PDA

View Full Version : Browns | Team sends Droughns to Giants for Carter

ChronoCross
03-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Browns | Team sends Droughns to Giants for Carter
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:19:44 -0800
Len Pasquarelli (http://www.kffl.com/link/17), of ESPN.com (http://www.kffl.com/link/9), reports the Cleveland Browns (http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl) have sent RB Reuben Droughns (http://www.kffl.com/player/610/nfl) to the New York Giants (http://www.kffl.com/team/26/nfl) in exchange for WR Tim Carter (http://www.kffl.com/player/1208/nfl).

This WR best year is just a little over 300 yards. Has had injury problems and drops the ball a lot. Giants benefited from this.

Suitanim
03-09-2007, 06:59 PM
This is so very....Brownian. They dump a relatively reasonably priced back who has a history of criminal behavior but managed to gain over 1,000 yards behind one of the most porous lines in football in favor of a much more washed up and damaged back who costs about the same but has an even more egregious criminal past. Yeah, yeah, Lewis beat them up for 295 yards in a single game, but that was way back in 2003.

I still think they select Adrian Peterson with the 3rd pick, and, because it's the Browns, he'll end up just like Chucky White, if not LeCharles Bentley...

NV STEELERS 723
03-09-2007, 07:44 PM
This was a steal by the G-Men...Ruben is that big back that can run north,south, sideways...And they already have Brandon Jacobs...

As a fan I sure the hell woudn't mind Ruben playing for us....

Now the G-Men have a pretty good 1 - 2 punch at RB...

ChronoCross
03-09-2007, 11:24 PM
This was a steal by the G-Men...Ruben is that big back that can run north,south, sideways...And they already have Brandon Jacobs...

As a fan I sure the hell woudn't mind Ruben playing for us....

Now the G-Men have a pretty good 1 - 2 punch at RB...

Talking with some G-Men online they do not like the trade. I was surprised but they are who they are Giants fans.

MasterOfPuppets
03-10-2007, 12:21 AM
if i were a giant fan,i'd wanna see jacobs getting 30+ carries a game. the mans a freakin beast.

Suitanim
03-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Here's the problem with Brandon Jacobs (and what makes Jerome Bettis so special): Big running backs have zero longevity in the NFL. Jim Brown was considered huge, and he quit after 7-8 years. Earl Campbell was a monster in his day, and he could only hack 8 years. In all honesty, if you are talking big backs, Jerome is really the only other guy that comes to mind who could play every down over that kind of span, and he was still productive after 10 years.

Droughns is always thought of as a big back, but he weighs like 3 lbs more than Willie Parker. He'll be an excellent compliment to Jacobs and will keep Brandon from getting so many carries that he breaks down. Giants definitely got the best of this deal...

polamalufan43
03-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Here's the problem with Brandon Jacobs (and what makes Jerome Bettis so special): Big running backs have zero longevity in the NFL. Jim Brown was considered huge, and he quit after 7-8 years. Earl Campbell was a monster in his day, and he could only hack 8 years. In all honesty, if you are talking big backs, Jerome is really the only other guy that comes to mind who could play every down over that kind of span, and he was still productive after 10 years.

Droughns is always thought of as a big back, but he weighs like 3 lbs more than Willie Parker. He'll be an excellent compliment to Jacobs and will keep Brandon from getting so many carries that he breaks down. Giants definitely got the best of this deal...

Well, the reason he was productive for so long was 50% Physical Strength 50% Mentality and personality. Jerome was a rare back in that his attitude probably helped him with a few more years than most would think. Eventually, his health caught up with him, but by that time he had a HOF worthy career.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Livinginthe past
03-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Well, the reason he was productive for so long was 50% Physical Strength 50% Mentality and personality. Jerome was a rare back in that his attitude probably helped him with a few more years than most would think. Eventually, his health caught up with him, but by that time he had a HOF worthy career.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

I couldn't swear to this, but didn't Bettis regularly run out of bounds at the end of his runs rather than take a huge hit for the sake of maybe 2 extra yards?

Im sure I read someone criticising him for it - the rebuttal was that Bettis was clever enough to know that you can't keep taking huge hits for a small dividend and expect to have a long career.

I think his shiftness helped him avoid the biggest of impacts, unless, of course, he was the one doing the hitting ....*Urlacher*

I think Bettis is a great example of a football player who maximised the potential of his abilities by using his intelligence.

NM

tony hipchest
03-11-2007, 05:09 PM
I couldn't swear to this, but didn't Bettis regularly run out of bounds at the end of his runs rather than take a huge hit for the sake of maybe 2 extra yards?

Im sure I read someone criticising him for it - the rebuttal was that Bettis was clever enough to know that you can't keep taking huge hits for a small dividend and expect to have a long career.

I think his shiftness helped him avoid the biggest of impacts, unless, of course, he was the one doing the hitting ....*Urlacher*

I think Bettis is a great example of a football player who maximised the potential of his abilities by using his intelligence.

NMi think youre thinking of franco harris.

Suitanim
03-11-2007, 05:28 PM
A perfect example of what happens when an opposing fan gets his information second-hand or off the web instead of actually witnessing the stuff first hand...really way off on this one, eh?

