PDA

View Full Version : Parker could start on opening day

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2005, 01:27 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05240/561510.stm

Although different in style, Parker and Foster have two things in common -- they were not highly regarded in the draft and languished behind others in their first years.

Foster, a fifth-round draft choice in 1990, ran for 203 yards as a rookie, 488 his second season, then burst into Steelers history with a team-record 1,690 yards in 1992, Bill Cowher's first as coach.

Parker, undrafted, ran for 186 yards as a rookie last season and was third or fourth on the depth chart entering this one. But, with Duce Staley rehabilitating from knee surgery and Jerome Bettis possibly out with a calf injury, Parker could open the season as the team's starter at halfback.

"I'm just ready for whatever," Parker said after his dazzling one-carry, 51-yard performance Friday night against the Washington Redskins. "I'm ready for what the NFL brings, I'm ready for what the defense brings and I'll just go out there and play my game."

The Steelers declined to reveal what the MRI on Bettis' calf showed yesterday, but, if he cannot play, Parker could get the nod in the Sept. 11 opener against Tennessee. Staley says he'll be ready by then, but Cowher does not want to rush him back. Parker has 112 yards rushing on 11 carries, a 10.2-yard average. He averaged 5.8 yards on 32 carries as a rookie after leading the team in his first preseason with 202 yards rushing and a 4.4-yard average.

Cowher said the situation is dire enough at halfback that Parker, a Clinton, N.C., native who played at the University of North Carolina, may not play when the team wraps up the preseason against the Carolina Panthers Thursday night in Charlotte, N.C.

"That's for the home coming," said Parker, pleading his case to play. "That's for North Carolina."

Their plans are bigger than that for him right now.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2005, 01:39 AM
If Staley says he's ready, he'd better suit his ass up cuz if Jerome is still injured, there's no way I wanna go into opening day or any game for that matter w/ nothing but Parker and Haynes. No disrespect to either of them, but they are both largely unproven players who have shown flashes at times, but we gotta see them do it week in and week out first.

clevestinks
08-28-2005, 05:47 AM
Blitz we may not have a choice. I do understand your worries, I can feel it to. But I see Parker getting his snaps early and often this season. I am not bleaming the Steelers, because we were all excited when they picked up Duce. But man it sure looks like he is turning into an injury prone bust. Now we are stuck with him. Please prove me wrong Duce.

BB2W
08-28-2005, 11:46 AM
I love the thought of Parker starting and getting 25 carries a game. He may have some monster numbers with that many touches..... I wonder if he can do it.

Koopa
08-28-2005, 12:17 PM
i agree with bb2w, i like the idea of parker starting, his style of running is my favorite, and i love watching no names make it big, and i think he can if given the chance. i just hope he doesn't do so good that he becomes a hoe and starts wanting a huge contract.

BB2W
08-28-2005, 12:21 PM
It sounds like he will start week 1.....

The Steelers' situation at running back is so dire that Parker might not play against the Panthers.

"You might not see him again until Tennessee," Cowher said of Parker -- meaning the team isn't likely to risk playing him against Carolina with Staley and Bettis hurt. Parker gained 51 yards on his only carry against Washington.
link..... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2145032

clevestinks
08-28-2005, 12:24 PM
I also like his style. And I`m really in favor of mixing if up a little. Pound the big guys than throw in some speed. Or visa versa

blairsummit
08-28-2005, 12:44 PM
i hope parker gets his shot this year. i like his style and it gives us a different additive to our game. we usually have the bigger powerfull backs and with parker he is a quick lil guy.

SteelerSal
08-28-2005, 12:52 PM
I love the thought of Parker starting and getting 25 carries a game. He may have some monster numbers with that many touches..... I wonder if he can do it.

Just had my fantasy draft last night and I got Parker in the 12th round,out of 18 rounds.The other guys were shocked except my brother, who was pissed cause I pulled the trigger earlier than he hoped cause he wanted him also.

I hope he makes a huge impact on our running game this season,and keeps Duce on the sidelines when he gets healthy.

Justin Otstott
08-28-2005, 01:02 PM
yea I would love to see Parker get many carries myself! I think Parker should start out the season as a starter and see if Duce can pick up, if not we might not have no choice but to stick with Parker and if Bettis gets better, we can use him for the red-zone game.

BB2W
08-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Good quote...... I like this guy. :thmbup:

"If they call my number (as a starter), that's fine with me," Parker said Friday night after he displayed two more flashes of preseason brilliance in the Steelers' 17-10 loss to the Washington Redskins . "I just have to be ready. I have to keep practicing the way I've been practicing. I'll do whatever it takes to help this team."

clevestinks
08-28-2005, 06:01 PM
I think I can say "That we all like our offensive line, they are probably one of the best in the league" With that said. Bus, and Duce barrel through these holes put their head down and keep pumping thier feet. We if our line can blow those same hole open for a fast elusive back like Willie Parker then let him juke some db`s. I think that would be exciting to watch. With our line Willie Parker just may be a diamond in the rough. Portis the other night agiant us exploded threw the holes. We don`t get that from Bettis and Staley, with Parker we do. He is definitley a nice change of pace.

slashsteel
08-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Well if Willie comes in and starts a few games, the future will be in his hands. Perform so well that the FO can't take you out as a starter I say.......... We will see what happens, but I like the look in Willie's eyes. ;)

Prosdo
08-28-2005, 07:23 PM
I like Parker, but it does make me a little nervous with only having Parker, Haynes, and maybe Herron. I do think Willie should be used more, but I would have prefered to have Bettis and Staley healthy or atleast one of the two.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Blitz we may not have a choice. I do understand your worries, I can feel it to. But I see Parker getting his snaps early and often this season. I am not bleaming the Steelers, because we were all excited when they picked up Duce. But man it sure looks like he is turning into an injury prone bust. Now we are stuck with him. Please prove me wrong Duce.

Yeah not having much of a choice is what worries me. I dont doubt parkes desire, his attitude, his work ethic or anything.. all Im worried about is having a healthy big back who can move the pile forward for that tough extra first down when we really need it. Parker can always bounce it outside or take it on a sweep too, which will be awesome but we have ALOT of plays that run between the tackles and even Jerome has tough times now and then moving the pile.

Here's to willie kickin ass all year for us,and the rest of our backs getting healthy!! :cheers: