PDA

View Full Version : Article: Steelers will dethrone Patriots

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2005, 10:58 AM
http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-20/1125211429249320.xml

've seen enough of the NFL exhibition season to crawl out on a limb.

Aside from Philadelphia and Atlanta, the NFC again is the inferior conference. And the two-time defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots will not win Super Bowl XL in Detroit.

For starters, history is against the Patriots. No franchise has ever won three consecutive Super Bowls, but the reasons go much deeper than that.

Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel have departed for head coaching jobs at Notre Dame and with the Cleveland Browns.

Starting linebacker Tedy Bruschi suffered a stroke in the offseason and is out for the season; another starting linebacker, Ted Johnson, retired.

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts are poised to dethrone the Patriots in the AFC.

Three games loom large in the AFC race for home-field advantage. New England visits Pittsburgh on Sept. 25 Indianapolis plays the Patriots at Gillette Stadium on Nov. 7. And the Colts host the Steelers on Nov. 28.

Securing home-field advantage throughout the playoffs would go a long way in helping the Colts or Steelers achieve their goal, although Pittsburgh lost to the Patriots 41-27 in last season's AFC championship game at Heinz Field.

"I think there's a chance the Patriots could three-peat, but I wouldn't bet on them this year," said former Saints coach Jim Mora, now employed by Fox Sports radio and NFL Network. "You're talking about winning three in a row and four out of five years. With the way the league is set up these days with parity and all, and some of the personnel and coaching losses they've had, I just think the odds are against them.

"I think they're still going to be a good team. But I don't see them winning as many games as they have the last two years (34, including 6-0 in the playoffs). Plus, I don't see the same motivation and hunger being there. The bottom line is I just don't think they can pull it off again."

Michael Smith, senior writer for ESPN.com and former Patriots beat writer for the Boston Globe, disagrees. In his opinion, it's hard to bet against New England.

"If they stay healthy, they can be very, very good," Smith said. "This team is built for the playoffs. Can they go 14-2 again? Probably not. A lot of teams win back-to-back Super Bowls. But what's remarkable to me is they have gone 14-2 the past two years and won 34 games the past two years.

"They'll make the playoffs barring injuries to a player like Tom Brady. And I think they're better equipped than any team to consecutively win three or four playoff games. They play good defense; all Bill Belichick teams play good defense. They have the experience, and their quarterback hasn't lost in the playoffs. Plus, they can run the ball with Corey Dillon. And they've got a great field-goal kicker in Adam Vinatieri, who's made a living making clutch kicks."

Smith said the Patriots have all the components to excel in the postseason.

"They can score 40 points if they need to, and they can win a close game if they need to," Smith said. "That's what it really comes down to. If the Patriots get in the playoffs, how do you bet against them?"

Watch me.

I like the Steelers to win it all.

The Saints will be 9-7 and make the playoffs as a wild card.

Book it.

clevestinks
08-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Wishful thinking! I hope and pray this to be the case. A ring would be great. But for every opinion in our favor, there are 31 others for everyone else.

Opinions are like @$$holes! Everyone has one. LOL

SteelR1
08-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Wishful thinking! I hope and pray this to be the case. A ring would be great. But for every opinion in our favor, there are 31 others for everyone else.

Opinions are like @$$holes! Everyone has one. LOL

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! Well maybe not, I dont think the 49ers are saying this,, LOL

Dirtywater
08-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Are you guys reserving your hotel rooms yet again? j/k :D

hardwork
08-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Sure, we have some problem solving to do this year. And sure, we may not be able to solve those problems well enough to take another SB. However, that doesn't mean it goes to the Steelers, or the Colts. Neither of those two teams have provided any evidence that they can win during crunch time. Until they do that, it's all talk.

clevestinks
08-28-2005, 01:30 PM

Not on your life! We aint that stupid. Or at least we won`t tell you guys! LOL

clevestinks
08-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Sure, we have some problem solving to do this year. And sure, we may not be able to solve those problems well enough to take another SB. However, that doesn't mean it goes to the Steelers, or the Colts. Neither of those two teams have provided any evidence that they can win during crunch time. Until they do that, it's all talk.

Agreed talk is cheap! But it is the Blast Furnace! Only problem is our 1st offense hasn`t scored a td yet. So its time to zip it up. For now.

hardwork
08-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah, well if our 1st offense hadn't gotten a TD yet I'd be a little nervous to. However, I don't know how good that big young QB of yours is, but he's better then that.

clevestinks
08-29-2005, 04:54 PM
Yeah, well if our 1st offense hadn't gotten a TD yet I'd be a little nervous to. However, I don't know how good that big young QB of yours is, but he's better then that.

Yeah I hope he`ll be fine. The defense will keep us in games.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Yeah he is better than that..he knows it, we know it..but damn, I was just hoping he'd show it in preseason alittle too!

With the pats maybe coming back to the pack alittle more this year in terms of another SB appearance.. its wide open.. Steelers, colts, jets, chargers, pats.. they all have a legit shot in one form or another.

clevestinks
08-30-2005, 11:10 AM
The Pats are picking up a few helpful free agents.

dropKickMurphy
08-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Brian Allee-Walsh
The New Orleans Times-Picayune
-----
I've seen enough of the NFL exhibition season to crawl out on a limb.....

...or even out on a roof?

Personally, I think this guy's all wet....

Suitanim
09-01-2005, 07:16 PM
The Patriots have been media darlings for so long that the team and the fans are starting to believe their own myths...They shouldn't have had the "Tuck rule" decision go in their favor, so should not have been in their first SB, let alone win it, and it's all gone downhill from there.

Big Ben gave them the game last year. Not his fault, but call an ace an ace and a spade a spade. If Ben doesn't wing all those INT's, the Steelers win that game and go on to beat Philly in the SB.

Fine, they won 3-4 SB's. But to think that a 4th is going to happen this year is to drink the kool aid. Just losing the OC and DC is enough, but they've had enough other weird stuff happen to guarantee no threepeat...I know they won't win their division, and the question is if they even have enough juice to clinch a wildcard spot?

Livinginthe past
09-02-2005, 02:57 PM
The Patriots have been media darlings for so long that the team and the fans are starting to believe their own myths...They shouldn't have had the "Tuck rule" decision go in their favor, so should not have been in their first SB, let alone win it, and it's all gone downhill from there.

Big Ben gave them the game last year. Not his fault, but call an ace an ace and a spade a spade. If Ben doesn't wing all those INT's, the Steelers win that game and go on to beat Philly in the SB.

Fine, they won 3-4 SB's. But to think that a 4th is going to happen this year is to drink the kool aid. Just losing the OC and DC is enough, but they've had enough other weird stuff happen to guarantee no threepeat...I know they won't win their division, and the question is if they even have enough juice to clinch a wildcard spot?

Hey Suitanim,

Congratulations on an incredibly insightful post.

I feel like I have just read a regurgitated version of all the tripe that has been on other teams forums for the last few months.

Are you a Raider fan by any chance?

The Tuck rule was a good call - im wondering if you have even seen the replays proving that it was the correct call and also showing that the officials missed a slap to the helmet of Tom Brady that was a significant factor in him losing the ball (temporarily)

Im mostly laughing as I read the rest of your post - them comments about Ben show a 6 year olds understanding of the game which can be summed up by the following - "well sheesh if ya took away all the other teams points...then we woulda won!! "

As for your in depth analysis of the reasons why we wont win this year (winning 3/4 apparently can be easily dismissed) it is the recycled rubbish that has been on other teams forums since the off season started.

And, as for 'knowing' they wont win their division - why dont you put some money where your mouth is - lets see you bet to that effect online.

Luckily most of the Steeler fans have the class to acknowledge that the Pats are the best team in the league until someone proves different...and all the 'knowledge' in that brain of yours is worth diddly.

Cheers

NM

Suitanim
09-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Hey Suitanim,

Congratulations on an incredibly insightful post.

I feel like I have just read a regurgitated version of all the tripe that has been on other teams forums for the last few months.

Are you a Raider fan by any chance?

The Tuck rule was a good call - im wondering if you have even seen the replays proving that it was the correct call and also showing that the officials missed a slap to the helmet of Tom Brady that was a significant factor in him losing the ball (temporarily)

Im mostly laughing as I read the rest of your post - them comments about Ben show a 6 year olds understanding of the game which can be summed up by the following - "well sheesh if ya took away all the other teams points...then we woulda won!! "

As for your in depth analysis of the reasons why we wont win this year (winning 3/4 apparently can be easily dismissed) it is the recycled rubbish that has been on other teams forums since the off season started.

And, as for 'knowing' they wont win their division - why dont you put some money where your mouth is - lets see you bet to that effect online.

Luckily most of the Steeler fans have the class to acknowledge that the Pats are the best team in the league until someone proves different...and all the 'knowledge' in that brain of yours is worth diddly.

Cheers

NM
Tripe? Why? Because it's not Pro-Pats? Here is an example of tripe...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4824606

The tuck rule. The NFL had to create a rule to cover what happened on that ill-fated day, but it was the correct call? A call had to be made, it could have been called either way, and, shockingly, because it went your way, it coincidentally happens to be the correct call. I've seen that play a hundred times, and every single time my stomach churns. I'm no Raider fan, but I do hate whatever team the media nuthugs the most, and the Pats are the Yankee's of the NFL.

You are reading too deeply into the rest of it...I'm simply stating that a lucky bounce here, and a lucky bounce there, and NE wins 3-4 SB's...but the luck has run out. Are the Pats the defending Champs? Yes. Does that make them the best team in the NFL this year? Only until kickoff of week one, and then the slate is wiped clean and everybody starts from scratch again. I find it laughable that the arrogant Noreastern fans can't admit that the end might be near. The signs are all there...

As for the bet, sure, I'll lay $10 out right now. NE will not win their division.
This is a sucker bet, though, because I've made these kinds of bets before and not ONCE has the loser manned up and paid..usually they just disappear.

Livinginthe past
09-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Tripe? Why? Because it's not Pro-Pats? Here is an example of tripe...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4824606

The tuck rule. The NFL had to create a rule to cover what happened on that ill-fated day, but it was the correct call? A call had to be made, it could have been called either way, and, shockingly, because it went your way, it coincidentally happens to be the correct call. I've seen that play a hundred times, and every single time my stomach churns. I'm no Raider fan, but I do hate whatever team the media nuthugs the most, and the Pats are the Yankee's of the NFL.

You are reading too deeply into the rest of it...I'm simply stating that a lucky bounce here, and a lucky bounce there, and NE wins 3-4 SB's...but the luck has run out. Are the Pats the defending Champs? Yes. Does that make them the best team in the NFL this year? Only until kickoff of week one, and then the slate is wiped clean and everybody starts from scratch again. I find it laughable that the arrogant Noreastern fans can't admit that the end might be near. The signs are all there...

As for the bet, sure, I'll lay $10 out right now. NE will not win their division.
This is a sucker bet, though, because I've made these kinds of bets before and not ONCE has the loser manned up and paid..usually they just disappear.

Suitanim,

I have been down this road a few times on one forum and another - we all have our opinions but maybe we should have some sort of factual basis before we start stating our opinions as 'knowledge'.

I am not going to get too deeply into this 'tuck rule' thing as it has been revisited more times than I care to remember - it was also a long time ago. (Also, the fact the you call it an 'ill-fated day' lays your preferences right out in the open)

As for the Media, it has been quite clear from the outset that most of the mainline outlets (such as ESPN) were quite happy for the 'plucky' 'courageous' Patriots to reach the SB against the Rams - but when they failed to read the script - one that had them getting beat up and put in football intensive care - the media pundits turned against them.

Now I am quite sure everyone on this forum has had quite enough of Pats fan whining about how they get 'no respect' - so I wont bother - suffice to say the doom-mongers have been predicting a fall in the Patriots fortunes for the last 3 seasons with increasing desperation.

Are you seriously saying that the only reason the Pats have won 3/4 SB's is a 'lucky bounce here and there'??

And if so, what proof do you have that this luck has run out?

FYI - the Patriots have had an unparalleled amount of injuries over the last couple of years and managed to cope...is this more of the 'good luck' you ascribe to us?

