PDA

View Full Version : One Year Wonders

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-17-2007, 11:36 AM
PFW has a real nice article on the lack of NFL production from players with two years experience or less in college....from 1999 to 2003 (allowing 3 years to pass before evaluating) out of the 30 players taken in the first round with less than 2 years experience ...only 3 have had a major impact on their team...the list reads like a 1st round bust column.
There are several reasons for this apparantly....such as some players lacking the drive to do well until their senior seasons and they are looking for a big payoff in the pros...If THAT is their motivation...what will be their motivation AFTER they get signed? ...some Players often are placed into schemes that inflate their numbers...which becomes more apparant after 2+ years.
As the writer of the article put it...drafting one year wonders is a proven recipe for draft day failure

polamalufan43
03-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Very interesting.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Elvis
03-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Could they be speaking/writting about the big guy from LSU? I think so and they are probably right. That is the reason the Raiders are gonna be stupid if they draft the guy over a proven winner in the guy from Notre Dame..
I am having a brain fart on names right now just forgive me...
GO TAR-HEELS... SWEET 16 BOUND...
God Bless
Elvis

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-18-2007, 06:25 AM
Here is the list with studs highlighted:

QB Tim Couch to Cleveland with overall #1 pick...............0 pro bowls
QB Akili Smith to Cincinnatti with overall #3 pick..............0 pro bowls
WR Troy Edwards to Pittsburgh with overall #13 pick.........0 pro bowls
OT Luke Petitgout to Giants with overall #19 pick..............0 pro bowls
DE Ebenezer Ekuban to Dallas with overall #20 pick..........0 pro bowls
WR Travis Taylor to Baltimore with overall #10 pick..........0 pro bowls
CB Rashard Anderson to Carolina with overall #23 pick.....0 pro bowls
OT Leonard Davis to Arizona with overall #2 pick..............0 pro bowls
WR Freddie Mitchell to Eagles with overall #25 pick............0 pro bowls
QB David Carr to Houston with overall #1 pick..................0 pro bowls
OT Marc Columbo to Chicago with overall #29 pick............0 pro bowls
WR Bryant Johnson to Arizona with overall #17 pick...........0 pro bowls
OT George Foster to Denver with overall #20 pick..............0 pro bowls
RB Larry Johnson to Kansas City with overall #27 pick........0 pro bowls
DE Tyler Brayton to Oakland with overall #32 pick..............0 pro bowls
CB Delthea O'Neal to Denver with overall # 15 pick............2 pro bowls
DE Patrick Kearney to Atlanta with overall #30 pick.............1 pro bowl
DT Corey Simon to Eagles with overall #6 pick...................1 pro bowl
RB LaDainian Tomlinson to San Diego with overall #5 pick..4 pro bowls
RB Shaun Alexander to Seattle with overall #19 pick..........3 pro bowls
LB Brian Urlacher to Chicago with overall #9 pick..............6 pro bowls

Barely over two years experience

DT Reggie McGrew to 49ers with overall #24 pick................0 pro bowls
OT Aaron Gibson to Detroit with overall #27 pick.................0 pro bowls
WR Sylvester Morris to Chiefs with overall #21 pick.............0 pro bowls
TE Antony Becht to Jets with overall #27 pick......................0 pro bowls
WR David Terrell to Chicago with overall #8 pick.................0 pro bowls
DE Jamal Reynolds to Packers with overall #10 pick.............0 pro bowls
QB Joey Harrington to Detroit with overall #3 pick................0 pro bowls
OT Mike Williams to Buffalo with overall #4 pick...................0 pro bowls
DE Michael Haynes to Chicago with overall #14 pick.............0 pro bowls

polamalufan43
03-18-2007, 08:01 AM
I's say that list is pretty accurate. Alot of people on that list I've heard about maybe once, with the exception of players like Deltha, and that's only because he was arrested.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-18-2007, 08:14 AM
The article pointed out that Kearney, Simon & O'Neal both were not exceptionally talented players but rather benifited from the system they were in.

polamalufan43
03-18-2007, 11:39 AM
The article pointed out that Kearney, Simon & O'Neal both were not exceptionally talented players but rather benifited from the system they were in.

I agree completely.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-18-2007, 12:29 PM
If we are to believe this as fact..(and they make an excellent arguement for it)....then we need to steer clear of potential 1st rounders who didnt start OR play extensively for more than two years:

QB: JaMarcus Russell
RB: Marshawn Lynch and Kenny Irons
WR: Robert Meachem, Sidney Rice & Anthony Gonzales
DE: Jarvis Moss, Jamaal Anderson & Victor Abiamiri
DT: Alan Branch & Amobi Okoye
OLB: Lawrence Timmons
CB: Chris Houston
S: Reggie Nelson

Zachygrahm
03-19-2007, 11:01 PM
that is very interesting

Livinginthe past
03-19-2007, 11:14 PM
If we are to believe this as fact..(and they make an excellent arguement for it)....then we need to steer clear of potential 1st rounders who didnt start OR play extensively for more than two years:

QB: JaMarcus Russell
RB: Marshawn Lynch and Kenny Irons
WR: Robert Meachem, Sidney Rice & Anthony Gonzales
DE: Jarvis Moss, Jamaal Anderson & Victor Abiamiri
DT: Alan Branch & Amobi Okoye
OLB: Lawrence Timmons
CB: Chris Houston
S: Reggie Nelson

Alan Branch took a real pasting from the KC D-line coach in the Michigan pro-day workout - some type of hand fighting exercise.

This is the type of thing that will make a guys draft stock plummet.

Word trickling out of the Michigan Pro Day is that Chiefs defensive line coach Tim Krumrie roughed up defensive tackle Alan Branch in one of Krumrie's one-on-one slap fights.

Per a league source, Branch looked winded before he even got to the patented Krumrie spanking machine. At one point during his session with Krumrie, Branch appeared to be ready to quit.

Gil Brandt of NFL.com corroborates this in his Pro Day updates: "Tim Krumrie worked Branch hard during the position drills, and the scouts there said Branch did not look like he was in very good shape."

Krumrie, better known to most fans as the guy who got Theismanned during Super Bowl XXIII, is a legend in league circles for the no-pads hand-fighting test, to which he subjects many of the linemen he is scouting.

"It's Gladiator stuff," said one league source.

For Branch, who is projected by many as a top-ten pick, the end result apparently was thumbs down.

tony hipchest
03-20-2007, 01:07 AM
Alan Branch took a real pasting from the KC D-line coach in the Michigan pro-day workout - some type of hand fighting exercise.

This is the type of thing that will make a guys draft stock plummet. randy cross and bob mcgovern(?) both work with brandt and were talking about this drill. its really designed to test ones fortitude and ones will to keep fighing. they were talking about how the one they would really like to see go through it is 19 year old okoye... not to see if he would fail, but they both though he would dominate it and it wouldnt phase him.

RB LaDainian Tomlinson to San Diego with overall #5 pick..4 pro bowls
RB Shaun Alexander to Seattle with overall #19 pick..........3 pro bowls
LB Brian Urlacher to Chicago with overall #9 pick..............6 pro bowls

very interresting list LLT. 2 out of the 3 in bold played in the WAC. Csar76 was discussing weddle (safety outta utah) in another thread and the biggest question about tomlinson, urlacher, faulk, etc were that they played in the wac and had a subpar level of competition. i never understood this cause if you can rush for 300+ yds and 4-5 td's against a sub par team, it stands to reason you can atleast manage 100 yds against a good one.

funny that 2 WAC players absolutely dominate that list. (tomlinson shoulda had 5 pro bowls. 1000+ yds rec and 1000+ rush woulda had him in just about any other year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-20-2007, 07:20 AM
randy cross and bob mcgovern(?) both work with brandt and were talking about this drill. its really designed to test ones fortitude and ones will to keep fighing. they were talking about how the one they would really like to see go through it is 19 year old okoye... not to see if he would fail, but they both though he would dominate it and it wouldnt phase him.

very interresting list LLT. 2 out of the 3 in bold played in the WAC. Csar76 was discussing weddle (safety outta utah) in another thread and the biggest question about tomlinson, urlacher, faulk, etc were that they played in the wac and had a subpar level of competition. i never understood this cause if you can rush for 300+ yds and 4-5 td's against a sub par team, it stands to reason you can atleast manage 100 yds against a good one.

funny that 2 WAC players absolutely dominate that list. (tomlinson shoulda had 5 pro bowls. 1000+ yds rec and 1000+ rush woulda had him in just about any other year.

What I find interesting is comparing some of the sexy picks at DE (with two years or less experience) to some (with 3+ years experience) that are dropping on the boards...could it be possible to get Levi Brown at #15..and Quinton Moses in the 2nd round?

tony hipchest
03-20-2007, 04:01 PM
What I find interesting is comparing some of the sexy picks at DE (with two years or less experience) to some (with 3+ years experience) that are dropping on the boards...could it be possible to get Levi Brown at #15..and Quinton Moses in the 2nd round?i think we would have to be extremely lucky to have both of those fall to us. i still wanna see us go with the defensive front 7 in our 1st 2 picks but i gotta think if a. peterson, or l. brown did fall, those are 2 we couldnt afford to pass up. depending on what they do in the 1st round teams like atlanta and denver could be thinking the same thing. we still have flexibility to manuver though. if levi is there at 15 i bet you the giants call us up and make us a sweet offer.

Livinginthe past
03-20-2007, 04:20 PM
randy cross and bob mcgovern(?) both work with brandt and were talking about this drill. its really designed to test ones fortitude and ones will to keep fighing. they were talking about how the one they would really like to see go through it is 19 year old okoye... not to see if he would fail, but they both though he would dominate it and it wouldnt phase him.

Sure, as you say its a mental test.

Alot of these guys are big fish in small ponds on the college circuit and I guess alot of them struggle to acclimatise to not being 'the man' on a profootball team.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 08:03 AM
PFW has a real nice article on the lack of NFL production from players with two years experience or less in college....from 1999 to 2003 (allowing 3 years to pass before evaluating) out of the 30 players taken in the first round with less than 2 years experience ...only 3 have had a major impact on their team...the list reads like a 1st round bust column.
There are several reasons for this apparantly....such as some players lacking the drive to do well until their senior seasons and they are looking for a big payoff in the pros...If THAT is their motivation...what will be their motivation AFTER they get signed? ...some Players often are placed into schemes that inflate their numbers...which becomes more apparant after 2+ years.
As the writer of the article put it...drafting one year wonders is a proven recipe for draft day failure

Came across this post from last year....thought it was amazing how this formula has materialized in the drafting of Timmons and Woodley.

We may want to keep this in mind when looking at OT's in the first round this year.

Rhee Rhee
02-23-2008, 05:59 PM
We may want to keep this in mind when looking at OT's in the first round this year.

i think ur absolutely right... i'm hoping we steer far and away from carl nicks...

and i still am a little bit surprised with our pick timmons but more than happy he's on the team...