PDA

View Full Version : Michael Silver: Steelers Will Regret Letting Porter Go

alittlejazzbird
03-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Porter's payback
Linebacker will make Steelers regret letting him go
Posted: Thursday March 15, 2007 5:59PM; Updated: Thursday March 15, 2007 5:59PM

He hurried through the bowels of the L.A. Coliseum wearing only a towel, a frantic 49ers official at his side. For Ronnie Lott, a future Hall of Famer rushing to the locker room of the franchise that had discarded him -- because San Francisco's Charles Haley was in the middle of a scary postgame tirade, and no one else was capable of calming him down -- this was what complete vindication looked like in September of 1991.

More than 15 years later, I remember the strange scene vividly. And the more I think about the Steelers' dubious decision earlier this month to release linebacker Joey Porter, the more I think history is about to repeat.

But first, back to our blast from the past: Lott, one of the proudest and fiercest men ever to wear a uniform, won four Super Bowls in 10 seasons with the Niners, but the team had allowed him to leave as a Plan B free agent following its crushing defeat to the New York Giants in the 1990 NFC Championship game. He signed with the L.A. Raiders and then, in the midst of an All-Pro season, helped thump his former team, 12-6, to drop San Francisco to 2-3.

Haley, Lott's prot?g? and the 49ers' star pass rusher, freaked out in the locker room -- railing at the team's new quarterback, Steve Young, for failing to pull out the game the way Joe Montana had so many times in the past. At one point Haley ripped an IV out of his arm, causing blood to spurt everywhere. In an act of painful submission, the Niners sent a team official to the Raiders' locker room to summon Lott from the shower, and only then was order restored.

I'm not saying the same thing will happen to Porter and one of his former Pittsburgh teammates when the Miami Dolphins face the Steelers at Heinz Field this season. But I do believe that by the end of 2007, the franchise that employed Porter for the first eight years of his exceptional career will be humiliated for having let him go.

Did anyone else think it was at least slightly insane that the Steelers, faced with paying Porter a $1 million roster bonus and $4 million in base salary for '07, simply cut him, rather than trying to get him to agree to a restructured deal? Porter, who ended up signing a five-year, $32 million contract with the Dolphins that included $20 million in guaranteed money, certainly did.

"I wish I just had an opportunity to turn down a deal," Porter told me earlier this week. "They didn't know what I would've turned down, so why not make an offer? That was the shocking thing -- they didn't even give me the option to stay. That's what was so frustrating."

I've heard the Steelers' rationale: That Porter, who was going into the final year of his contract, wanted a lucrative extension and might hold out of training camp if he didn't get it; that Porter would have struggled to make the switch to the 4-3 defense under new coach Mike Tomlin; that Porter's likely replacement, JamesHarrison, will emerge as the latest Pittsburgh linebacker to thrive.

More troubling, there's rampant talk in NFL circles that Porter, who turns 30 this week, is somehow finished as an elite player. Critics point to a disappointing 2006 season in which Porter, who missed two games, made 55 tackles -- his lowest total since his rookie season -- along with seven sacks and a pair of interceptions.

Two of those sacks and a game-clinching interception for touchdown (after which Porter planted that memorable kiss on then-Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher) came against Miami in the season opener, which undoubtedly helped convince the Dolphins to give Porter a $12 million signing bonus -- $3 million more than the Steelers have paid any player.

Somehow we're supposed to believe Porter went from being an elite player in September to being washed up by December, when the Steelers' disappointing season ended with an 8-8 record?

Right, and Cowher forgot how to coach, too.

"No way," Hines Ward, the Steelers' All-Pro receiver, said in a phone interview on Monday. "Joey was good last year, too. His role was dropping into coverage a lot, which may not have been what he was accustomed to. So, predictably, his numbers went down. But there are still a lot of good years left in Joey."

Miami, looking for its first playoff berth since 2001, is betting big that Ward is right. With two aging stars, linebacker Zach Thomas and defensive end JasonTaylor, gearing up for a final push, Porter will infuse DomCapers' hybrid 3-4 scheme with passion, energy and playmaking ability.

As great as Taylor was last season, when he won his first Defensive Player of the Year award, there were too many occasions on which it appeared he and Thomas were playing with a completely different level of intensity than their teammates. Now that Porter is in town, with apologies to Spinal Tap guitarist Nigel Tufnel, the Dolphins will "go to 11."

Says Porter: "I can be that loose cannon, as long as I'm a controlled loose cannon. Nobody's gonna come out and push us around -- I can promise you that."

Ward believes Porter's intensity will be tougher to replace than his sacks, interceptions and forced fumbles. "It's shocking that they let him go," Ward says, "because he was really the emotional leader, the guy who brought out the best in a lot of players. That's why so many veterans -- Alan Faneca, JamesFarrior and others -- called me when they heard he was released. We were all shocked.

"You can always replace players, but you can't always replace leaders. That's what we lose more than anything. It was tough when we lost Jerome (Bettis) before last year, and then we lost Coach Cowher. Now we lose Joey Porter? It's gonna be different."

Football is an emotional game, one that requires players to put aside logic -- for example, disregarding thoughts like "Why am I thrusting my body into the path of a charging 250-pounder at full speed?" -- for the benefit of those around them. Porter, like Lott before him, is one of those rare players capable of bringing out that maniacal zeal in others. As with Lott, Porter's words carry weight because he is the craziest, most committed man on the field.

And when a player like this has his abilities questioned and his pride wounded -- look out.

Do you think it was insignificant to Porter that, shortly after his release, Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller and first-year coach Cam Cameron showed up in Bakersfield, Calif., to recruit him? They were playing to his wounded pride, and smartly so. Suddenly, Porter once again felt coveted and appreciated, which is one reason (along with the money, of course) that he canceled a scheduled visit to Cincinnati and signed with Miami.

The Steelers, in electing to cheap out when it came to taking care one of their most important players -- not an uncommon occurrence in Pittsburgh over the years -- may have saved some money. But Porter, it says here, will make them pay in other ways.

"For some reason they don't like to pay their own in Pittsburgh," says Porter, who insists he's not bitter toward the Steelers. "I knew that coming in when I watched all those great linebackers get shipped out of there. They draft you, they groom you, but when it comes time to pay, they let you go.

"A lot of my teammates know I brought more than just what you saw on the football field. I brought a mentality. And now, I have a chance to bring that to Miami. A new opportunity brings new challenges. And I'm fired up."

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/03/15/porter/index.html

fansince'76
03-16-2007, 10:00 AM
"For some reason they don't like to pay their own in Pittsburgh," says Porter, who insists he's not bitter toward the Steelers. "I knew that coming in when I watched all those great linebackers get shipped out of there. They draft you, they groom you, but when it comes time to pay, they let you go."

"Nothin' but love," eh, Joey? The week of the Dolphins game ought to be real interesting.

stlrtruck
03-16-2007, 10:05 AM
I'll stick with the FO on this one. They've never let us down and as far as I can remember not many players have had success outside of the Steelers organization. Matter of fact the only two players I can remember having success on another team or teams is Hardy Nickerson (Tampa Bay) and Rod Woodson (49ers and Ratbirds).

Porter as great as he was in the black and gold is replaceable. And I'm positive that Coach Tomlin will find that player to step up and fill that void without losing a step. Then Joey can sit back in Miami after coming back to Heinz Field only to watch Big Ben and the offense annihilate them!

fansince'76
03-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Gotta love this line by Silver: "The Steelers, in electing to cheap out when it came to taking care one of their most important players...."

Yep, the Rooneys are cheap, which explains why we have bupkus for cap room. What an idiot. Of course, what else can you really expect from SI?

03-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Micheal Silver is a hack and a closet Ravens fan. He never has anything good to write about the Steelers. Maybe he should write his next piece on how his beloved Ravens are cheap and ignorant seeing as how they are over paying a washed up MLB, while letting a young stud OLB go in free agency.

tony hipchest
03-16-2007, 10:21 AM
"You can always replace players, but you can't always replace leaders. That's what we lose more than anything. It was tough when we lost Jerome (Bettis) before last year, and then we lost Coach Cowher. Now we lose Joey Porter? It's gonna be different."
hines ward sure has been doing alot of talking and giving analysis lately. he sounds pretty worried to me. i havent heard him say "we'll be fine, someone will step up", or "im ready to embrace that role" (then again maybe thats a good way to find himself cut- steelers are cleaning house of the "old leadership".

what do joey and hines have in common?

high salary
declining production last year
injured
entering their 30's (supposed downside of their career)
missed the pro bowl
always talking
offensive and defensive leaders with longest tenure

if hines is next years salary cap casualty shouldnt we just trade him now and atleast get some value for him? perhaps the 49ers #1 pick? (they probably wouldnt go for that but a phone call couldnt hurt)

floodcitygirl
03-16-2007, 10:38 AM
I would have liked to have kept Joey and seen what he could do under new management this season. I guess we'll all find out.

(I don't think we'll be seeing any of our current players ripping out IV's and going nuts on Ben, however. That comparison seems more than a bit high drama for the Steelers. He must have been thinking of the Bengals when he wrote it.)

Edman
03-16-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm sure we will regret seeing Porter get pushed around by decent offensive tackles and disappearing against teams that aren't the Browns, Bucs, or Raiders. I sure we will also miss him getting his head shoved into the ground by the likes of Jamal Lewis, and delivering a cheap shot personal foul a play later. This isn't the 2001-2004 Joey Porter we're talking about. That was seasons ago. He was clearly on the decline in 2006. On top of that, we have JACK CHIT cap room. Did Silver ever look at that? Idiot.

Don't forget, Silver is the same guy who wrote an article about the Seahags getting jobbed after Super Bowl XL. The hell with him.

Edman
03-16-2007, 11:04 AM
"Nothin' but love," eh, Joey? The week of the Dolphins game ought to be real interesting.

I concur. The Dolphins game at Heinz was interesting, now it's gonna be REAL interesting. This keeps up, I will pretty much forget Porter was ever a Steeler. If Joey was our leader, where was the "leadership" and "intensity" in 2006? The Steelers were far from intense. Getting pushed around by your MOST HATED division rivals 58-7 is not intense. You lead by play and example, not by being a loudmouth. Joey talked too much and didn't bring any results. We'll see what's up, Joey.

SteelShooter
03-16-2007, 11:07 AM
I truly disloke Silver's articles..................but I'm still gonna miss the world out of Joey.

ChronoCross
03-16-2007, 11:40 AM
We have let bigger names then Joey go before and someone always steps in and does the job nicely. I was surprised like some that we let go of joey. But like others I will stick by the Roonies and Coach Tomlin on this.

dhosmer
03-16-2007, 11:40 AM
<quote>That's why so many veterans -- Alan Faneca, JamesFarrior and others -- called me when they heard he was released. We were all shocked.</quote>

I'm getting tired of hearing about how worried Alan Faneca is about every single change the Steelers have made. Get used to it.

DACEB
03-16-2007, 11:53 AM
hines ward sure has been doing alot of talking and giving analysis lately. he sounds pretty worried to me. i havent heard him say "we'll be fine, someone will step up", or "im ready to embrace that role" (then again maybe thats a good way to find himself cut- steelers are cleaning house of the "old leadership".

You got that right Tony, I guess we're finding out that there are few quality leaders on this team. I would not include Joey or Hines on that list, maybe Bettis was the only one. It's one thing to question change, we all do. It's disappointing to see so called, or thought of, leaders publicly questioning not just the coach but the orginization. Many of you might say that they are just showing a desire to win or winning attitude. I say they are acting like high school kids, running their mouths like little bitches.

I love what Hines has brought to this team, I have his jersey. I think he should show a little more respect to the team that gave him his oppurtunity to shine in the NFL. The Rooneys, the coach, the fans expect better from players like him. It's exactly those types of comments and those types of attitudes that produce seasons like last year.

coachspeak33
03-16-2007, 12:04 PM
<quote>That's why so many veterans -- Alan Faneca, JamesFarrior and others -- called me when they heard he was released. We were all shocked.</quote>

I'm getting tired of hearing about how worried Alan Faneca is about every single change the Steelers have made. Get used to it.

I think this post is really on to something...many of the veterans on this team...many of "Cowher's guys" appear so pesimistic about the direction of the franchise...

hmmmm...wonder if "cowher's guys" arent a little uneasy at the prospect of not having meaningless little things like...oh i dont know...STARTING JOBS AND PLAYING TIME simply handed to them???

I dont hear Ike Taylor doing too much complaining after Cowher completely scape-goated his ass last yr....he struggled sure but to be the only starter to get punished???? ...albeit about 3 weeks too late....ABSURD

this sounds a little redundant but competition improves your ability to compete athletically...Cowher removed all competition within the structure of the team after the XL win...a lot of the fans did this as well....i would offer criticism of players or coaches during the preseason and the responses from the sheep usually sounded lilke this:

"Oh Cedric WIlson will be fine... he was good enugh to win a SB!!!" or "Ask the Seahawks about Deshea Townsend!!!" ....

I get it we won.... i am probably still in the process of replacing brain cells i lost the night of XL...but one SB win doesnt allow any player or coach to walk on water

Come on Tomlin....challenge these guys....we have the talent to win a SB right now but the approach mentally with many last season appeared to be....ummm........lets just call it....not hungry enuf to win a championship

DACEB
03-16-2007, 12:44 PM
The next words I would like to hear quoted out of Hines mouth are " Ben and I and the other WR's were working out at the facility, working on our chemistry."

An old qoute goes like this " leading by example", Hines your leading everyone the wrong way!

stillers4me
03-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Jerome is gone.

Cowher is gone.

Joey is gone.

Movin' on.....................

vasteeler
03-16-2007, 01:47 PM
we will miss joey just like we missed lloyd,bell,green,gildon so on and so on
i love joey just like everyone else but we will be ok with out him:tt02:

Edman
03-16-2007, 01:54 PM
I agree, Hines and Faneca have been whining a little too much as of late. That is not a good sign at all. Especially for a coach who hasn't even coached a game yet and is working his tail off at the combine as we speak.

This constant complaining tells me that these two have (or will) become complacent cancers on the team. True blue veteran "leaders" do not speak out or criticize the organization. They criticize their teammates' play and lead by example. Which both DID NOT do last year and ARE NOT doing now. Willie Parker had the balls to call out the team's play last year, our "Big Leader Threesome(Porter, Ward, and Faneca)" did not. One of them is gone, and the other two are crying.

The more #86 and #66 speak, the more their days are numbered as Steelers in my eyes. It's a new regime, and no more "Cowher's Country Club". Either you're in or you're out. At least give Tomlin a chance to coach before you start questioning his coaching ability.

coachspeak33
03-16-2007, 01:57 PM
I love it...."Cowher's Country Club"....so true ..... so true

coachspeak33
03-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I told my non steeler friends about week 10 last year...."Cowher has become a characature of his former self...and I miss his old self."

apparently billy could handle success....hey there are people out there like that in pro sports...they dont know how to recreate that hunger in the belly after achieving the ultimate prize

coachspeak33
03-16-2007, 02:00 PM
could not i mean

NV STEELERS 723
03-16-2007, 03:27 PM
The STEELERS pay....just not 30yr old LB's

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-16-2007, 03:38 PM
I cant wait until we play the dolphins....see if he starts anything or how the fans react

MasterOfPuppets
03-16-2007, 04:10 PM
"I wish I just had an opportunity to turn down a deal," Porter told me earlier this week. "They didn't know what I would've turned down, so why not make an offer? That was the shocking thing -- they didn't even give me the option to stay. That's what was so frustrating."

when a guy is threatening to hold out,2 years before his contract is due...you can only exspect he's valueing himself a littlte too high.

Livinginthe past
03-16-2007, 05:20 PM
I still think the Steelers done the right thing by not re-signing Porter.

There have been some great points made by other posters on this thread that I totally agree with - Porters production last year was very poor (when you look at who those 7 sacks were primarily made against) and getting penalised for cheap shotting an opponent is not the way I would expect a 'leader' to act.

I would strongly question the releasing of him without gaining any type of trade value, though.

Looking at the money Miami was willing to pay, you hve to imagine they would be willing to pony up a 3rd rounder, maybe even a 2nd, to get the signing rights.

That would have meant paying $5million for a 1st day draft pick - that has to be decent value, right?

Its not easy to say whether Joey's decline last year was down to a reduction in physical ability, or whether he sufered from the general malaise that surrounded the team for 2/3rds of the season.

The signing itself is an odd one, I was sure Maimi were getting the older guys off their roster and going into rebuild mode - then they give out this huge contract, when they don't even know who their starting QB is going to be?

Very strange.

As far as the article goes, I think your average fan is way too savvy to be fooled by the 'cheap Steelers' routine - its a line used by lazy journalists who want to incite rather than inform.

Suitanim
03-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Did we regret letting Kirkland go?
Did we regret letting Emmons go?
Did we regret letting Kendrell Bell go?
Did we regret letting Greg Lloyd go?
Hell, did we even REALLY regret letting Chad Brown go?

The Steelers are the absolute masters of assessing exactly when it's time to let the old guy go and let the young guy shine.

augustashark
03-16-2007, 06:00 PM
I think this post is really on to something...many of the veterans on this team...many of "Cowher's guys" appear so pesimistic about the direction of the franchise...

hmmmm...wonder if "cowher's guys" arent a little uneasy at the prospect of not having meaningless little things like...oh i dont know...STARTING JOBS AND PLAYING TIME simply handed to them???

I dont hear Ike Taylor doing too much complaining after Cowher completely scape-goated his ass last yr....he struggled sure but to be the only starter to get punished???? ...albeit about 3 weeks too late....ABSURD

this sounds a little redundant but competition improves your ability to compete athletically...Cowher removed all competition within the structure of the team after the XL win...a lot of the fans did this as well....i would offer criticism of players or coaches during the preseason and the responses from the sheep usually sounded lilke this:

"Oh Cedric WIlson will be fine... he was good enugh to win a SB!!!" or "Ask the Seahawks about Deshea Townsend!!!" ....

I get it we won.... i am probably still in the process of replacing brain cells i lost the night of XL...but one SB win doesnt allow any player or coach to walk on water

Come on Tomlin....challenge these guys....we have the talent to win a SB right now but the approach mentally with many last season appeared to be....ummm........lets just call it....not hungry enuf to win a championship

Funny how you call them "Cowher's Guys"........Whose else would they be! The whole damn team is "Cowher's Guys"!

As for the "starting jobs and playing time" being handed to them......Let's see......may I ask who you would have started over Ward, Porter and Feneca?

Nice post.

The Duke
03-16-2007, 06:33 PM

The Steelers are the absolute masters of assessing exactly when it's time to let the old guy go and let the young guy shine.

You're right, all those players were past their best when we let them go, and we always found good replacements.

Suitanim
03-16-2007, 06:46 PM
It's what the Steelers do better than anybody in the league.

Elvis
03-16-2007, 06:46 PM
First of all... I was a little shocked when we released Porter, but can we really ? our Front Office? What they have done in the past?
I For One Agree With Duke.... who on that list really had a big year anytime after they left the Steelers? Emmons has really had the best of any of those big name LB's that the Steelers let go just in the nick of time.... I liked Porter dont get me wrong... but he is not all that our defense had ladies and gentlemen...
God Bless
Elvis

steel#1
03-16-2007, 07:49 PM
I really think it was time for Porter to go. I mean, Cowher had to talk him into coming to camp without a contract renegotiation last year, and he loved Cowher. Does anyone in their right mind think he was just going to come and play the last year of his contract, no muss, no fuss--no way! He was after that last big pay day--understandable. I can respect that, but everyone needs to understand that the Steelers couldn't afford the price tag, so they did the classy thing--They released him to go get the big pay day that they couldn't afford. Contrary to the reputed cheapness of the Steelers, and how are they cheap when they have the least amount of room under the cap? The Steelers never have put Joey down they just regretfully released him, to his benefit. The Steelers have a lot of other players coming up that are also going to want their big pay day. Faneca, Smith, and Polamalu as well as Roethlisberger. They unfortunately can't keep them all. So they will do as they have done in they past and rely upon an excellent scouting department to find a replacement--history says they will successfully do so. So enjoy your huge payday Joey and have a lot of success, but remember to thank the Steelers for the opportunity to get that big payday. And guys cut Faneca and Ward some slack, all they've known is Cowher, they entitled to their nerves and questions. After all isn't that what we've shown since the hiring of a new coach?

tony hipchest
03-16-2007, 08:03 PM
It's what the Steelers do better than anybody in the league.they do miss badly on the occasional player or 2 such as r. woodson or kevin green.

after a disappointing 9 sack season with the steelers, 33 year old green joined dom capers with the panthers and led the league in sacks with 14.5. i think "old assed, over the hill, lost a step," porter is gonna thrive in miami (not to say he shoulda remained a steeler cause we may not provide the same system for him to thrive in)

but just to show an example to people who have been dogging porter because of his age, of how joey porter may not be washed up, playing for capers:
year.age.............gp. sacks
1996 34 CAR NFL 16 14.5
1997 35 SFO NFL 14 10.5
1998 36 CAR NFL 15 15.0
1999 37 CAR NFL 16 12.0

27 sacks as a 36-37 year old. i still cant believe he wasnt even 250 lbs. i swear he played like he was 260-270. then again, to compare porter to one of the greatest linebackers is a bit unfair, but at 30 years old, i think he will definitely produce for the dolphins and the system they will run. especially paired up with thomas and taylor.

if there is anything that resembles lloyd and green, it is definitely football i am going to watch. i can see the pats going 4-5 wr sets pretty much the whole game against the dolphins.

Suitanim
03-16-2007, 08:16 PM
But Joey won't be asked to drop into coverage and play the run...he'll become an overpriced situational player, and the Steelers don't go there.

GBMelBlount
03-16-2007, 11:46 PM

when a guy is threatening to hold out,2 years before his contract is due...you can only exspect he's valueing himself a littlte too high.

Indeed. The consensus is he's slowed down. We can only see how he plugs in with Miami. I am going to go out on a limb and say based on salary expectations and combativeness, we made the right decision. OLB early in draft! Good luck Joey.

coachspeak33
03-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Funny how you call them "Cowher's Guys"........Whose else would they be! The whole damn team is "Cowher's Guys"!

As for the "starting jobs and playing time" being handed to them......Let's see......may I ask who you would have started over Ward, Porter and Feneca?

Nice post.

Obviously, I was not speaking of those three specific players getting jobs handed to them...
-I was refering to the pispoor management of the depth chart by cowher...
-His refusal to make any type of personel decisions until it was painfully obvious to everyone watching that several steelers were uncharacteristically underachieving...
-Basically pointing out the overall complacent attitude throughout the franchise...

its impossible to know for sure what/who is to blame...
it was however easy to see that the previous cowher led regime on the sidelines could not make the proper adjustments to re-focusing the talent on this football team...

You want proof????
proof of this lies in the fact that the rooneys really cleaned house of any significant gameday decision makers from the coaching staff...

All of the whining coming from guys like Hines and Faneca sound like veteran workers who arent real thrilled about new management coming in and changing anything in the business....cause the "old guard" (so to speak) in every work environment is usually fearful of "the way we've always done things"

HELLO!!!!!!!...WE WENT FROM SB DIRECTLY TO RECORDS OF 2-5 and eventually 4-7!!!!!!...

that would be considered a bad thing by most....unless your still patting yourself on the back for winning SB XL....

if you go back and look and the decisions and indecisions of last years cowher led regime...the facts dont lie....neither do the results....this ultimately forcing the rooneys to make a major overhaul to the entire franchise

Well look at the first change made by the rooneys...but first rewiind to a month following SB XL

after cowher served as a major distraction throughout the offseason and leading into 06 with NC and contract talk...

or i should say no talk as he boldly announced he is "a coach on a year-to-year basis" (that is a direct quote by the way..directly from the chins mouth...unbelievable)....

cowhers decision making seemed to match his "year to year" attitude....lazy, disinterested, zero ingenuity, very high-schoolish (always errorring on the "sides of the seniors")....100% INCAPABLE OF PROACTIVE DECISION MAKING

a coach resting on his laurels while on a contract w/ two yrs remaing on it by the way...

a contract signed with a franchise that has taken a hard stance (for the duration of cowhers coaching career when it came to negotiating with players while under contract)....

so what does bill "players coach" cowher do...

deals with the media....airs out dirty laundry....basically disrespecting the code of the steeler way....

ya know the same code he demands his players to handle their professional/financial business (what a disappointment....anyways)

"I am a coach on a year-to-year basis?"........okay....so the rooneys said here is our offer 4-5 million per season....for your "year-to-year coaching services"....a slap of an offer to a guy going to canton....but a slightly respectful slap (if there is such a thing)

uh....sorry but the nfl doesnt work that way....the pittsburgh steelers especially dont work that way...

so apparently cowher, like some on this site, began to think he somehow was a better coach after SB XL.....nope same coach basically....same strengths....same weaknesses....but now after he finally got over the hump he relaxed and so did his football team

so much like they did with joey (another guy who is always bitching about how much the contract....that HE, HIMSELF SIGNED BY THE WAY!!!! isnt paying him)...they gave cowher no choice but to walk away.....
then they rounded up anybody who was close to him in terms of decision makers on last years club....and RAN THEIR ASSES OUT OF PITTSBURGH

so yeah i think its fair for steelers fans....especially those of hines and good ol #66....to tell them to shut their mouths and seize the opportunity and responsibility that is currently at their feet....be a leader for this football team...ya know the 07 team not the 05 team

RoethlisBURGHer
03-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Here is the thing,Porter was gonna hold out because Cowher was gone.

I loved Cowher,but his biggest mistake as a coach was being too loyal to aging vets.He sat Ike Taylor during the season when he should have sat Townsend...but Cowher was too loyal to the vet and sat the wrong guy.

Look at Staley,he was obviosly a "Cowher Guy" seeing how it took Cowher leaving for Staley to finally be cut.

Mostly we are right when releasing an "aging vet",I wish we would have kept Woodson though.He was worth the price.

Porter will have a huge sack-total this year in Miami because he will be rushing the passer 90% of the time.I bet when the Phins come to Pittsburgh,Porter will not drop back into coverage once.

Harrison will come in and prove that he belongs and we will draft someone to eventually take Harrison's place (Harrison is like 29 years old).I think Harrison replaces Porter at ROLB and then next year said rookie replaces Harrison at ROLB and Harrison replaces Haggans at LOLB.

tony hipchest
03-17-2007, 03:44 PM
its impossible to know for sure what/who is to blame...
people will always minimize the effects of bens accident, because, as cowher always said, it was his job to take the blame.

from an emotional standpoint the players went from the highest of the high, to the lowest of the low. that had to leave their mindset somewhere in the middle. kinda like and 8-8 season is right in the middle of a 16-0 (high) and an 0-16 season (low). all the confidence and the swagger of the steelers was shattered and erased after:

-the accident
-the emergency appendectomy when things started to look good
-bens losses to jax and cinci

theres not a coach, psychiatrist, religous man alive that was gonna prevent the effect that had on the team. no superbowl winning team had experienced anything even close to that except maybe the broncos losing elway and davis. we lost ben and jerome.

shanahan has still got his job almost 10 years later and its almost refreshing to see how their fans have yet to turn on their coach. then agains steelerfans expect more.

anyways kevin green racked up 80+ sacks after he turned joey porters age. 50+ were turned in after he turned 33 and joined dom capers in carolina (i know...he did a 1 year stint in sf). if anyone can "revive" porters career, it will be dom capers in miami.

other than the steelers defense, i look most forward to watching miami next year. (i loved watching carolina in 96)

coachspeak33
03-17-2007, 04:08 PM
good point tony,
there is no dount in my mind joey will play very well in Miami...but (typical of any steelers fan) I do not feel that Joey at 30yrs old is not worth 5yrs 32 million....20 of which is guaranteed....

Will he play good for Capers and the Dolphin D...yes
Will signing him to big dollars and handicapping future transactions and financial flexibility lead to extended success for the Dolphin franchise.....Not in my humble opinion.

Also...when things got hairy (poor play, all of ben's extracurriculars, cowher's NC home and contract issues) late in the preseason and early in 06...Cowher looked like a deer in headlights....
did i call for his head....Absolutely not....I simply clammored for him to stop adding his own personal shit going on to what was already a muttled, cluttered, distracted, and unprepared football team

Cowher put himself in the line of fire by pouting publicly and professionally....throughout last season he refused to address his coaching future....
he claimed to be a "year-to-year coach" throughout the season,
not one player throughout the season said publicly that Cowher had made any mention about his uncertain future...
he tried to leverage for his own big time Parcells/Holmgren type coaching contract....
while still being under contract for 2 remaining seasons...
MEANWHILE HIS TEAM WAS CRUMBLING ALL AROUND HIM

Was Ben's accident part of the problem....but it was what it was....an accident

In hindsight....cowhers ploys began just weeks after SB XL and lasted all the way up until Rooney gave him a pink slip

Very hypocritical in my opinion

during 06 was i disappointed in bill.....hell yes
did i want him fired during 06.....hell NO

but now its over....and history lays the facts out there for everyone to see....and they point a very ugly, selfish, anti-best-interest-of-the-team finger directly at cowher

And that probably is a big reason he will have the misfortune of sitting next to that terrible crew (except for Marino) on the CBS pregame show

tony hipchest
03-17-2007, 04:36 PM
the rooneys easilly couldve handled cowhers "ploy" (i call it common negotiation they always went in when cowher entered his 2nd to last season under contract) by giving him MARKET VALUE.

but its not the rooneys style to pay hardly anyone market value. (see porter)

if i were troy or faneca, i would be worried. like porter and cowher they will probably be playing with an eye towards their huge payday. they dont have to prove themselves any more to get this payday. they will be playing to not get hurt if the rooneys play the "cowher game" and let them be a "year to year" player.

coachspeak33
03-17-2007, 04:39 PM
He will be getting paid though....which based on his actions and non-actions in 06....is exactly what he was after since he touched the lombardi trophy

tony hipchest
03-17-2007, 04:49 PM
He will be getting paid though....which based on his actions and non-actions in 06....is exactly what he was after since he touched the lombardi trophy
and the rooneys will still turn a profit (which ultimately is what any team owner is after), regardless of the 8-8 season. not retaining cowher makes them atleast 3.5 mil richer.

coachspeak33
03-17-2007, 05:14 PM
true....maybe they will spend it on a legit #2 RB instead of poopy pants, currently representing "THA U".....or give Kuhn an extension...HAHAHA

fansince'76
03-17-2007, 11:47 PM
shanahan has still got his job almost 10 years later and its almost refreshing to see how their fans have yet to turn on their coach.

Not quite, Tony. I live in Broncos country and trust me, Broncos Nation is NOT happy with Shanahan at this point whatsoever. Where Broncos fans are concerned, the goodwill towards Shanahan by winning 2 SBs back-to-back has long since worn off. However, Shanahan still has the undying support of Pat Bowlen (kinda like the Rooneys had for Cowher), and at the end of the day, his is the only opinion that matters when it comes to keeping Shanahan around.

Steeldude
03-18-2007, 01:00 AM
If Joey was our leader, where was the "leadership" and "intensity" in 2006? The Steelers were far from intense. Getting pushed around by your MOST HATED division rivals 58-7 is not intense. You lead by play and example, not by being a loudmouth. Joey talked too much and didn't bring any results. We'll see what's up, Joey.

exactly.

Stlrs4Life
03-18-2007, 11:10 AM

I hear ya, I'll even throw in Rod Woodson. This isn't something new.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-18-2007, 05:01 PM
I hear ya, I'll even throw in Rod Woodson. This isn't something new.

Something new,nope.But come on,you must admit,we should have paid Woodson.

fansince'76
03-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Something new,nope.But come on,you must admit,we should have paid Woodson.

Yep, letting Woodson go was a big misstep by the Steelers, and was a loss we painfully felt for years afterwards.

polamalufan43
03-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Yep, letting Woodson go was a big misstep by the Steelers, and was a loss we painfully felt for years afterwards.

I agree. I think we should have never let Woodson go at that time.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

GBMelBlount
03-18-2007, 07:35 PM

When you have a consistent policy of letting players go when you guess they will be on the downside, sometimes it's a crapshoot.

polamalufan43
03-18-2007, 07:37 PM
When you have a consistent policy of letting players go when you guess they will be on the downside, sometimes it's a crapshoot.

True, but I think this can appl to any team, not just the Steelers. I guess it all depends on what brains you have in the FO.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
03-18-2007, 09:43 PM

I don't quite remember what made the FO think he was on the downside of his career.

I was definatly happy to see him get a ring,I just wish it wasn't with the damn Ratbirds.

MasterOfPuppets
03-19-2007, 02:29 AM
I don't quite remember what made the FO think he was on the downside of his career.

I was definatly happy to see him get a ring,I just wish it wasn't with the damn Ratbirds.

well it could've been the way he was consistently being beat in coverage....kinda like chad scott. woodson didn't revamp his carear until he moved to safety which doesn't require man to man coverage.

Suitanim
03-20-2007, 07:53 PM
And Woodson didn't want to move to safety...but time caught up with him.

Regardless, there is absolutely no doubt that when he goes into the HOF on the first ballot, he goes in as a Steeler.

WV-SteelerFan
03-20-2007, 09:16 PM
...woodson didn't revamp his career until he moved to safety...
...Woodson didn't want to move to safety...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but,
he didn't make that move until AFTER he left the Steelers, did he?
If that's the case, (IMHO) I don't see that the Steelers front office really made a mistake...

And that's just MY 2 cents...lol

:helmet:

Livinginthe past
03-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Why do religious types insist on the wacky centre spacing? :sofunny: