PDA

View Full Version : Davenport taken care of

polamalufan43
03-07-2007, 06:28 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/74348/

not sure if posted yet...

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers added depth to their offensive backfield today when they signed free agent running back Najeh Davenport to a two-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not released.
Davenport (6-1, 247) originally signed with the Steelers Sept. 8, 2006, and became a regular contributor as a running back on third downs and returning kickoffs. He finished second on the team with 221 rushing yards and one touchdown on 60 carries (3.7 avg.) and caught 15 passes for 193 yards (12.9 avg.) and a score. Davenport took on an increased role on offense after former back-up running back Verron Haynes injured his knee in Week 7 at Oakland.

Davenport's biggest impact may have come on special teams where he led the Steelers in both kickoff returns (21) and kickoff return yards (448) and averaged 21.3 yards-per-attempt. He also recorded five special teams tackles.

Davenport spent his first four seasons with the Green Bay Packers, who originally selected him in the fourth round of the 2002 NFL Draft. He played four seasons with Green Bay before being released prior to the 2006 season. Davenport has rushed for 1,289 yards and eight touchdowns on 277 carries (4.7 avg.) and caught 32 passes for 300 yards (9.4 avg.) and a score in his five NFL seasons. He has also returned 66 kickoffs for 1,537 yards (23.3 avg.) during his career.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

tony hipchest
03-07-2007, 06:51 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/74348/

not sure if posted yet...

:yawn: about a week ago...

...its definitely the offseason.

PalmerSteel
03-07-2007, 07:16 PM
if this guy can stay healthy, he could help alot. thats a big if though. he reminds me too much of duce with his injury history. thats scary :injured:

tony hipchest
03-08-2007, 11:52 PM
this is a good signing though. najeh is the perfect player, at his position, to dump it off in the backfield to.

hopefully he can develop into that "pound it into the end zone" player we need; however, it is still the offensive line's doodie to open holes for him.

im sure even all the closet duce fans applaud this movement.

i know hes had is past transgressions, butt even our new team leader, TP, said he was gonna wipe davenports slate clean, and anyone who wants to talk shit about him should just keep in mind that tomlin seems to have no problem with keeping him as our number 2 back.

personally, i wouldve hated to see him defect to another team.

klick81
03-09-2007, 12:14 AM
butt even our new team leader, TP, said he was gonna wipe davenports slate clean.

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

Tony, Tony, Tony.

ChronoCross
03-09-2007, 12:31 AM
So he got a bigger Dollar menu at McDonalds.

http://www.foodmall.org/images/cheesa-4_7.jpg

stlrtruck
03-09-2007, 07:45 AM
I hope he earns the contract. I was a little disappointed with the way he was used last year!

He's got some potential to be a relief for FWP! Let's use him, make him earn the money!

drew102e
03-09-2007, 08:50 AM
meh, woopie

Jeremy
03-09-2007, 08:55 AM
I like the deal. He should have been used more last season. And now with the trend of having two quality running backs in the NFL, it's going to be more important to have a guy like Davenport on the roster.

drew102e
03-09-2007, 09:10 AM
a trend we perfected w/bettis and parker

Stainless Steel
03-09-2007, 09:16 AM
I like the deal. He should have been used more last season. And now with the trend of having two quality running backs in the NFL, it's going to be more important to have a guy like Davenport on the roster.
Yes, Tomlin has already said that he wants to go to the 2 RB formation in a recent article. I have wanted to see Bettis and Parker in the backfield. Bettis could block as good as anyone. The name of the game is keep 'em guessing.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-09-2007, 02:02 PM
:yawn: about a week ago...

...its definitely the offseason.

:yawn: My thoughts. EXACTLY.

polamalufan43
03-09-2007, 02:31 PM
:yawn: My thoughts. EXACTLY.

I think that's finally setting in. Considering we all seem lost:flap:

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Suitanim
03-09-2007, 06:25 PM
He's a 250 lb back who effectively returned kick-offs!

He's definitely a huge asset if he can stay healthy...

tony hipchest
03-09-2007, 06:36 PM
He's definitely a huge asset if he can stay healthy...a steady diet of fiber should be good for his health. maybe he can eventually realize his potential of being a "regular" back in the nfl. i dont think he wants to be a "relief" back forever.

huge asset

:chuckle: good one.

Suitanim
03-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Aw, I've given him a pass...he had so much working against him. First off, I give ANY player from Thug U credit for escaping incarceration. If the worst thing he did was get wasted and take a dump in some chicks room, he's WAY better off than just about 98% of the other killers and rapists and drug adicts the U "graduates"...

tony hipchest
03-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Aw, I've given him a pass...he had so much working against him. First off, I give ANY player from Thug U credit for escaping incarceration. If the worst thing he did was get wasted and take a dump in some chicks room, he's WAY better off than just about 98% of the other killers and rapists and drug adicts the U "graduates"...oh, i dont hold that against him. in my book, it shows courage and moxy. steelers are much easier to give a pass too. like if townsend did slug some ass in a nightclub, i gotta give the benefit of doubt to the steeler. and ive done forgotten which back up steeler it was leading the cops on a motorcycle chase last year. and holmes has ironed his shit out as well as the girl did with her clothes in the hamper najeh crapped in.

GBMelBlount
03-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Aw, I've given him a pass...he had so much working against him. First off, I give ANY player from Thug U credit for escaping incarceration. If the worst thing he did was get wasted and take a dump in some chicks room, he's WAY better off than just about 98% of the other killers and rapists and drug adicts the U "graduates"...

Sounds like he's OK on the fiber Tony. Glad we kept him.:banana: