PDA

View Full Version : BELICHICK GEARING UP FOR ONE FINAL RUN?

ChronoCross
03-12-2007, 08:34 PM
BELICHICK GEARING UP FOR ONE FINAL RUN?
With the contractual status of Pats coach Bill Belichick always a matter of speculation and debate, some are looking at the team's current offseason spending spree as preparation for a run at one final Super Bowl before Belichick packs it in as coach of the Pats.
In the past ten days, the Patriots have signed linebacker Adalius Thomas, tight end Kyle Brady, and running back Sammy Morris. They also sent a second-round pick and a seventh-round pick to the Dolphins for receiver/kick returner Wes Welker.
The moves add punch to an already stout defense, and address the most glaring weakness on the team last year, at the receiver position. The fact that they gave up so much for Welker and took a calculated risk on Stallworth could fuel an argument that Belichick is willing to throw a little caution to the wind in order to win it all one more time.
Or maybe two more times.
Intentional or not, Belichick's approach to his contract and the media has created a mystique that some find intriguing, and that others find maddening. Still, as Belichick enters his eighth year with the same team in a profession where the average tenure falls somewhere between the life expectancy of a sheep dog and a mayfly, it's pretty safe to say that Belichick is closer to the end than he is to the beginning.

Livinginthe past
03-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Its a valid rumor I suppose and there is plenty of circumstantial evidence that apears to back this theory up.

I do believe that the change in FA policy this year is due to having alot more cap room, coupled with some obvious needs.

As of today the Patriots are still approximately $8million under the salary cap - and Asante Samuel was interviewed today by Fox25 (there is a link on their websire to it, if anyone is interested) looking like the cat thats about to get the cream.

Im certain that Pioli didn't turn down the Giants just to sell the franchise down the river and into salary cap hell.

Still, its worthy offseason speculation material.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-13-2007, 06:04 PM
If he's leaves,I think the Patriots lose a lot of that "mystique" they have.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-13-2007, 06:11 PM
If he's leaves,I think the Patriots lose a lot of that "mystique" they have.

Suitanim
03-13-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm still not sure what's brewing in Foxboro...several of these moves sound much more like Al Davis or Daniel Snyder than Dan Rooney or Robert Kraft.

Jeremy
03-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Don't tease us Bill. That's just not right.