Bettis never stepped out of bounds...he, would, in point of fact, run people over, although usually after he was shifty and missed a tackle or two.

So what is my penalty? Infraction? Thread clossed?

tony hipchest
03-11-2007, 05:43 PM
A perfect example of what happens when an opposing fan gets his information second-hand or off the web instead of actually witnessing the stuff first hand...really way off on this one, eh?

Bettis never stepped out of bounds...he, would, in point of fact, run people over, although usually after he was shifty and missed a tackle or two.

So what is my penalty? Infraction? Thread clossed?
i dont know... bettis was prone to shy away from those huge hits from 200 lb safeties and cb's. :rolleyes:

remember that time deion sanders... oh wait..... nevermind.

(unfortunately youtube doesnt have the clip of jerome avoiding going out of bounds to completely own and flatten ray lewis a few years back)

Suitanim
03-11-2007, 05:56 PM
It's certainly not a perfect world, is it?

Just to reinforce the point (and make sure that no disinformation is spread via an ill-informed opposing fan who holds undue influence), Jerome Bettis played Bronco Nagurski football until the day he retired.

Livinginthe past
03-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Just had a flick through a youtube collection - the spin move seems like a real favorite for Jerome - of course those are only highlights.

I would have loved to have seen that Ray Lewis flattening - if ever a guy deserved it.

Bettis must have had an awesome body make-up to constantly go looking for contact and still last some 13 seasons relatively injury free.

Props to the big man.

NM

Suitanim
03-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Youtube and pats boards will certainly give one impression, albeit a biased one. In your case, that'll always be the exactly perfectly correct one, because as long as I've been here you've never been incorrect once.

But, for those of us living in reality, Bettis took great pride in running people over...but he enjoyed spinning and being nifty, too. The key was to hit people when they were tired and most vulnerable, and spin and be shifty when they were expecting the hit.

Fortunately for someone like me, I watch the game, often times in person, and understand it. Bettis was one of the rare ones...

So where's my infraction for disagreeing with a mod even though I'm right and the mod is wrong? Or is that a banning?

ChronoCross
03-11-2007, 06:45 PM
I doubt as long as we live for now that there will never be another bus. I loved the one when we started to make a push for the SB when The Bus made Urlacher look like a little boy and ran him right over like he was nothing.

Livinginthe past
03-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I doubt as long as we live for now that there will never be another bus. I loved the one when we started to make a push for the SB when The Bus made Urlacher look like a little boy and ran him right over like he was nothing.

Thats one clip I have managed to locate - I remember alot of people talking about it last year right after it happened.

Thats a great run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P68VsLCR8tg

NM

tony hipchest
03-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Bettis must have had an awesome body make-up to constantly go looking for contact and still last some 13 seasons relatively injury free.

NMfrom what ive read, he was pretty big AND powerful.

unfortunately he did have his share of injuries (many he just played through)

while b. jacobs is impressive, he doesnt come with the same pedigree and potential as jerome bettis. if he did the giants wouldnt even worry about a r. droughns type player.

Livinginthe past
03-11-2007, 06:59 PM
from what ive read, he was pretty big AND powerful.

unfortunately he did have his share of injuries (many he just played through)

while b. jacobs is impressive, he doesnt come with the same pedigree and potential as jerome bettis. if he did the giants wouldnt even worry about a r. droughns type player.

Yeah I think the hype surrounding Jacobs is a little over the top - he was able to run in situations that suited his large frame against defenses who were tired from chasing Tiki barber all round the field.

He could still be an every down back - Droughns is an affordable security blanket and I see him starting the year as No.1 but eventually being surpassed by Jacobs.

tony hipchest
03-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Yeah I think the hype surrounding Jacobs is a little over the top - he was able to run in situations that suited his large frame against defenses who were tired from chasing Tiki barber all round the field.

He could still be an every down back - Droughns is an affordable security blanket and I see him starting the year as No.1 but eventually being surpassed by Jacobs.
even big back ron dayne had a college pedigree that jerome could be jealous of. didnt quite translate to the pro game though.

funny thing about the term "thunder and lightning" it was always lightning and then thunder. it doesnt seem like jacobs is gonna get pigeon holed into a secondary role, but droughns has the potential to beat him out of the #1 spot.

this early, im gonna say we will finally see thunder 1st and lightning later (but, as tiki proved, lightning always comes before thunder)

ChronoCross
03-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Giants fans base that Jacobs can carry the load in the NFL as a starter for the Giants because he was able to in College. They do not get that College level and NFL level are two different areas and level of play.

They got Droughns and gave up a crappy WR to do so and Droughns is no Tikki but he can carry the load and if they use both big backs right they could have a decent run attack. NFC teams are not that great against the run. I know the Giants want a fast back but hey deal with what you get and it might not be a bad deal.

I think Droughns will be the lightning and Jacobs the thunder.

Ok who here has watched cars to much to bring up lightning and thunder.

tony hipchest
03-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Ok who here has watched cars to much to bring up lightning and thunder.

:thumbsup: "P'kow, P'chow!"