PDA

View Full Version : First Linebacker Visits Steelers Today

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Linebacker visits Steelers
Friday, March 09, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Colby Bockwoldt became the first linebacker in free agency to visit the Steelers when he arrived at their UPMC facility on Pittsburgh's South Side this morning.

Bockwoldt, 25, started all 16 games for the New Orleans Saints at outside linebacker in 2005 but he was waived before last season. Tennessee claimed him off waivers and he played primarily as a backup and special teams player for the Titans, where he started one game.

Bockwoldt, a seventh-round draft pick from BYU in 2004, became an unrestricted free agent when the Titans did not issue him a qualifying contract offer last week that would have made him a restricted free agent.

He became the fourth player to visit the Steelers in free agency. A fifth, Tampa Bay offensive lineman Sean Mahan, is scheduled to visit this afternoon.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07068/768202-66.stm

MJ5150
03-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Ugh.......parading a steady stream of other teams rejects through town. I wonder who will come to town next? Alvin Harper?

Just stop already.....stop. We aren't going to sign anyone worth anything.

-Mike

memphissteelergirl
03-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Ugh.......parading a steady stream of other teams rejects through town. I wonder who will come to town next? Alvin Harper?

Just stop already.....stop. We aren't going to sign anyone worth anything.

-Mike

Well, that's sure an optimistic attitude :rolling eyes:
I like to think that the coaches and FO folks have some idea what they are doing, so I am just going to wait and see.

Maybe it's not a question of finding the best players, but finding the right ones for the kind of team Tomlin wants to build.

This is Mike's team now, so let the man just do what he thinks he has to.

MJ5150
03-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Well, that's sure an optimistic attitude :rolling eyes:

Well excuse me for not having a "The Steelers are number one in everything" attitude all the time.

I find it discouraging that the Steelers are clearly shopping at the bottom of the FA talent pool. I don't think it is necessary to sign every "A list" FA, but at least show yourself to be a serious player by having them come to town for a look see.

As an example.....you don't rebuild your OL with rejects from other teams. You don't build your team with WR's who could not make it with the Ravens.

-Mike

fansince'76
03-09-2007, 11:57 AM
I find it discouraging that the Steelers are clearly shopping at the bottom of the FA talent pool. I don't think it is necessary to sign every "A list" FA, but at least show yourself to be a serious player by having them come to town for a look see.

If you've been a fan of the Steelers for any amount of time, you know this is the customary way they do things in regards to FA. The Steelers have NEVER been a major player in FA. I don't understand why this still upsets folks. The only thing that does surprise me is that we're actually having FA visits this year.

ajs8207
03-09-2007, 12:30 PM
If you've been a fan of the Steelers for any amount of time, you know this is the customary way they do things in regards to FA. The Steelers have NEVER been a major player in FA. I don't understand why this still upsets folks. The only thing that does surprise me is that we're actually having FA visits this year.

Exactly. We build through the draft. We might as well bring these guys in and see what they are about. If we don't like them, we won't offer them a contract.

Da Steeler Soprano
03-09-2007, 02:00 PM
However we always do seem to sign at least one free agent every year who may not be at the top of their game but at least a recongnizable name amongst the average fans, like example: Ryan Clark, Cedrick Wilson, and Duce Staley the past three years. We already have a very young team and I would like to see some holes filled with veterans that dont need a year of devolping in order to play.

polamalufan43
03-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I agree.
The Steelers have been pretty good at finding talent where others don't see it.

I second that. I'm sure we'll see a reason for whoever they pick in the long run

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

SteelerFanInCA
03-09-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm all in favor of building through the draft but I agree we need to get some seasoned vets in here now to help the cause.

Bedo1234
03-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Our team is filled with seasoned vets, the youngest starter in our front 7 on defense is Brett Kiesel whos got 6 years experience, that is until next year when future pro bowler James Harrison steps into Porters spot. I think we've step ourselves up beautifully to keep on building through the draft while being succesfull. Last year was a fluke.

fansince'76
03-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Our team is filled with seasoned vets, the youngest starter in our front 7 on defense is Brett Kiesel whos got 6 years experience, that is until next year when future pro bowler James Harrison steps into Porters spot. I think we've step ourselves up beautifully to keep on building through the draft while being succesfull. Last year was a fluke.

Agreed - I also think our new coach, although young and inexperienced, won't hesitate to put a boot up someone's ass when needed, which is something we didn't have this past year. Don't get me wrong, I loved Cowher as a coach and I'm gonna miss him, but it was painfully obvious that he was just going through the motions last year and the same apathy was evident throughout the entire team.

GBMelBlount
03-09-2007, 10:22 PM
If we find some "gems" in FA, great, but again, what has made us so competitive in recent times is that we get solid players through the draft. Let's hope & pray for 5 or 6 solid draft picks that stick! Go Steelers!

NV STEELERS 723
03-09-2007, 11:14 PM
I don't think there are any FA names we will sign...and we don't need any ...The STEELERS will draft good prospects...we always seem to find that sleeper.....

I'm glad they don't throw $$$ around like some teams...( Redskins,Pats,Cowboys,Dolphins - just to name a few )

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Brown: Free-agent linebacker eager to sign with Steelers

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 10, 2007

Looking to address needs at linebacker and on the offensive line, the Steelers met with a pair of free agents Friday at the team's South Side practice facility.

Colby Bockwoldt, who would give the Steelers some depth at outside linebacker, sounded as if he were ready to sign with the team.

The same could be said for offensive lineman Sean Mahan, even though the four-year veteran would likely face stiff competition at center.

"I plan on being a starter, so I'm not going to go someplace and not play," Mahan said.

Mahan has visited the Cleveland Browns and Seattle Seahawks and said his agent is talking with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers about re-signing him. He started 28 games for the Buccaneers in 2005-06.

The Browns and Seahawks are looking at Mahan at right guard, he said, while the Steelers and Buccaneers are interested in him as a center.

Bockwoldt, a third-year pro, said he has offers from the Tennessee Titans and San Francisco 49ers but is hopeful a deal can be reached with the Steelers.

"This is the place where I want to be," Bockwoldt said, "so if it comes down to a close call, this is where I hope I end up."

The 6-2, 239-pounder spent last season with the Titans and the previous two with the New Orleans Saints, who took Bockwoldt in the seventh round of the 2004 draft out of Brigham Young University.

Bockwoldt racked up 89 tackles for the Saints in 2005 but was released before last season. He signed with the Titans and had 21 tackles in a reserve role.

The Steelers were thin at outside linebacker even before they released Joey Porter. Adding to Bockwoldt's appeal is his willingness to play in either a 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

If he signs with the Steelers, he would become the fourth player from BYU on the roster.

"I think the Steelers have great linebackers, but there's no doubt that I can probably be a contributing factor to the group," said Bockwoldt, who played two seasons at BYU with starting defensive end Brett Keisel. "That's all I'm looking for, a chance to prove myself."

The Steelers, in a sense, have asked Mahan to do the same.

While Jeff Hartings has retired, the Steelers still have Chukki Okobi at center. The team told Mahan that it might also give right guard Kendall Simmons a look at the position.

Mahan, a fifth-round pick out of Notre Dame in 2003, started 12 games last season and played primarily at left guard because of injuries along the Buccaneers' offensive line.

The 6-3, 301-pounder said he is comfortable playing both guard positions as well as center.

As for when he hopes to sign with a team, Mahan said, "I've got no time frame, but the sooner the better."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_497008.html