PDA

View Full Version : 1974 STEELERS ON NFL NETWORK 3/09/07

12+88=6
03-08-2007, 05:12 PM
1974 Pittsburgh Steelers
The story of the 1974 Pittsburgh Steelers with Joe Greene, Andy Russel and Franco Harris. Narrated by Ed Harris.
NFLNET
Fri 3/9 8:00 PM
Fri 3/9 11:00 PM
Sat 3/10 2:00 AM
Sat 3/10 12:30 PM

DON'T MISS IT!

83-Steelers-43
03-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Much appreciated.

NV STEELERS 723
03-08-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm pissed I'm going to miss it!

GBMelBlount
03-08-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm embarassed. I was a Cowboy fan until a few years ago. Living in Pgh for 15 year finally converted me. I love the pittsburgh mentality and belief. I am a 10 times stronger fan of the steelers than I ever was of the Cowboys! I love the steelers heritage and I will be watching! Go Steelers!

tony hipchest
03-08-2007, 09:41 PM
the promo/ commercial is great. it has joe green scoffing at all these modern atheletes who talk about always being in "the zone". seems he thinks its hogwash. he says-

"i played in the league for 13 years and was only in "the zone" once."

SteelerFanInCA
03-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the reminder 12+88.

Bedo1234
03-09-2007, 03:34 PM
hmmmm....South Side tonight or 74 steelers and a case of Iron City? can't wait good lookin

GO STEELERS
Brandon

tony hipchest
03-09-2007, 03:44 PM
after tonights episode i believe theres another special on the steelers (30 min recap of sb IX), so check your listings in case you have vcrs or dvrs set.

Atlanta Dan
03-09-2007, 06:53 PM
after tonights episode i believe theres another special on the steelers (30 min recap of sb IX), so check your listings in case you have vcrs or dvrs set.

I think it is the SB IX highlight film. It is great but like many of us I have seen it so many times I probably can recite a lot of the lines along with Facenda (e.g. - they play the Monday Night football theme music while Facenda intones that the "mantle of greatness" passes in that game from the Purple People Eaters to the Steel Curtain).

GBMelBlount
03-09-2007, 08:02 PM
1974 Pittsburgh Steelers
The story of the 1974 Pittsburgh Steelers with Joe Greene, Andy Russel and Franco Harris. Narrated by Ed Harris.
NFLNET
Fri 3/9 8:00 PM
Fri 3/9 11:00 PM
Sat 3/10 2:00 AM
Sat 3/10 12:30 PM

DON'T MISS IT!

Holy Crap. That was unbelievable! Thanks for the info:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
03-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Ernie Holmes yelling out while Gene Upshaw is in the huddle in the AFC Championship game

"Eugene - Eugene! - I am going to kick your ass!"

Greene cracks up remembering it 30 years later.

No defense ever kicked it like the 74-76 Steelers.

GBMelBlount
03-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Ernie Holmes yelling out while Gene Upshaw is in the huddle in the AFC Championship game

"Eugene - Eugene! - I am going to kick your ass!"

Greene cracks up remembering it 30 years later.

No defense ever kicked it like the 74-76 Steelers.

Truth hurts!:tt02: :tt02:

tony hipchest
03-09-2007, 09:43 PM
I think it is the SB IX highlight film.i shoulda figured. it was cool to see joe green give so much credit to the offense and franco give so much credit to the defense, even to this day.

like green said, they never won a sb before franco and they didnt win one after he left. its like picking your favorite child, but after seeing al 4 of the steelers in the series, id have to say joe green and dwight wight were my favorites giving commentary.

it was cool to hear how they were practically begging for a curfew by wednesday in new orleans.

and even though the older bradshaw gets the greater his career seems to become it was nice they didnt sugar coat it and gave some proper respect to j. gilliam and the potential he once held.

GBMelBlount
03-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Joe & Franco were awesome. Did anyone know what a piece of NFL history this was in 1974! Regardless of how good they were the Steeleres worked their asses off. Terry clutched. As Greene said, they were in "the zone"....then they hit their stride. Tony, there are alot of quarterbacks who have great runs (Gilliam). Bradshaw did it 4 times in the clutch (with a great support staff). I don't think Bradshaw was flawless (Ugh!) but he did it none the less. I think he compares favorably to Ben in superbowl performance. GO Steelers!