Im glad to see you have taken your BB 101 - all the talk of everyone starting with a 'clean slate' may be factually correct in a literal sense - but lets be honest here - the teams that were good last year have a good chance of being good this year dont they?

Im pretty sure that the Colts, Steelers, and Eagles will all be decent teams this year - but that is purely based on what I saw last year....and the year before that....and the year before that....

Im not sure what signs you have been seeing - do 'corncircles' constitute proof of the Pats imminent demise...hmm maybe maybe not....an Alien invasion can really screw with your pre-game planning!

I wont welch on the bet we made...you tell me a way we can make it happen over the net...and I am there.

Cheers

NM

SteelCityMan786
09-03-2005, 10:20 PM

We don't count our Damn Chickens early you bitch :busted: :chair: No NFL team has won three straight. The Patriots won't do it.

Dirtywater
09-03-2005, 11:51 PM
We don't count our Damn Chickens early you bitch :busted: :chair: No NFL team has won three straight. The Patriots won't do it.

Hey man, did you notice the "j/k"? That stands for 'just kidding'. Also, there is precident for it, hence the joke. No need for the personal insults.

Guys, what's going on here lately? This was the best Steelers forum for a reason, is that now changing? Are the lot of other posters (ie. kids who like to act like punks) now turning up because the season is approaching? It would be nice of some of the regulars could help keep this kind of nonsense in line.

Thanks.

DW

Suitanim
09-04-2005, 08:22 AM
Yes, I admit...I don't like the Patriots...but this is a smack forum, dude, so why do I need to present anything but my biased opinions?

Also, don't presume anything..."BB 101"? I've been a prolific poster on Steelers Message Boards for damned near 8 years...Just not this one.

clevestinks
09-04-2005, 09:13 AM
I`m hoping the Pats aren`t the first, Pat Rileys lol. But they are in line. Once again I don`t think the NFC is the answer, they just seem to weak, Philly is a time bomb waiting to blow. So if we don`t want to see a three peat, a.k.a. Pat Riley, they talk is cheap. The Steelers have to beat the Pats. The Pats seem to play mistake free for the most part. They are beatable at times, and will continue to be, but they are to smart or professional of a team to beat themselves. WE will have to beat them.

Livinginthe past
09-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Yes, I admit...I don't like the Patriots...but this is a smack forum, dude, so why do I need to present anything but my biased opinions?

Also, don't presume anything..."BB 101"? I've been a prolific poster on Steelers Message Boards for damned near 8 years...Just not this one.

Im fine with you not liking the Pats for whatever reason - but just because its the smack forum we dont have to check our brains in at the cloakroom!

If you can pick weaknesses with the Pats that actually exist outside your head - then all is well and good.

But, if the best you can manage is homosexual references to our starting QB then you might aswell be Raider fan!

Cheers

NM

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-04-2005, 01:12 PM
I agree that the Pats don't get much respect.. unless of course if you happen to live up here.. in which case people, think they are the recarnation of the 70's Steelers or the 80's Niners. The reason they have won in tha past is simple.. coaching (just look what Weis did to the panthers) and Adam V. This year, having watched all their pre-season games.. it appears they are unable to stop anyone form running.. couple that with the loss of both their offense and defensive coordinators. These are the reasons why they will not only NOT win this year's superbowl.. but they won't even make it to the superbowl.

Livinginthe past
09-04-2005, 03:15 PM
I agree that the Pats don't get much respect.. unless of course if you happen to live up here.. in which case people, think they are the recarnation of the 70's Steelers or the 80's Niners. The reason they have won in tha past is simple.. coaching (just look what Weis did to the panthers) and Adam V. This year, having watched all their pre-season games.. it appears they are unable to stop anyone form running.. couple that with the loss of both their offense and defensive coordinators. These are the reasons why they will not only NOT win this year's superbowl.. but they won't even make it to the superbowl.

Who have you been watching running on us exactly?

The Bengals managed 116 yards on 29 carries for a 4.0 avg - im well aware that Rudy ran for 40 of those on just 6 carries...but new players take time to adjust to a complicated system such as the Patriots.

New Orleans kept alot of their 1st string matched up against our 3rd but still only managed a 4.0 avg - for the record our 3rd choice RB ran for 88yds on 11 carries - but you dont hear about a run stopping crisis in N.O. do ya?

In the last game that held any signicance (with the involvement of the 1st string) we held Ahman Green to just 23 yards on 11 carries - im sure you will agree he is no scrub.

You cant win with just coaching either can you?

I mean you dont believe this honestly do you?

You have to have the whole package - talent, depth, attitude and coaching.....if you are missing one of these then you are likely to fail.

The co-ordinator situation will have to be monitored to see how deeply we are going to be affected - maybe a whole lot...maybe not much..who really knows?

Im sure we will make the playoffs- but I wont be placing any money on us winning the whole thing just yet.....maybe in week 3 I will consider us shoo-ins ha ha.

NM

SteelCityMan786
09-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey man, did you notice the "j/k"? That stands for 'just kidding'. Also, there is precident for it, hence the joke. No need for the personal insults.

Guys, what's going on here lately? This was the best Steelers forum for a reason, is that now changing? Are the lot of other posters (ie. kids who like to act like punks) now turning up because the season is approaching? It would be nice of some of the regulars could help keep this kind of nonsense in line.

Thanks.

DW

Dude, I only did that cuz ur a Patriots fan. This a BLAST FURNACE. This is a Smack Talk Zone. Did you read the sign. And I am not acting like a punk. I am a kid standing up for my team. Every man women and child are entitled to an opinion. If you wanna bash us so bad go to the Patriots Boards

Dirtywater
09-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Dude, I only did that cuz ur a Patriots fan. This a BLAST FURNACE. This is a Smack Talk Zone. Did you read the sign. And I am not acting like a punk. I am a kid standing up for my team. Every man women and child are entitled to an opinion. If you wanna bash us so bad go to the Patriots Boards

.. but thats just it, I don't want to bash you so bad. And I don't so I don't know where the hostility is coming from. And watch what you wish for. My money is on the people that run this site like having a diverse community. Not to nice to ask us to leave, IMHO.

bengalsfan21
09-05-2005, 01:31 AM
I hate to say this but the Steelers won't dethrone nobody with the 6-10 record that is coming to you maybe even a 7-9 :busted:

Livinginthe past
09-05-2005, 04:10 AM

Like I said in another thread - just because its the Blast Furnace - no need to check your brain in at the cloakroom!

If you have a real need to talk like a kid on a sugar overdose - why dont you change allegience to the Raiders?

They have plenty of supporters who think posting the word 'bitch' and following it with a dumb emoticon makes for decent smack......

Cheers

NM

SteelCityMan786
09-05-2005, 12:36 PM
No, I don't think it is decent smack to use the word 'bitch'. That was just me failing to control myself.

SteelCityMan786
09-05-2005, 12:42 PM
.. but thats just it, I don't want to bash you so bad. And I don't so I don't know where the hostility is coming from. And watch what you wish for. My money is on the people that run this site like having a diverse community. Not to nice to ask us to leave, IMHO.

How about we call this a truce. This fight is going no where. I know your a Patroits fan in all but If I keep this going I am going to get people ticked off.

bengalsfan21
09-05-2005, 12:51 PM
How about we call this a truce. This fight is going no where. I know your a Patroits fan in all but If I keep this going I am going to get people ticked off.

I agree, some how I got neg repped from something posted in the blast furnace :boxing: ....If this is going to piss ppl off then just drop the thread!!

bigbensgirl7
09-05-2005, 12:54 PM
I hate to say this but the Steelers won't dethrone nobody with the 6-10 record that is coming to you maybe even a 7-9 :busted:
I think you're getting the Steelers record next year confused with your precious Bengals. Mark my words...the Steelers will not have a losing record sweetie!

bengalsfan21
09-05-2005, 12:58 PM
I think you're getting the Steelers record next year confused with your precious Bengals. Mark my words...the Steelers will not have a losing record sweetie!

I just think the Browns will move ahead of you at one point in the league :sweating:

Dirtywater
09-05-2005, 12:59 PM

All good. (now here are the requisite 10 characters so I can post, lol)

SteelCityMan786
09-05-2005, 02:22 PM
I agree, some how I got neg repped from something posted in the blast furnace :boxing: ....If this is going to piss ppl off then just drop the thread!!

You got the negative rep for the Steelers Record Prediction. Which BBG is right the record you predicted for the steelers is the record for the pussinaiti bungles. Our Boys are at least 12-4 or better. :busted: :busted: :busted:

Livinginthe past
09-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Again with the negative rep......

Why are people so obsessed about it?

I could care less what rep I got - some posters have 15 rep after 20 posts purely because they have the word Pittsburgh somewhere in their name!

I personally think 'rep' was one of the worst inventions on forums - its totally redundant for the most part.

NM

Prosdo
09-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Again with the negative rep......

Why are people so obsessed about it?

I could care less what rep I got - some posters have 15 rep after 20 posts purely because they have the word Pittsburgh somewhere in their name!

I personally think 'rep' was one of the worst inventions on forums - its totally redundant for the most part.

NM

Rep can go either way. Sometimes its good because people can see who writes good posts, but it also can be bad because some people use it the wrong way.

bigbensgirl7
09-05-2005, 04:49 PM
I like the rep but I don't think anyone should negative rep someone in the BF just because they disagree with their opinions. Every once is entitled to their own opinions and no one should be punished for saying them

Prosdo
09-05-2005, 05:50 PM
I like the rep but I don't think anyone should negative rep someone in the BF just because they disagree with their opinions. Every once is entitled to their own opinions and no one should be punished for saying them

I agree. The only time I could see negative repping in the blast furance is when it's a troll. Other than that I wouldn't.

bigbensgirl7
09-05-2005, 05:53 PM
yah...trolls don't deserve any respect!

SteelCityMan786
09-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Trolls should get NO RESPECT! NO RESPECT AT ALL WHEN THEY TICK US OFF IN THIS AREA OF SMACK.

Livinginthe past
09-05-2005, 06:27 PM
My point would be - how much does your average troll care about rep?

I have seen a few on this site - and they mainly post some totally inane rubbish - then leave - maybe to return with a new nic and more inane rubbish.

Anyway I can tell who produces good posts - by reading them - Prosdo, Bigbensgirl, Clevestinks....erm that livinginthe past dude ha ha - the proof is in the pudding my fellow posters.

Cheers

NM

Prosdo
09-05-2005, 06:35 PM

I have seen a few on this site - and they mainly post some totally inane rubbish - then leave - maybe to return with a new nic and more inane rubbish.

Anyway I can tell who produces good posts - by reading them - Prosdo, Bigbensgirl, Clevestinks....erm that livinginthe past dude ha ha - the proof is in the pudding my fellow posters.

Cheers

NM

lol Yeah that livinginthepast dude not sure about him...j/k. Your posts always have good football knowledge and insight in them.

Livinginthe past
09-05-2005, 07:49 PM
lol Yeah that livinginthepast dude not sure about him...j/k. Your posts always have good football knowledge and insight in them.

Likewise Prosdo!

I enjoy posting here - despite the tough start to your campaign (injuries, holdouts, underperforming rookies) I am impressed with the realistic yet upbeat attitude of the posters here.

Here's to a cracking pair of seasons - regular-season and post-season!

cheers

NM

bigbensgirl7
09-05-2005, 08:14 PM

Cheers

NM
thank you living...Your a pretty cool guy for a Pats fan!!! :cool:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-06-2005, 09:49 PM

Cheers

NM

Well damn, I see how I rate around here!! :kick: :grin:

ironcitychef
09-08-2005, 01:51 AM
I can tell who produces good posts - by reading them - Prosdo, Bigbensgirl, Clevestinks....erm that livinginthe past dude ha ha - the proof is in the pudding my fellow posters.

Me too, I know I've been busy and haven't been around, where is that neg rep button?....LOL, Anyways, since it kicks off tonight, good luck to everyone's team.

Livinginthe past
09-08-2005, 02:01 AM
Me too, I know I've been busy and haven't been around, where is that neg rep button?....LOL, Anyways, since it kicks off tonight, good luck to everyone's team.

Uh oh....look guys the ones I listed were just the first ones to hand...honest...dont bad rep your friendly pats troll ha ha!

Good luck to the EVERYONES team....I wont start listing them...in case I leave someone out ha ha :rolleyes:

Cheers

NM

ironcitychef
09-08-2005, 02:07 AM
Thanks...I'll let you know how you guys represent fan wise down here in Florida. Word is NE, PHI, and PIT are the big draws.

hardwork
09-13-2005, 09:24 PM
You live in Florida Chef?

BTW, if I asked you to cook me up a couple of one-eyes, would you know what I meant?

SteelCityMan786
09-14-2005, 02:56 PM

Cheers

NM

That's good you don't care if you got a negative rep. Let's all give this guy negative rep. JK :laughing:

clevestinks
09-14-2005, 03:22 PM
It is also good for us to hear a unbiased opinion about our beloved Steelers. It is easy to get caught up in the wins and great plays. Sometimes we need reminded about the bad plays, bad players, and the other good teams. Livinginthepast is always welcome!

ironcitychef
09-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Sorry been away a while...here's the update...Ne vs Oak was a pro Oakland crowd. Not many "visible" Pats fans. While the Raiders shot themselves in the foot again with penalties, pretty quiet out on the floor. Sunday was a huge PIT crowd, in fact they were causing trouble with our booth limits as I don't know how ten can fit in a booth for 6 max? NYJ jerseys and GB jerseys were the next color choices. Monday night was a huge showing for the EAGLES. but the fans were way too excited(read "drunk") as every handoff or completed pass was somehow deserving of the ol' E-A-G-L-E-S cheer. Thurman thomas was in on Sunday, Chris Doering was in on Monday, and Jerry Stackhouse was in Monday night but as a eater. As for one eyes, I can only think of dead eyes in my words which are poached which if I had eggs and vinegar, we are in business.

tony hipchest
04-11-2006, 10:42 PM
damn. i never read this. an oldie but goodie FROM SEPTEMBER OF LAST YEAR:http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-20/1125211429249320.xml

've seen enough of the NFL exhibition season to crawl out on a limb.

Aside from Philadelphia and Atlanta, the NFC again is the inferior conference. And the two-time defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots will not win Super Bowl XL in Detroit.

For starters, history is against the Patriots. No franchise has ever won three consecutive Super Bowls, but the reasons go much deeper than that.

Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel have departed for head coaching jobs at Notre Dame and with the Cleveland Browns.

Starting linebacker Tedy Bruschi suffered a stroke in the offseason and is out for the season; another starting linebacker, Ted Johnson, retired.

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts are poised to dethrone the Patriots in the AFC.

Three games loom large in the AFC race for home-field advantage. New England visits Pittsburgh on Sept. 25 Indianapolis plays the Patriots at Gillette Stadium on Nov. 7. And the Colts host the Steelers on Nov. 28.

Securing home-field advantage throughout the playoffs would go a long way in helping the Colts or Steelers achieve their goal, although Pittsburgh lost to the Patriots 41-27 in last season's AFC championship game at Heinz Field.

"I think there's a chance the Patriots could three-peat, but I wouldn't bet on them this year," said former Saints coach Jim Mora, now employed by Fox Sports radio and NFL Network. "You're talking about winning three in a row and four out of five years. With the way the league is set up these days with parity and all, and some of the personnel and coaching losses they've had, I just think the odds are against them.

"I think they're still going to be a good team. But I don't see them winning as many games as they have the last two years (34, including 6-0 in the playoffs). Plus, I don't see the same motivation and hunger being there. The bottom line is I just don't think they can pull it off again."

Michael Smith, senior writer for ESPN.com and former Patriots beat writer for the Boston Globe, disagrees. In his opinion, it's hard to bet against New England.

"If they stay healthy, they can be very, very good," Smith said. "This team is built for the playoffs. Can they go 14-2 again? Probably not. A lot of teams win back-to-back Super Bowls. But what's remarkable to me is they have gone 14-2 the past two years and won 34 games the past two years.

"They'll make the playoffs barring injuries to a player like Tom Brady. And I think they're better equipped than any team to consecutively win three or four playoff games. They play good defense; all Bill Belichick teams play good defense. They have the experience, and their quarterback hasn't lost in the playoffs. Plus, they can run the ball with Corey Dillon. And they've got a great field-goal kicker in Adam Vinatieri, who's made a living making clutch kicks."

Smith said the Patriots have all the components to excel in the postseason.

"They can score 40 points if they need to, and they can win a close game if they need to," Smith said. "That's what it really comes down to. If the Patriots get in the playoffs, how do you bet against them?"

Watch me.

I like the Steelers to win it all.

The Saints will be 9-7 and make the playoffs as a wild card.

Book it.

m. smith sure is a homer. pertaining to the 06 season, i like the part about dillon being able to run the ball and vinatieri there to kick. the author was wrong on atlanta, eagles and saints but got it right where it mattered.

DiggetyDank
04-18-2006, 10:30 AM
This was a great article, and the posts after the fact were hilarious - especially the ones by the Pats fans.

Question: Livingin the Past, how the **** does a Patriots fan get over 1000 posts in a Steelers forum? Is it because we're less obnoxious than Pats fans? If that's the case, I understand. I mean sweet zombie Jesus, you just come off like a weirdo or a masochist otherwise, unless the Steelers are your second favorite team. There's also the possibility that you're the most long-winded troll ever. Also, just out of curiosity - are you a member in any other teams forums?

clevestinks
04-18-2006, 10:59 AM
This was a great article, and the posts after the fact were hilarious - especially the ones by the Pats fans.

Question: Livingin the Past, how the **** does a Patriots fan get over 1000 posts in a Steelers forum? Is it because we're less obnoxious than Pats fans? If that's the case, I understand. I mean sweet zombie Jesus, you just come off like a weirdo or a masochist otherwise, unless the Steelers are your second favorite team. There's also the possibility that you're the most long-winded troll ever. Also, just out of curiosity - are you a member in any other teams forums?
LITO loves us! He also has a Ben Jersey I`m told:sofunny:

Livinginthe past
04-18-2006, 11:07 AM

Hey Diggety,

Its been a while since ive had to field this question.

I came over originally in the pre-season last year because there was a real rivalry building up between the Steelers and Patriots - with both teams reaching their peaks at a similar time and I was sure there would be another post-season match up in the pipeline.

I enjoyed my time here, it was refreshing to get some opinions of non-Patriot fans on the NFL so I decided to stay on for a while longer.

Plus, I regard the Patriots recent success as being based on the model of the Rooney led Pittsburgh franchise, the building of a team through good draft selection and the picking of good character players above over hyped publicity hounds.

I do like what the Pittsburgh Steelers stand for and how they have achieved it.

I post on Patfans.com and lasted the pre-season on Raiderfans.net before being booted off by overzealous, hypocritical mods who like to dish out smack but can't take it.

I'll leave it up to other people to decide whether they think I am a troll or not.

Hope that answers your questions.

NM

Livinginthe past
04-18-2006, 11:09 AM
LITO loves us! He also has a Ben Jersey I`m told:sofunny:

Now I know I admitted to the Steelers Dynasty bedroom wallpaper, but I cannot believe I let it slip about the Big Ben PJ's!

That had to be some kinda lucky guess Cleve.

NM

DiggetyDank
04-18-2006, 03:52 PM
I didn't mean to imply that you're a troll, just joking around - you're obviously not. Thanks for the clarification.

3 to be 4
04-19-2006, 09:20 PM
deep down anybody over 40 who loved football in the 70's has to be somewhat of a Steelers fan. If for nothing else the uniforms, the best in the NFL by far. I know this Patriot fan could only dream of having a team that could win multiple Super Bowls and to have it come true after all the hard years is made only sweeter by the great teams that preceeded us like the Steelers. The way both current editions run their business make it quite likely that the Patriots and Steelers will up the ante on their rivalry this year. I can see them battling out through the decade like the Giants and 49ers did (80's) or Lakers and Celtics in the NBA in the 80's or Cowboys and 49ers in the 90's.