's difficult to say if he is average, good or pathetic. but to me it just seems he is another average LB to add to a team full of average LBs.

every year the steelers ignore their most important area on defense. will they ignore it again?

I wouldnt say we have an average line backing group..
If you knew much about the steelers then you would know that our "average" line backers did not give up ONE onehundrend rushing yard game all year.........:dang:

polamalufan43
03-07-2007, 07:55 AM
If you knew much about the steelers then you would know that our "average" line backers did not give up ONE onehundrend rushing yard game all year.........:dang:

Very Good point, I would not call our LB core average.

ajs8207
03-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Very Good point, I would not call our LB core average.

True, but our LB core isn't as good as were used to.

Counselor
03-07-2007, 09:00 AM
True, but our LB core isn't as good as were used to.

See, I disagree with you. I think we may not have that 1 stand out name--Lloyd, Lambert, Greene, -- but overall, the entire group is near as solid as its ever been--we just need to bring the new blood in for the future and back-up roles.

TDSteeler
03-07-2007, 09:01 AM
You know its wierd that everytime I read more on this page it seems people forget that the steelers are known for developing great LB's. It makes me wonder why you guys don't think that they have people developing that can be the next superstar. I mean no offense but I can't really tell how a guy plays from a few minutes and I am sure that the steelers would release them if they weren't worth it.

tony hipchest
03-07-2007, 09:43 AM
You know its wierd that everytime I read more on this page it seems people forget that the steelers are known for developing great LB's. It makes me wonder why you guys don't think that they have people developing that can be the next superstar. I mean no offense but I can't really tell how a guy plays from a few minutes and I am sure that the steelers would release them if they weren't worth it.thats exactly my point. when porter and gildon were drafted no one was saying "these are the next in line of great steeler linebackers and they are gonna have the torch passed to them from green and lloyd"

they were back ups and players to be developed over time. once they got their shot they showed the wait was worth it. its time for james harrison to get his shot, and who knows what rian wallace and a. harrison will do if they get theirs.

Counselor
03-07-2007, 10:03 AM
its time for james harrison to get his shot, and who knows what rian wallace and a. harrison will do if they get theirs.

They will get their chance---both Harrisons had substantial playing time last year and Wallace got some time too. But don't you think we need one more game ready LB in addition to drafting? So if we're in the 3-4 still, JH takes Porter's place. We have AH as back-up no 1 and Rian Wallace next. JH has been injury prone. If he and someone else go down at the same time---it might be nice to have one other sub ready to go---we didn't draft any linebackers last year so whose next?

Clearly the Steelers FO think they need a little more depth or they would not have tried to meet with Banta-Cain.

Himura
03-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Can't think the LB core is gonna drop off and be average all of the sudden same as when Greg Llyod left, or Greene or Gildon. We slide someone like James Harrison over there and see what he can do. Rian Wallace may be a candidate but he is a Inside backer and my opinion is they may be grooming him to replace Farrior when we goes.

tony hipchest
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
They will get their chance---both Harrisons had substantial playing time last year and Wallace got some time too. But don't you think we need one more game ready LB in addition to drafting? So if we're in the 3-4 still, JH takes Porter's place. We have AH as back-up no 1 and Rian Wallace next. JH has been injury prone. If he and someone else go down at the same time---it might be nice to have one other sub ready to go---we didn't draft any linebackers last year so whose next?

Clearly the Steelers FO think they need a little more depth or they would not have tried to meet with Banta-Cain.we definitely need depth, but this free agent market is crazy. back up and roll players are signing $5 mil/year contracts left and right. average players are switching teams and making more money than star players such as the giants 3rd wr going to the vikings, cowboys back up center going to the cardinals, and new englands 2nd TE going to denver.

theres no way the rooneys are gonna pay starter money to a back up player. our backups already are on pretty good deals but players like essex, kemoeatu, kirchke, townsend, okolbi, hoke would all probably get $5 mil/ year if they were free agents in this years market.

if the steelers were serious about giving banta cain even 4 million/ year ist probably a small miracle and blessing in disguise SF didnt let him leave w/o a contract. hell, didnt 37 yr old jr seau playing on a $1 mil contract have him planted on the bench? i see the steelers going the chad brown or jr seau route (not those players specifically) after pre season roster cuts.

Steeldude
03-07-2007, 07:13 PM

try looking at the D-line for that accomplishment :dang: you don't know about the steelers if you can't see that the LB corps is average.

how many QB pressures did your so-called LB corps have? less than the D-line, right? how is that possible? :sofunny:

CantStop85
03-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I've actually been surprised that Wallace hasn't seen more action up to this point. I thought he was a real steal in the draft.

tony hipchest
03-07-2007, 07:23 PM
try looking at the D-line for that accomplishment :dang: you don't know about the steelers if you can't see that the LB corps is average.

how many QB pressures did your so-called LB corps have? less than the D-line, right? how is that possible? :sofunny:so if they were average that means you can name about 10-14 teams who have had a more productive lb corps in the past 3-5 years, right?

oh well, its not the 70's no more. i guess we cant have the absolute best player at EVERY position, right? that would get pretty expensive. the salary cap might stand in the way too.

Steeldude
03-07-2007, 07:27 PM
so who is above average? they look mostly average to me.

haggans - he was just a step above porter. which isn't saying much. does nothing much other than make routine plays. sure he will make some good plays like any player can, but is he really a LB that is above average or a LB playing in a LB friendly system?

farrior - old. the guy has lost a couple of steps.

foote - this guy gets run over too much and is slow to react. he is content with the RB coming to him rather than attacking him. he is no holmes or kirkland, that's for sure.

harrison - probably the steelers only decent LB. when he's received a chance to start he has played well. very aggressive and likes to attack head-on. only time will tell if he is going to be a good or average LB. he can't be worse than porter has been for the last few years. he certainly is cheaper.

who are these above average LBs? if these LBs were above average they would have led the team in QB pressures. the D-line owned that stat this past year. how can the D-line whose main objective is to absorb and take on blockers lead in the category? the entire defense is based around the LBs making the plays. where are the plays?

some fans say you can't compare them to lloyd, brown, kirkland, greene etc... why not? why settle for less? couldn't they at least be half as good as lloyd? seems fans have become content with mediocrity in the LB area.

now nobody get upset. this is just my opinion. it means nothing more or less than another member's opinion.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-07-2007, 07:30 PM
One thing about Rian Wallace he didn't play DE in college. The Steelers usually draft former college DE and turn them into OLB in their 3-4 defense. I'm not saying this is a factor in Rian Wallace not developing. Just saying he didn't fit the norm what the Steelers looked for in their OLB under the Cowher era.

He played MLB at Temple and for the most part he was considered depth at ILB for the Steelers. I know the coaches also wanted him to learn to play OLB. But other then his garbage time INT return for a TD against the Chiefs he hasn't showed anything to be a future starter in the NFL at OLB or ILB. Maybe this will change under Tomlin but I'm not holding my breath.lol

Steeldude
03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
so if they were average that means you can name about 10-14 teams who have had a more productive lb corps in the past 3-5 years, right?

oh well, its not the 70's no more. i guess we cant have the absolute best player at EVERY position, right? that would get pretty expensive. the salary cap might stand in the way too.

no, it means they are average for our system. this system allows them to make plays which they haven't been doing. what makes it more obvious is how well the D-line performed last year. if this is an above average/good LB corps, where are the plays being made? when was the last time you saw the LBs in this 3-4 setup dominate a game?

you are right, you can't have the best player at every position. nobody is going to argue that fact. but why not have at least one good/great player for the team's most important area on defense, the LBs?

tony hipchest
03-07-2007, 07:40 PM
so who is above average? they look mostly average to me.