Atlanta Dan
03-10-2007, 08:34 AM
I enjoyed watching them all, but of the 4 America's Game programs on the 70s Steelers I thought the 75 Steelers program was the best written and narrated (Bruce Willis) of the 4, with 3 excellent commentators in Swann, Wagner (a revelation to me with his insights), and Mad Dog - may have something to do with my opinion that 75 team was the best of all the Steelers SB champs. Agreed Joe Greene was the star of the 74 Steelers program.

Seems as if NFL Network put a little more into production of the top 20 SB teams programs (e.g. Bruce Willis/Martin Sheen/Donald Sutherland as narrators rather than Ed Harris for apparently most everything else) than the rest of the series. However, all the programs are worth a view.

tony hipchest
06-01-2007, 08:47 PM
this gets better every time you see it. the clips of joe green in the "stunt 4-3" are the only ones ive seen. pure dominance.

terry bradshaws trials and tribulations in his 1st 4 years, kinda gives perspective to what big ben is currently going through. neither were (or will be) the hometown favorite or leader of stats, i just hope ben can achieve the same level of success.

franco, andy and mean joe gotta be the best 3 commentators of the 5. of course i will change my mind as soon as i watch the next one again.

Atlanta Dan
06-02-2007, 07:22 AM
this gets better every time you see it. the clips of joe green in the "stunt 4-3" are the only ones ive seen. pure dominance.

terry bradshaws trials and tribulations in his 1st 4 years, kinda gives perspective to what big ben is currently going through. neither were (or will be) the hometown favorite or leader of stats, i just hope ben can achieve the same level of success.

franco, andy and mean joe gotta be the best 3 commentators of the 5. of course i will change my mind as soon as i watch the next one again.

1975 Steelers is on at 8 tonight - of the 4 America's Game programs that was my favorite (White, Wagner, Swann were excellent commentators), maybe because I thought that team was the best of the 4 SB winners (Franco in his prime, Swann had >10 (12?) TD catches, defense much better than 78-79 teams).

Elvis
06-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Seeing that 74 team being so young and having to deal with so much contreversy with the black QB getttin' off to a great start to the season but then slacking off and Terry having to take over the Steelers team. I just love the thought of Mean Joe Greene... man what a monster he was. The Steelers needs to watch some of these guys playing their prime games to just get them jacked up!!!!!!
:tt02:

tony hipchest
06-02-2007, 10:35 PM
1975 Steelers is on at 8 tonight - of the 4 America's Game programs that was my favorite (White, Wagner, Swann were excellent commentators), maybe because I thought that team was the best of the 4 SB winners (Franco in his prime, Swann had >10 (12?) TD catches, defense much better than 78-79 teams).

one of my favorite lines from all 5 of the series:

"now you can take this ass whoopin' any way you wanna take it.... but youre gonna take it"

-Dwight White (on facing the browns the week they allowed o.j. run all over them)

we all know how polished swann is in front of the camera. and while wagner and white are not nearly as popular (or my favorites) their viewpoint are so rare and overshadowed by all the other stars. they definitely offer the most refreshing insight of that era.

i think ive mentionned this before but the most amazing stat is that the bengals and oilers went a combined 21-3 vs. the rest of the nfl and 0-4 against the steelers. 75 was the 1st time a division had 3 teams winning 10 games. nobody can say the steelers did it against poor competition. from the beginning to the end of their run they faced shulas dolphins, and pseudo dynaties such as the cowboys and raiders.

i will give the patriots credit for advancing to the sb 3 times off of sb winning teams like the colts and steelers, but they never had to face a division like the steelers did, or an nfc powerhouse like the cowboys or vikings were.

andy russels "slowest longest td run of all time" and the colts bert jones being blocked 3 times on the play is classic!

