PDA

View Full Version : ~Secondary~ Will it come to life under Tomlin?

TheManOfSteel
03-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Any opinions on what we should expect from the secondary now that Tomlin is the coach? To me McFadden should be a full time starter. Also I think we shouldn't give up the big play as much. For the past several years we have had a problem's with the CB's. Is this the year all that starts to change now? Hopefully it tightens up. We all know Troy is going to be Troy but what can we expect from the SECONDARY as a whole? thanks

Jeremy
03-11-2007, 10:54 AM
I guess it's really the off season.

It's hard to tell. The big knock on Tomlin was that the Vike's secondary wasn't very good last season. So there are a lot of people waiting for our pass coverage to go to hell. I really don't know what's going to happen, I just hope Tomlin can get us off the field on third and long.

TheManOfSteel
03-11-2007, 10:58 AM

It's hard to tell. The big knock on Tomlin was that the Vike's secondary wasn't very good last season. So there are a lot of people waiting for our pass coverage to go to hell. I really don't know what's going to happen, I just hope Tomlin can get us off the field on third and long.

Yes i have seen that. Well I do believe we got a better secondary then the Vikings. It is part coach and part personnel. Lets just pray for the best.

polamalufan43
03-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Well, no matter how much we sucked last year, I can say that our secondary was at first glance better than the Viks. What will happen now, is up to Tomlin. Honestly, I don't think anyone can really say at this point. Sure, we can make as many predictions as Browns losses but in reality, I don't think anyone can truly predict what will happen. What we have trouble with, is that Tomlin was not head coach, so he might have good ideas, but they might have never been seen because their HC didn't like them.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

dunkuntou
03-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Yea he got knocked for bad pass defense in Minnesota but they have some pretty crappy players. Our secondary play revolves around Troy and he played hurt for a good part of the year....We go as he goes and in my opinion he is the heart and soul of our team

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Well, Its going to be like this.
RCB: McFadden
LCB: Taylor
FS: Smith
SS: Polamalu
Nickle and Dime we will see townsend and Coulcough, and possibly Madison takes coulchogh place

Our secondary's success depends on the pass rush from out LB's......whow will our 4th LB be? Or better yet.....will we have a 4-3 with a new DE pass rusher?

polamalufan43
03-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Our secondary's success depends on the pass rush from out LB's......whow will our 4th LB be? Or better yet.....will we have a 4-3 with a new DE pass rusher?

That could be interesting.

TheManOfSteel
03-11-2007, 04:44 PM

Now that looks good! I hate the waiting period. :banging:

SteelCzar76
03-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Any opinions on what we should expect from the secondary now that Tomlin is the coach? To me McFadden should be a full time starter. Also I think we shouldn't give up the big play as much. For the past several years we have had a problem's with the CB's. Is this the year all that starts to change now? Hopefully it tightens up. We all know Troy is going to be Troy but what can we expect from the SECONDARY as a whole? thanks

Well under Coach Tomlins guidance the Vikings Defense was rated 8th in total d. (Right ahead of us). And first against the run.
The stat that does give me pause though is the fact that they were ranked dead last in the league against the pass. And this is with a secondary that featured Smoot, Winfield and Sharper.
We on the other hand have,........Troy,....and,.....uhhh,....yea,..just pretty much Troy. LOL
Bottom line,.....if we don't address the secondary through the draft,....it could get 'interesting' to say the least.

polamalufan43
03-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Well under Coach Tomlins guidance the Vikings Defense was rated 8th in total d. (Right ahead of us). And first against the run.
The stat that does give me pause though is the fact that they were ranked dead last in the league against the pass. And this is with a secondary that featured Smoot, Winfield and Sharper.
We on the other hand have,........Troy,....and,.....uhhh,....yea,..just pretty much Troy. LOL
Bottom line,.....if we don't address the secondary through the draft,....it could get 'interesting' to say the least.

I have to agree. As much as I love Troy, I think we need to, let's say get the entire secondary involved, for lack of a better term. Plus, if he does stay here, there is no telling what injuries he may have. Like you said, things are bound to get interesting.

The Duke
03-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Troy and Smith are beasts. With Troy out of his injuries and Smith starting our secondary will be way better than last year, as long as Taylor plays to the level he is expected to be playing. And McFadden is just coming into his third year, i pray this will be his best. Using nickle and dime for townsend and colclough sound like a great idea, mix up the secondary and confuse the offense.

