PDA

View Full Version : Patriots sign Stallworth $3.6million/1year

Livinginthe past
03-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Im guessing that the Patriots FA plunge has all but finished after this latest acquisition.

From what I can tell the contract is a 1 year deal worth $3.6million - after that there is an option to bring him back for the next - which is currently set at $11million - although I cannot foresee the patriots paying this type of money to retain his services.

Im pretty sure this is a year to audition his talents with a team that is likely to go deep in the playoffs and catching balls from an elite QB - after this coming season the contract will either be re-worked to something alot more manageable or he will be released to make his money elsewhere.

I think the numbers set out for Stallworth contract in years 2 onwards will never happen - its basically done to ensure Rosenhaus looks like the ultimate negotiator - a little like the false numbers in the $80million/8 years deal Nate Clements received.

The Patriots continued their offseason spending spree, adding wide receiver Donte' Stallworth to their 2007 haul, league sources told ESPN.com.

The deal -- negotiated by agent Drew Rosenhaus, who concluded a frenetic week in free agency by constructing a contract that met the needs of all parties -- can be as brief as one season or as lengthy as six. But for the Patriots to retain Stallworth beyond the 2007 season, a year in which he will make $3.6 million in bonuses and salary, New England will have to make a significant investment.

Stallworth will receive an initial signing bonus of $1 million, a roster bonus of $1.6 million and a $300,000 workout bonus, to go along with his 2007 base salary of $700,000. That totals $3.6 million for the coming season.

It's after the 2007 season, however, when the really big money kicks in.

For the Patriots to retain Stallworth for the 2008 season, they must pay him an option bonus of $6 million by Feb. 25, 2008. There is a subsequent roster bonus of $2 million due on March 1, a second roster bonus of $1.6 million based on playing time, a base salary of $1 million and a $400,000 workout bonus. That totals an exorbitant $11 million for 2008, or a two-year total of $14.6 million.

To keep Stallworth for 2009, the Patriots would have to pay another option bonus, this one of $2 million, by Feb. 25 of that year. In terms of bonuses and base salary, the 2009 season would be worth $5 million to Stallworth, for a three-year total of $19.6 million.

The final three seasons of the contract all include workout bonuses of $500,000 each and base salaries of $4 million each. The maximum value of the contract, if the Patriots were to keep Stallworth for all six years, is $33.1 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2794615

NM

SteelCityMan786
03-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Back to the bottom of the barrel PHILLY.

Jeremy
03-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Still no real #1 receiver in New England. Stallworth is nice and all, but no better than anything that's on the roster now. Thomas I understood. Everyone in the NFL would have liked to see their team sign him. But Stallworth, I just don't get it.

PatsRule
03-11-2007, 01:55 PM
POSTED 1:23 p.m. EDT, March 11, 2007

STALLWORTH SIGNED A "PROVE IT" DEAL

As we guessed several days ago, the contract that receiver Donte' Stallworth has inked with the New England Patriots is a one-year "prove it" deal. If he is effective, and if he doesn't get suspended for violation of the substance abuse policy, the team will likely pay him $8 million in 2008 bonus money. If he is not effective, or if he gets suspended, the team can walk away.

And if Stallworth is a training camp train wreck, the team is out only a $1 million signing bonus and $300,000 workout bonus.

So why didn't Stallworth just sign a one-year deal and head back to free agency in 2008? If he plays well enough for the Pats to happily hand him $8 million by early March, he'd likely get much more than that on the open market.

The glitch, as one league insider has explained it to us, is the franchise tag. Under a one-year deal, the Pats would still have the ability to restrict Stallworth's movement by extending an offer with a one-season salary equal to the average of the five highest-paid receivers in the game.

And with Stallworth set to earn $11 million in 2008 if the Patriots like what he does in 2007, they surely would have been willing to use the franchise tag -- which will be several million bucks less than his currently scheduled pay -- if Stallworth had played like a star under a one-year deal. (The structure of the contract prevents the Pats from passing on the option bonus but then tying Stallworth's hands -- and saving a lot of money -- with the franchise tag, since the option bonus is due after the last day for using the franchise or transition tags.)

So why not ask the team to agree not to use the franchise tag? As the source explained, it's hard to get a one-year deal worth much more than the veteran minimum if the team then has no way to extend the player's tenure with the team.

Nice out for the pat's....Clearly NE is going for it all next year and with all the moves they just might make it :cheers:

Jeremy
03-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Doesn't everyone go for it every year? That's pretty much the nature of the NFL these days. You get these 2-3 year windows where you can win and then 2-3 year windows where you reload.

PatsRule
03-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Doesn't everyone go for it every year? That's pretty much the nature of the NFL these days. You get these 2-3 year windows where you can win and then 2-3 year windows where you reload.

Since 2001 the PAts have been there all but 1 year and with these moves will be there for the next 2 or 3. Then comes the draft with 2 #1 picks now they can draft for the future to ensure being competitive for quite some time..I think NE front officew is nothing short of amazing and the Stallworth deal proves it.

Jeremy
03-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Ok, if you say so.

I think Stallworth took a pretty safe gamble by signing this deal. He's going to get paid and have a chance at going deep into the post season. But it's not like the Pats snared a true #1 receiver in this deal. Stallworth is nice wide receiver, but he's probably be suited to be a slot guy.

As far as the Pat's FO goes, this kind of thing has been done before. They're not doing anything new or unique. A lot of teams have been working this way for a long time. But the Pats are a media darling, so everything they do is treated as though it's never been done before.

PatsRule
03-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Ok, if you say so.

I think Stallworth took a pretty safe gamble by signing this deal. He's going to get paid and have a chance at going deep into the post season. But it's not like the Pats snared a true #1 receiver in this deal. Stallworth is nice wide receiver, but he's probably be suited to be a slot guy.

As far as the Pat's FO goes, this kind of thing has been done before. They're not doing anything new or unique. A lot of teams have been working this way for a long time. But the Pats are a media darling, so everything they do is treated as though it's never been done before.

In 6 years they have won 3 Superbowls and went deep in post season 2 other years
Your right other teams have done the same thing, they just have not been as successful at it.

Jeremy
03-11-2007, 02:32 PM
In 6 years they have won 3 Superbowls and went deep in post season 2 other years
Your right other teams have done the same thing, they just have not been as successful at it.

You've had a great run, I don't think anyone is disputing that. But there have been other factors which have helped you out. It's not like you've done this in a vacuum. But congrats on the signing. I would have liked to have seen Stallworth come here and play slot for us, but that didn't happen.

PatsRule
03-11-2007, 02:40 PM
The AFC is going to be a tough conference once again,alot of teams got better like the Jets and the Broncos.If Big Ben is healthy the Steelers will contend for the Division.The Ravens lost too much talent and The Bengels will have to schedual games to co inside with their work release programs...LMAO

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2007, 03:01 PM
One of these days the Evil Empire (The Pats) will crumble. I don't think next year since they did reload again but the day will come again when the Pats stink.lol

They made great moves by signing Thomas and Stallworth no doubt. Plus those two first round picks gives them the chance to put more young talent into their roster. But the signing of both Thomas and Stallworth do have questions about them.

Hey Stallworth has battled hamstring injuries his whole career. He is a good WR when healthy but his health is always in question.

Then there is the 29 year old Thomas and he is a very good LB. You just better hope his production meets the money he is making in his early 30's. Not saying he will suck when he is 30 but when football players hit their 30's the bottom can drop out on them at anytime.

PatsRule
03-11-2007, 03:25 PM
One of these days the Evil Empire (The Pats) will crumble. I don't think next year since they did reload again but the day will come again when the Pats stink.lol

They made great moves by signing Thomas and Stallworth no doubt. Plus those two first round picks gives them the chance to put more young talent into their roster. But the signing of both Thomas and Stallworth do have questions about them.

Hey Stallworth has battled hamstring injuries his whole career. He is a good WR when healthy but his health is always in question.

Then there is the 29 year old Thomas and he is a very good LB. You just better hope his production meets the money he is making in his early 30's. Not saying he will suck when he is 30 but when football players hit their 30's the bottom can drop out on them at anytime.

Why do other teams fans hate the Pats so much ? is it because they win ?

Livinginthe past
03-11-2007, 03:39 PM

Thats the type of question that can lead to wide and varied answers.

You shouldn't really have to ask why Steeler fans might have an issue or two with the Patriots.

NM

X-Terminator
03-11-2007, 03:41 PM

Nope. I personally couldn't care less if they're winning, nor do the two home AFCC losses to them bother me. For me, it's because of their many, many, MANY obnoxious and ignorant bandwagon fans. Otherwise, I could root for the Pats, as they are obviously a very well-run and respected organization.

PatsRule
03-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Nope. I personally couldn't care less if they're winning, nor do the two home AFCC losses to them bother me. For me, it's because of their many, many, MANY obnoxious and ignorant bandwagon fans. Otherwise, I could root for the Pats, as they are obviously a very well-run and respected organization.

I can understand that, but all teams have bandwagon fans.chargers fans are so obnoxious but the Chargers are a great team.I don't dislike the Chargers because of their fans.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Ok let me break it down for you the Steelers play in the AFC just like the Pats. You might not know that since you asked such a silly question.lol I hate every other team in the AFC since I'm a Steelers fan. They all stand in the way in the Steelers reaching the Super Bowl.lol

I give the Pats their credit all the time and probably to much credit at times. But that doesn't mean I have to like them. I think they have been more lucky then good but hey they won three Super Bowls so I respect what they accomplished.

tony hipchest
03-11-2007, 04:16 PM
because theyre like the paris hilton of the nfl. do people hate her cause shes rich and pretty?

no, shes hated cause she comes off as a bitch with the class of a $10 tramp.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2007, 04:32 PM
What makes the Stallworth signing strange to is... The Pats wouldn't give Branch the money but they will give 12 million guaranteed to Stallworth. Hey I understand Branch isn't as good in Seattle as he was in New England. But has Stallworth proven to be better then Branch so far? I don't know about that. Hey I'm sure Mr. Hamstring Stallworth will have another hamstring issue. He does every year.lol The dude is weak and it will be no different in a Pats uniform. The Pats should have been just as happy with the Thomas and Welker deals but nope they have to act like the Yankees of the NFL this year. I hope they suffer the same fate as the Yankees. The Yankees continue to win divisions and make the play-offs but its been since 2000 that they won it all. The same will happen to the Pats.lol

PatsRule
03-11-2007, 04:40 PM
What makes the Stallworth signing strange to is... The Pats wouldn't give Branch the money but they will give 12 million guaranteed to Stallworth. Hey I understand Branch isn't as good in Seattle as he was in New England. But has Stallworth proven to be better then Branch so far? I don't know about that. Hey I'm sure Mr. Hamstring Stallworth will have another hamstring issue. He does every year.lol The dude is weak and it will be no different in a Pats uniform. The Pats should have been just as happy with the Thomas and Welker deals but nope they have to act like the Yankees of the NFL this year. I hope they suffer the same fate as the Yankees. The Yankees continue to win divisions and make the play-offs but its been since 2000 that they won it all. The same will happen to the Pats.lol

Buth they didn't give Stallworth 12 million he is going to get 3.6 Million and the Pats have an out after the first year..

It's a great deal I think Stallworth has the potential to be even better than Branch or he could bust,but the potential is there.The numbers are almost the same yardage but Stallworth has more touchdowns,so they replaced one with the other and got a 1st round pick ta boot..

Here are the terms what is reported so far

STALLWORTH SIGNED A "PROVE IT" DEAL

As we guessed several days ago, the contract that receiver Donte' Stallworth has inked with the New England Patriots is a one-year "prove it" deal. If he is effective, and if he doesn't get suspended for violation of the substance abuse policy, the team will likely pay him $8 million in 2008 bonus money. If he is not effective, or if he gets suspended, the team can walk away.

And if Stallworth is a training camp train wreck, the team is out only a $1 million signing bonus and $300,000 workout bonus.

So why didn't Stallworth just sign a one-year deal and head back to free agency in 2008? If he plays well enough for the Pats to happily hand him $8 million by early March, he'd likely get much more than that on the open market.

The glitch, as one league insider has explained it to us, is the franchise tag. Under a one-year deal, the Pats would still have the ability to restrict Stallworth's movement by extending an offer with a one-season salary equal to the average of the five highest-paid receivers in the game.

And with Stallworth set to earn $11 million in 2008 if the Patriots like what he does in 2007, they surely would have been willing to use the franchise tag -- which will be several million bucks less than his currently scheduled pay -- if Stallworth had played like a star under a one-year deal. (The structure of the contract prevents the Pats from passing on the option bonus but then tying Stallworth's hands -- and saving a lot of money -- with the franchise tag, since the option bonus is due after the last day for using the franchise or transition tags.)

