PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Lose Bockwoldt to 49ers

83-Steelers-43
03-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Steelers lose free agent Bockwoldt to 49ers
By The Associated Press
Tuesday, March 20, 2007

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- Linebacker Colby Bockwoldt signed with the San Francisco 49ers today.

Bockwoldt played mostly on special teams for Tennessee last season after two years with the New Orleans Saints, starting 16 games in 2005.

The Titans and the Pittsburgh Steelers also hoped to sign him, but Bockwoldt chose to reunite with 49ers special teams coordinator Al Everest, his coach in New Orleans for two years.

Bockwoldt is the fifth free-agent defensive player to join the 49ers in March, along with cornerback Nate Clements, safety Michael Lewis, defensive lineman Aubrayo Franklin and linebacker Tully Banta-Cain.

San Francisco also re-signed three of its own free agents: defensive end Bryant Young, cornerback Donald Strickland and linebacker Hannibal Navies.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_498543.html

Livinginthe past
03-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Yopu would have to think that Bockwold has a much higher chance of seeing playing time in a poor D like the 49ers compared to the Steelers.

19ward86
03-20-2007, 08:52 AM
this means lawrence timmons will be drafted with the 15th pick of the draft.

coachspeak33
03-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Is anybody else as concerned as me about Timmons?????
- He had a forgetful combine
- He followed that up with an overweight and slow pro-day at FSU (4.67-40, 13 lbs overweight)
- Maybe the biggest negative of all....Drew Freakin Rosenhaus is his agent

Why the hell would you draft a guy that will probably be "unsignable" after his 1st contract is up....

I dunno if it was this site or another that pointed out:
- Tomlin was at Timmons pro day
- Tomlin was the only NFL HC there

As my good buddy Myron Cope used to say...."Thats a stinky, No, a double-stinky!!!!"

Buzz05
03-20-2007, 09:41 AM
- He followed that up with an overweight and slow pro-day at FSU (4.67-40, 13 lbs overweight)

Why the hell would you draft a guy that will probably be "unsignable" after his 1st contract is up...."

If 2 negatives dont make a positive...then 3 big fat negatives equals stay the hell away!

I would still love to see Poz but the more I am thinking about it and looking into the draft the more I dont think it would happen..But Timmons it seems just wont be a good fit...Overweight Linebackers are never a good fit with any teams..especially the Steelers that thrives on speed and agility.

DACEB
03-20-2007, 10:08 AM
I could be very wrong, but I don't see us drafting Timmons now. Nothing to do with the negative workout results, I just don't see where he fits at this point in time. I think it's obvious that we are not switching to the 4-3 at this point in time. With the discussion of Keisel to OLB, which I think makes sense, it would seem to me that building toward the 4-3 from the D-line back would be a smoother transition. To get a 4-3 LB at this point without having the guys up front just doesn't make sense to me. I think they will go after an OLB not the usual DE/OLB for the 3-4 at some point in the draft but someone with more size, maybe S. Bradley (OLB Neb.). Poz is starting to make more sense to me also, for the simple reason I think he could play inside for now and outside later and provide depth at both.

Maybe Tomlin was at the workout just to see for himself what Timmons has to offer. I would say Tomlin would know better than any on the staff what he wants from a LB in HIS scheme, and whether Timmons could help now.

Livinginthe past
03-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Poor tangibles at work outs and combines may mean that he will be available in the early stages of 2nd round - maybe the Steelers will be able to get him without investing a 1st rounder and only need to trade up for their 2nd pick.

Buzz05
03-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Poor tangibles at work outs and combines may mean that he will be available in the early stages of 2nd round - maybe the Steelers will be able to get him without investing a 1st rounder and only need to trade up for their 2nd pick.

That could be a possibility. I mean trade up in the the second round, we would only be giving up our 2nd round and a late round pick. Does anyone know if we get those Compensatory Picks again this year?

ajs8207
03-20-2007, 10:38 AM
That could be a possibility. I mean trade up in the the second round, we would only be giving up our 2nd round and a late round pick. Does anyone know if we get those Compensatory Picks again this year?

Yeah we should get one for Randle El and one for Kimo, and maybe one other one that I cant remember right now.

FeaR #83
03-20-2007, 10:40 AM
whats up with the '9ers they are buying anyone whos on the damn FA!

and whats more for over the top prices!

ChronoCross
03-20-2007, 11:04 AM

Between the 49ers, Bucs, and Pats,, they all bought up a lot of the FA.

Livinginthe past
03-20-2007, 11:54 AM

Buzz,

Here is a link to a thread I posted in the Draft Forum regarding the predicted Comp. picks.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15783

If this guys calculations are right (and they normally are by all accounts) Pittsburgh should be in line for an extra 4th (Hope) and an extra 5th (Randle El).