Atlanta Dan
06-03-2007, 11:43 AM
one of my favorite lines from all 5 of the series:

-Dwight White (on facing the browns the week they allowed o.j. run all over them)

we all know how polished swann is in front of the camera. and while wagner and white are not nearly as popular (or my favorites) their viewpoint are so rare and overshadowed by all the other stars. they definitely offer the most refreshing insight of that era.

i think ive mentionned this before but the most amazing stat is that the bengals and oilers went a combined 21-3 vs. the rest of the nfl and 0-4 against the steelers. 75 was the 1st time a division had 3 teams winning 10 games. nobody can say the steelers did it against poor competition. from the beginning to the end of their run they faced shulas dolphins, and pseudo dynaties such as the cowboys and raiders.

i will give the patriots credit for advancing to the sb 3 times off of sb winning teams like the colts and steelers, but they never had to face a division like the steelers did, or an nfc powerhouse like the cowboys or vikings were.

andy russels "slowest longest td run of all time" and the colts bert jones being blocked 3 times on the play is classic!

White and Wagner (along with Holmes & Glen Edwards, both of whom were gone after 1977) were key Pro Bowl level components of the 1974-75 champs who, due to age and injury, were not nearly as important to the 1978-79 crowns. Their appearance was not quite the third wheel/journeyman role that such players as Grossman and Banaszak had on the 1978 and 1979 programs (although I enjoyed immensely what Grossman and Banaszak had to say). I was glad to see whomever did the casting sought out some of the non-HOF Steelers and brought in Dwight and Mike, both of whom have had successful business careers in Pittsburgh.

If you go to the NFL.com America's Game site and click on the link to the 1975 Steelers they have video outtakes from the program:

With regard to Bert Jones, White says Jones "had a mouth" and "could have played for Cleveland":sofunny:

With regard to White's comment "Lambert's difficult - period ... with everybody" that is preceded by White stating Lambert threw a jock strap in Dwight's face during 1974 training camp:jawdrop:

In closing, that '75 team was so good it won the SB despite peaking in late November/early December and won 2 playoff games despite making 13(!) turnovers.

tony hipchest
06-03-2007, 03:27 PM
White and Wagner (along with Holmes & Glen Edwards, both of whom were gone after 1977) were key Pro Bowl level components of the 1974-75 champs who, due to age and injury, were not nearly as important to the 1978-79 crowns. Their appearance was not quite the third wheel/journeyman role that such players as Grossman and Banaszak had on the 1978 and 1979 programs (although I enjoyed immensely what Grossman and Banaszak had to say). I was glad to see whomever did the casting sought out some of the non-HOF Steelers and brought in Dwight and Mike, both of whom have had successful business careers in Pittsburgh.

If you go to the NFL.com America's Game site and click on the link to the 1975 Steelers they have video outtakes from the program:

With regard to Bert Jones, White says Jones "had a mouth" and "could have played for Cleveland":sofunny:

With regard to White's comment "Lambert's difficult - period ... with everybody" that is preceded by White stating Lambert threw a jock strap in Dwight's face during 1974 training camp:jawdrop:

In closing, that '75 team was so good it won the SB despite peaking in late November/early December and won 2 playoff games despite making 13(!) turnovers.the 13 turnovers in 2 playoff games is almost an unbelievable stat. im definitely gonna check out those outtakes (didnt know nfl.com had them) :thumbsup:

being that that was lamberts rookie year, his jock mustve looked like a damn bowling ball bag to be big enough to hold his huevos!

i still crack up everytime i hear swann tell how lambert just came up to him in the locker room and said "hey swann, i shoulda been 1st. you shoulda been 2nd". i guess lawrence taylor is the closest thing the nfl has seen like that since lambert was around.

did every team have so many players missing teeth back then, or was it just the steelers defense?

i know this has already been discussed, but those clips of the raiders abusing swann were pretty funny. swanns like " what the hell did i do". it was cool of white to give the raiders their due for being the closest thing to the steelers, and then scoff at al davis' whining and excuse making.

i could watch this 100 times. i have it tivo'd but its like "shawshank redemption". anytime its on, its must see.