PDA

View Full Version : OWNERS TO EXPAND REPLAY, CHANGE INTERFERENCE RULES?

ChronoCross
03-14-2007, 10:19 PM
OWNERS TO EXPAND REPLAY, CHANGE INTERFERENCE RULES?
When the NFL owners convene in Arizona later this month, they'll consider two proposals for rules changes.
One proposal, offered up by the Bucs, would expand the scope of instant replay to cover all penalties except holding.
The other, proposed by the 49ers, would create two levels of defensive pass interference. For "severe" interference, the penalty would still be a spot foul. For minor interference, the penalty would be only 15 yards.
We like both ideas. If the purpose of replay is to use technology to rectify human error, why not make as many human errors subject to review as possible?
And, as to the interference rule, we think a modification of the spot foul provision is long overdue.
Of course, if both provisions pass, then an official's decision to characterize an interference call as severe or minor would be subject to review. So maybe both shouldn't pass as written.
Meanwhile, if the owners are looking for some commonsensical rules changes, why not create two levels of roughing the passer -- five yards and a fifteen-yard personal foul. The approach would be identical to the roughing the kicker foul, and it would address one of the most fertile areas of controversy from games during the 2006 season.

atrus20
03-15-2007, 09:18 AM
If the purpose of replay is to use technology to rectify human error, why not make as many human errors subject to review as possible?

Isn't this why replay was removed a while ago? They kept reviewing all the refs calls and it delayed the game so much that a 3 hour game dragged on forever.

BOXCAR JOEY
03-15-2007, 09:21 AM
im a big advocate of getting rid of the roughing the kicker call. honestly if they are on the field they can take a hit just like any other player on the team. boo hoo if your only commodity is your toe.

fansince'76
03-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Time to scrap the "football move" BS.

stlrtruck
03-15-2007, 03:55 PM
It's not the replay that kills me it's the identification of pass interference to begin with.

I was watching the ratbirds vs colts playoff game the other night on NFL Replay and the officials intepretation was that the contact wasn't enough to throw a flag. Now this was before the ball was thrown and I thought that any contact past the 5 yards was considered pass interference - just my interpretation of the rules. Then later in the game, the colts were flagged for pass interference and the contact was less than what the ratbird got away with on the earlier play.

So maybe it's not the human error, it's the nfl being too vague on their definitions or not training all the refs correctly.

silver & black
03-15-2007, 04:15 PM
im a big advocate of getting rid of the roughing the kicker call. honestly if they are on the field they can take a hit just like any other player on the team. boo hoo if your only commodity is your toe.

I have to disagree with that. The kicker is is in a very vulnerable position after a kick. If you were apply your thinking to QB's though, I would have to agree with it.

polamalufan43
03-15-2007, 04:17 PM
^^^ I agree. The kicker needs some protection.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Suitanim
03-15-2007, 08:24 PM
I don't like the replay rule.

I REALLY like the interference rule change.

The QB is over-protected now...when it gets to the point where defenders are afraid to even TOUCH the QB for fear of penalty, it detracts from the very spirit of the game...this ain't flag football, folks.