View Full Version : Packers GM to outline plan to acquire Moss

ChronoCross
03-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Moss: Deal, or no deal?

GM to outline plan to acquire receiver

By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

Posted: March 13, 2007

Green Bay - At some point this morning, Ted Thompson will make his monthly presentation to his bosses at the Green Bay Packers and the subject of his keen interest in acquiring Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss undoubtedly will top the agenda.
http://graphics.jsonline.com/art/spec.gifPackers/NFL http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/mar07/smoss12.jpg (http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/graphic.asp?graphic=http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/mar07/moss12.jpg)

At that time, chairman of the board Bob Harlan, President John Jones and six members of the executive committee will hear details from Thompson regarding his plan to add Moss, and the general manager will learn what management has to say about the raging debate in Packer Nation.
"Ted has not spent a lot of time talking to me about it, quite honestly," Harlan said Monday. "Ted always starts out our meetings with a football report so he may get into that."
Sources have said the two teams have been discussing Moss for more than a month. On Monday, a source familiar with the inner workings of both organizations said Thompson had spoken directly with Raiders owner Al Davis about dealing for Moss.
"They're going to get rid of him," the source said. "I think they think they can trade him. And I know Green Bay has interest."
Thompson refuses to discuss Moss, and Davis always operates under a veil of secrecy. Tim DiPiero, the agent for Moss, was unavailable for comment.
But the source said he was confident that Packers negotiator Andrew Brandt, with permission from Davis, already had had preliminary talks to restructure Moss' remaining base salaries of $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in '08.
Davis is 77 and struggles to walk, but Raiders employees maintain that he remains as competitive as ever. If Thompson is passionate about anything, it would be holding on to his draft choices.
It's possible that the two sides might not agree on compensation until summer, if at all, with Davis holding out for at least a second-round pick to save face and Thompson hoping he'll just waive Moss and gain a reported $8 million in cap space.
"But Al is stubborn," one source said. "He might hang on to the guy and tell the new coach (Lane Kiffin) just to go (expletive) coach him."
In the end, Thompson might part with a middle-round choice for the 30-year-old Moss, a devastating deep threat for seven seasons in Minnesota but a dud in Oakland for the last two.
If the Packers were to offer a player, the source said the Raiders wouldn't have any interest in quarterback Aaron Rodgers but indicated that defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila or defensive tackle Corey Williams might have considerable appeal to them. The Packers insist Rodgers isn't available, anyway.
Despite acquiring wide receivers Donte' Stallworth, Kelley Washington and Wes Welker in the last week, New England admires Moss and still might take him, one source said. Tampa Bay also has interest but probably only if it can't select Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson with the No. 4 pick.
Today in the board room, Thompson will find out whether the men who run the franchise can stomach having Moss on the team. In fairness to Thompson, Harlan said he didn't know yet if the opposition to Moss would preclude a match being made.
"I've told Ted about the calls I've gotten but I haven't talked to him since Fan Fest ended or what happened today," said Harlan, who had just finished fielding five more calls on Moss.
"When it first started as a rumor, Ted came in to see me. I told him, 'I don't know what you're thinking about Randy Moss but I've got to let you know that the initial response I'm getting is not good.' It has settled down a little bit since then. I'd say it's been maybe 65-35% anti."
On Monday, Harlan shared the contents of a fax and phone call that summarized the no-Moss sentiment.
"One man wrote, 'Moody. Excess baggage. Disruptive. Do any of these words sound like alarm bells to you?' " Harlan said. "One guy called from out of state and said, 'Bob, I'd rather see you go 0-16 than do that.' Isn't that something?
"They're very passionate about it. A lot of it probably is the mooning thing. They just won't forgive him for doing that."
Other fans equate the situation to the '96 waiver pickup of character risk Andre Rison, a late-season starter on the Super Bowl team.
"People say to me, 'Brett (Favre) needs a big target. I know he's got baggage but he's never hurt anybody,' " Harlan said. "Today, they were all, 'Take a chance.' "
With Harlan ready to retire in late May, he vividly recalls the scandalous trials of the 1980s involving Mossy Cade and James Lofton.
"We've always talked about the public-relations image of the franchise and the class image of the franchise," Harlan said. "Those are important things to me, very important things to me.
"Ron Wolf was looking at a draft pick with baggage one year and he said, 'Where do you hide him in Green Bay?' And I said, 'You don't.' "

