PDA

View Full Version : Steelers get tax credits for amphitheater plan

83-Steelers-43
03-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Steelers get tax credits for amphitheater plan
Thursday, March 15, 2007

By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers today won approval for up to $10 million in state tax credits that will help them build an amphitheater near Heinz Field on the North Side.

The Sports & Exhibition Authority, which administers the program, approved giving the team up to $1 million a year for 10 years.

The team and its development partner, Continental Real Estate, said the credits would help them with the infrastructure for the project.

The project would have to generate sufficient sales tax revenue to stay eligible for the credits.

The team plans a glass-covered amphitheater for 1,200 customers, surrounded by bars and restaurants.

"The grant will allow us to move ahead with our development plans for a live entertainment district on the North Shore," Continental said in a statement.

The SEA also approved $1.4 million for repairs to the David L. Lawrence Convention Center floor, part of which collapsed last month. The contracts also covered installation of reinforcements for beams such as the one that collapsed.

Also approved was a $1.5 million contract for environmental cleanup, such as asbestos removal, at the former St. Francis Central Hospital, Uptown. The hospital building stands where a new hockey arena is planned, and it will be demolished once cleanup is completed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07074/769776-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
03-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Now that is pretty sweet and I can't wait to go there. I'm not a Hi-Tops fan (cheesy IMO) so hopefully this will be a different option on the North Shore for me after the game is over.

My only concern is the lack of parking in the area when all is said and done.

Stlrs4Life
03-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Heck on that Amplitheater. I don't care if it ever gets done.