PDA

View Full Version : Steelers silent about Bettis' MRI results..*****Updated 8/29

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2005, 01:30 AM
http://www.canada.com/sports/football/story.html?id=db685ae8-e135-412c-8fa1-a8e72b2e77f6

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Pittsburgh Steelers running back Jerome Bettis had an MRI test on his injured right calf on Saturday, but team officials did not update his condition.

Coach Bill Cowher prefers to personally make such injury-related announcements, and team spokesman Dave Lockett said Cowher isn't expected to update Bettis' condition until Monday. The Steelers finish their exhibition schedule Thursday night at Carolina.

Bettis, the No. 5 rusher in NFL history, apparently was injured while making a cut on a play-action fake in the first quarter of the Steelers' 17-10 pre-season loss Friday at Washington.

The Steelers wouldn't speculate how long Bettis would be out, but even if the injury is minor, he appears likely to miss the season opener Sept. 11 against Tennessee. If so, the Steelers probably would be without their top two running backs, Duce Staley and Bettis, for the opener.

Prosdo
08-28-2005, 03:16 AM
I don't like the news that he appears likely to miss the season opener. With our type of offense being such a run dominant having your two best backs out is a terrible blow. Let's hope Duce and the Bus will be ready to go soon.

clevestinks
08-28-2005, 05:39 AM
Okay, well who is available out there? I know there has to be a running back somewhere? I understand that we still have three descent back on the roster, but Haynes is always hurt, so its only a matter of time before he is sidelined. Within the next week or so, alot of players will be cut. I say we see who becomes available and pick them up.

TasmanianTroy271
08-28-2005, 09:45 AM
It wouldn't calm my nerves even if Cowher came out and said Bettis's injury was minor. Cowher pretty much needs a polygraph test when it comes to discussing injuries.

LambertIsGod58
08-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Looks like Parker will be the man...Maybe this is the chance he deserves instead of playing mop up.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2005, 10:40 AM
I must still be in the minority here, but having willie as our main starter still scares the hell outta me. For everthing awesome that he is, for being the gamebreaker that he is.. when you need that tough 2 yards to keep the clock running to finish out a game, I just dont know if he's ready for that yet..

TasmanianTroy271
08-28-2005, 10:43 AM
According to NFL.com, they're gonna update his condition tomorrow. Let's hope for the best...

SteelR1
08-28-2005, 10:56 AM
I would like to see Parker get a chance, but not under these conditions.....

I guess how it usually happens though!!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2005, 10:58 AM
According to NFL.com, they're gonna update his condition tomorrow. Let's hope for the best...

The Steelers usually dont say much about injuries until the following monday or tuesday at their weekly press conference anyways.. so knock on wood, as my heart is in my throat, Im hoping for nothing major

clevestinks
08-28-2005, 12:28 PM
If the Bus is fine! Do you still want him to start? Or should Willie shoulder the load, with Bettis coming in just like he would for Staley? I vote for the latter;

Justin Otstott
08-28-2005, 01:12 PM
I think Parker should start and Bettis get the short yards...kinda like how Duce an Bettis was last year.

LambertIsGod58
08-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Justin is right...Let Parker take most of the carries. Use Bettis on short yardage or Haynes.

LambertIsGod58
08-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Also, I'm not happy with Parker starting either. But with the hand we've been dealt, he is the BEST option. Trading for another RB to me is not the answer. Staley should be back relatively soon and I don't think Bettis's injury is serious.

Prosdo
08-28-2005, 07:17 PM
I have to say I am rather nervous about Willie starting. He has been doing very well don't get me wrong. I rather have Bettis healthy and Willie in the mix with him.

BigBen2WardPITT
08-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Look, parker deserves a chance he has played great against starters in the preseason and cowher is very high on the kid. He no longer should play mop up, he needs to start and be given a REAL chance. If it doesnt work out, i feel like we could STILL pull out a win against the titans...

Prosdo
08-28-2005, 07:36 PM
I agree Willie needs a shot, but look who is healthy behind him. Haynes (not really that healthy) and Herron. I rather have Bettis in there as his number 2.

TasmanianTroy271
08-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Why doesnt SteelersFever have any of those Reliable Sources like other news sites have? that way we could have some idea of what's up with Bettis. We need more creepy guys in Trench Coats lurking around St. Vincent., or in the Tackle Bags like in that one NFL merch commercial...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Ive already tried to creep into Heinz Field ina black trench coat..but it hasnt worked yet :D

The first person to find out any news on Jerome, be sure to post it up ASAP.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2005, 11:35 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05241/561871.stm

Monday, August 29, 2005
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The calf injury sustained by Jerome Bettis is not serious, but he will miss at least the next two weeks and leave the Steelers without their top two running backs for the start of the regular season.

That means Willie Parker, a second-year running back from North Carolina, is expected to start the season opener Sept. 11 against the Tennessee Titans.

Bettis had a magnetic resonance imaging Saturday, a day after his calf was injured in the first quarter of a 17-10 preseason loss to the Washington Redskins, but the results were inconclusive because Bettis had too much blood in his calf. It is possible he could have another MRI early this week.

The Steelers are already without Duce Staley, who has missed the entire preseason and probably won't return until at least Week 3 against the New England Patriots, and maybe longer. Coach Bill Cowher said last week he doesn't want to rush Staley back into the lineup, but he said that before Bettis was injured.

Parker has become the big-play back, registering runs of 50 yards or longer in each of his past two preseason games. After a 51-yard run in the first quarter against the Redskins -- his only carry of the game -- Parker was removed from the game because Cowher didn't want to risk injury to another of his running backs.

Cowher said he might even consider not using Parker in Thursday night's preseason finale in Carolina. The Steelers have only two other halfbacks on the roster -- third-down back Verron Haynes and rookie Noah Herron.

Prosdo
08-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Not very good news. Although it could have been worse I suppose. Hopefully Bettis and Staley will recover quickly.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2005, 12:27 AM
I was praying this wasnt any type of tear of major pull...hopefully the MRI they do this week wont reveal anything worse.