PDA

View Full Version : Ben says Wiz wrong

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
03-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Watched Savrans show and Ed Bouchette was on. He spoke to Ben today and Ben said that Wiz was wrong. He said it wasn't his appendix or the accident that caused him problems last year he just didn't play well. <there's no arguing that >

Bouchette said that he'll be keeping his weight between 235 - 240. Unlike the 255 he was two years ago. He likes the new offense and is getting familiar with the new terminology.

Bouchette went on to say the steelers will be putting more on Ben's shoulders this year. Ben's new job will be calling the line protection plays not the linemen as was the case in previous years.

Boys there's a new sheriff in town.

:tt02: :tt02: :cheers:

fansince'76
03-20-2007, 11:58 PM
I admire the fact that Ben is not using the accident/emergency appendectomy as excuses for his poor play this past season, but I still think they (along with the concussion he sustained in the Atlanta game) played a significant role.

Anthony_Smith27
03-21-2007, 12:03 AM
I admire the fact that Ben is not using the accident/emergency appendectomy as excuses for his poor play this past season, but I still think they (along with the concussion he sustained in the Atlanta game) played a significant role.

yup, they played a big role, you could tell by the way he was afraid to run at the beginning, and you could tell he was still knocked stupid after the concussion he got in atlanta cause he kept scoring for the other team lol.

he's just not trying to sound like a hoe and make excuses, that's why i like ben, he's always willing to take the blame no matter what

i can't wait for next season, i see him going back to his 2005 form, i see about 24 tds and less then 10 ints from him

fansince'76
03-21-2007, 12:07 AM
yup, they played a big role, you could tell by the way he was afraid to run at the beginning, and you could tell he was still knocked stupid after the concussion he got in atlanta cause he kept scoring for the other team lol.

he's just not trying to sound like a hoe and make excuses, that's why i like ben, he's always willing to take the blame no matter what

i can't wait for next season, i see him going back to his 2005 form, i see about 24 tds and less then 10 ints from him

I would like to see the Ben that I saw in the AFCCG game against Denver in every game next year.

BettisFan
03-21-2007, 12:19 AM
on the first thing you said, i mean yea like TO was like yea all the drops were because i hurt my ring finger! :cheer:

The Duke
03-21-2007, 12:30 AM
I would like to see the Ben that I saw in the AFCCG game against Denver in every game next year.

Yeah that was awesome, the passing and even the running, and against a good defense, still remember the pump to fool Bailey :thumbsup:.
All the stuff that happened to him had some effect on him he should recognize that, maybe he was playing poorly, but he was hurt he wasn't the same, we lost, the season's gone, now he is up to new responsibilities and seems to be taking them well. Here's hoping he's back to his 2004-05 shape, this offseason seems to be taking forever :coffee:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
03-21-2007, 01:11 AM
http://postgazette.com/pg/07080/771179-66.stm

Big Ben stands tall, has no alibi for off year
Quarterback doesn't offer excuses for his off season

Wednesday, March 21, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It was not the motorcycle accident, nor the appendectomy, nor the concussion. Ben Roethlisberger yesterday took issue with the excuses his former offensive coordinator provided for him recently, but said nothing was to blame for his poor 2006 season other than his play.

"You know what? I might have still had the same year," if there had been no trauma, Roethlisberger said. "Who knows? I'm not going to look back and say, wow, this is what caused this and this is what caused that. There's no need for that. It's a bad year. It's going to happen. That's just the way it goes."

Former Steelers coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, now the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals, said last month that, in retrospect, he thought Roethlisberger may have been brought back too soon after his traumas of last year and that it may have caused the quarterback to be gun-shy in the pocket.

Roethlisberger sharply disagreed.

"No, I don't agree with Whis. There were a lot of things I didn't agree with Whis about, and that's another one.

"Coach Cowher always came to me and asked me how I felt, and I was always 100 percent honest with him. I was always honest with the doctors. Everybody knows that Pittsburgh has some of the best doctors in the country -- look at my face for instance," he said, laughing. "We have an unbelievable medical staff. They cleared me and, if they gave me clearance, we never hushed anything.

In a rare sit down interview, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger talks with the PG's Ed Bouchette:

"No, I don't think anything was rushed. I think I just didn't play well. I had a bad year. I'm sure Whis had a bad year once in his career."

Roethlisberger threw 18 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions last season, had a 75.4 passer rating and a 7-8 record in his third year as a starter. He was 27-4 as a starter in his first two seasons, counting playoffs, with a 98.3 overall passer rating and a Super Bowl victory under his belt.

He has been able to put last season into perspective, he said, with the help of two Hall of Fame quarterbacks from Western Pennsylvania -- Dan Marino and Jim Kelly.

"Playing some golf and spending some time with them recently, they laugh because they're, like, 'Isn't it amazing that you have one bad year and everyone is down on you?' " Roethlisberger said. "I said, 'Yeah, it's pretty funny.' They said, 'Listen, you're going to have more than one bad year. Don't let it bother you. You had two great ones [and] one bad one, you'll be fine.'

"It feels good when people like that tell you that it's going to be OK, that you're going to have more than one bad year."

Roethlisberger attributes it more to his mental approach.

"I think that a lot of times, I got caught being a little too confident and knowing the offense too well and trying to force things a little too much. I wouldn't change a thing. I learned from it, it's a learning experience, and you know what, it's going to make me better."

Roethlisberger finds himself at another crossroads in his young career with a new head coach in Mike Tomlin, new offensive coordinator in Bruce Arians and new quarterbacks coach in Ken Anderson. He also has been presented with a new playbook that Arians streamlined and puts more on the quarterback's shoulders.

"It's going to be tough. It's going to take a lot of learning. That's why I've been going in and talking to B.A. and coach Anderson," Roethlisberger said as he completed his second day of workouts with his team.

Among the changes: The quarterback and not the center or guards will call the pass protections. Roethlisberger often could not hear his linemen and thus did not know what the protections were.

"[They're] letting me call a lot more of the stuff at the line," Roethlisberger said. "This year, it's going to be mostly just me. I'm going to tell them if I want them to move. I'm telling them to move, otherwise they don't do anything. It should be easier for us, for me, because I know what's going on and where they'll be blocking and who they're not blocking."

Roethlisberger did his homework on Anderson, too. He talked to Jacksonville quarterback Byron Leftwich about his former quarterbacks coach. He said he will miss his old quarterbacks coach, Mark Whipple, but understands the business of the NFL. He also said Tomlin has made a good impression.

"He's a lot of good things you want in a coach -- he has the energy, he has the excitement, he's a young guy," Roethlisberger said. "You can tell he has a fire, he has the players fired -- the enthusiasm, the energy -- and I think he's going to be a good coach. He has the passion."

7Ben7
03-21-2007, 01:37 AM
Ben was rattled hard last year, and the past 2 years before the accident, Wiz's offense worked just fine. I blame his struggling mostly to the accident, but you never know.

Preacher
03-21-2007, 02:24 AM
I am getting more and more excited about this coach and this year!!

go Steelers Go

stillers4me
03-21-2007, 06:37 AM
I like what I'm reading!!! By taking responsibility for his poor performance last year, and being at the workouts and giving props to the new coach, he's leading by example. Take notes, boys.

Steeler Revenge Tour 2007........ :tt02:

abgroove
03-21-2007, 07:34 AM
I like the fact that Ben is not making any excuses. Personally, I do think he came back a bit too early after the surgery, but I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. Let's hope his "bad years" are kept to a minimum

Buzz05
03-21-2007, 08:29 AM
It takes a big man to do what Ben just did. He didnt use the excuse of the accident, the surgery, or the concussion. He said it was him. And for that and that alone Ben has my respect. Thats what a leader does. He gives praise when it is due and takes the responibility when things dont go well. I really like the fact that Ben is excited about the expanding role this year too. I think he will do just fine.

Also the fact he is singing Tomlin's and the coaching staff's praises right now says a lot. It says that are all on the same page and want to get everything down. Im not gonna lie, after reading that article...makes me wish it was football season :tt02:

19ward86
03-21-2007, 08:44 AM
ben will definitaly deserve to go to the probowl this year, i think this year is his time to shine.

Newzfoxjr
03-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Nice. I think Ben will be back this year, if he keeps this kind of attitude up. And if he works hard, I think he could have a great season.

alittlejazzbird
03-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Here's the audio of Ben's sit-down with Ed Bouchette:

http://www.post-gazette.com/downloads/20070321_bouchette_big_ben.mp3

Interesting how he responded to the "work ethic" question. I think he missed the point, and Ed should have followed up, that being in the weight room and lifting five times a day isn't what people are taking issue with. It was the "last on, first off" during practice that was raising eyebrows, unless I'm mistaken. That's probably the only thing in this interview that he didn't address to my satisfaction.

And he kind of evades the "do you like them" question about Bruce Arians and Ken Anderson.....probably he thinks the jury is still out on them until they really get into practices and the season.

Otherwise, I think the kid has his head on right, and I'm looking forward to the season.

memphissteelergirl
03-21-2007, 09:37 AM

Heck, I'll take the Ben I saw vs. KC last season! :sofunny:

Seriously, tho'...I am glad to see that Ben is stepping up and taking responsibility for his role in the train wreck that was the '06 season. I am seeing a new attitude emerging, and it's great!

:tt02: :tt02:

TackleMeBen
03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Heck, I'll take the Ben I saw vs. KC last season! :sofunny:

Seriously, tho'...I am glad to see that Ben is stepping up and taking responsibility for his role in the train wreck that was the '06 season. I am seeing a new attitude emerging, and it's great!

:iagree:

Haiku_Dirtt
03-21-2007, 03:15 PM

Me too. But is he knowingly trying to deflect that attention or is Ben in serious denial that he can count the number of minutes he was from death on two fingers. I prefer it's not the latter.

SteelShooter
03-21-2007, 06:26 PM
He is showing class, pure and simple.

polamalufan43
03-21-2007, 07:33 PM

I think its responsible of him to not make excuses and just coming out and saying "I just did not play well,"

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

GBMelBlount
03-21-2007, 07:49 PM
ben will definitaly deserve to go to the probowl this year, i think this year is his time to shine.

With ben fully recovered and another year of development of our young receivers, as long as O-line doesn't self destruct, it's possible.

eal416
03-21-2007, 08:50 PM
I think that it was his brain that had the problem, from the accident. In the middle of the season they said that he was medically ok to play football, but his brain was still damaged. I beleive that. Go Steelers! Have a great 2007 year!!!:chicken: :cheer: :banana:

verks36
03-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Watched Savrans show and Ed Bouchette was on. He spoke to Ben today and Ben said that Wiz was wrong. He said it wasn't his appendix or the accident that caused him problems last year he just didn't play well. <there's no arguing that >

Bouchette said that he'll be keeping his weight between 235 - 240. Unlike the 255 he was two years ago. He likes the new offense and is getting familiar with the new terminology.

Bouchette went on to say the steelers will be putting more on Ben's shoulders this year. Ben's new job will be calling the line protection plays not the linemen as was the case in previous years.

I like them giving ben more responsibilty he isnt a rookie anymore. I also like ben owning up and not making any excusses for his bad play last year:helmet:

Edman
03-21-2007, 09:14 PM
That's cool of Ben to man up and take all the blame for his stugggles. Yes, he struggled, I have to say that the coaching staff didn't do him any favors. Even when the Steelers won, he never liked to take any credit for the win. Ben's truly a stand-up guy. He's got the size, the ability, and the talent to be a Pro Bowl-caliber Quarterback for the Steelers.

Now Ben, it's time to work with Arians and Anderson and show the rest of the league and your critics that you truly are an elite quarterback and that 2004 and 2005 were no flukes.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-21-2007, 10:41 PM
I think ben will be fine.......I dont know that he will ever be the best in the league....
But I think he could be the Best steelers all time QB

verks36
03-21-2007, 10:47 PM
I think ben will be fine.......I dont know that he will ever be the best in the league....
But I think he could be the Best steelers all time QB

Saying he might be the best steelers quaerterback of all time is a little to much i think. Those are some mighty high expections. But i guess u never know and cant judge him until his career is over.
:tt02:

CrazySteelerFan
03-21-2007, 11:04 PM
it seems to me the ever since the accident that Ben was very unsure of himself and his actions....after reading the story, it shows that he has grown up alot and taking more responibility for himself and his actions

Haiku_Dirtt
03-22-2007, 05:02 AM

I think its responsible of him to not make excuses and just coming out and saying "I just did not play well,"

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

This is why I've be a die hard Polamalu fan since his days at SC. No BS. All stud. And no stupidity.

But to respond...yes and no. None of us really know.

DEVILS ADVOCATE. IF there IS something wrong then he'll never get a new big contract. It is better to have a bad year than it is to have permanent brain damage. And you don't demo a Chrysler with your skull and get to pretend that playing QB in the NFL is a job anyone can hold.

Only time can prove me wrong. But if Ben is a stock or option then I'm selling short and praying long. I think his vision has suffered permanent damage. With the less than stellar play by our OL the time he has to focus downfield is even more limited.

Like I said. None of us really know.

HometownGal
03-22-2007, 09:06 AM

I'll take the Ben of 2005 with a cherry on top! :wink02:

I, too, am glad to see the kid putting the blame squarely on his shoulders for his poor performance last season and realizing that he has a lot of work to do to get himself back up to snuff. I also appreciated his admission that he may have been somewhat "over-confident" - I mentioned that several times last season, as well.

WELCOME BACK BEN - we missed you! :tt02: :cheers:

brind666
03-22-2007, 09:55 AM

oh really whats the name, batch ???????

Man_Of_Steel
03-22-2007, 12:31 PM
He is showing class, pure and simple.

How is that? He is lying through his teeth. The man played like shiit because of the accident, no doubt about it, NONE. I need not explain any more. He is lying and I don't like it.

DACEB
03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Whatever the explaination, Ben is taking responsibility. I just hope he realizes and understands that you minimize those bad years through hard work on the practice field and in the video room.

I also really hope that Ben understands the line protections. I would assume that Hartings had a tremendous grasp on the protections given his long tenure, and I find it hard to believe that (for example the Balt. games) Ben got killed because HE couldn't hear the line calls. Hopefully the new system will eliminate those problems.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
03-23-2007, 12:16 AM
yeah yeah I know it's from PFT but it puts an interesting spin on Wiz and Ben' relationship...

"[They're] letting me call a lot more of the stuff at the line," Roethlisberger said. "This year, it's going to be mostly just me. I'm going to tell them if I want them to move. I'm telling them to move, otherwise they don't do anything. It should be easier for us, for me, because I know what's going on and where they'll be blocking and who they're not blocking."

At a deeper level, Roethlisberger's comments might be a little bit of a slap at "Whis" and at former offensive line coach Russ Grimm. If, after all, there was a problem with the manner in which the pass protections were being called out, then it's a problem that the offensive line coach and the offensive coordinator should have fixed.

Coincidentally, both men were considered for the job of head coach after Bill Cowher resigned in January, and Grimm was a finalist who might or might not have been offered the gig before Mike Tomlin was hired.

So is Big Ben saying what he's saying in order to show implicit support for Mike Tomlin? Regardless of Roethlisberger's motivations, the team will get on the right track the sooner that everyone is on the same page, and if public comments from the starting quarterback will promote private acceptance in the locker room of Tomlin, everyone in black and gold benefits.

However, there's no indication that the system for calling out pass protections changed in 2006 from the procedures used the year before, when the team won something known loosely in some circles as the Super Bowl.

SteelCzar76
03-23-2007, 12:22 AM
It appears that Ben is begining to learn the value of 'absolute accountability' which no matter the the degree of blame,.....is probably the greatest quality one must posses as a 'Leader of Men'.
This is to be respected and commended no matter how it is viewed.

memphissteelergirl
03-23-2007, 12:40 PM
How is that? He is lying through his teeth. The man played like shiit because of the accident, no doubt about it, NONE. I need not explain any more. He is lying and I don't like it.

Dude, WTH is wrong with you???? How is he lying?!