haggans - he was just a step above porter. which isn't saying much. does nothing much other than make routine plays. sure he will make some good plays like any player can, but is he really a LB that is above average or a LB playing in a LB friendly system?

farrior - old. the guy has lost a couple of steps.

foote - this guy gets run over too much and is slow to react. he is content with the RB coming to him rather than attacking him. he is no holmes or kirkland, that's for sure.

harrison - probably the steelers only decent LB. when he's received a chance to start he has played well. very aggressive and likes to attack head-on. only time will tell if he is going to be a good or average LB. he can't be worse than porter has been for the last few years. he certainly is cheaper.

who are these above average LBs? if these LBs were above average they would have led the team in QB pressures. the D-line owned that stat this past year. how can the D-line whose main objective is to absorb and take on blockers lead in the category? the entire defense is based around the LBs making the plays. where are the plays?

some fans say you can't compare them to lloyd, brown, kirkland, greene etc... why not? why settle for less? couldn't they at least be half as good as lloyd? seems fans have become content with mediocrity in the LB area.

now nobody get upset. this is just my opinion. it means nothing more or less than another member's opinion. im not knocking your opinion, but we went from a linebacking corps as a whole to dissecting it into its parts. the sum of the whole has always been greater with the steelers which is one reason parts would be so interchangable. throw out the bad season here or there and we have always had an above average lb corps. did they suck in 2003 at 6-10? no, the team did.

anyways, by deductive reasoning, when you say they are an average corps i can assume there are 10 average teams, 11 above average teams, and 11 below average teams. im just wondering who thes 10 or so teams are with a better corps? the colts? bungles? seahawks? giants?

im pretty sure the market, and 31 other teams would agree that the steelers lb corps is above average. sure its debatable, which is what makes mb interactions such as this worthwhile.

Steeldude
03-07-2007, 07:41 PM
One thing about Rian Wallace he didn't play DE in college. The Steelers usually draft former college DE and turn them into OLB in their 3-4 defense. I'm not saying this is a factor in Rian Wallace not developing. Just saying he didn't fit the norm what the Steelers looked for in their OLB under the Cowher era.

He played MLB at Temple and for the most part he was considered depth at ILB for the Steelers. I know the coaches also wanted him to learn to play OLB. But other then his garbage time INT return for a TD against the Chiefs he hasn't showed anything to be a future starter in the NFL at OLB or ILB. Maybe this will change under Tomlin but I'm not holding my breath.lol

our best LBs of the past were LBs in college. IMO, DEs making the transition to LB lack the tackling skills.

tony hipchest
03-07-2007, 08:02 PM
you are right, you can't have the best player at every position. nobody is going to argue that fact. but why not have at least one good/great player for the team's most important area on defense, the LBs?well thats easier said than done. didnt we have the best defense in 2001? kendrell bell was the defensive rookie of the year? james farrior shoulda been the defensive mvp in 2004? porter and haggans had the highest sacks of any lb duo in 2005? did we not try when we took alonzo jackson in the 2nd round?

what more do people want? simple fact is times have changed and we can no longer find the great db to lb conversions we used to be able to pluck out of the lower rounds in the draft. the rest of the league has caught up.

where would our team be w/o our recent 1st round picks since 2000? would we be better off drafting a lb over ben, hampton, polamalu, miller, holmes?

or should we just kick ourselves for drafting tee martin instead of tom brady? hindsight is great.

GBMelBlount
03-07-2007, 10:34 PM
See, I disagree with you. I think we may not have that 1 stand out name--Lloyd, Lambert, Greene, -- but overall, the entire group is near as solid as its ever been--we just need to bring the new blood in for the future and back-up roles.

Amen! Go Steelers!:tt02:

DACEB
03-08-2007, 06:32 AM
so if they were average that means you can name about 10-14 teams who have had a more productive lb corps in the past 3-5 years, right?

Right on Tony, our LB core has definetly been above average, but are aging fast. That said we need help, with both talent and depth.

I don't think we are in position to sign any FAs. IMO that would just set us back further in future years.

