PDA

View Full Version : How much patience will the steelers show Ben

Big D
03-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I was having the debate the other night about Ben. If he struggles like this the next couple seasons should the steelers stick with him or look into the future. Ben signed a six year contract in 04. So the steelers are about due to make a decision on him as soon as next offseason. What do you all think?

ajs8207
03-12-2007, 01:29 PM
If he struggles for the next couple seasons(next 2-3), then were going to have to think about making a change. However, I highly doubt hes going to struggle for the next couple years.

Big D
03-12-2007, 01:32 PM
If he struggles for the next couple seasons(next 2-3), then were going to have to think about making a change. However, I highly doubt hes going to struggle for the next couple years.

that's exactly what I was saying. Ben had alot on his plate last year. I think he will have his best year this upcomming season

Livinginthe past
03-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Well, it all depends on what he does this year doesn't it?

Personally, I think he will be back close to his 2005 form but there are alot of variables that could stop that being the case.

Ben is obviously a naturally confident sort of guy but its possible his scrape with his own mortality has made him question things he wouldn't have before....... maybe thats a good thing, maybe its not.

Even though last year was pretty disastrous from his personal point of view (aswell as the teams) I think he will be expected to show an ability to carry the offense a little more often - the Steelers Oline (for so long a major strength) has some major question marks against it for this year which could impact the effectiveness of the running game.

A QB who has a genuine target at TE is always a more comfortable QB.

There has been talk of Heath Miller being given more freedom to express himself in the passing game, but then that ties right back into the O-line issues - will they be able to afford to sacrafice his blocking?

It also depends on the nature of Bens struggles - if they were part of a team that was struggling as a whole it would be different to if he was something of a millstone around the neck of a good team (Grossman).

Like I say, I don't think Ben will struggle this year - he will have learnt alot last year about areas he needs to improve.

If he were to struggle, you would have to weigh up his abilities against the FA's available at that time or the potential of drafting another starting QB and the 2/3 year learning curve that would entail.

NM

PisnNapalm
03-12-2007, 02:02 PM
I definitely want to see Heath Miller used more in the passing game. He's got great hand and can easily run over a db.

I think Ben will be more prepared this year and have his head focused on the game. We'll see the real Ben this season.

TheManOfSteel
03-12-2007, 02:13 PM
There is now way been struggles for the next 2-3 seansons. I agree with Big D.

TackleMeBen
03-12-2007, 02:21 PM
it seems that they are behind him no matter what. just look at last season. we all knew that he shouldnt have played in games that he did. i think he will be back to his old self and will light it up this season!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-12-2007, 03:23 PM
I think we need to ge anoter WR if ben is going to be a good WB.
We have Hines Ward, who is a great player,and is going to produce, but he is not a deep threat....and not a player that is going to draw double team.(he has lost a step).....
Santonio Holmes I think will be a great WR.
And then the rest are all questions.......?????

We need an extra receiver that will open the field up to give Ben some options.....

Big D
03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
We have Hines Ward, who is a great player,and is going to produce, but he is not a deep threat....and not a player that is going to draw double team.(he has lost a step).....

We need an extra receiver that will open the field up to give Ben some options.....

this pin head on the local sports show here in cleveland said that if teddy ginn falls to the steelers at 15 we would take him. I would seriously puke

polamalufan43
03-12-2007, 03:31 PM
I think that last season was a long-needed kick in the butt for Ben. He needed to learn a few things without a doubt. So, I honestly don't think he will have such an incredibly bad year again. However, if he does, there's no doubt that the FO will be looking into a few changes.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

19ward86
03-12-2007, 04:17 PM
tommy maddox, kordell stewart i dont remember these guys getting cut right after a bad season.

The Duke
03-12-2007, 04:17 PM
I think that last season was a long-needed kick in the butt for Ben. He needed to learn a few things without a doubt. So, I honestly don't think he will have such an incredibly bad year again. However, if he does, there's no doubt that the FO will be looking into a few changes.

Yeah,I hope he learned his lesson with his mistakes and improves during the offseason.

Miller should definetely be a target at the pass, he was thrown to less this season than on his rookie season.

Stlrs4Life
03-12-2007, 04:32 PM
There is now way been struggles for the next 2-3 seansons. I agree with Big D.

Same here, I can't see him struggling for another 2-3 seasons. But if we are wrong, yeah you do need to start thinking in another direction. I'm more worried about our OL, than Ben right now.

VolatileMan
03-12-2007, 04:32 PM
My only fear is that sometimes and event, like Bens motorcycle accident, can change a person?s psyche (sp?). As a single example take Tommy Maddox. The guy was phenomenal for us until he lay unconscious on the football field.

Sure he talked the talked and walked the walk afterwards, but he was never the same.

Last year Ben just wasn?t the same, in any game.

Lets hope Im wrong, or at least with time he can return to where he was, physically, mentally, spiritually (and I dont mean religion)!

just my $.02

VolatileMan

tony hipchest
03-12-2007, 05:22 PM
My only fear is that sometimes and event, like Bens motorcycle accident, can change a person?s psyche (sp?). As a single example take Tommy Maddox. The guy was phenomenal for us until he lay unconscious on the football field.

Sure he talked the talked and walked the walk afterwards, but he was never the same.

Last year Ben just wasn?t the same, in any game.

Lets hope Im wrong, or at least with time he can return to where he was, physically, mentally, spiritually (and I dont mean religion)!

just my $.02

VolatileManben didnt suffer from any t. maddox syndrome that i saw.

vs. the cheifs and atlanta, ben played better than he ever has before. he went 6-2 down the stretch and showed a ton of resolve after getting clobbered by baltimores bart scott and the other 8 sacks. even in his horrible loss to denver, he threw for a ton of completions and yards.

i think he will be better physically, and like most qb's going into their 4th year, his mechanics and decision making will continue to improve.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-12-2007, 05:31 PM
How long will the Steelers patient with Big Ben? Well even if he struggles this year I still don't think he will be replaced. Actually I see him playing out his rookie contract even if he struggles for the rest of it.

Now if he is average at best also I don't see him being resigned after his rookie contract. But this isn't going to happen. Ben will bounce back strong in 07 and become the first Steelers QB to throw 30 TD's in a season. I made this same prediction last year in May and was totally wrong.lol

X-Terminator
03-12-2007, 06:20 PM
It's nice to read a thread and see everyone not wanting to throw Ben under the bus after last season. Good on ya! :cheers:

PalmerSteel
03-12-2007, 07:29 PM
they wont give him 2-3 seasons. there has to be impovement this year. maybe not perfection. could blame that on the new coaching staff. but for him to get seriously paid he will have to have a much improved year this season and be in pro bowl with brady and manning for the rooneys to cough up the money i am sure ben's agent says he is worth. i have faith in him.

GBMelBlount
03-12-2007, 07:32 PM
I think Ben's injuries may permanently affect his play. I hope most of you guys who are optimistic are right. O-line could be a problem for Ben too. Look how much Maddox and Bettis dropped off a few years ago when the line was weak. I am getting concerned that there are ALOT of things that need to come together this year! Would another strong receiver help us much if the line is weak? Let's hope Heath can get out a little more this year too!

Man_Of_Steel
03-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I think Ben's injuries may permanently affect his play. I hope most of you guys who are optimistic are right. O-line could be a problem for Ben too. Look how much Maddox and Bettis dropped off a few years ago when the line was weak. I am getting concerned that there are ALOT of things that need to come together this year! Would another strong receiver help us much if the line is weak? Let's hope Heath can get out a little more this year too!

I agree with you about Ben. He is much slower now. Reaction time is totally the opposite than it was before his motorcycle accident. He has A LOT of work to do to convince me he is okay. I hope Tomlin gets him to work this offseason.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-12-2007, 09:21 PM
If the problems in 07 can be contributed almost totally to the o-line (nobody is perfect,not even Manning or Brady) then I think only some fans will lose patience with Ben.

Personally,I think he will have gotten back to his 04/05 playing weight and will be the good 'ol Big Ben who almost never loses.

Godfather
03-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Ben will be OK. We went 6-2 in the second half of the season--he started showing his old form during that stretch.

In the first half of the season,he had the appendectomy just when he was almost recovered from the motorcycle accident, and the concussion just when he was almost back to normal after the appendectomy.

Preacher
03-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Ben will be OK. We went 6-2 in the second half of the season--he started showing his old form during that stretch.

In the first half of the season,he had the appendectomy just when he was almost recovered from the motorcycle accident, and the concussion just when he was almost back to normal after the appendectomy.

Amazing how many people actually forget that.

geo1963
03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Here are some stats i think kind of show the way Ben played in the last 8 games of the season. Keep in mind, these include both Baltimore games where he got the living hell pounded out of him( yes some i'm sure he does have to take alot of that on himself, but our o line was simply out classed in both games)

Completions/Attempts : 130/235 55%

Yards per game : 1,734 Avg. 217 per game

T.D/INT : 11 TD's to 9 INT's

Average QB Rating : 84.13

1st Baltimore Game: 15/31 for 156 yds. 1 TD/2 INT Rating 47.1

2nd Baltimore Game 21/41 for 214 yds. 0 TD/2 INT Rating 46.2

All things considered I'd have to say he played pretty well over that period. I don't anticipate Ben being the problem. His biggest challenge is becoming a true leader of this team, he's had Bettis, Ward, and Porter to handle those duties in the past. Yeah, he still has Hines, but it's his time now. We'll see if he's ready for that yet . I think he is, but time will tell

GBMelBlount
03-12-2007, 11:24 PM
ben didnt suffer from any t. maddox syndrome that i saw.

vs. the cheifs and atlanta, ben played better than he ever has before. he went 6-2 down the stretch and showed a ton of resolve after getting clobbered by baltimores bart scott and the other 8 sacks. even in his horrible loss to denver, he threw for a ton of completions and yards.

i think he will be better physically, and like most qb's going into their 4th year, his mechanics and decision making will continue to improve.

Tony, I hope & pray you are right. Nothing would make me happier than knowing he is fully recovered! I'd hate to think of Ben as an arrogant conceited bastard who couldn't back up his mouth for another season! :jammin:

Haiku_Dirtt
03-13-2007, 04:23 AM

SIGH!!!

ANOTHER RECEIVER!!!! Brother. We could have had Art Monk, Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison lining up last season and we'd still be picking 15 in the draft.

We WON the Super Bowl with half-ass receivers (forgive me Hines because you are anything but) so NOW the savior of the Steeler Org. is ANOTHER over-priced primadonna.

Whether Ben will ever be 100% again is left to history. Whether he'll ever have the time to throw won't be predicated on the speed of our wideouts.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-13-2007, 09:39 AM
I agree Haiku,we don't need another wideout.

Let Ward and Holmes be the #1 & #2,Washington should be the #3 because of his height...and let Wilson and Reid fight for #4 and #5.

Stillers#1
03-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Ben's a mental case, plainand simple....show him adversity, and he shows you interceptions.

Steeldude
03-13-2007, 11:35 AM
BR better buckle down and study for once. his mechanics are poor and i have not seen any improvement in terms of growth. this is not to say he a poor QB by no means. it means that he is stagnant. can anyone honestly say he has grown since 2004?

one thing is for sure, he needs to stop the last one to arrive and first one to leave crap.

here's to 2007/08 and the hope that BR only gets better. :cheers:

TheManOfSteel
03-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Some of you forget WITH OUT BEN = NO 5th Superbowl Championship. I agree he needs to rebound from last year. Yet some of you talk like he is Maddox or Stewart. Open your eyes this is a TOP NFL QB period.

MACH1
03-13-2007, 11:55 AM
I think he has to have a good year to keep his job, another season with 20+ int's will probly get his head onto the chopping block.

tony hipchest
03-13-2007, 12:26 PM
this blogwriter did some good research on bens decline last season...

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/deljzc/ (very worthy of a visit)

Other Statistics worth listing:

3rd & 6+ Statistics:
2006 - 59 of 100, 722 yds, 4TD, 8INT, 10 Sacks, 6 Rushes
2005 - 41 of 80, 502 yds, 3TD, 6INT, 8 Sacks, 9 Rushes
2004 - 42 of 74, 576 yds, 3TD, 3INT, 11 sacks, 14 Rushes

I listed this to compare how many 3rd and long situations the Steelers faced and if there was a significant increase as compared to our total offensive plays. Obviously, I am not including rushing attempts on 3rd and longs, but those would be very difficult and tedious to find. I think this percentage is just as worthwhile to see any trends.

2006 - 116 out of 1041 (11.1%)
2005 - 97 out of 960 (10.1%)
2004 - 99 out of 1012 (9.8%)

Since this increase follow exactly how our rush offense has decreased, it makes sense that a better rushing attack would help turn this around.

Last bit on Roethlisberger:

QB Rating Inside the 20:
2006 - 64.7 (64 attempts, 11TD, 5 INT)
2005 - 116.2 (41 attempts, 13TD, 0INT)

QB Rating when Behind:
2006 - 69.5 (278 attempts, 8TD, 15 INT)
2005 - 115.3 (81 attempts, 8TD, 4INT).

Comments: I don’t want to draw too many conclusions from the statistics, however a number of points become apparent when talking about Roethlisberger’s performance:

1. The pass protection was poor, but consistent with what he’s been exposed to in the past
2. He drastically reduced how many time he ran with the ball, either to avoid pressure or per design
3. He is making mistakes in the red zone that he did not do in the past.
4. He is facing more third and longs than before, but not so great an increase to account for a 20% decrease in rating.

his redzone mistakes and drop off when playing from behind need to change.

PalmerSteel
03-13-2007, 12:44 PM
the key to ben's success will derive from connecting with miller. the word on the street is out on ben. that message is "pressure the hell out of him, and he will eventually throw the pick". miller can be one of the best TE's in the league, IF HE'S USED RIGHT! quick slants and quick outs have to be improved a million times better for ben to be the man for many years to come.

DACEB
03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
some good research on bens decline last season...his redzone mistakes and drop off when playing from behind need to change.

Great find Tony, great read!

IMO it's safe to say that Ben was asked to do to much at a point in time when he was at his worst due to injuries.

Before last year we didn't play as much from behind, we controlled the clock. Before last year we settled for the field goal in the red zone, we didn't need the come from behind TD.

The running game needs to improve and be more consistent to help Ben.
Pass protection needs to improve to help Ben out.
Turnovers and field position need to improve to help Ben and the defense.
Ben needs to help Ben by cutting down on mistakes and making the right reads. A more efficient passing attack will help the running game.

Hopefully Ben comes in healthy and we see the ****sure Ben we all love. The Ben that shakes off a tackler and scrambles for a 1st down throw, remember that guy? I guess when your head and midsection have been operated on within the last couple of months your not to gunho to go out and be that guy.

TackleMeBen
03-13-2007, 01:54 PM
i do not think ben wants to endure another season like this past one. i am sure he will get his head on straight and come out and kick butt!! you know its hard to throw or read down field when your o-line doesnt give you but a second before your on your butt.

polamalufan43
03-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Yeah,I hope he learned his lesson with his mistakes and improves during the offseason.

Miller should definetely be a target at the pass, he was thrown to less this season than on his rookie season.

Agreed. He can be a great TE in a catching perspective if he gets the chance, and his rookie season proved that.

Northside Jonny
03-13-2007, 06:51 PM
If this year goes bad I can forsee QB being a top priority in next years draft that is just how the FO works. Now if that happens i believe he still gets one more year to regain his form if not he will be gone. Look at the track record it says all you need to know the steelers FO does not tolerate the following.

1.Injury prone players (example Kendrell Bell). You watch if troy is injured this year like last he will unfortunately be gone.
2.Players with a me attitude (Alonzo Jackson)
3.Players who don't produce week to week (Ike this year)
4.Vet players who demand more money than they are worth (Joey P.)

Even though we as fans may not always agree. The track record has shown that this strategy more times than not has worked in the favor of the team as a whole , and until this process fails for the FO for years on end this is all we can expect to see. Agree or disagree it sure is nice to cheer for a team that is always gonna be in the mix!

I do hoever Believe that Ben and all the team will thrive this year and seasons like last will continue to be few and far between..

"I want to be the best that ever played this game" Big Ben
You gotta love your QB having an attitude like that !!!!!!

fansince'76
03-13-2007, 07:12 PM
If this year goes bad I can forsee QB being a top priority in next years draft that is just how the FO works.

Not really - before they selected Ben in the 1st round in '04, the last QB the Steelers took in the 1st was Mark Malone back in 1980. QB rarely seems to be a priority with our FO.

The Duke
03-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Not really - before they selected Ben in the 1st round in '04, the last QB the Steelers took in the 1st was Mark Malone back in 1980. QB rarely seems to be a priority with our FO.

See, Ben is something special, we need to be patient, he'll be back to top form this season.

GBMelBlount
03-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Dudes, I had a great friend who was a good outfielder. He had a serious head injury. All his tests were fine but he could never track a fly ball on the run again. We will know this year if Ben is OK or damaged goods. Let's pray for the best.

memphissteelergirl
03-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Ben's a mental case, plainand simple....show him adversity, and he shows you interceptions.

WTH are you smoking!? :dang:

Northside Jonny
03-14-2007, 06:35 PM

U obviously did not read very closely pal. I said a top priority not first round. Besides I dont believe Ben has even close to the piss poor season of last. I'm Looking to see the old unflapable benny.

fansince'76
03-14-2007, 06:51 PM
U obviously did not read very closely pal. I said a top priority not first round. Besides I dont believe Ben has even close to the piss poor season of last. I'm Looking to see the old unflapable benny.

OK, so you consider drafting a QB in the 7th round is treating the position as a top priority? Good luck getting a QB worth a rat's a$$ with that philosophy. There are VERY FEW QBs in any given year that are going to be good NFL QBs, and even fewer that will eventually become great. Guess where the vast majority of those QBs are selected? The 1st round. Picks like Joe Montana in the 3rd and Tom Brady in the 6th are once-in-a-generation occurrences, if it even happens that often.

GBMelBlount
03-14-2007, 09:53 PM
OK, so you consider drafting a QB in the 7th round is treating the position as a top priority? Good luck getting a QB worth a rat's a$$ with that philosophy. There are VERY FEW QBs in any given year that are going to be good NFL QBs, and even fewer that will eventually become great. Guess where the vast majority of those QBs are selected? The 1st round. Picks like Joe Montana in the 3rd and Tom Brady in the 6th are once-in-a-generation occurrences, if it even happens that often.

50% Of starting quarterbacks were first round picks according to nfl outsider. That is the highest of any position. They raised the point are 50% starters because they were most qualified or because the teams were pressured to start a first rounder? Most starting QB's are a higher round draft pick vs. any other position (WR & RB aren't far behind.) However this is a moot point if Ben is back to form. He was a great quarterback (albeit arrogant and conceited) but if back in form, he is one of the best picks we ever made. What potential! I Hope we never have to talk about this again. :tt02:

I.C. Lights
03-15-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm ready to write-off last year's performance as due to the injuries. I also think Ben will recover because (a) he's very young and (b) unlike, tommy, he is actually talented. That being said, I hope Ben respects and gets along with Coach Tomlin. He needs to be inspired to play well and having the new coach's reputation depend (at least partly) on him should be motivation enough.

HometownGal
03-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I was having the debate the other night about Ben. If he struggles like this the next couple seasons should the steelers stick with him or look into the future. Ben signed a six year contract in 04. So the steelers are about due to make a decision on him as soon as next offseason. What do you all think?

I don't believe Ben will struggle this season, D, as last year's variables (hopefully) won't play a factor in either his physical play or the mental toughness he seemed to possess before last season's series of unfortunate mishaps. Whether he struggles or not will also depend on the strength and performance of the guys in front of him on the line. Hopefully, Tomlin and the coaches will get the right mix of OLmen to give Ben the protection he needs and FWP will have a repeat of last season to provide a nice balance to the Steelers' offensive attack.

Hopefully, Ben learned a very valuable lesson after all he dealt with last season - he is NOT superhuman and is a mere mortal just like the rest of us.

TackleMeBen
03-15-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't believe Ben will struggle this season, D, as last year's variables (hopefully) won't play a factor in either his physical play or the mental toughness he seemed to possess before last season's series of unfortunate mishaps. Whether he struggles or not will also depend on the strength and performance of the guys in front of him on the line. Hopefully, Tomlin and the coaches will get the right mix of OLmen to give Ben the protection he needs and FWP will have a repeat of last season to provide a nice balance to the Steelers' offensive attack.

Hopefully, Ben learned a very valuable lesson after all he dealt with last season - he is NOT superhuman and is a mere mortal just like the rest of us.

WHAT??????????????????? You mean he isnt a mutant? :banging:

DoctorJanSteelerFan
03-16-2007, 02:02 AM
Personally, I lost all my patience about Ben last season. Cowher too with his "mind in Carolina". Sure I'm happy about the SB we won and sure Ben played a big role in that. But life goes on. No reason to rehash all I said last season about the whole idiotic motorcycle/concussion/interceptions/Diva attitude/putting the O line at risk because of very slow processing speed and very slow reaction time in order to throw a football thing...

In just about every other position a football player has to prove himself. Okobi will be challenging Simmons, etc etc etc... The same should go for QB. The QB isn't some superhuman Diva who should automatically be put back in as a starter. I don't give one crap about "franchise QB" BS that gets thrown around. EVERY QB should prove himself every single year as proficient, capable of playing up to NFL standards (not half-injured, slow-footed, slow-processing, college standards). Every single year. Ben and Batch should have a full-out shootout on the field with a full practice squad. As far as I'm concerned, Batch would win it hands down.

I found it interesting that so many of my friends from all over the country (fans of other teams) watched Batch play a few games last year and they all remarked how he had improved incredibly compared to his time in Detroit. He reminded many of them of Joe Montana. We had a gold mine last year that we completely ignored. If Tomlin can ignore the idiotic Ben-mania and concentrate on getting the best men on the field to lead the TEAM, then IMO Batch is our man. Batch probably only has another year or two left at the most.

We say we're badly lacking a new leader after Bettis? Batch is a leader off the field and he is respected by all the players. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Important for a Steeler's QB to have. Ben could stand to learn a thing or two by watching a true leader as Steeler's QB. It might be his only chance to learn it and to really improve. But that will take patience too won't it?

Preacher
03-16-2007, 03:09 AM
Personally, I lost all my patience about Ben last season. Cowher too with his "mind in Carolina". Sure I'm happy about the SB we won and sure Ben played a big role in that. But life goes on. No reason to rehash all I said last season about the whole idiotic motorcycle/concussion/interceptions/Diva attitude/putting the O line at risk because of very slow processing speed and very slow reaction time in order to throw a football thing...

In just about every other position a football player has to prove himself. Okobi will be challenging Simmons, etc etc etc... The same should go for QB. The QB isn't some superhuman Diva who should automatically be put back in as a starter. I don't give one crap about "franchise QB" BS that gets thrown around. EVERY QB should prove himself every single year as proficient, capable of playing up to NFL standards (not half-injured, slow-footed, slow-processing, college standards). Every single year. Ben and Batch should have a full-out shootout on the field with a full practice squad. As far as I'm concerned, Batch would win it hands down.

I found it interesting that so many of my friends from all over the country (fans of other teams) watched Batch play a few games last year and they all remarked how he had improved incredibly compared to his time in Detroit. He reminded many of them of Joe Montana. We had a gold mine last year that we completely ignored. If Tomlin can ignore the idiotic Ben-mania and concentrate on getting the best men on the field to lead the TEAM, then IMO Batch is our man. Batch probably only has another year or two left at the most.

We say we're badly lacking a new leader after Bettis? Batch is a leader off the field and he is respected by all the players. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Important for a Steeler's QB to have. Ben could stand to learn a thing or two by watching a true leader as Steeler's QB. It might be his only chance to learn it and to really improve. But that will take patience too won't it?

Oh goodness.... here we go again.

The player the fans always loves the most is the backup quarterback... right until he throws the game-losing interception.

Fact is, Ben is the future. With the money we have put into him GUARANTEED... He gets the ball and the chance to start, to learn, AND TO MAKE MISTAKES.

fansince'76
03-16-2007, 03:12 AM

The player the fans always loves the most is the backup quarterback... right until he throws the game-losing interception.

Fact is, Ben is the future. With the money we have put into him GUARANTEED... He gets the ball and the chance to start, to learn, AND TO MAKE MISTAKES.

C'mon Preach, didn't you know that the OL would have magically held their blocks for more than 1/10 of a second if Batch was starting?!? I stopped reading when the comparison of Batch to Joe Montana was made. :rolleyes:

Steel Pit
03-16-2007, 03:17 AM

I like and highly respect Charlie Batch. He did play well last season and IMO he should have started in 2 or 3 other games but "He is not an every down-every game quarterback.
You said yourself that he only has another year or two left so why would the Steelers "RUIN" their relationship with Roethlisberger and start Batch ahead of him?

Charlie Batch signed with the Steelers knowing full well that he was going to be the backup QB. He accepted that role and will continue to accept it.

X-Terminator
03-16-2007, 03:57 AM

Ah, the heck with it. Some things just aren't worth my time. :banging:

memphissteelergirl
03-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Ah, the heck with it. Some things just aren't worth my time. :banging:

My sentiments exactly. :coffee:

TackleMeBen
03-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Well at least we dont have Eli Manning??:smile:

HometownGal
03-16-2007, 10:04 AM
My sentiments exactly. :coffee:

Add me as #3 to the sentiments list.

Northside Jonny
03-16-2007, 08:12 PM

Fist off anyone who compares charlie Batch to Joe Montana is a complete moron and is obviously smoking crack. Second of all I would hate to see a new QB every season I think the QB position should be the most stable position on the team. Offense takes more time to perfect than defense and Cowher must have thought that ben had better handle on the offense than your buddy charlie. Besides that how many guys in todays NFL would show the desire to play like ben showed last year. Ben led by example last year by showing his mental toughness and guts. These are what u call intangables! Ben is the leader of the team and it is obvious to me that the coaching staff not the players took last season off predictability of the play calling and lack of intensity by cowher and friends was the true cause of last years disappointment. I saw effort on the field but I also saw a team that was outcoached. Wich is the fault of the coach staff not ben and gang. So go ahead and take charlie and I will take ben we'll see who wins more games. Oh yeah by the way what is charlie's most memorable victory ? I know what Ben's is. :jammin:

MasterOfPuppets
03-16-2007, 09:19 PM
here's the part that cracked me up.....

No reason to rehash all I said last season about the whole idiotic motorcycle/concussion/interceptions/Diva attitude/putting the O line at risk because of very slow processing speed and very slow reaction time in order to throw a football thing...

now thats creative!!!:sofunny:

GBMelBlount
03-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Look, there were alot of mistakes made last year. There were several games the coaches should never have allowed Ben to play. Of course Ben was going to lobby for himself to play, that's the nature of being competitive & a winner. That being said, I agree with alot of what the Batch supporters say, Batch is a class act. He filled in perfectly last year! When Ben was drafted #11, I was so fired up! I got on Ben's website every day before the season even started to see his blogs. I am a big Ben fan. However, I think that Ben is very arrogant and conceited and put himself before the team ... and for some reason, because of that, I cut him less slack than most others. Again, he put himself before the team. Most others say it was his right to ride a motrcycle. I think it was reckless considering the financial investment the steelers have in him and the emotional investment the millions of fans around the world have! Also, I think it was ridiculous we didn't have a no motorcycle clause in the contract!!!!! I pray that I am wrong but I still think that Ben may be damaged goods. With the physical injuries he has had, it is possible that even though he passed the tests, that there are things that are immeasurable that have permanently affected his play. With the time off, I think he should be fully recovered next season & back to full potential assuming other areas are in place... i.e. O-line. I'm sorry if I am pissing off you "Go Ben!" fans. I am only cautiously optimistic and will have very little patience with Ben this year...... Go Steelers!

MasterOfPuppets
03-16-2007, 10:19 PM
has anyone ever given any thought to the possibilitys that maybe,just maybe his off field problems were not the reason for his sub par performances???and maybe,just maybe ben is not the next peyton manning or tom brady...but a mediocre qb that over achieved with the help of his teammates. i guess we'll know more by the end of next season.

The Duke
03-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Well at least we dont have Eli Manning??:smile:

:iagree:

ChronoCross
03-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Look, there were alot of mistakes made last year. There were several games the coaches should never have allowed Ben to play. Of course Ben was going to lobby for himself to play, that's the nature of being competitive & a winner. That being said, I agree with alot of what the Batch supporters say, Batch is a class act. He filled in perfectly last year! When Ben was drafted #11, I was so fired up! I got on Ben's website every day before the season even started to see his blogs. I am a big Ben fan. However, I think that Ben is very arrogant and conceited and put himself before the team ... and for some reason, because of that, I cut him less slack than most others. Again, he put himself before the team. Most others say it was his right to ride a motrcycle. I think it was reckless considering the financial investment the steelers have in him and the emotional investment the millions of fans around the world have! Also, I think it was ridiculous we didn't have a no motorcycle clause in the contract!!!!! I pray that I am wrong but I still think that Ben may be damaged goods. With the physical injuries he has had, it is possible that even though he passed the tests, that there are things that are immeasurable that have permanently affected his play. With the time off, I think he should be fully recovered next season & back to full potential assuming other areas are in place... i.e. O-line. I'm sorry if I am pissing off you "Go Ben!" fans. I am only cautiously optimistic and will have very little patience with Ben this year...... Go Steelers!

I do not think its Batch supporters as much as most of us knew Ben was pushed back and we have a quality backup who could take care of the job until Ben was fully recovered. Ben never even had a chance to even regain weight, let alone get his marbles straight. As we all know Ben should not of played 4 to 5 games just to keep him working out and getting himself ready to be back to what we know as Ben. Batch would of won a few games and Ben comes back by game 5 our 6 and takes over were simply back in the playoffs.

GBMelBlount
03-16-2007, 10:34 PM
I do not think its Batch supporters as much as most of us knew Ben was pushed back and we have a quality backup who could take care of the job until Ben was fully recovered. Ben never even had a chance to even regain weight, let alone get his marbles straight. As we all know Ben should not of played 4 to 5 games just to keep him working out and getting himself ready to be back to what we know as Ben. Batch would of won a few games and Ben comes back by game 5 our 6 and takes over were simply back in the playoffs.

Agreed CC. unfortunately, I don't think Ben would have been enough recovered last year to make an impact in the playoffs even if we qualified. Do you agree? Again, I'm praying for Ben this year! And a strong draft.

geo1963
03-16-2007, 10:38 PM
For Pete's sake people....it's ONE fricking year in which the ENTIRE team under achieved. I cannot belive there are so many of you who are ready to throw in the towel on a strong armed, big, strong and somewhat mobile quarterback, who even with last year thrown in has had an incredible three years here. The one about Charlie Batch reminding someone of Joe Montana ???? you are kidding are'nt you ? Ben will be fine and the Team will be fine. We do not need to be trading away our leaders ( Faneca, Ward, Etc.. ) nor do we need to be doing everything to trade up in he draft for Quinn or Russell. Thought's like this sound like Brown's fans every year ( I know, I unfortunately live in Akron and hear this stuff all the time). The Steelers are legitimate championship contenders and you do not make drastic changes because of one bad year and maintain that level. Relax and enjoy the ride. A little tweaking here and there on defense, and we'll be good to go. Offensively with Ben at QB, Parker at RB, Hines and Santonio as your starting WR's, and Miller at TE... (THESE ARE LEGITIMATE PLAY MAKERS). Just need the O-Line to get it together and there is not a lack of talent there.

geo1963
03-16-2007, 10:42 PM
AS far as Ben being arrogant and egotistical, I would hope so. Most successful people are, because they don't worry about what the nay sayers talk about, they believe in themselves.

GBMelBlount
03-16-2007, 10:49 PM
For Pete's sake people....it's ONE fricking year in which the ENTIRE team under achieved. I cannot belive there are so many of you who are ready to throw in the towel on a strong armed, big, strong and somewhat mobile quarterback, who even with last year thrown in has had an incredible three years here. The one about Charlie Batch reminding someone of Joe Montana ???? you are kidding are'nt you ? Ben will be fine and the Team will be fine. We do not need to be trading away our leaders ( Faneca, Ward, Etc.. ) nor do we need to be doing everything to trade up in he draft for Quinn or Russell. Thought's like this sound like Brown's fans every year ( I know, I unfortunately live in Akron and hear this stuff all the time). The Steelers are legitimate championship contenders and you do not make drastic changes because of one bad year and maintain that level. Relax and enjoy the ride. A little tweaking here and there on defense, and we'll be good to go. Offensively with Ben at QB, Parker at RB, Hines and Santonio as your starting WR's, and Miller at TE... (THESE ARE LEGITIMATE PLAY MAKERS). Just need the O-Line to get it together and there is not a lack of talent there.

So Geo, with Ben being cleared medically, his qb rating dropping into the 70's, he led the league in int's (and not even playing the full year), and looked like a deer in headlights.... you are not even concerned. I wasn't absolutely sure about Ben this coming year, but after your post, Thank God, now I know for sure, everything will be 100% fine. Thanks.

geo1963
03-16-2007, 10:52 PM
You do not make moves out of panic..that's all i'm saying. The Steelers have stayed the course over the years and it's been fairly successful. THANKS

GBMelBlount
03-16-2007, 11:00 PM
You do not make moves out of panic..that's all i'm saying. The Steelers have stayed the course over the years and it's been fairly successful. THANKS

Geo, sorry, you are right. Let's see how this year goes. Let's also hope Ben has all the tools he needs...O'line, etc.

fansince'76
03-17-2007, 12:45 AM
So Geo, with Ben being cleared medically, his qb rating dropping into the 70's, he led the league in int's (and not even playing the full year), and looked like a deer in headlights.... you are not even concerned. I wasn't absolutely sure about Ben this coming year, but after your post, Thank God, now I know for sure, everything will be 100% fine. Thanks.

Hey GB, don't let the "medical clearance" fool you. Team doctors in the NFL are routinely forced to clear players that have absolutely no business on the field for "the good of the team," even when "what's best for the team" is in direct conflict with their medical ethics . Don't believe me? You may want to check out the following book - it's a definite eye opener:

http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Its-Just-Bruise-Outrageous/dp/0312136277

Trust me, some of the player injuries that these guys (and presumably gals) are forced to clear due to directives from team management will turn your stomach. Ben will hopefully be fine. The only reason I say "hopefully" at this point is due to his possibly increased susceptibility to concussions which have ended more than one QB's career prematurely (Aikman, Young and Staubach, to name three off the top of my head).

GBMelBlount
03-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Hey GB, don't let the "medical clearance" fool you. Team doctors in the NFL are routinely forced to clear players that have absolutely no business on the field for "the good of the team," even when "what's best for the team" is in direct conflict with their medical ethics . Don't believe me? You may want to check out the following book - it's a definite eye opener:

http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Its-Just-Bruise-Outrageous/dp/0312136277

Trust me, some of the player injuries that these guys (and presumably gals) are forced to clear due to directives from team management will turn your stomach. Ben will hopefully be fine. The only reason I say "hopefully" at this point is due to his possibly increased susceptibility to concussions which have ended more than one QB's career prematurely (Aikman, Young and Staubach, to name three off the top of my head).

76, if Ben has a career like any of the three aforementioned, I will be ecstatic. If Ben fully recovers (who knows?), the sky is the limit. He was/is truly gifted.

polamalufan43
03-17-2007, 01:07 PM
76, if Ben has a career like any of the three aforementioned, I will be ecstatic. If Ben fully recovers (who knows?), the sky is the limit. He was/is truly gifted.

Yes, but it takes a long time to recover from something like that, I'm sure Ben can do this though.

coachspeak33
03-17-2007, 02:31 PM
I feel that Tomlin is going to have to create and maintain a positive relationship with Ben...he is only 24-25 yrs old....

during cowhers tenure, every single HC/QB relationship either was rocky throughout or ended badly....

Most of the successful QB's over the last 15-20 yrs....(when offenses really strated having more say in the outcomes of games....and more importantly championships).... really have had positive trusting relationships with their head coach

From offensive minded guys like Walsh and Holmgen to defensive guys like Dungy and Belichick....the one common thread is an effective relationship between QB and HC

Maybe Cowher just struggles with dealing with QB's, who are often times as bad to deal with as the homecoming queen (prima donnas...we have heard that from insiders about Ben)

Or maybe Ben's immaturity finally caught up with him in 06.....dunno for sure

I do know that we saw red flags from Ben in 06...that we had very rarely saw EVER before

Is he capable of regaining his form....absolutely!!!!
But he needs guidance and instruction....or he needs to listen to those trying to do that

Based on how they handled him...apparently the rooneys did not think cowher was that guy.....

Remember championship caliber QB's are a helluva lot harder to find than effective HC's

TackleMeBen
03-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Yes, but it takes a long time to recover from something like that, I'm sure Ben can do this though.

:iagree: He is a tough (not to mention a cute) kid. :wink02: i am sure he will be back to form and show all the naysayers where they can stick there opinions :flap:

polamalufan43
03-17-2007, 03:31 PM
:iagree: He is a tough (not to mention a cute) kid. :wink02: i am sure he will be back to form and show all the naysayers where they can stick there opinions :flap:

Yeah, straight up there collective a$$e$. I hope he does better this season though, I'd hate to see him go.

TackleMeBen
03-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Yeah, straight up there collective a$$e$. I hope he does better this season though, I'd hate to see him go.

:iagree: and if he does go i hope he goes out on his motorcycle.. man he is hot on that thing :drooling:

GBMelBlount
03-17-2007, 10:19 PM
:iagree: and if he does go i hope he goes out on his motorcycle.. man he is hot on that thing :drooling:

Yeah, how appropriate that he goes out on something that may have ruined his career. I think you may be more of a ben fan than a steelers fan.

ChronoCross
03-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Steelers | Roethlisberger attending offseason workouts
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:46:44 -0700

ESPN.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger is attending the team's offseason workout program.

BettisFan
03-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah, how appropriate that he goes out on something that may have ruined his career. I think you may be more of a ben fan than a steelers fan.
lol thats sortof weird tacklemeben

ChronoCross
03-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Steelers | Roethlisberger to have more responsibility within new offense
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:45:56 -0700

ESPN.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger will have more responsibility within the team's new offense. Roethlisberger will be allowed to call pass protections at the line of scrimmage. "(They're) letting me call a lot more of the stuff at the line," Roethlisberger said in an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "It should be easier for us, for me, because I know what's going on and where they'll be blocking and who they're not blocking."

ben2hines=6
03-21-2007, 01:50 PM
i dont think that the injuries had everything to do with ben last yer anyway...most of his problems seemed to be mental....i mean look at the passes he seemed to force...we ran barely any qb sneaks on third and short like we did in 05....he needs to get his head right cause to be honest i have never seen such a scared qb than him both the times we played the ravens