PDA

View Full Version : 2 Free Agents to visit Steelers

83-Steelers-43
03-08-2007, 11:38 AM
2 free agents visit Steelers
Thursday, March 08, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers entertained their first two unrestricted free agents today when Seattle offensive lineman Floyd Womack and Baltimore wide receiver Alex Bannister paid a visit to their facility on the South Side.

Punter Andy Lee, a restricted free agent, is the only other player to visit the Steelers since free agency began Friday. The Steelers signed Lee and await word whether his team, the San Francisco 49ers, will match the offer.

Bannister stands 6 feet 5 and made the Pro Bowl as a special teams player in 2003. Seattle drafted him on the fifth round in 2001 from Eastern Kentucky and waived him in June. Baltimore signed him last Dec. 19.

Womack, nicknamed "Pork Chop" by his mother, is a 6-4, 330-pound versatile lineman who has played every position except center. Seattle also drafted him in 2001, on the fourth round.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07067/767895-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
03-08-2007, 11:41 AM
I don't know about anybody else, but I think we should sign the guy simply because his nickname is "Pork Chop". That deserves an automatic contract in my book. :wink02:

We would end up having Casey "Big Snack" Hampton and Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-08-2007, 12:07 PM
wow...exciting news! A scrub wide receiver and a pork chop.

(note: sarcasm included).

paw-n-maul-u
03-08-2007, 12:08 PM
looks like we are bringing in some OL-men in FA ... a pretty good indication that there could be a shakeup on the right side of the line and possibly even our center. also might be an indication that steelers are going def. going Defense in the draft with maybe some OL pick ups on day 2.

OneForTheToe
03-08-2007, 12:08 PM
We would end up having Casey "Big Snack" Hampton and Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack.

Bring back the Oklahoma drills. That would be a classic play-by-play.

tony hipchest
03-08-2007, 12:25 PM
this is potentially exciting news. pork chop plays fanecas position and the rooneys and colbert are too smart not to be shopping him around, being that his value is at a peak right now (buy low, sell high).

if seattle is dumb enough to give up a 1st for branch, maybe the browns will give up #3 for faneca. is faneca worth calvin johnson?

dunkuntou
03-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Faneca is worth more than the #3 pick...sorry there isn't much I would trade for Alan Faneca...

You have to understand how important the left guard is to an offense that loves to run. No one in the league pulls like Faneca and he is the best guard in the NFL.

One of our biggest problems last year was our offensive line...why trade our best offensive lineman when it was probably our biggest weakness

dunkuntou
03-08-2007, 01:16 PM
I also disagree with your value statement...I don't think it could be anymore wrong

The Jets gave up moving down in the second round to get Thomas Jones and the Ravens only gave two thirds and a seventh for Willis MaGahee

tony hipchest
03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
I also disagree with your value statement...I don't think it could be anymore wrong

The Jets gave up moving down in the second round to get Thomas Jones and the Ravens only gave two thirds and a seventh for Willis MaGaheeand 3 average linemen just signed $50 million deals. couple that with hutchinson last year and in todays market guards are much more valuable than running backs.

if our biggest problem and weakness was the offensive line, whats that tell you about faneca? sure hes good (probably still the best lg in the game). i dont know what his trade value would be because theres not alot of precedent for trading a superstar lineman. maybe its 2 1sts from arizona. maybe its only a 2nd from seattle. you can bet the rooneys are finding out though.

fansince'76
03-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Faneca is worth more than the #3 pick...sorry there isn't much I would trade for Alan Faneca...

You have to understand how important the left guard is to an offense that loves to run. No one in the league pulls like Faneca and he is the best guard in the NFL.

One of our biggest problems last year was our offensive line...why trade our best offensive lineman when it was probably our biggest weakness

Because it will probably come down to losing him in FA, or worse, as a cap casualty and getting nothing for him (see Porter) - especially when the 1st franchise QB we've had in 20+ years and the once-in-a-generation type player we currently have playing safety are due for HUGE raises not too long from now.

Ward86MVP
03-08-2007, 02:21 PM
The team does need some depth on the OL, so Womack would be a nice pickup at the right price, but as far as Bannister is concerned, he's just a role receiver. We have those type of guys already in Nate Washington and Cedrick Wilson. There is no need to add another guy that will only catch 20 balls this season.

SteelerTim
03-08-2007, 02:31 PM
The scouting report on Womack is

G Floyd Womack has the ability to play all four positions except center. Too bad he can't stay healthy.

I say pass

SteelShooter
03-08-2007, 04:03 PM

G Floyd Womack has the ability to play all four positions except center. Too bad he can't stay healthy.

I say pass

I kind of agree on that..............kind of. We do not need another Duce Staley that is going to sit around and suck up cap money and get injured every year.
But on the other hand, if this guy is really that good, wouldn't it be nice to put him at RIGHT Guard, since the guy he would be replacing is a candidate for Center? Then we have the option of shuffling personnel at will, should an injury occur (IF, that is, he comes at the right price).

.................................................. ........just food for thought. :checkit:

19ward86
03-08-2007, 04:05 PM
we need all the special teams help we can get.

CStout
03-08-2007, 07:56 PM
if he does sign......you know that faneca's gonna bust womack's chops!

polamalufan43
03-08-2007, 08:13 PM

I say pass

That I didn't know.... hmm, that will definately impact.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

GBMelBlount
03-08-2007, 08:40 PM
I didn't think O-line was that bad last year. Rushing was OK. I just think Ben had problems. Also, Santonio & Washington were still going through a learning curve. We definitely need support on the line. I am leaning towards 1 or 2 picks on day 2. I do feel O-line is probably our biggest need on Offense. Maybe a receiver or running back on day two, but O-line first.

dunkuntou
03-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Because it will probably come down to losing him in FA, or worse, as a cap casualty and getting nothing for him (see Porter) - especially when the 1st franchise QB we've had in 20+ years and the once-in-a-generation type player we currently have playing safety are due for HUGE raises not too long from now.

First, he won't be a cap casualty since he is a free agent next year. Second, while he will command a big contract he is worth every penny. You have to know that in the Steelers system its much easier to replace a OLB in the 3-4 rather than an All-Pro Guard. Our OL has very little depth.

If Womack is signed he will be looked at to play RG to either a) eventually replace Simmons or b) force Simmons to compete with Okobi at center

I didn't think O-line was that bad last year. Rushing was OK. I just think Ben had problems. Also, Santonio & Washington were still going through a learning curve. We definitely need support on the line. I am leaning towards 1 or 2 picks on day 2. I do feel O-line is probably our biggest need on Offense. Maybe a receiver or running back on day two, but O-line first.

The O-Line was horrendous at times last year. They didn't play well at all--Smith looked slow of the snap at times, Faneca was the only good one, Hartings showed his age (clearly), Simmons still needs some work and Starks got beat too many times. Smith will be fine, Simmons would be better at center and Starks is still raw and I wouldn't mind losing him for a first rounder

fansince'76
03-08-2007, 09:31 PM
First, he won't be a cap casualty since he is a free agent next year. Second, while he will command a big contract he is worth every penny.

OK, thanks for the clarification - I wasn't sure how long he had left on his current contract. And no, he's not worth every penny if the possibility exists that we could eventually lose Ben and/or Troy by breaking the bank for him. Think back and please answer this - which loss did this team feel more deeply (not to mention ALOT longer) - the loss of Rod Woodson or the loss of Dermontti Dawson? I pick Woodson. Losing Troy to me would be on the same level.

ajs8207
03-08-2007, 09:51 PM
OK, thanks for the clarification - I wasn't sure how long he had left on his current contract. And no, he's not worth every penny if the possibility exists that we could eventually lose Ben and/or Troy by breaking the bank for him. Think back and please answer this - which loss did this team feel more deeply (not to mention ALOT longer) - the loss of Rod Woodson or the loss of Dermontti Dawson? I pick Woodson. Losing Troy to me would be on the same level.

I agree. Why pay Faneca top dollar when he is passed his prime when you can keep both Polamalu and Ben, both who have yet to reach the primes of their respective careers.

GBMelBlount
03-08-2007, 10:15 PM
dunkuntou

I think we can definitely stand to upgrade our O-line but again, I don't think ben was as confident in the pocket. Unfortunately, if not through FA, I don't think we'll hit O-line needs until after defensive needs are met in day 1. We'll see.

MJ5150
03-08-2007, 11:21 PM
I live near Seattle.....trust me on this one....

We do NOT want Floyd Womack. He has been anointed the heir apparent to a couple guys on the Seattle OL, and never lived up to the hype to earn a starting job convincingly. He started in Seattle out of necessity, not because he went out and beat out another guy for the position.

He gets hurt all the time, and gets beat by fast DL all day long. Asking about Womack in a PC always brought out the frustration in Holmgren.

Interestingly, Bannister is a Seattle reject. Just like Womack, he was a star in the making in Seattle for Holmgren. Just like Womack, he never panned out either so off he went to the high flying Ravens.... :confused:

What is with the Steelers hunting down all of these Seahawk rejects?

-Mike

jjpro11
03-08-2007, 11:39 PM
What is with the Steelers hunting down all of these Seahawk rejects?

-Mike

we just like to show off our super bowl 40 trophy to them. so close.. yet so far away... :nana:

MJ5150
03-08-2007, 11:41 PM
we just like to show off our super bowl 40 trophy to them. so close.. yet so far away... :nana:

Good point. We'll also have plenty of chances to do that when the Scooby-hawks visit Heinz Field next year.

All the sports radio guys out here are already getting fired up for that game.

-Mike

yinzer-inseattle
03-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Good point. We'll also have plenty of chances to do that when the Scooby-hawks visit Heinz Field next year.

All the sports radio guys out here are already getting fired up for that game.

-Mike

MJ

Agree with you on the hype for the Sea-Pit game this year. Everyone here is already hyping up the "revenge" angle. Can't wait to rub another one in.

For Goodness sake......... please just say no to Pork Chops!

Love the avatar. That's a great Herbie album! Chameleon is one of my favorite tunes.

MJ5150
03-09-2007, 10:53 AM
MJ

Agree with you on the hype for the Sea-Pit game this year. Everyone here is already hyping up the "revenge" angle. Can't wait to rub another one in.

For Goodness sake......... please just say no to Pork Chops!

Love the avatar. That's a great Herbie album! Chameleon is one of my favorite tunes.

I agree on the game next year. It will be interesting to hear the excuses this time.

OK....see that? Another Seattle guy knows the same things I do....Floyd Womack needs to stay far AWAY from the Steelers.

Thanks for the compliment on the avatar. I play the bass guitar because of listening to that album.

-Mike

SteelerFanInTX210
03-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Ive seen Alex Bannister play and he alright and hes a big target we might need but i dont know much about the offensive lineman Womack. Any thoughts...? http://news.steelers.com/article/74360/

Did you see the reports about Ohio states proday the kid Roy Hall http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10418#news hes another big target that might be a sleeper

ChronoCross
03-11-2007, 11:17 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15511

abgroove
03-12-2007, 04:41 AM
Womack already re-signed with Seattle.