Someone will step up. Whether that someone is on the roster now, or is coming from the draft. It is very possible for a rookie to come in and have an immediate impact. Anyone heard of DeMeco Ryans, Merriman or Ware.

A team is successful by drafting well and staying ahead of the curve, not by overpaying for the next Joey come lately.

I am just as curious as everyone else about our defensive line-up and scheme, but is it possible Wallace could move to the OLB spot? He is 6'3" 243lbs.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-08-2007, 12:17 PM
our best LBs of the past were LBs in college. IMO, DEs making the transition to LB lack the tackling skills.

Yes I know this Jack Ham, Jack Lambert and Andy Russell were LBs in college and those three on probably the top three best LB's in Steelers history. But the question was asked of Rian Wallace and comparisons were being made why hasn't become the next Jason Gildon, Joey Porter,Greg Lloyd, Chad Brown and Clark Haggans. Well all of them played DE in college and were turned into OLB in the Steelers 3-4 defense. Which the Steelers are known for doing along with other teams. The Cowboys drafted DeMarcus Ware a few years ago (former DE in college) now OLB in the Cowboys 3-4 defense.

My point is the OLB main job in a 3-4 defense is to rush the passer. All those players I named above where former DE in college so they had the pass rush skills as former DE in college. Thats why they could make the transition to OLB plus they were athletic enough to drop into coverage.

Now Rian Wallace didn't play DE in college and he probably lacks the ideal pass rush skills needed for OLB in a 3-4 defense.

Just a thought

Steeldude
03-08-2007, 12:34 PM
where would our team be w/o our recent 1st round picks since 2000? would we be better off drafting a lb over ben, hampton, polamalu, miller, holmes?

could have had urlacher instead of burress.

you forgot simmons:smile:

augustashark
03-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Yes I know this Jack Ham, Jack Lambert and Andy Russell were LBs in college and those three on probably the top three best LB's in Steelers history. But the question was asked of Rian Wallace and comparisons were being made why hasn't become the next Jason Gildon, Joey Porter,Greg Lloyd, Chad Brown and Clark Haggans. Well all of them played DE in college and were turned into OLB in the Steelers 3-4 defense. Which the Steelers are known for doing along with other teams. The Cowboys drafted DeMarcus Ware a few years ago (former DE in college) now OLB in the Cowboys 3-4 defense.

My point is the OLB main job in a 3-4 defense is to rush the passer. All those players I named above where former DE in college so they had the pass rush skills as former DE in college. Thats why they could make the transition to OLB plus they were athletic enough to drop into coverage.

Now Rian Wallace didn't play DE in college and he probably lacks the ideal pass rush skills needed for OLB in a 3-4 defense.

Just a thought

I know for sure that Chad Brown started at ILB and moved to OLB in College not DE.

tony hipchest
03-08-2007, 01:04 PM
could have had urlacher instead of burress.

you forgot simmons:smile:as a former lobo, i woulda preferred urlacher. unfortunately at the time, randy moss and those thought to be like him was the nfl craze in the nfl. i often wondered if urlacher woulda been too good for the steelers and we get outbid for him like chad brown or k. bell.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-08-2007, 01:10 PM
I know for sure that Chad Brown started at ILB and moved to OLB in College not DE.

I know Chad Brown started at ILB for the Steelers and moved outside when Lloyd went down with knee injury. But I thought he also played DE in college. I might be wrong though. But my point is for the most part the Steelers when looking for OLB in their defense turned to former college DE. Big reason since the main job for an OLB in a 3-4 defense is to rush the passer. As former DE they have the pass rush skills.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-08-2007, 01:15 PM
I goofed on Brown. Just so used to Steelers turning former college DE into OLB that for some reason that Brown was a former DE to. Sorry made a ****ing mistake.lol

Steeldude
03-11-2007, 05:42 AM

Just a thought

only porter and gildon played DE in college. this is why they struggled against the run. brown, kirkland, haggans and lloyd were all LBs in college.

