PDA

View Full Version : BOO BAN

MACH1
03-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Should 'booing' at amateur sports events be banned?

Booing at games may be banned

Will decision make you cheer or jeer?

By CASEY MCNERTHNEY
P-I REPORTER

The organization that oversees high school sports in Washington is considering rules for fans that could ban booing and offensive chants.

The Washington Interscholastic Activities Association has not made an official ruling, but has discussed guidelines to crack down on negative conduct, a spokesman said.

Some of the state's top coaches believe a boo ban is extreme. ...

Full story @ http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/preps/305898_booban03.html

Livinginthe past
03-12-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't like this thread.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ahem.

Here is the actual link - the other one doesn't work.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/preps/305898_booban03.html

This is the type of stuff that has the right wingers thinking the world is going to hell in a Politically Correct handbasket.

The problem is you have too many commitees, too many commitees overseeing those other commitees, etc etc ad infinitum - the simply isn't enough work to go round so discussions like these take place.

Look everybody we are earning our paycheck.

"I don't know why people think it's acceptable to boo in the first place," WIAA Executive Director Mike Colbrese said. "It's a pretty novel concept to me."

Ok, this guy is obviously into competitive team sports in a big way - booing...?...whats that?

People who are looking to infringe your basic rights as a citizen are very dangerous people.

MACH1
03-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Yeah I fixed it. lol

Jeremy
03-12-2007, 12:10 PM
It's Washington State. Do you really need an explanation for why they're doing this?

83-Steelers-43
03-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Ban boo'ing? At least we have our priorities straight. I'm more concerned with the idiot parent beating the hell out of a 14 year old on the opposing team because Jr. received a late hit, but that's a whole other situation.

Anyways, we are now going to tell kids at the highschool level that boo'ing will not be permitted but once you hit college you can boo all you want? Makes sense. Personally I'm not a fan of boo'ing. I think it shows a lack of respect, but it's part of the game. If you are an adult and happen to be booing at a highschool game, I suggest you take a course in parenting and anger control. I'm not suggesting parents should be banned from booing. I am stating that you have issues if you do. It's highschool.

The offensive chants are another story. What do 'they' consider offensive? At every Steeler and Penguin game they announce that vulgar language will not be tolerated. I have no problem with that rule. You can't have some drunk idiot starting up a "F-Cleveland" chant in front of 8 year old Jimmy attending his first game with dad. I do not see why it should be any different at the highschool level.

HometownGal
03-12-2007, 12:21 PM
I am not a boo-bird by nature, except at professional sporting events when the visiting team takes the ice or field at Mellon Arena or Heinz. When I hear someone shout an F-bomb or some other vulgarity, though, I'll be the first one to turn around and ask the person to watch their potty mouth (ask XT how many times I've done it at Pens games - LOL!) Booing and cursing at amateur sporting events is lame as hell, imho, but to actually impose a ban on it is almost as lame. What's wrong with giving a warning and if the perp doesn't heed the warning, tossing him/her/them out on their hineys? :kick:

Preacher
03-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Ban boo'ing? At least we have our priorities straight. I'm more concerned with the idiot parent beating the hell out of a 14 year old on the opposing team because Jr. received a late hit, but that's a whole other situation.

Anyways, we are now going to tell kids at the highschool level that boo'ing will not be permitted but once you hit college you can boo all you want? Makes sense. Personally I'm not a fan of boo'ing. I think it shows a lack of respect, but it's part of the game. If you are an adult and happen to be booing at a highschool game, I suggest you take a course in parenting and anger control. I'm not suggesting parents should be banned from booing. I am stating that you have issues if you do. It's highschool.

The offensive chants are another story. What do 'they' consider offensive? At every Steeler and Penguin game they announce that vulgar language will not be tolerated. I have no problem with that rule. You can't have some drunk idiot starting up a "F-Cleveland" chant in front of 8 year old Jimmy attending his first game with dad. I do not see why it should be any different at the highschool level.

I gotta agree. Usually, the only time I boo a teenager in a game is when they purposely do something illegal... like tripping or elbowing in a hockey game.

However, on the issue of W. state, well, that is what happens when you get the western side of the state in control of things. So sad.

Suitanim
03-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Careful! If you boo a player for playing poorly, the kid may develop a complex and think that he is inferior, and, God forbid that any child be sent any kind of message other than that he's the bestest and greatest ever!

As for booing the opposition, again, we are all exactly all the same, so we need to nurture the "competition" and treat them as we would treat our own. Remember, even the extremist Muslims who literally live to die via killing as many of us as possible are really our fun friends, and we should treat them with respect and kindness....

polamalufan43
03-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Honestly, I'm split. Mostly because in my right state of mind, I probably would say it's a little uneeded. But, when something stupid happenes that just sets me off, well... yeah...

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Suitanim
03-13-2007, 03:55 PM
The bottom line is that almost NOTHING should be "banned", and even considering banning something like booing is absurd. These busybodies need to solve the 800,000 other more pressing, urgent and REAL problems they are facing before they can waste time on this garbage...

polamalufan43
03-13-2007, 03:57 PM
The bottom line is that almost NOTHING should be "banned", and even considering banning something like booing is absurd. These busybodies need to solve the 800,000 other more pressing, urgent and REAL problems they are facing before they can waste time on this garbage...

Very good point.
Booing isn't that big of an issue when you compare it to everything else that needs to be controlled during games.

Preacher
03-13-2007, 05:06 PM
This is what happens when freedom of speach is only reserved for the press

fansince'76
03-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Careful! If you boo a player for playing poorly, the kid may develop a complex and think that he is inferior, and, God forbid that any child be sent any kind of message other than that he's the bestest and greatest ever!

As for booing the opposition, again, we are all exactly all the same, so we need to nurture the "competition" and treat them as we would treat our own. Remember, even the extremist Muslims who literally live to die via killing as many of us as possible are really our fun friends, and we should treat them with respect and kindness....

Agreed. The pussification of America continues to roll right along....

klick81
03-14-2007, 12:33 AM
BOOURNS!!!

MasterOfPuppets
03-14-2007, 01:16 AM
i reserve the right to boo at any function.:thumbsup:

Hines0wnz
03-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Totally stupid proposal.

polamalufan43
03-15-2007, 02:39 PM
i reserve the right to boo at any function.:thumbsup:

Pfh, lol.

You and many others, lol,

MasterOfPuppets
03-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Pfh, lol.

You and many others, lol,

even at weddings....:checkit:

Suitanim
03-15-2007, 07:06 PM
The people who want to ban booing are the very same who want to PROTECT the right of those wacko Religious nutjobs who show up at Iraqi vet funerals and shout that God hates the US and the soldiers deserved to die.

Freedom of speech is only allowed when it falls right in line what the intelligentsia think is best for all of us...

SteelCityMan786
03-15-2007, 07:21 PM
HEY THIS JUST IN

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jeremy
03-15-2007, 07:34 PM
The people who want to ban booing are the very same who want to PROTECT the right of those wacko Religious nutjobs who show up at Iraqi vet funerals and shout that God hates the US and the soldiers deserved to die.

Freedom of speech is only allowed when it falls right in line what the intelligentsia think is best for all of us...

We're now the West Coast point of entry for Iraqi war dead, so there was a big to do about the Freedom Riders and the religious nuts not too long ago.

Suitanim
03-15-2007, 08:00 PM
For people who aren't familiar, here is their website.

http://www.godhatesfags.com/

No joke...this is an EXTREME right religious group, and that's a real web address.

fansince'76
03-15-2007, 08:16 PM
For people who aren't familiar, here is their website.

http://www.godhatesfags.com/

No joke...this is an EXTREME right religious group, and that's a real web address.

I guess these idiots picketing soldiers' funerals don't realize that if OBL and the gang get their way, they'll be among the first to have their heads hacked off....