SteelCzar76
03-11-2007, 07:06 PM
The thing that i find most amusing is that every year. Many of the Steeler Nation say,..."This is the year that our sub standard and or average Db's are gonna finally (and quite miraculously) get it done" And every year,.....for lack of a more efficient and truthful description,......they still suck. LOL

GBMelBlount
03-11-2007, 07:12 PM

That was so frustrating! Was that bad coverage, poor qb pressure or too much time on the field? :tt02:

GBMelBlount
03-11-2007, 07:15 PM
The thing that i find most amusing is that every year. Many of the Steeler Nation say,..."This is the year that our sub standard and or average Db's are gonna finally (and quite miraculously) get it done" And every year,.....for lack of a more efficient and truthful description,......they still suck. LOL

I guess you're right. I am one of those idiots who feel for no exact reason I can state other than 1 more year experience, that the cornerbacks will be solid this year. Do you think if we had better qb pressure this year it will help or do you think last year was good and it's all on the CB's?:banging:

GBMelBlount
03-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Troy and Smith are beasts. With Troy out of his injuries and Smith starting our secondary will be way better than last year, as long as Taylor plays to the level he is expected to be playing. And McFadden is just coming into his third year, i pray this will be his best. Using nickle and dime for townsend and colclough sound like a great idea, mix up the secondary and confuse the offense.

I'm not sure I want to see Colclough at all.

TheManOfSteel
03-11-2007, 07:20 PM
From what I see, I think McFadden will be are best CB soon.

GBMelBlount
03-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Nickle and Dime we will see townsend and Coulcough, and possibly Madison takes coulchogh place

I think you nailed it BBFW both on personnel (colclough ugh!) and need to step up pass rush. In 4-3 are lineman more responsible for qb pressure?:tt02:

Northside Jonny
03-11-2007, 09:08 PM

I like Anthony Smith as well. But I think it would be an advantage to find a way to get Smith ,Polamalu ,and Clark on the field at the same time I Like how all these guys are able to deliver the big hit to a reciever coming over the middle, or anywere else for that matter. There all playmakers hopefully Tomlin will recognize this!!!! Or he may be doing this all season. :banging: :banging: :banging: We do still have Ryan Clark don't we? I think he had a very good season last year. Whats wrong with him everyone???

The Duke
03-11-2007, 09:18 PM
I like Anthony Smith as well. But I think it would be an advantage to find a way to get Smith ,Polamalu ,and Clark on the field at the same time I Like how all these guys are able to deliver the big hit to a reciever coming over the middle, or anywere else for that matter. There all playmakers hopefully Tomlin will recognize this!!!! Or he may be doing this all season. :banging: :banging: :banging: We do still have Ryan Clark don't we? I think he had a very good season last year. Whats wrong with him everyone???

I don't think there's anything wrong with Clark, but we have Smith and he is getting better than Clark. Maybe we'll keep him another year to teach Smith, butSmith has to be thestarter next season, he is just as dangerous Troy on the secondary.

Edman
03-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Pass Defense has always been an issue in the 3-4, especially if the front 7 gets no pressure. I don't care how many Rod Woodsons you put in the secondary, you give the QB time to throw he's going to tear you apart. Ever wondered why our Pass D wasn't so terrible in '04 and '05 (with nearly the SAME personnel I might add), but managed to suck in '06? The answer is obvious. LITTLE to NO PRESSURE from the Front 7.

Pass Rush is a bigger issue. Get a pass rush and just watch our secondary improve. Rushing the passer has just as much to do (Perhaps even more) with Pass Defense as the secondary.

TheManOfSteel
03-12-2007, 12:13 PM
I seen Cowher lacked his drive from game to game, play to play even. I did NOT want Cowher to go, but all change isn't bad. I am happy with the new coach. Yet ask me how happy I am after next season. :tt02:

ajs8207
03-12-2007, 12:32 PM
I think you nailed it BBFW both on personnel (colclough ugh!) and need to step up pass rush. In 4-3 are lineman more responsible for qb pressure?:tt02:

Yes, much more responsible.

polamalufan43
03-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Yes, much more responsible.

Yeah, our entire D is going to have to step it up this season.