polamalufan43
03-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Moss might be a nice addtion to the Packers. I just might approve.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
03-13-2007, 05:26 PM
It's gonna be to wierd seeing Moss in Packers colors after all those years of him being a Viqueen.

I don't think the fans of GB will like it,I don't expect to see many Moss jerseys in the stands.

MasterOfPuppets
03-13-2007, 06:09 PM
It's gonna be to wierd seeing Moss in Packers colors after all those years of him being a Viqueen.

I don't think the fans of GB will like it,I don't expect to see many Moss jerseys in the stands.

ummmmm...you do know that moss has been a raider for a few years now ?

RoethlisBURGHer
03-13-2007, 06:18 PM
ummmmm...you do know that moss has been a raider for a few years now ?

And do you know that before hew as traded to the Raiders he spent his entire career with the Minnesota Vikings,a hated rival of the Green Bay Packers?

He's the guy that "fake mooned" the crowd at Green Bay and to this day many of thier fans still hate.He'll be forever remembered as a Viking,not as a Raider or a Packer.

The Duke
03-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Favre and Moss. I'm just dying to see the news about the official trade.

lilyoder6
03-13-2007, 07:28 PM
it would be a great move for green bay.. they would have another deep threat... and that could be a good set of wr with him, driver, and jennings

MasterOfPuppets
03-13-2007, 11:02 PM
And do you know that before hew as traded to the Raiders he spent his entire career with the Minnesota Vikings,a hated rival of the Green Bay Packers?

He's the guy that "fake mooned" the crowd at Green Bay and to this day many of thier fans still hate.He'll be forever remembered as a Viking,not as a Raider or a Packer.
no different than T.O. being in dallas after his antics on thier logo. i've seen a few cowboy fans sporting a t.o. jersey.

ChronoCross
03-13-2007, 11:33 PM
FAVRE PUSHING HARD FOR MOSS

Multiple sources tell us that Packers quarterback Brett Favre is pushing hard for the team to make a trade for Raiders receiver Randy Moss.

As one source with knowledge of the situation told us on Tuesday, in Favre's mind the acquisition of Moss is a done deal.

We previously reported that the Packers offered quarterback Aaron Rodgers to the Raiders for Moss. We're now hearing that the Packers might have to throw in a contingent draft pick tied to Rodgers' success (or lack thereof) in Oakland. If the Raiders ultimately don't want Moss, it likely take a second-round draft pick, or more, to get it done.

The fact that receiver Wes Welker generated a two and a seven from the Patriots suggests that the Raiders might try to hold out for at least a first-round pick. They sent a first-round pick (No. 7 overall), a seventh-round pick, and linebacker Napoleon Harris to Minnesota in March 2005 in order to land Moss, who largely has been a disappointment in two seasons with the Raiders.

On Tuesday, the team finally acknowledged that it is considering making a deal for Moss, despite several weeks of denials from G.M. Ted Thompson. Along the way, Thompson took a slap at our report that the Packers and Raiders were discussing a deal.

stlrtruck
03-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Can you say VIRUS!? Let him stay in Oakland before he taints another team!

ChronoCross
03-14-2007, 01:27 PM
MOSS DEAL HINGING ON CONDITIONAL PICK

There's a hitch that has emerged in the ongoing negotiations between the Packers and the Raiders regarding the terms of a potential trade of receiver Randy Moss to Green Bay.

We're told that the Raiders will only take quarterback Aaron Rodgers if there's also a conditional draft pick based on Rodgers' performance in 2007.

In short, if Rodgers doesn't perform, the Packers have to give up more in 2008.

The Packers' concern is that, because the Raiders have been so bad of late on offense, it's a given that Rodgers won't play well in 2007. Moreover, the Packers are concerned that the Raiders will bench Rodgers at some point during the season in order to ensure that a higher pick will come their way from Green Bay in 2008.

To resolve this potential impasse, we're told that the Packers are considering offering a 2009 conditional pick based on Rodgers' play in 2007 and 2008.

As we see it, the conditional pick should also be tied to the performance of Moss. The more he does in 2007, the more the Raiders get in 2008.

Really, the trade is about Moss, not Rodgers. And if Moss plays at Lambeau Field like he performed there while a member of the Vikings, the Packers should be happy to eventually give up a first-day pick in 2008.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-14-2007, 04:54 PM
no different than T.O. being in dallas after his antics on thier logo. i've seen a few cowboy fans sporting a t.o. jersey.

Actually big difference.Cowboy fans are bandwagon,Packer fans aren't.

It also doesn't help Moss' case that he "plays when he wants to play",leaves before games end,says he still smokes pot,and hasn't made an effort at all since becoming a Raider.

With TO,you get a cancer,but you get a cancer that will play hard every game and play he's on the field.If Moss isn't getting the ball enough,he doesn't stray 5 yards from the LOS,not even enough to draw a second defender.

Jeremy
03-14-2007, 05:31 PM

He'll be remebered as a thug and a punk. Make no mistake, this guy is a huge locker room cancer who's departure from Oakland will be addition by subtraction.

tony hipchest
03-15-2007, 01:11 PM
MOSS DEAL HINGING ON CONDITIONAL PICK

There's a hitch that has emerged in the ongoing negotiations between the Packers and the Raiders regarding the terms of a potential trade of receiver Randy Moss to Green Bay.

We're told that the Raiders will only take quarterback Aaron Rodgers if there's also a conditional draft pick based on Rodgers' performance in 2007.

In short, if Rodgers doesn't perform, the Packers have to give up more in 2008.

The Packers' concern is that, because the Raiders have been so bad of late on offense, it's a given that Rodgers won't play well in 2007. Moreover, the Packers are concerned that the Raiders will bench Rodgers at some point during the season in order to ensure that a higher pick will come their way from Green Bay in 2008.

To resolve this potential impasse, we're told that the Packers are considering offering a 2009 conditional pick based on Rodgers' play in 2007 and 2008.

As we see it, the conditional pick should also be tied to the performance of Moss. The more he does in 2007, the more the Raiders get in 2008.

Really, the trade is about Moss, not Rodgers. And if Moss plays at Lambeau Field like he performed there while a member of the Vikings, the Packers should be happy to eventually give up a first-day pick in 2008.i just heard a sirius radio report that says the sides are getting closer (appearantly the raiders have accepted the 2009 conditional pick and are also throwing tight end courtney anderson into the deal) we could see a press conference as soon as tomorrow.

jon gruden has got to be livid if the raiders are gonna pass on russell and take calvin johnson.:dang:

silver & black
03-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Moss might be a nice addtion to the Packers. I just might approve.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

I whole heartedly approve! PLEASE!... get him off of my team!!!

silver & black
03-15-2007, 03:20 PM
He'll be remebered as a thug and a punk. Make no mistake, this guy is a huge locker room cancer who's departure from Oakland will be addition by subtraction.

Exactly!:cheers:

Suitanim
03-15-2007, 07:25 PM
I doubt that moving to Green Bay will change the fact that he only runs routes when he's the primary receiver...

Jeremy
03-15-2007, 07:32 PM
The only place he's ever going to feel at home is in Baltimore.

tony hipchest
03-15-2007, 07:51 PM
I doubt that moving to Green Bay will change the fact that he only runs routes when he's the primary receiver...and we know how much farve hates checking down. its almost a match made in heaven.

Suitanim
03-15-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure the fans in GB would put up with that kind of Prima Donna...remember it wasn't THAT long ago that GB signed their first ever major FA catch, and it was controversial because he was black (Reggie White).

This IS Wisconsin...

verks36
03-15-2007, 09:03 PM
farve+Moss+Donald Driver = A sweet passinggame

SteelCzar76
03-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Even in the face of all of the 'rumors',.....i just don't see this trade happening. Though it would be great for Favre and the Pack. It makes no sense whatsoever for the Raiders.
It would take away a weapon from Russell (in Moss) that would greatly help his development and or success.
On the other hand they could deal him (Moss) and take Calvin Johnson,...but honestly does anyone really believe that Aaron Rodgers is that much of an improvement over Walters ?
Bottom Line,...i just don't see such a move as adding strength,....as much as it weakens them. (Or at the very least causes them to remain offensively 'impotent')

tony hipchest
03-15-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure the fans in GB would put up with that kind of Prima Donna...remember it wasn't THAT long ago that GB signed their first ever major FA catch, and it was controversial because he was black (Reggie White).

This IS Wisconsin...it seems the fans are still having a tough time getting over his "moon" in the playoffs :moon: while i dont find this as offensive as stomping on a star, or disgracing the terrible towel, the packers are a publicly held company and ive heard they may even have to take this choice to the board. i gotta think if cowboy fans can forgive, so can the packers, but they are on a level much closer to steelerfans.

as a football fan, i would love to see farve in his prime, throwing to moss in his prime. love em or hate em, i have seen some great football from them both. its like a wicked science experiment i would just like to see play out before they both end their careers.

Even in the face of all of the 'rumors',.....i just don't see this trade happening. Though it would be great for Favre and the Pack. It makes no sense whatsoever for the Raiders.
It would take away a weapon from Russell (in Moss) that would greatly help his development and or success.
On the other hand they could deal him (Moss) and take Calvin Johnson,...but honestly does anyone really believe that Aaron Rodgers is that much of an improvement over Walters ?
Bottom Line,...i just don't see such a move as adding strength,....as much as it weakens them. (Or at the very least causes them to remain offensively 'impotent')

if i had to choose between rodgers and johnson vs. moss and russell, i may lean towards the former. rogers is probably more ready to come in and start and you gotta think watching farve for a few years is worth something. seems to have worked for hasselbeck.

the tossup between quinn and russell seems to be about the same as the one between rogers and smith several years ago, so i guess the risk is the same.

MasterOfPuppets
03-15-2007, 11:07 PM
i don't see rogers panning out in the nfl. he's only lasted this long because he hasn't had the chance to prove he sucks. ever wonder why the packers keep begging farve to return for another nonstellar season?? rogers is gonna be another tim couch. the raiders are more than a qb or reciever away from being a contender and moss attitude with standing isn't getting any younger.not to mention how much help could/would moss be with a first year starter be it russel or rodgers?? the raiders need to dump him for as many picks as possible.

Elvis
03-16-2007, 07:00 PM
why would anyone want to poison their team with the addition of this guy named Moss? Not Me!!!
Jesus Lives... He Is Risen
Elvis

silver & black
03-17-2007, 12:17 PM

It would srengthen the Raiders by the shear fact that he would be GONE!!!

No, Rodgers is not an improvment over Walter... at all!

Russell may, or may not end up in Oakland... I hope not. IF we draft a QB, I would rather take Quinn if it just has to be one of these guys :shake01: ... I would rather take Stanton or Smith instead of wasting #1 money on either of these two nonfranchise guys.

What kind of weapon would Moss be to either one of these guys, since he doesn't want to play for the Raiders anymore, and our O line will not be a whole lot better than it was last year? Same problem: If Moss can't get down the field before the QB is on his ass, what good is he? He won't run his routes anyway... he would rather jog and go through the motions. Hell, he won't even catch a ball thats right in his hands if there is any chance he will get hit.

GET HIM THE F**K OFF OF MY TEAM!!!!!! :banging: