PDA

View Full Version : P-G - Faneca Skips Volunatry Workouts

Atlanta Dan
03-21-2007, 07:43 AM
P-G reports the following in the linked article

Faneca skips voluntary workouts
All-Pro guard could be angling for a new deal

Under normal circumstances, it might not even be noted, but Faneca publicly questioned the Steelers' decision to bypass his line coach, Russ Grimm, for the job that Tomlin ultimately got.

Also, negotiations to extend Faneca's contract, which has one year left, have gone nowhere. All that, combined with the cryptic response by his agent yesterday, could add up to why Faneca has not yet attended, or even if he plans to.

Agent Rick Smith said yesterday that he would not comment about Faneca at any time, now or in the future, and that any comments would have to come from "Rooney or Kevin Colbert."...

Tomlin said he talked to Faneca and was satisfied with his reason for not attending the workouts.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07080/771176-66.stm

This pretty much confirms Faneca's absence is intended to send a message.

Steelers have no alternatives for this year at OL so I do not know if a trade works.

Depending how the cap arithmetic works, Steelers might want to franchise Faneca in 2008 or at least tell him that may occcur if the Steelers want to try to get a deal - he is still a good player but a break the bank multi-year contract for a guard who will be entering his 11th year in the league in 2008 has a lot of risks

The Duke
03-21-2007, 08:16 AM
All seems to ppoint out he won't come back in 2008 doesn't it . Hope i'm wrong.

manateern
03-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Hello everyone. I'm a first time poster. I think Faneca should report to workouts and try to make the Steelers better. He needs to quit whining about who's there and who isn't and just get down to playing Steeler football. His contract will take care of itself if he plays well. He is still under contract this year, so get there and get to work!

Counselor
03-21-2007, 09:30 AM
He's holding out.

Livinginthe past
03-21-2007, 09:46 AM
From a business point of view (which this is) there may never be a better time for a lineman to hold out.

Factor in the ridiculous sums of money thrown at average lineman in FA and you have an increasingly disgruntled Faneca.

You never know when you are going to get that career ending injury - Faneca is getting up there in terms of age so he wants his big pay day now.

Faneca's comments may well have been a 'come get me' signal to teams looking for a high quality LG - its not beyond the realms of possibility (though unlikely) that the Steelers management are all in on this.

The other thing to remember is that the Steelers have issues on the O-line - there arent many viable replacements for Faneca on the current roster (maybe something will happen on draft day)

fansince'76
03-21-2007, 09:53 AM
He's already signed a contract through 2007. He should be held to that contract. What good are contracts when people don't have to honor them? And if he holds out of TC this year, or he half-asses it through the season, he's going to be hurting his marketability in the long run. It's one thing for a big name skill position player to gain the reputation of a malcontent, but it's a whole other ballgame entirely for an O-lineman to do so.

Counselor
03-21-2007, 10:18 AM
He's already signed a contract through 2007. He should be held to that contract. What good are contracts when people don't have to honor them? And if he holds out of TC this year, or he half-asses it through the season, he's going to be hurting his marketability in the long run. It's one thing for a big name skill position player to gain the reputation of a malcontent, but it's a whole other ballgame entirely for an O-lineman to do so.

Here's the deal---no player likes to go into their last year of a contract and play it out. Too much uncertainty and risk of injury. Javon Walker is a perfect example---Farve talked him out of holding out in Green Bay and then he got seriously hurt and missed the season anyway---then he was damaged goods. If you have a year left on your contract at your job, wouldn't you do whatever you could (use your leverage) to get that renegotiated or extended before you were out of a job?

I love the idea that "everyone should fulfill their contract" but the reality it it doesn't work that way---for either side. The Steelers didn't fulfill Porter's last year did they? any contract for employment (in any business--not just football) is hard to enforce.

there may never be a better time for a lineman to hold out.

So true--salaries are rising for guards and lets face it---he's banking on the fact that the Steelers need him.

fansince'76
03-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Here's the deal---no player likes to go into their last year of a contract and play it out. Too much uncertainty and risk of injury. Javon Walker is a perfect example---Farve talked him out of holding out in Green Bay and then he got seriously hurt and missed the season anyway---then he was damaged goods. If you have a year left on your contract at your job, wouldn't you do whatever you could (use your leverage) to get that renegotiated or extended before you were out of a job?

I love the idea that "everyone should fulfill their contract" but the reality it it doesn't work that way---for either side. The Steelers didn't fulfill Porter's last year did they? any contract for employment (in any business--not just football) is hard to enforce.

You're absolutely right - I wrote what I did out of annoyance more than anything else. I'm just not real happy with Faneca at the moment.

Counselor
03-21-2007, 10:36 AM
You're absolutely right - I wrote what I did out of annoyance more than anything else. I'm just not real happy with Faneca at the moment.

I'm with you. As much as he's banking on being "needed" by the Steelers. I won't be surprised or too upset if the FO call his bluff.

Edman
03-21-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm suspecting Faneca will cause problems this year even if he doesn't hold out.

dhosmer
03-21-2007, 11:01 AM
he's already causing problems. when there' a new coach in town, you get to camp, you get to voluntary workouts to show that you support him and that you support the team.

SteelerFanInCA
03-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Definitely a distraction. Hopefully he gets his ass into gear and attends the voluntary workouts soon.

ChronoCross
03-21-2007, 12:45 PM
To many ifs when thinking about this one. But were looking at the near end of faneca possible being a Steeler.

We could cut Faneca after 6-1 and save almost 2.6mil.

We could put Faneca on the trading block.

Faneca could play the Porter card and say he will sit out the season if he does not get a long term deal.

Faneca could be setting the cards in play because he wants to go play for grim with the cards. He probably knows if he becomes a big enough distraction that Steelers will get rid of him.

Faneca maybe bank on the Steelers needing him but who will we loose if we do sign him for a long term deal. Id personally rather keep troy who is still rather young then keep a guard who maybe has 2 good years left.

Who really knows how this is going to play out but, hey it was nice while you were here faneca.

Atlanta Dan
03-21-2007, 12:47 PM

Actually, a quality OL is very hard to find and has a lot of leverage, as evidenced by the OL contracts this offseason. Leaving aside transcendent talents such as LT, Peter King of SI is of the opinion it is easier to find a decent RB or WR, as based on the following exchange with a reader:

Q:In my opinion, wideouts today are the most fungible commodity in football. There is just not that big of difference between what you can get with a first round pick, and what you can get on the second day. Oakland, with so many holes to fill, would be wise to trade the pick.''

King: Agreed -- in theory. (Though I think running backs are the easiest commodities to find and replace.)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/03/20/mailbag/1.html

As for honoring contracts, you use what little leverage you have as a NFL player; managment only has to honor the signing bonus and first year of any contract, so it is not as if those contracts should be treated as if they are sacred texts.

I am disappointed in his actions since Cowher retired because I think it hurts the team's prospects for 2007 and beyond, but from a straight business standpoint Faneca is acting very rationally.

verks36
03-21-2007, 12:48 PM
To many ifs when thinking about this one. But were looking at the near end of faneca possible being a Steeler.

We could cut Faneca after 6-1 and save almost 2.6mil.

We could put Faneca on the trading block.

Faneca could play the Porter card and say he will sit out the season if he does not get a long term deal.

Faneca could be setting the cards in play because he wants to go play for grim with the cards. He probably knows if he becomes a big enough distraction that Steelers will get rid of him.

Faneca maybe bank on the Steelers needing him but who will we loose if we do sign him for a long term deal. Id personally rather keep troy who is still rather young then keep a guard who maybe has 2 good years left.

Who really knows how this is going to play out but, hey it was nice while you were here faneca.

good post

If he is doing it for any of those reasons then it is probbly to play with Grim and the cards. If we realased him the cards would jump so quick in and sighn him. This doesnt seem charctersically to fanicas personallity. We will just have to wait and see what he says in the media.

jjpro11
03-21-2007, 06:06 PM
holding out really wont help as much as it could have a few years ago.. the salary cap is going up each year.. so next year when/if he hits the market they will be paying players even more. he could hold out and get a fat contract somewhere now, but he will end up getting a large contract next year anyways, probably more considering the salary cap inflate.