GBMelBlount
03-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Pass Defense has always been an issue in the 3-4, especially if the front 7 gets no pressure. I don't care how many Rod Woodsons you put in the secondary, you give the QB time to throw he's going to tear you apart. Ever wondered why our Pass D wasn't so terrible in '04 and '05 (with nearly the SAME personnel I might add), but managed to suck in '06? The answer is obvious. LITTLE to NO PRESSURE from the Front 7.

Pass Rush is a bigger issue. Get a pass rush and just watch our secondary improve. Rushing the passer has just as much to do (Perhaps even more) with Pass Defense as the secondary.

May not be a s$imple answer to this, but will it be easier to upgrade pass rush or secondary through FA/draft?

ChronoCross
03-12-2007, 08:17 PM
People knock are own secondary like it's crap and have no thought of it even getting better. Steelers secondary in 2005 was pretty darn good. That same secondary went into a slump during the 2006 season, well heck with the do and this and that, it was a SB high end of story on that.

Ike returns to form and he is one of the best in the game. McFadden getting better with each start. The addition of A. Smith was a monster add and he is going to be awesome. One of the big keys that some never look at is the pass rush. The more time that the QB has time to throw the more likely that at least 1 to 2 WRs, TE, FB, will get open, The CBs, FS, S, LBers can only cover for so long, and frankly the pass rush was not great this last season making it look like we had holes in the secondary. With hopefully a stronger pass rush, and a QB not having the time they had to pass this last season the defense will look a lot better secondary wise. Pass rush helps the secondary out so much. No secondary, and I mean no secondary out there could cover as long as we had to cover this last season under little to no pass rush at times.

We already have a great run stopping defense. If we increase and get better at the pass rush it will be a great year for the defense. Then all we have to do is rely on Big Ben and the offense to take us home, which I think they will, Ben will be fine with a good bounce back.

Lets just hope the new coaches work great and put some fire back in the guys eyes.

NV STEELERS 723
03-12-2007, 08:40 PM
In all the responses here there hasn't been 1 mention of Coach LeBeau....He is the Def Cord last time I looked...I'm sure he has had lots of time this off season to figure out new schemes as well that will improve our pass D...

The STEELERS always have stopped the run.... they pride themselves on it....now its time to stop Both !

The Duke
03-12-2007, 08:55 PM
In all the responses here there hasn't been 1 mention of Coach LeBeau....He is the Def Cord last time I looked...I'm sure he has had lots of time this off season to figure out new schemes as well that will improve our pass D...

The STEELERS always have stopped the run.... they pride themselves on it....now its time to stop Both !

I'm sure Dick will find the problems with our secondary during the off season and improve it, that's what he does, his defense was the one that made the big defensive plays in 2004-05. From there it is up to the players to bring the secondary back to life :jammin:

Haiku_Dirtt
03-13-2007, 03:37 AM

History since Colbert took over is well cemented. Perhaps why the Rooney's played 'fast and loose' with The Chin is that Kevin Colbert may have been the backbone for the draft since taking over. His success in the fourth and fifth rounds his uncanny.

I'm thinking you're nailing the head but with a longer timetable. But with a new head coach everyone in the Steeler Org. just bought some time.

Except for Ike Taylor.

GBMelBlount
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
People knock are own secondary like it's crap and have no thought of it even getting better. Steelers secondary in 2005 was pretty darn good. That same secondary went into a slump during the 2006 season, well heck with the do and this and that, it was a SB high end of story on that.

Ike returns to form and he is one of the best in the game. McFadden getting better with each start. The addition of A. Smith was a monster add and he is going to be awesome. One of the big keys that some never look at is the pass rush. The more time that the QB has time to throw the more likely that at least 1 to 2 WRs, TE, FB, will get open, The CBs, FS, S, LBers can only cover for so long, and frankly the pass rush was not great this last season making it look like we had holes in the secondary. With hopefully a stronger pass rush, and a QB not having the time they had to pass this last season the defense will look a lot better secondary wise. Pass rush helps the secondary out so much. No secondary, and I mean no secondary out there could cover as long as we had to cover this last season under little to no pass rush at times.

We already have a great run stopping defense. If we increase and get better at the pass rush it will be a great year for the defense. Then all we have to do is rely on Big Ben and the offense to take us home, which I think they will, Ben will be fine with a good bounce back.

Lets just hope the new coaches work great and put some fire back in the guys eyes.

Agree, I have more faith in the potential of the secondary and hope we can increase pressure. Ben is a question mark. Let's hope he suffered short term. I am not so sure though. :tt02: