PDA

View Full Version : ANY SUGGESTIONS ???

Northside Jonny
03-11-2007, 10:27 PM
We have Willie and Najeh , What kind of additions to the backfield should we make I would really like to see us get Micheal Bush and give him a shot for a spot any suggestions ? Willie is our guy but what happens if he has to miss considerable time? :jawdrop: :dang:

tony hipchest
03-11-2007, 10:35 PM
the steelers have usually gone with 4 backs and a fb under cowher. i would think tomlin would do the same.

haynes and duce were let go, so i would think we get atleast one in the draft and possibly keep kuhn on the roster until haynes is able to return.

assuming no trades to move up or down, i'll say this back we get will come in the 3rd or 4th round.

The Duke
03-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Nate Ilaoa! Love that guy, hope he gets to 3rd or 4th.

SteelerFanInTX210
03-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I like Mike Bush or Chris Henry or that Cat out of Hawaii

GBMelBlount
03-11-2007, 11:49 PM
the steelers have usually gone with 4 backs and a fb under cowher. i would think tomlin would do the same.

haynes and duce were let go, so i would think we get atleast one in the draft and possibly keep kuhn on the roster until haynes is able to return.

assuming no trades to move up or down, i'll say this back we get will come in the 3rd or 4th round.

If not later. Don't we have more pressing needs at LB, O-line (2?), DE and maybe cornerback? So we need more than FWP, Dump Davenport & probably Verron back healthy later? :tt02:

The Duke
03-11-2007, 11:56 PM
If not later. Don't we have more pressing needs at LB, O-line (2?), DE and maybe cornerback? So we need more than FWP, Dump Davenport & probably Verron back healthy later? :tt02:

Davenport just got resigned, i doubt he'll be dumped,let him prove himself as a backup to Willie. But it will be nice to have Haynes back.:smile:

Elvis
03-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Are there news that the Steelers might resign Haynes? I hope so because he means more to our team than Najeh does in my opinion. I hope that we can resign him and maybe draft a RB in the middle of the upcoming draft..
God Bless
Elvis

SteelCzar76
03-12-2007, 09:01 AM

If we could pick up Bush in the 3rd,.....i think it would probably be one of the biggest 'steals' of the draft. However,....he may not last past the 2nd rnd. (Of course this depends on how he performs at his Pro Day workout)

Counselor
03-12-2007, 10:11 AM
There are some questions about Michael Bush's upright running style making him prone to injuries---same things they say about Najeah.

Are there any other "pounder" type big-backs in the draft? Thats what we need.

ARKIESTEEL
03-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Give Dan the ball!!!!!!!:banging:

Stater136
03-12-2007, 10:20 AM
There's always Tony Hunt out of Penn State. He should be there into the 3rd round.

83-Steelers-43
03-12-2007, 10:50 AM
The backfield is the least of my concerns when dealing with this team. I'm comfortable with Willie and Poo getting the job done. Hopefully the o-line actually shows up and helps them out. I wish a third string back was our main and only concern.

83-Steelers-43
03-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Anybody, pick anybody...lol.

19ward86
03-12-2007, 01:38 PM
deshawn wynn, chris henry, or tony hunt

tony hipchest
03-12-2007, 01:56 PM
If we could pick up Bush in the 3rd,.....i think it would probably be one of the biggest 'steals' of the draft. However,....he may not last past the 2nd rnd. (Of course this depends on how he performs at his Pro Day workout) something like that may not be out of the question:

http://nfl.com/news/story/10050457

The unexpected action at the running-back position is clearly changing the top of the draft boards. Now that Cleveland has secured Jamal Lewis, Houston acquired Ahman Green, Oakland added Dominic Rhodes, and the Jets, Lions and Ravens traded for running backs, the draft has been altered.

Not too many people ever considered the idea of the Raiders or Lions picking a back with the top two picks in the draft, but any consideration of them taking a runner at the top of Round 2 is now gone. That means now there is some downward pressure on the RB position, and there will be good backs sliding all the way into Round 3.

Cleveland can now skip the popular notion that Adrian Peterson was its pick at the No. 3 spot. Some teams right below them that were hoping the Browns would take Peterson and let a quality player like OT Joe Thomas or DE Gaines Adams fall to them. But now they have to seriously consider calling the Browns and offer something to move up, or they'll miss on their targeted player.

Peterson's stock hasn't dropped one bit, but the "need" for a back has changed. The Browns now will now have Jamal Lewis and probably Joe Thomas, or they could move down a few spots, pick up a terrific prospect like Brady Quinn, Alan Branch or Levi Brown, and come back with an extra second-round pick and take a cornerback like Aaron Ross.

Let's go down the Round 1 order: Tampa Bay, Arizona, Washington, Minnesota, Houston and Miami are set at running back. That means Atlanta (No. 10) could start seriously looking at Peterson, even though it has Jerious Norwood and Warrick Dunn who both can still play effectively. San Francisco (No. 11) is set with Frank Gore, but Buffalo (No. 12) now has to be getting excited because Peterson could slide to it. If the Bills sign a veteran, then the Packers (No. 16) might have the big Oklahoma running back at their doorstep. Stranger things have happened in the NFL.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-12-2007, 02:33 PM
If we could get Tony Hunt in a value round I say grab him...but I have been reading alot on Nate Ilaoa from Hawaii....5'8 245....averaged 7.6 yards a carry over the last two years....(wont break around the corner..but impossible to take down in short yardage)....should be available as a 7th round steal due to lack of versatility and level of competition

verks36
03-12-2007, 02:54 PM
ya that hawain guy is like a bowling ball. he would be a perfect fit to complement willie.
PLEASE STEELERS FRONT OFFICE GRAB HIM

ARKIESTEEL
03-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Poor Dan nobody wants him to get a carry now and then. You know he is a + yard machine.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I want to see chris Henry in black and gold...

The Duke
03-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Give Dan the ball!!!!!!!:banging:

I agree, this past season he only had one carry i think, before we used him more and he wasn't bad. Maybe Tomlin can decide to use him on short yardage situations, like instead of using parker or davenport, surprise the defense giving the ball to our fullback:thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Chris Henry scares me a bit...he spent his first two seasons at Arizona as the backup to Mike Bell then split time as a junior..... He wasn’t used much as a receiver and only has approximately 260 career carries, which means he doesn’t have a lot of starting experience and hasnt proven that he can carry the load over a season.....Draft reports say thaqt he runs with an upright running style which could make him susceptible to injury. ...and that he lacks great vision.... though he proved in the combine that he has great straight line speed, he isn’t a very elusive runner in the open field. ....

Deshawn Wynn has almost the same criticisms....a good combination of size and strength for a running back. ...with just average hands and wasn’t used much as a receiver at Florida.... He lacks great speed ....He is slow to hit the hole and needs to work on finishing his runs. ....With just one season as a full-time starter....he hasn’t proven he can carry the load by himself over the course of an entire season. He does have a good deal of potential and could move up draft boards if he impresses during predraft workouts.

If we TRULY want a situational back...we can use a high draft pick on Bush..and forget about the almost-Bush clones...or if its NOT a high priority..then pick up the fireplug RB from Hawaii with a late pick and better value. Playing around in the 3rd or 4th rounds for a big back seems a little wishy-washy as to wether or not we need a big back other than Davenport.

Sharkissle29
03-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Nate Ilaoa! Love that guy, hope he gets to 3rd or 4th.

is that the big back for hawaii??

The Duke
03-12-2007, 05:03 PM

Yeah

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-12-2007, 05:21 PM

Nate Ilaoa from Hawaii....5'8 245....averaged 7.6 yards a carry over the last two years. I hope he flies under the radar and we can get him late.

Jeremy
03-12-2007, 05:21 PM
He wasn?t used much as a receiver and only has approximately 260 career carries, which means he doesn?t have a lot of starting experience and hasnt proven that he can carry the load over a season

The flip side of that argument is that he doesn't have many miles on his tires.

verks36
03-12-2007, 05:22 PM
we dont give old krieder the ball because we need him to clear the path for willie. And i think he rather blows LBs out of the water than run the ball

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-12-2007, 05:23 PM
He wasn’t used much as a receiver and only has approximately 260 career carries, which means he doesn’t have a lot of starting experience and hasnt proven that he can carry the load over a season

The flip side of that argument is that he doesn't have many miles on his tires.

LOL...good point...but I could be an RB with that arguement...:wink02:

...actually thats not true....my tread is falling off the tires.

GBMelBlount
03-12-2007, 07:54 PM
The backfield is the least of my concerns when dealing with this team. I'm comfortable with Willie and Poo getting the job done. Hopefully the o-line actually shows up and helps them out. I wish a third string back was our main and only concern.

Agreed, maybe if we find a steal in the later rounds but what are the chances of that?:hunch: :hunch:

Livinginthe past
03-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Agreed, maybe if we find a steal in the later rounds but what are the chances of that?:hunch: :hunch:

Better than average I would say.

The steelers are one of the better drafting/scouting teams in the NFL - if there is a late round bargain RB to be had the Steelers will probably have him on their radar.

He may not turn out as good as John Kuhn, but he could be a Willie Parker (UDFA!) :wink02:

The Duke
03-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Better than average I would say.

The steelers are one of the better drafting/scouting teams in the NFL - if there is a late round bargain RB to be had the Steelers will probably have him on their radar.

He may not turn out as good as John Kuhn, but he could be a Willie Parker (UDFA!) :wink02:

I have my fingers crossed for Ilaoa to be that late round pick, but Steelers scouts do have the eye for this, they will make a great decision wether or not we draft a rb.

DJfan
03-13-2007, 01:28 AM
What happened to Kuhn?

OneForTheToe
03-13-2007, 02:59 AM
What happened to Kuhn?

Since his greatness had been so long predicted, the NFL decided to skip the formalities and just put Kuhn in the Hall of Fame.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-13-2007, 04:08 AM

And how unsettling is the "least" of our concerns? Glad to hear a drift out of denial. I wouldn't say the sky is falling but my neck would disagree...at least for the next 2 seasons.

If Colbert and (now) Coach T fail to provide some alternatives on the right side then whatever other roster moves are made better pave a way for the future.

GLOOM and DOOM!

NOW. What if. What if Ben recovers? Will the line play better?

GBMelBlount
03-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Davenport just got resigned, i doubt he'll be dumped,let him prove himself as a backup to Willie. But it will be nice to have Haynes back.:smile:

I meant "Dump Davenport" as his handle, not what to do with him.

yinzer-inseattle
03-16-2007, 11:49 AM
How nice would it be to have Mr Hoak back as a consultant just for this draft? I agree that there will be RB talent late in this draft. With 45 year of experience and tremendous success as a coach/ scout, I'm sure DH could quickly cut through the crap and unearth a few gems.

coachspeak33
03-16-2007, 01:20 PM
we need to add a back to this offense...so i love the thread

I really want to see the steelers make a commitment to adding weapons on offense during this years draft...i have come to grips with the fact that their #1 pick will most likely be a LB/DE...and thats fine... i think when you look at our current depth chart (starters & immediate backups) it is obvious that at least 4-5 of our picks will be on the D side of the ball

we are obviously good at TE...although under the previous regime, Miller and any other TE we had was treated like the invisible man on somedays .....and like Max Starks bodyguard others

QB...we're good

WR...made an effort last yrs draft...and history shows that WR is one of the hardest positions for rookies and second year men to make an immediate impact...

But RB is a position where you can find a guy in rd. 2or 3 that can immediately serve as a legitimate threat for the offense...

but in the last 4 yrs...our additions to the offensive side of the ball hasnt been real impressive

Santonio Holmes- loved the move to trade up for him...called for it leading up to last years draft...didnt make alot of friends on this site during that time period...not alot of holmes fans then i guess
Heath Miller- i love this guy...unfortunately in western pa...with sherrif chinny-chin running the show, TE stands for tackle eligible
Willie Reid- drafted by cowher to aid ST's & learn WR position...only to rot on the bench while colclough and holmes returned punts at the level of a high schooler..then got injured...hasnt been heard from since

Charles Davis, Fred Gibson, Cedric Humes, Noah Herron, Omar Jacobs, among others- all were not wearing steeler uniforms (and some no uni's at all) by week 5 of rookie seasons

Cedric Wilson - One of the more spectacular WR's to play for the Steelers...ummmmm...or not
Nate Washington - dug directly out of the Willie Parker place of birth...Fools Gold Mountain...he has shown progress but not progress that warrants a lockdown on the #3 WR spot...competition for that spot would be nice...competition wasnt in cowhers vocabulary last season, unfortunately
Jerame Tuman - resigned in FA...awesome...see tackle eligible comment
Duce Staley - he is now officially getting paid by both the steelers and Reebok big&tall clothing
Najeh - he is ok...but usually guys from "the U" who allow human waste to plop out of their ass directly onto clean/folded clothes dont experience too much success in life
Lee Mays, Walter Young, Sean Morey - these are recipients of the NFL's outreach program to find nice summer homes for out of work semi pro football players....in places like Barcelona and Amsterdamn

I like Tony Hunt...Michael Bush...Brian Leonard...any of these three should be around when it comes 2nd and 3rd round selection time....just dont wanna see them wait until round 6,7 to address a legitimate need like RB

83-Steelers-43
03-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Since his greatness had been so long predicted, the NFL decided to skip the formalities and just put Kuhn in the Hall of Fame.

:toofunny:

Elvis
03-17-2007, 05:52 PM
I love Willie and I am not bought on Najeh being the answer at all, he has taken Duce's spot I guess now. I wouldnt mind seeing Pittman out of Ohio State or Germaine Race from pittsburgh st.
Say No To Drugs... and Yes To Jesus
Elvis

GBMelBlount
03-17-2007, 10:38 PM
we need to add a back to this offense...so i love the thread

I really want to see the steelers make a commitment to adding weapons on offense during this years draft...i have come to grips with the fact that their #1 pick will most likely be a LB/DE...and thats fine... i think when you look at our current depth chart (starters & immediate backups) it is obvious that at least 4-5 of our picks will be on the D side of the ball

we are obviously good at TE...although under the previous regime, Miller and any other TE we had was treated like the invisible man on somedays .....and like Max Starks bodyguard others

QB...we're good

WR...made an effort last yrs draft...and history shows that WR is one of the hardest positions for rookies and second year men to make an immediate impact...

But RB is a position where you can find a guy in rd. 2or 3 that can immediately serve as a legitimate threat for the offense...

but in the last 4 yrs...our additions to the offensive side of the ball hasnt been real impressive

Santonio Holmes- loved the move to trade up for him...called for it leading up to last years draft...didnt make alot of friends on this site during that time period...not alot of holmes fans then i guess
Heath Miller- i love this guy...unfortunately in western pa...with sherrif chinny-chin running the show, TE stands for tackle eligible
Willie Reid- drafted by cowher to aid ST's & learn WR position...only to rot on the bench while colclough and holmes returned punts at the level of a high schooler..then got injured...hasnt been heard from since

Charles Davis, Fred Gibson, Cedric Humes, Noah Herron, Omar Jacobs, among others- all were not wearing steeler uniforms (and some no uni's at all) by week 5 of rookie seasons

Cedric Wilson - One of the more spectacular WR's to play for the Steelers...ummmmm...or not
Nate Washington - dug directly out of the Willie Parker place of birth...Fools Gold Mountain...he has shown progress but not progress that warrants a lockdown on the #3 WR spot...competition for that spot would be nice...competition wasnt in cowhers vocabulary last season, unfortunately
Jerame Tuman - resigned in FA...awesome...see tackle eligible comment
Duce Staley - he is now officially getting paid by both the steelers and Reebok big&tall clothing
Najeh - he is ok...but usually guys from "the U" who allow human waste to plop out of their ass directly onto clean/folded clothes dont experience too much success in life
Lee Mays, Walter Young, Sean Morey - these are recipients of the NFL's outreach program to find nice summer homes for out of work semi pro football players....in places like Barcelona and Amsterdamn

I like Tony Hunt...Michael Bush...Brian Leonard...any of these three should be around when it comes 2nd and 3rd round selection time....just dont wanna see them wait until round 6,7 to address a legitimate need like RB

Wow, lotta verbiage. Yes we need LB & probably DE & CB earlier on. However, before RB (Glory position) I think we need 1 or 2 strong O-line picks and maybe a WR...... So, I say if we find a monster steal RB, yes! However, if not, I look RB late.