Elvis
03-11-2007, 07:31 AM
I know that I dont think that he is the Answer to our prayers at OLB...:wink02:

Suitanim
03-11-2007, 04:27 PM
He's a LB the Steelers drafted and kept. Given their track record, and the fact that he's gonna have a few years of seasoning under his belt, I'd say he's almost certainly going to be a better option than any LB we would/could draft this year. The Steelers LB's job is so complex even 10 year veterans struggle to master all the intricacies of the position.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2007, 04:31 PM
only porter and gildon played DE in college. this is why they struggled against the run. brown, kirkland, haggans and lloyd were all LBs in college.

Haggans played DE in college to check yourself. As for Lloyd he went back and forth playing LB and DE.

Suitanim
03-13-2007, 06:12 PM
To extrapolate further on the role of an LB in the 3-4, let's clarify. A LB's role is NOT to solely rush the QB. A 3-4 LB's role includes (but is not limited to): Rushing the passer, playing as a 4th DL, playing man-to-man coverage on the slot WR/H-back/TE, dropping into coverage and playing zone defense in the secondary with a primary or secondary role of spying on a RB or QB, and playing zone or running blitzes against the run.

And each of these responsibilities changes on each play, depending on what the play call is on either side of the ball. You can't just be a physical freak anymore...you need to be smart and have a great grasp of the playbook, as well as the ability to play instinctually while remaining disciplined.

tony hipchest
03-13-2007, 06:39 PM
To extrapolate further on the role of an LB in the 3-4, let's clarify. A LB's role is NOT to solely rush the QB. A 3-4 LB's role includes (but is not limited to): Rushing the passer, playing as a 4th DL, playing man-to-man coverage on the slot WR/H-back/TE, dropping into coverage and playing zone defense in the secondary with a primary or secondary role of spying on a RB or QB, and playing zone or running blitzes against the run.

And each of these responsibilities changes on each play, depending on what the play call is on either side of the ball. You can't just be a physical freak anymore...you need to be smart and have a great grasp of the playbook, as well as the ability to play instinctually while remaining disciplined. "joey porter sucks. he only had 7 sacks" :rolleyes:

on a sidenote, add john clayton to the list along with me and fmr steeler qb and current sirius nfl analyst jim miller, to those who believe the tandem of porter and taylor will bring havoc to qb's like green and lloyd/ green and lathon under d. capers. (porter to this point is still considered better in coverage than his counterpart)

i cant remember, wasnt k. green considered old, past his prime, and lost a step when he joined the steelers? or panthers?

Suitanim
03-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Excellent. It's a chess match now, not checkers. There are no simple solutions, and there are no quick fixes. But every team is close. Look at the Saints. They added a few key players and almost went to the Super Bowl, and they were a MESS last year.

The Steelers have done more with less than any team year after year after year, and yet, every Spring, we have to hear the same inane nonsense from rank amateurs who have no clue about the depth and breadth of knowledge the Steelers FO brings into play each year. It's sad...

GBMelBlount
03-13-2007, 10:50 PM
we definitely need depth, but this free agent market is crazy. back up and roll players are signing $5 mil/year contracts left and right. average players are switching teams and making more money than star players such as the giants 3rd wr going to the vikings, cowboys back up center going to the cardinals, and new englands 2nd TE going to denver.

theres no way the rooneys are gonna pay starter money to a back up player. our backups already are on pretty good deals but players like essex, kemoeatu, kirchke, townsend, okolbi, hoke would all probably get $5 mil/ year if they were free agents in this years market.

if the steelers were serious about giving banta cain even 4 million/ year ist probably a small miracle and blessing in disguise SF didnt let him leave w/o a contract. hell, didnt 37 yr old jr seau playing on a $1 mil contract have him planted on the bench? i see the steelers going the chad brown or jr seau route (not those players specifically) after pre season roster cuts.

Not sure if those numbers add up. But if true, better someone else paying that than us.