PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap Adjustments are in

tony hipchest
03-08-2007, 11:04 AM
this kinda sucks but helps explain why joey was a cap casualty when it appeared we were already under $109 mil:

http://nfl.com/news/story/10045377 (rest of the article is pretty damn good too)

SALARY-CAP ADJUSTMENTS
Finally, the salary-cap adjustments have been made and teams know how much space they have. The salary cap was set at $109 million per team but adjustments for each team had to be made for incentives earned and not earned.

If a team had been charged in the 2006 salary cap for a likely-to-be-earned incentive and the player never earned that incentive, then the club gets the salary-cap space back in 2007. With that in mind, the teams with the most adjusted space are Minnesota ($118 million), Kansas City ($117.5 million), Jacksonville ($117.5 million), New Orleans ($115.5 million), and Cleveland ($115.4 million).

On the other side of the coin, teams that had not-likely-to-be-earned incentives that didn't count against the 2006 cap but were earned by players during the 2006 season adjusts the 2007 cap down from $109 million. Teams seeing their cap space shrink include Tennessee ($105.4 million), the Jets ($105.8 million), Miami ($106.3 million), Pittsburgh ($106.3 million), and San Diego ($106.4 million).

It's not a bad thing, especially if a player produced more than expected. However, it does take upward of $4 million of the 2007 space away from a team's effort to compete this season.
i think minnesota was already about 20 something million under the cap and now they have an extra 9???

Livinginthe past
03-08-2007, 11:23 AM
It would be interesting to know what players managed to over achieve last year on the Steelers team - the Willie Parker is the only one who springs to mind.

Any ideas?

Counselor
03-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Wille Parker has to be the big one.

Perhaps something to do with the rookies (Holmes, Smith) reaching certain statistical or playing time milestones? Didn't Jeff Reed finally break the longest field goal record at Heinz Field---thats gotta be worth $500!

tony hipchest
03-08-2007, 12:41 PM
It would be interesting to know what players managed to over achieve last year on the Steelers team - the Willie Parker is the only one who springs to mind.

Any ideas?saying ben and willie "managed to over achieve" for throwing 3500+ yds and rushing for over 12 tds, almost sounds like a slam. im sure along with similar bonuses to these, holmes had one for snaps played or rec/rec yds. bens contract was loaded with incentive clauses, as im sure willies bargain deal was too. holmes contract was rather cheap also so all 3 probably ate a good chunk of that adjusted price.

Livinginthe past
03-09-2007, 01:04 AM
saying ben and willie "managed to over achieve" for throwing 3500+ yds and rushing for over 12 tds, almost sounds like a slam. im sure along with similar bonuses to these, holmes had one for snaps played or rec/rec yds. bens contract was loaded with incentive clauses, as im sure willies bargain deal was too. holmes contract was rather cheap also so all 3 probably ate a good chunk of that adjusted price.

You think Bens contract would have an incentive related directly to passing yardage?

I'd find it difficult to believe that Ben could throw for 23 INT's and only 18 TD's and still hit an incentive clause.

I can see Willie hitting the target and also Holmes who a good rookie year as a receiver.

NM

Livinginthe past
03-09-2007, 01:06 AM
I think Colclough and Holmes must have had incentives for fumbles lost, and Starks probably had one for missed blocks.

Ouch. :sofunny:

NM

RoethlisBURGHer
03-09-2007, 01:20 AM
I think Colclough and Holmes must have had incentives for fumbles lost, and Starks probably had one for missed blocks.

:dang: :sofunny: :toofunny:

AZ_Steeler
03-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Here is a pretty good site that shows all the latest adjustments:

http://steelersalarycap.com/

verks36
03-09-2007, 02:04 AM

ahhaaha that was funny:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I think Nate washington also has to be added to that list since he is making near minium wage. Also Ike taylor is producing well but i dont know how much he is making. I am telling you by next year we will be adding james harrison to this list he is going to have a monster year

BTW- how much is troy making $$$$$$$.

drew102e
03-09-2007, 08:45 AM

good one...

maybe whiz got an incentive for calling shotgun pitch to verron hayne EVERYTIME on 3rd and short,

tony hipchest
03-09-2007, 09:15 AM
You think Bens contract would have an incentive related directly to passing yardage?

I'd find it difficult to believe that Ben could throw for 23 INT's and only 18 TD's and still hit an incentive clause.

NM

yes. its not that hard to believe actually if you understand the way contracts and bonus clauses are written. agents and teams can put anything they want in bonus clauses. leigh steinberg is one of the most creative in the business, in creating deals and getting them signed that are not only fair to the team but very fair for his client assuming that client can produce. he takes a gamble on his clients and never holds a teams mgmt hostage which is one of the main reasons he is one of the most respected agents around. as you can see about 45% of bens potential salary depends on his production.

http://steelersalarycap.com/

signed a six-year contract worth $22.26 million in salaries and bonuses, with an additional $17.73 million available via incentives. This contract was signed on or around August 4, 2004 as reported by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Roethlisberger received a $600,000 signing bonus in 2004 and $1,172,000 roster bonus. He received a $7.37 option bonus in 2005. He will receive an $8 million roster bonus in 2009, reportedly due on March 5, 2009.

Year
Base Salary $655,500
ProRated SB $1,547,400
Roster
Workout $3,850
LTBE $1,926,600
Deion Rule $416,250
Cap Value $4,549,600

"Some contract details are hard to find; especially LTBE bonuses and NLTBE bonuses. I do my best…."

dont get too caught up in your opinion of who underperformed or overperformed. LTBE and NLTBE bonuses are very subjective, but a 3500yd milestone is a clear line drawn in the sand regardless of int's thrown. just likes bens $250,000 bonus for leading the team to and winning a superbowl. he earned and was paid that bonus (as written in his contract) regardless if you think he played poorly or not.

Indy_Steelers
03-09-2007, 07:21 PM

Holmes only lost 2 so he must not have got a very big bonus.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/413021

GBMelBlount
03-09-2007, 08:39 PM

Hysterical! You forgot Ben. I have never seen anything turnoverwise like what happened last year. Could've won 3-5 additional games! :tt02:

Haiku_Dirtt
03-10-2007, 02:31 AM

Any ideas?

"interesting to know what players managed to over achieve"

LITP went far out of his way not to be condecending but 'we the cynics' are always in search of those out to tarnish Steeler football.

When you have four times as many presidents in the same time as you have one head coach the measuring stick becomes limp.

So. If we tone down "over achieve" to "worth every dollar" then the Steelers always have candidates. James Harrison. Kiesel had better numbers than one of my favorites in Kimo. We could go on but not much longer.

Why? We sucked last year. And not because the talent is absent.

LEADERSHIP VOID.

My new favorite "no one" is Colon. This cat is a bad ass mo fo. And I think he can play in the NFL!!!