PDA

View Full Version : VIKES TANKING IT?

ChronoCross
03-10-2007, 11:31 PM
VIKES TANKING IT?
Tom Powers of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that there is growing suspicion in the Twin Cities that Vikings owner Zygi Wilf is purposely running the franchise into the ground (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/16864900.htm) in an effort to set the stage for a move to greener pastures.
Although we find it highly unlikely that any NFL team would try to lose in the short term in the hopes of killing local interest so that a move would be met with cheers instead of jeers, there's evidence that a relocation could be in the team's future.
Though Wilf expressed a strong desire to keep the team in Minnesota when he purchased the property from Red McCombs in 2005, Wilf's minions are now singing a slightly different tune.
The team's V.P. in charge of stadium development, Lester Bagley, recently had this to say about the sputtering efforts to build a new venue: "At some point [Governor Tim Pawlenty] is going to have to help us find a solution to this long-standing issue. He has long told our ownership that he wants to work with us to solve the Vikings' stadium problem, to keep us healthy and in this state."
If the team is never moving out of Minnesota on Wilf's watch, the phrase "in this state" has the same meaning in that passage as would the terms "in this country" or "on this planet." As we see it, then, those last three words were intended to put the people on notice, implicitly for now, that the Minnesota football team could soon join the former Minnesota basketball team in Southern California, if a new stadium isn't built.
But making the team into a stinker isn't the way to leverage a new deal. Especially since the fickle L.A. fan base wouldn't be too keen on a team that has zero prospects under Zygi of delivering victory on a consistent basis.

GBMelBlount
03-10-2007, 11:45 PM
So what is this article saying? Anything like the penguins? Do they want state funds or else?

SteelShooter
03-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Wasn't this the theme for the movie Major League ?

fansince'76
03-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Wasn't this the theme for the movie Major League ?

Beat me to it, Steel - yes it was. And I think the author of the article has watched it far too many times.

Preacher
03-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Yeah...

But who wants to see Wilf's naked body??

Big D
03-11-2007, 08:57 AM
growing up in the minnesota area I have watched the vikings my whole entire life. They typically have great talent but not the coaching to get them there. Also you see very devoted fans. I think it would be a disgrace if this article is true.

SteelCityMan786
03-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Yeah...

But who wants to see Wilf's naked body??

The Hookers on the sexcapade boat.:sofunny: :sofunny:

Jeremy
03-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Let me say this one last time, stop trying to put a team in LA! The few fans there who care about football are USC fans or Raider fans. The Vikes in LA doesn't make any sense especially since Big Market Goddell wants to spend $800 million on a stadium for them. The NFL's obsession with LA is not healthy.

NV STEELERS 723
03-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Let me say this one last time, stop trying to put a team in LA! The few fans there who care about football are USC fans or Raider fans. The Vikes in LA doesn't make any sense especially since Big Market Goddell wants to spend $800 million on a stadium for them. The NFL's obsession with LA is not healthy.

Very well said...Vikes won't leave MN no matter what.

Godfather
03-11-2007, 09:39 PM

Plus Southern Cal apparently pays its players, so you could say they already have pro football :sofunny:

ChronoCross
03-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Welp vikings are not moving anyways regardless of what the staff will do. They were one of the top 4 at first with a possible place in LA but then they got the deal for there new Stadium and now they will stay put. Its kinda funny the things that PFT come up with.