You can't trade away comp. picks but you could trade away your existing picks in the 4th and 5th rounds instead.

Livinginthe past
03-20-2007, 11:56 AM

The 49er started FA with a hell of alot of cap room due to cuts they have made over the last few years.

Their D is very weak - hence the FA moves.

As much as teams should build through the draft, success often takes a year or two - fans and the media these days rarely grant HC's a year or two's grace to turn things round.

FeaR #83
03-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Between the 49ers, Bucs, and Pats,, they all bought up a lot of the FA.

lol

Bucs only seemed to go for players over the age of 40 :toofunny: (except June, who they shouldnt of got coming from the weakside of team with a terrible run defense)

and I realised the '9ers had a shit load of cap room, but there was no need to give Clements the contract he got if im honest Clements wouldnt even hit my top 5 CB's in the NFL right now!

Livinginthe past
03-20-2007, 12:47 PM
lol

Bucs only seemed to go for players over the age of 40 :toofunny: (except June, who they shouldnt of got coming from the weakside of team with a terrible run defense)

and I realised the '9ers had a shit load of cap room, but there was no need to give Clements the contract he got if im honest Clements wouldnt even hit my top 5 CB's in the NFL right now!

The real value of Clements contract is actually nowhere near the agent-inflated $80million/8 year deal.

It actually pans out at $63million/7 years - which still isn't exactly a bargain but not as crazy as $10million a year.

Out of interst who are your top 5 CB's? - I can guess you will have Champ Bailey at No.1.

FeaR #83
03-20-2007, 12:58 PM
The real value of Clements contract is actually nowhere near the agent-inflated $80million/8 year deal.

It actually pans out at $63million/7 years - which still isn't exactly a bargain but not as crazy as $10million a year.

Out of interst who are your top 5 CB's? - I can guess you will have Champ Bailey at No.1.

pfft Champ no matter how much I hate the Broncos he is no. 1,

no. 2 Ronde Barber

and no. 3Lito Sheppard (that Bledsoe int against the 'Boys and his Panthers INT were simply awesome)

no. 4 would have to be DeAngelo Hall

No. 5, Townsend... what im allowed a homer pick and hes by far my fave CB in Black and Gold! :helmet:

dhosmer
03-20-2007, 01:00 PM
dewayne washington is #2

Atlanta Dan
03-20-2007, 01:01 PM

Why the hell would you draft a guy that will probably be "unsignable" after his 1st contract is up....

I dunno if it was this site or another that pointed out:
- Tomlin was at Timmons pro day
- Tomlin was the only NFL HC there

As my good buddy Myron Cope used to say...."Thats a stinky, No, a double-stinky!!!!"

Sounds like the second coming of Huey Richardson to me - for those who do not remember, Richardson was a pass rushing LB from Florida who was the last #1 pick of the Noll era (#15 overall in the 91 draft). Steelers cut him in Cowher's first training camp in 1992 (back in the day when Cowher was the new sheriff).

Attached link to a P-G story reviews the details of Richardson being a draft day bust. His bad luck in the NFL balanced out later; on the morning of 9-11 he was in the World Trade Center but delayed getting on an elevator to an upper floor. He was waiting for his boss to buy shirt collar stays on a ground floor when the first plane went in.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05109/490519.stm

Livinginthe past
03-20-2007, 01:03 PM
pfft Champ no matter how much I hate the Broncos he is no. 1,

no. 2 Ronde Barber

and no. 3Lito Sheppard (that Bledsoe int against the 'Boys and his Panthers INT were simply awesome)

no. 4 would have to be DeAngelo Hall

No. 5, Townsend... what im allowed a homer pick and hes by far my fave CB in Black and Gold! :helmet:

I can see the first 3.

De Angelo Hall is a good CB but not better than Nate Clements.

Townsend?

He isn't even the best CB on the Steelers....thats John Kuhn :sofunny:

FeaR #83
03-20-2007, 01:18 PM
I can see the first 3.

De Angelo Hall is a good CB but not better than Nate Clements.

Townsend?

He isn't even the best CB on the Steelers....thats John Kuhn :sofunny:

well personally I think Hall is underrated by many and I would easily put him above Clements

and I never said Townsend was our best CB, hes just my fave tis all :smile: :helmet: :tt02:

Livinginthe past
03-20-2007, 01:58 PM
well personally I think Hall is underrated by many and I would easily put him above Clements

and I never said Townsend was our best CB, hes just my fave tis all :smile: :helmet: :tt02:

Fair enough. :cheers:

Buzz05
03-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Sorry just my opinion...but I think D Hall is better then Lito Sheppard...