So why not ask the team to agree not to use the franchise tag? As the source explained, it's hard to get a one-year deal worth much more than the veteran minimum if the team then has no way to extend the player's tenure with the team.

Smart move by the Pat's

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I really don't care the money they gave Stallworth I always thought the guy was soft and over-rated anyway. I didn't read all the details like you pointed out. Just get ready for Mr. Hamstring to have some hamstring issues.

tony hipchest
03-11-2007, 04:43 PM
What makes the Stallworth signing strange to is... The Pats wouldn't give Branch the money but they will give 12 million guaranteed to Stallworth. Hey I understand Branch isn't as good in Seattle as he was in New England. But has Stallworth proven to be better then Branch so far? I don't know about that. Hey I'm sure Mr. Hamstring Stallworth will have another hamstring issue. He does every year.lol The dude is weak and it will be no different in a Pats uniform. The Pats should have been just as happy with the Thomas and Welker deals but nope they have to act like the Yankees of the NFL this year. I hope they suffer the same fate as the Yankees. The Yankees continue to win divisions and make the play-offs but its been since 2000 that they won it all. The same will happen to the Pats.loli posted their year by year stats before the season and stallworth is clearly better than branch (edging him in almost EVERY statistical category.)

i did this to prove that the seahawks got robbed giving up all that cash and a 1st rounder for branch when they couldve easilly had stallworth for a 3rd. im sure the seahawsk are still kicking themselves for this move.

branch is just as injury prone as stallworth too.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2007, 04:46 PM
i posted their year by year stats before the season and stallworth is clearly better than branch (edging him in almost EVERY statistical category.)

i did this to prove that the seahawks got robbed giving up all that cash and a 1st rounder for branch when they couldve easilly had stallworth for a 3rd. im sure the seahawsk are still kicking themselves for this move.

branch is just as injury prone as stallworth too.

Branch has more catches. Stallworth has alittle more yards then Branch. Stallworth has 10 more TD's. They're both soft and over-rated in my mind. But one has done something in big games and helped that team win championships were the other hasn't. Thats all I'm saying Tony.

Suitanim
03-11-2007, 04:47 PM
This was a good signing for the Pats...they had a pretty good FA.

As for the team, I judge my hatred of a team first on the thuggery of the players, but a close second (and almost always closely related) is the punk-assed nature of the fans. The Pats are a bit of an enigma, as the organization does much right and seems pretty classy. However, they have some really overbearing and arrogant fans, and they have a real chip on their collective shoulder even when they win. I have a feeling it's a bit of a "Boston thing", and all the bandwagon fans just emulate the bad behavior in a sort of monkey-see, monkey-do thing so they can fit in.

It's the old beat a dead horse routine. When the Steelers lose to a team, Hell, even the Browns, the fans talk some smack, then you settle back into the old routine after awhile. Not so w/ pats fans. They exercise massive overkill with the whole poor-winner thing. Hell, there's a prevailing "Neener-Neener" element to the Pats fans on this very board over wins from seasons ago.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but other then TD's Stallworth isn't that far above Branch in stats.

Branch 266 catches for 3469 yards and 18 TD's

Stallworth 233 catches for 3516 yards and 28 TD's.

Yea Stallworth is so much better.lol They're both soft and are over-rated. Only difference Branch helped the Pats win Super Bowls where Stallworth hasn't. Just saying they should have rewarded their own instead of signing Stallworth a year later. But hey they got a first round pick in return for Branch. Great move on their part.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Plus my whole point is I'm not ready just to give the Super Bowl to the Pats since they signed A. Thomas, Donte Stallworth and Wes Welker.lol

tony hipchest
03-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but other then TD's Stallworth isn't that far above Branch in stats.

Branch 266 catches for 3469 yards and 18 TD's

Stallworth 233 catches for 3516 yards and 28 TD's.

Yea Stallworth is so much better.lol They're both soft and are over-rated. Only difference Branch helped the Pats win Super Bowls where Stallworth hasn't. Just saying they should have rewarded their own instead of signing Stallworth a year later. But hey they got a first round pick in return for Branch. Great move on their part.like i said stallworth has the edge. especially when he's started 11 less games. the td's speak for themselves. he had his production with the likes of aaron brooks on a horrible team. branch had brady.

branch cost a 1st rounder and about 6-7 mil?

stallworth cost a 3rd from the saints and is now playing on a 1 year 3.6 mil contract.

stallworth is BY FAAAAAAAR the better deal.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2007, 05:04 PM
like i said stallworth has the edge. especially when hes been in the league 1 less season than branch. the td's speak for themselves. he had his production with the likes of aaron brooks on a horrible team. branch had brady.

branch cost a 1st rounder and about 6-7 mil?

stallworth cost a 3rd from the saints and is now playing on a 1 year 3.6 mil contract.

stallworth is BY FAAAAAAAR the better deal.

Check yourself Tony both players came in the league in 2002.:toofunny: Stallworth also had Joe Horn getting most of the attention on the other side were Branch had Givens.lol

I said the Pats made a great move by getting a first rounder by trading Branch. I just don't see this as a great signing by the Pats. Maybe you do?lol

I bet right now Branch has a better season since Mr. Hamstring will break down like he always does. I know Branch has health issues as well but every year Stallworth is hurt.

NV STEELERS 723
03-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Thats the type of question that can lead to wide and varied answers.

You shouldn't really have to ask why Steeler fans might have an issue or two with the Patriots.

NM

I'm glad you said that....

tony hipchest
03-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Check yourself Tony both players came in the league in 2002.:toofunny: Stallworth also had Joe Horn getting most of the attention on the other side were Branch had Givens.lol

I said the Pats made a great move by getting a first rounder by trading Branch. I just don't see this as a great signing by the Pats. Maybe you do?lol

I bet right now Branch has a better season since Mr. Hamstring will break down like he always does. I know Branch has health issues as well but every year Stallworth is hurt.i was remembering branch starting about a full season more than branch.

but im glad me making a mistake provides you with so much excitement! :toofunny: (just dont wear it in your sig like litp did, like you got a purple heart on or something)

the facts are out there. basically the same player (except stallworth is a legitimate deep threat and can find the endzone).

one just costs about half as much as the other. in this day of salary cap i dont see why the pats shouldve rewarded branch for his mediocre past when a much better deal could be found.

branch thought he deserved hines ward money. stallworth is willing to play a year below market value to prove his pot smoking wont affect his play or professionalism.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2007, 05:28 PM
i was remembering branch starting about a full season more than branch.

but im glad me making a mistake provides you with so much excitement! :toofunny: (just dont wear it in your sig like litp did, like you got a purple heart on or something)

the facts are out there. basically the same player (except stallworth is a legitimate deep threat and can find the endzone).

one just costs about half as much as the other. in this day of salary cap i dont see why the pats shouldve rewarded branch for his mediocre past when a much better deal could be found.

branch thought he deserved hines ward money. stallworth is willing to play a year below market value to prove his pot smoking wont affect his play or professionalism.

I'm really not that excited over your mistake. It happens and just joking around. I won't put in my sig but good one.:thumbsup: Funny to mention LITP when he has nothing to do with the conversation?

I understand what you're saying and yes not over paying Branch was the right move from the business part of the NFL. But by letting go of some of their players that helped them win Super Bowls probably cost them more titles. But free agency 2007 Kraft starts spending the coin on players that didn't help win the Pats jack?

Yes these moves can work out for the Pats but I think Daniel Synder has proven you can't buy Super Bowl titles by over paying for other teams players.

ChronoCross
03-11-2007, 05:29 PM
OK lets break it down in all the numbers of a WR that is not worth the money and most likely will not get every last cent of it. And no he is no better then branch and branch is no better the stallworth, they both have had injury issues, both have never had a 1000 yard wr year.

Think everyone has year 1 down pat on this post so lets go further then that if he makes it.

Stallworth also can earn up to $400,000 in incentives. He'll get $100,000 if he catches 70 passes, another $100,000 if he catches 75 passes, another $100,000 if he catches 80 passes, and $100,000 if he is on the Pro Bowl team.
A $6 million option bonus is due shortly before the start of the 2008 league year, but after the deadline for designating franchise players. This requires the team to either pick up the option, or to allow Stallworth to hit the market unfettered by the franchise tag.
In 2008, there's also a $2 million roster bonus due on the first day of the league year, a $400,000 workout bonus, a $1 million base salary, and a $1.6 million roster bonus payable if he makes the season-opening 53-man roster.
In 2009, there's a $2 million option bonus, payable after the franchise tag deadline but before the start of the league year. If the option is exercised, the deal runs through 2012.
Also in 2009, Stallworth will receive a $400,000 workout bonus, a $1 million base salary, and a $1.6 million roster bonus based on making the season-opening 53-man roster.
In 2010 through 2012, the deal has the same terms in each year: $500,000 workout bonus and $4 million salary.
In all, it's a one-year $3.6 million deal that can be worth up to $4 million, or a two-year, $14.6 million deal that can be worth as much as $15 million, or a three-year, $19.6 million deal that can be worth as much as $20 million.
The Pats can then add on additional years at $4.5 million each, with a maximum contract value of $33.5 million.
But the only truly guaranteed money is $1 million. Not $12 million.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Ok I was having a conversation with somebody else on another site about the Stallworth signing and they mentioned the 12 million guaranteed. Thats why I said that. As Pats rule and youself have shown its not 12 million guaranteeed.

Livinginthe past
03-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I view this as a low risk /potential high dividend deal - the Patriots were desperate for receivers who can get open on the intermediate/short routes or stretch the field.

The Patriots had intermittent problems last year running the ball, and alot of that was due to teams flooding the LOS and the short routes.

The receivers struggled to get open, even after 5 seconds had passed, which led to Brady taking way too many hits as he released and /or throwing the ball out of bounds.

As I see it, we have the slot receiver (Welker) for the clutch Troy Brown short yardage stuff and now we have the burner (Stallworth) who can stretch the field and torch the safety if he cheats up to the line.

We have tried to upgrade the WR corps for a number of years - big guys like Donald Hayes and sped guys like Bethel Johnson - neither panned out but the intention was always there.

I really think this will be a defensively focussed draft for the Patriots, but if a quality WR dropped to them they may well still make a play (if Stallworth is not likely to return) - it just gives us more latitude with the two 1st rounders.

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2007, 05:39 PM
I view this as a low risk /potential high dividend deal - the Patriots were desperate for receivers who can get open on the intermediate/short routes or stretch the field.

The Patriots had intermittent problems last year running the ball, and alot of that was due to teams flooding the LOS and the short routes.

The receivers struggled to get open, even after 5 seconds had passed, which led to Brady taking way too many hits as he released and /or throwing the ball out of bounds.

As I see it, we have the slot receiver (Welker) for the clutch Troy Brown short yardage stuff and now we have the burner (Stallworth) who can stretch the field and torch the safety if he cheats up to the line.

We have tried to upgrade the WR corps for a number of years - big guys like Donald Hayes and sped guys like Bethel Johnson - neither panned out but the intention was always there.

I really think this will be a defensively focussed draft for the Patriots, but if a quality WR dropped to them they may well still make a play (if Stallworth is not likely to return) - it just gives us more latitude with the two 1st rounders.

NM

I like the Welker signing. I think he got to much money but he is a solid WR and great return guy. Very good signing.

If the Pats really wanted to upgrade their WR core then trade up for Calvin Johnson. Yes he could be a bust. But the upside is so high with him. That would be the better move then signing Mr. Hamstring.

Livinginthe past
03-11-2007, 05:49 PM
I like the Welker signing. I think he got to much money but he is a solid WR and great return guy. Very good signing.

If the Pats really wanted to upgrade their WR core then trade up for Calvin Johnson. Yes he could be a bust. But the upside is so high with him. That would be the better move then signing Mr. Hamstring.

Welker was the top receiver (in terms of catches) in a woeful Miami offense last year - think of the guys throwing to him - Culpepper and Harrington...and he still bagged 67 catches.

The feeling is that he is about to break through in a big way - his learning curve has been pretty steep - from a low round PR prospect to No.1 receiver on the team is a pretty large jump.

Calvin Johnson is this years Reggie Bush, as close to 'can't miss' as you get in the draft but there is no real way for the Patriots to get into the top5 (I don't see Tampa passing on him).

The draft value for the No.3 slot is 2,200 points - the combined value of the Patriots two 1st rounders is only 1380 points - unless you are figuring to throw some players into the deal I don't see how you can get it done.

I think CJ will do some great things this year - as long as his team has a reasonable offensive line.

NM