Steelerstrength
03-21-2007, 07:02 PM
The Steelers organization are saavy to this action, and have seen it before here and around the league. Each side is working for the best case scenario. Faneca wants to know that he's considered an assett and will be here long term. The Steelers want to wait as long as possible for two reasons. One, to see his performance next year (if Faneca would wait that long). And two, not have to shell out the dollars & possible bonus at this time. Trying to hold off the inevitable. This is business that should be addressed now. There are plenty of players that did not have to wait until during the last year to get a contract redone.

I say sign him now, and work out the money over the term of the contract. It has to happen.
:helmet:

polamalufan43
03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Well, although I don't think this was the best move for Faneca, I'm not going to dog him for it. We'll see what happens.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

GBMelBlount
03-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Like LITP said, what's the prognosis on the O-line if we lose Faneca with all of the other question marks we already have! Will Ben be turned into Turfberger?

SteelShooter
03-21-2007, 10:33 PM
We shall see................................

Stlrs4Life
03-21-2007, 10:47 PM
I believe people are reading way too much into all of this Ward and Faneca stuff. They are Voluntary workouts.

CrazySteelerFan
03-21-2007, 11:12 PM
I believe people are reading way too much into all of this Ward and Faneca stuff. They are Voluntary workouts.

i have to say one thing tho...Hines showed up even tho he has been complaining.
If Faneca didnt show up because he wants a new contract is one thing, if he didnt show up cause he's bitter about Grimm not getting the job, then hes acting immature and
hurting the Steelers and himself.

steelafan
03-22-2007, 12:22 AM
It seems to me Faneca's answers to reporters' questions are just that - answers to questions - not "whining." His answers expressed an opinion (he's entitled) about the past and then he followed up by making a positive comment about the future. I think we could be reading a lot more negative into his comments than he probably intended.

Isn't it unusual that Faneca's agent's saidthat comments would have to come from Rooney or Colbert? If there was an offer made by the Steelers, wouldn't the agent have had something to say? Why doesn't the media push the team for a comment? I haven't even seen a report that the team has actually stated there were contract negotions being held. WHat's going on? It might not be the obvious. Could Steelers be letting go others besides Porter? If not this year, then next? If they view this as a time of rebuilding, they might not see value in keeping the more experienced players whose contracts are close to ending.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-22-2007, 04:36 AM
Actually, a quality OL is very hard to find and has a lot of leverage, as evidenced by the OL contracts this offseason. Leaving aside transcendent talents such as LT, Peter King of SI is of the opinion it is easier to find a decent RB or WR, as based on the following exchange with a reader:

[I]Q:In my opinion, wideouts today are the most fungible commodity in football. .

I've been on my soapbox about wasted first round WR picks for some time now. Watching Holmes put the dagger into the Bengals on a 5 yard slant was poetic. But renegotiations with this cat will be bitter. Mark my words.

WE ARE IN NO POSITION to play fast and loose with the OL. And with the economic demise in Detroit even Ben's future as a crash dummy is bleak.

The sky may not be falling. Yet.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-22-2007, 03:24 PM

True,it's not mandatory to attend.However,the only players that normally don't attend are injured or unhappy with the coach and/or thier contract.Especially when the coach is new,players attend.Faneca is missing out on a lot of important stuff,I am sure.

And yes,he was "just answering" reporters questions.If he wasn't that excited about Tomlin,he didn't have to say that he wished Grimm got the job.That's a slight to Tomlin and the Rooney's.

Sharkissle29
03-22-2007, 03:26 PM
fanecas a whiny bitch, get em out of here...you dont always get your way sometimes, deal with it. man up

FeaR #83
03-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Fanecas letting fame get to his head liek so many other players before him

live with what you got you earn enough as it is and get back to damn well training

steelafan
03-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Fanecas letting fame get to his head liek so many other players before him

live with what you got you earn enough as it is and get back to damn well training

If you had to put your health and your career on the line to show up to a voluntary day of work, what would YOU want to consider first??? WHat if your boss was letting people go for reasons like you cost too much money (maybe your salary is a lot higher than the younger guy comin in) or you expressed your opinion that didn't agree with theirs (you know - freedom of speech)? Knowing you can only do this job for maybe 5 more years - for this company or any company, and one injury could bring it to an end, what would you do? To us it's just a game, but for these men it's a small window of time to provide for their family's future (and an opportunity to do something to help others).

There are some players (maybe even many players) who are interested in the fame, but they are the ones who go looking for attention, not the ones who don't say anything until someone happens to ask them a question.

Some fans talk big, but if they were in a similar position, they would do the same thing - if they even did that well.

GBMelBlount
03-22-2007, 08:46 PM
fanecas a whiny bitch, get em out of here...you dont always get your way sometimes, deal with it. man up

What will our O-line look like next year if we lose Faneca too?

verks36
03-22-2007, 08:47 PM

Woah dude Chill out... I hope you are talking about a different faneca not the alen faneca on the steelers because he aint no biitch.

Faneca has anchored down our line for the last 5 years and help win us a super bowl. Just because he doesnt go to a VOLANTARY workout doesnt mean you have to call him a whiny bitch.... Please steelers fines have more class than that... We arent bungles fans here

verks36
03-22-2007, 08:48 PM
What will our O-line look like next year if we lose Faneca too?

It will look like a bunch of rookies with no expirnce

SteelCzar76
03-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Alan's a son of '76' he's not gonna hold out. But he has no illusions about what players this organization actually values. Especially in light of happened with Peezy. (Ie: not even attempting to make an offer and just simply disregarding him despite his loyalty to, dedication and admiration of the Steeler organization)
Bottom line,.....Alan may have lost faith in the front offices loyalty and or honor. He will have a 'Pro Bowl' season this year. And then move on. IMO

Suitanim
03-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Wow...just...wow.

First off, the game has changed. This is how it goes now. Ward held out, and he got what he deserved. Part of the reason the Steelers built Heinz field was to have enough money to sign players like Ben and Ward and maybe Faneca...

Anyway, this could go two ways. Faneca signs a top 5 or so deal ahead of time (and he may...I don't detect Poston-like greed here), or the Steelers draft his replacement in Rd 1. Either way the Steelers win...Alan will play this year, and play well...if he has to honor his contract and THEN test FA next year, he's highly motivated whether or not the Steelers draft an OG in rd 1.

But we need to calm down...this isn't Randy Moss or Barry Bonds or Ron Artest. Alan will do the right thing.

ben2hines=6
03-23-2007, 01:57 AM
ya know this is terrible and all.....but in todays free agency how can u blame the guy for wanting a new contract.....i mean he did have the HUGE block that sent willie in the super bowl right???? haha that and he's and all pro guard and this is gonna be his last chance to hit it big in free agency.....yes he's under contract but he does diserve a new contract and hopefully the steelers will respect that

X-Terminator
03-23-2007, 02:33 AM
*sighs*

Listen, I realize that these are VOLUNTARY workouts, but if Faneca really cared about the team, rather than himself, his ass would be here. Plain and simple. Too much "me, me, me" garbage these days, and it's just a little bit upsetting.

And I hate to break it to you guys, but there is NO WAY the Steelers pay Faneca over $50 million at this stage of his career, which is what he'd command on the open market, unless he really wanted to be a Steeler and took a "hometown discount." He is going to want to make as much money as he can in what will likely be his last big payday. So get used to seeing #66 on the sidelines this summer and then on another team next season.

steelafan
03-23-2007, 07:39 AM
*sighs*

Listen, I realize that these are VOLUNTARY workouts, but if Faneca really cared about the team, rather than himself, his ass would be here. Plain and simple. Too much "me, me, me" garbage these days, and it's just a little bit upsetting.

Would YOU put your body, your health, and your career on the line for a VOLUNTARY work out? Do you care more about your company than yourself? Do you have any expectations of loyalty from your company before you go the extra mile, do more than is required? I have high expectations of players, but I think we should stop thinking these guys are so much different that the rest of us. I bet we could find people in our jobs to match the different behaviors and attitudes of players. Couldn't we just stick to criticizing things we really wouldn't do ourselves?

RoethlisBURGHer
03-23-2007, 10:24 AM
I think a few people have it twisted.

It sounds to me like some people think we cut Porter because the Rooneys didn't wanna pay him,and we haven't signed Faneca to a nice new contract because we don't wanna pay him.

It's not that the Rooneys don't have the money or don't wanna sign them...they can't sign them because of the salary cap.If they do,the Rooneys are handcuffing the Steelers by not leaving enough cap room to sign the rookies we'll draft and by making it hard to resign other players such as Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu.

We didn't need to keep Porter because Pittsburgh is a linebacker factory.The Steelers get great linebackers like Heinz makes ketchup.Jack Ham,Jack Lambert,Kevin Greene,Kirkland,Lloyd,Porter,Holmes,Bell.We can just draft someone and he will take Porter's place.

Ben Roethlisberger is the first Super Bowl winnoing QB we have had since Terry Bradshaw.Pittsburgh isn't a QB factory,so Ben is a big cog in the makeup of the team and I guy we need to resign.Same as Polamlau,he's key to our defense.He can cover,blitz,hit,get INT's,force fumbles.He allows our defense to do what it does because the offense always has to keep an eye on him...letting a LB get free to get to the QB.

Suitanim
03-23-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't think many people understand the basic tenets of free agency. "Greed" has nothing to do with this. This is a business, and there are agents and lawyers on both sides who not only have the best interests of their team/client in mind, but also other financial considerations...

Anyway, saying Faneca is greedy or selfish is just plain wrong. If he reports to the voluntary workouts, he shows weakness in his bargaining position. It may not be ideal, but it's the way things work. Like I said, the Steelers should offer him what they can afford to pay that is fair as well. They also need to NOT make the mistake of paying him based on what he's DONE, rather based on what he is still capable of DOING. Alan has plenty of good years left, so a fair offer may be higher than we are used to, but the NFL rev share is working well.

BettisFan
03-23-2007, 07:37 PM
oh now this will hurt his image

Suitanim
03-23-2007, 07:45 PM
It didn't hurt Ward's image, and it won't hurt Alan's. I think they sign him to a big money deal. Hell, the cap has room for it due to TV revenues, and this guy is the anchor of the OL.

GBMelBlount
03-23-2007, 10:24 PM
I don't think many people understand the basic tenets of free agency. "Greed" has nothing to do with this. This is a business, and there are agents and lawyers on both sides who not only have the best interests of their team/client in mind, but also other financial considerations...

Anyway, saying Faneca is greedy or selfish is just plain wrong. If he reports to the voluntary workouts, he shows weakness in his bargaining position. It may not be ideal, but it's the way things work. Like I said, the Steelers should offer him what they can afford to pay that is fair as well. They also need to NOT make the mistake of paying him based on what he's DONE, rather based on what he is still capable of DOING. Alan has plenty of good years left, so a fair offer may be higher than we are used to, but the NFL rev share is working well.

Suit, how can the Steelers afford to offer him what he can get in the open market? Also, the FO is never known for paying people based on what they HAVE done. And it's hard to know if he has plenty of good years left. That being said, with all of our questions on O-line, I think he is as valuable SHORT TERM as Troy and I think if we lost him now, it would be DEVASTATING to our offense.

Suitanim
03-24-2007, 06:03 PM
First off, the Steelers have money to spend. The cap has grown like 20 million over just the last couple years, and that is money the Steelers will spend not save. I believe Faneca will stay if the Steelers offer him a deal that pays him like other Pro-Bowl guards. He isn't going to pull a TO or even a Hutch and demand to be the highest paid player at his position.

As for the Steelers FO paying based on past performance, they certainly have done that before. Chad Scott was, I believe, the highest paid Steelers defensive player in HISTORY, and that was totally based on past achievement, not future productivity. But they quickly learned from that mistake...

Atlanta Dan
03-24-2007, 06:28 PM
First off, the Steelers have money to spend. The cap has grown like 20 million over just the last couple years, and that is money the Steelers will spend not save. I believe Faneca will stay if the Steelers offer him a deal that pays him like other Pro-Bowl guards. He isn't going to pull a TO or even a Hutch and demand to be the highest paid player at his position.

As for the Steelers FO paying based on past performance, they certainly have done that before. Chad Scott was, I believe, the highest paid Steelers defensive player in HISTORY, and that was totally based on past achievement, not future productivity. But they quickly learned from that mistake...

The Scott/Washington signings always seemed to me the proverbial "money burning a hole in your pocket" signings. Dan Rooney pretty clearly said the Steelers FA losses in the 90s would not end unless a new stadium was delivered. When that happened, Scott and Washington benefited from "a put up or shut up" attitude with the fan base that resulted in the Steelers overpaying for 2 CBs with woeful cover skills when their contracts were among the first coming up for renegotiation when the Heinz cash flow started.

The problem with the increased cap is that it does not just increase for the Steelers; it increases for everyone and what a top 5 player at his position should get is a moving and ever increasing target. More talented teams cannot keep all their talent (see Edgerrin James, the Pats losses, and the Steelers having to choose Hines or Plax) and the Steelers have three top shelf contracts (Ben, Troy, Faneca) coming up for negotiation Just like the Colts could not keep James, Manning, and Harrison, someone has to go and given his age + legitimate contract expectations I think Faneca draws the short straw here.

Suitanim
03-24-2007, 07:12 PM
But every team has needs...it's the great equalizer. WE need Faneca as our OL anchor, and I believe we'll pay for it. Obviously, we'll just have to wait and see, but my overriding point remains that it's wrong to criticize him for being greedy. He's merely doing business in 2007...

tony hipchest
03-24-2007, 08:12 PM
But every team has needs...it's the great equalizer. WE need Faneca as our OL anchor, and I believe we'll pay for it. Obviously, we'll just have to wait and see, but my overriding point remains that it's wrong to criticize him for being greedy. He's merely doing business in 2007...i agree that its wrong to call him greedy, for going after what he has worked hard for and rightfully earned. its the american way. and if he forgoes the hometown discount i hope the fans dont turn on him for seeking market value.

im still trying to think if the free agency ere steelers have had the highest paid player at any position (or even top 3)

faneca and ward will (or should) fall into this class. id hate to see the steelers backload even more contracts but assuming troy and faneca are top 3, them 2 along with hines will account for about 20% of the salary cap. its doable but a. smith, m. smith, and c. hampton arent chump change. i. taylor and w. parkers pay is gonna pick up too.

the problem with the steelers is they like to spread the wealth and have $5 million players at every position AND have veteran back ups. i would say we have 15 players whose salaries will average out to about 5 mil apiece next year. that will leave a little over 40 mil (depending how much the cap goes up next year) to pay 38 other players.

the days of having high paid back ups like harrison, hoke, wilson, okolbi , haynes will be gone. the money is there, theres just alot of fat to be trimmed and the days of cutting half of our draft class will be gone.

Atlanta Dan
03-24-2007, 08:17 PM
But every team has needs...it's the great equalizer. WE need Faneca as our OL anchor, and I believe we'll pay for it. Obviously, we'll just have to wait and see, but my overriding point remains that it's wrong to criticize him for being greedy. He's merely doing business in 2007...

You and I are absolutely on the same page that Faneca expecting a market rate contract has nothing to do with greed; that is a business decision.

My beef with Faneca concerns his Pro Bowl comments on the Tomlin hire and then not showing up for last week's meetings. It seems to reinforce his disagreement with the Tomlin hire, is not going to move the contract talks along and, unlike a training camp holdout, does not involve avoiding full contact action that potentially might result in a negotiation impairing injury. If he thinks it will force a trade, I think that ship sailed when he (unlike Porter) got his bonus payment in early March. To me it just appears to be conduct beneath a player of Faneca's stature.

GBMelBlount
03-24-2007, 08:32 PM

You're right. I over generalized. But I do think if the FO THINKS they MIGHT have peaked, their offer may not reflect how well a player has played to that point.

OneForTheToe
03-25-2007, 12:24 AM
On KDKA sports tonight John Stiegerwald reported that he was told that Faneca is dealing with a health issue in his family. I'm not sure about the comformation on that. Tomlin did say he was satisfied with the reasons for those who didn't show for mini camp.

Just throwing that out there.

Sharkissle29
03-25-2007, 01:32 AM
these guys (faneca included) are making millions of dollars a year...i dont understand where peiople make the argument as "hes just seeking his market value." that market value is more than most people make in a lifetime..if faneca doesnt sign hes being greedy, im sure he has so much money now he doesnt even know what to do with it

SteelFist
03-25-2007, 05:04 AM
I don't know if they can extend both his and Troy's contract this year. I know if I had my choice....Goodbye Faneca. Troy...hands down. If the FO is factoring that into their decision along with the possibility of Faneca holding out, then I say trade him now and get something for him. Even if it is a 2nd round draft pick, get somethin'.

Unlike most of you, I feel that Faneca's play has slipped a little. And he's not getting any younger. He has the right to want a bigger contract I understand that, but he can get it from someone else just like Porter.

GBMelBlount
03-25-2007, 09:11 PM
these guys (faneca included) are making millions of dollars a year...i dont understand where peiople make the argument as "hes just seeking his market value." that market value is more than most people make in a lifetime..if faneca doesnt sign hes being greedy, im sure he has so much money now he doesnt even know what to do with it

Dude, it's a free country thank God! It didn't work in the soviet union. why do you want it here? Go Faneca! Make Millions!!!!!!!!!:flap:

steelafan
03-26-2007, 07:24 AM

Not only is it a free country (and a free enterprise system), but a player's "lifetime" of earnings takes place in just a few years. And they also have greater concerns than most of us do about how long those years will last. They don't have a lifetime to make their earnings. They must wonder from year to year if they will make the team, be healthy enough, be injury free, will they fit into the scheme the team/coach is using this year, and so forth.

Livinginthe past
03-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Not only is it a free country (and a free enterprise system), but a player's "lifetime" of earnings takes place in just a few years. And they also have greater concerns than most of us do about how long those years will last. They don't have a lifetime to make their earnings. They must wonder from year to year if they will make the team, be healthy enough, be injury free, will they fit into the scheme the team/coach is using this year, and so forth.

You know what?

I've heard that argument alot - these poor atheletes with their tiny window of opportunity to make $5million/year.

Its ridiculious for a number of reasons - 1 years pay at that rate of more than alot of people will earn in a lifetime - work it out - it would take 100 years for a guy/gal on $50k/year to pull that money in.

Secondly, these players dont lose the ability to find work once they leave football - not every player can be a analyst, maybe they'll have to settle for re-training in some other area.

I know what im saying sounds far fetched - but I always find it odd that regular people defend poor hard-done-by footballers and their huge contracts - just because they might only get a couple of years earning millions of dollars.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-26-2007, 10:20 AM
They earn too much money......its getting crazy.......
And I do not think it is going to be long until we are charged to watch everygame on tv.
The money isnt there for what everyone is asking....

GBMelBlount
03-26-2007, 08:14 PM
You know what?

I've heard that argument alot - these poor atheletes with their tiny window of opportunity to make $5million/year.

Its ridiculious for a number of reasons - 1 years pay at that rate of more than alot of people will earn in a lifetime - work it out - it would take 100 years for a guy/gal on $50k/year to pull that money in.

Secondly, these players dont lose the ability to find work once they leave football - not every player can be a analyst, maybe they'll have to settle for re-training in some other area.

I know what im saying sounds far fetched - but I always find it odd that regular people defend poor hard-done-by footballers and their huge contracts - just because they might only get a couple of years earning millions of dollars.

Dude are you a freakin communist. Should I say you are a bastard because you leave your company you're making 50k a year at for 5 years to go to a company across the street that offers you 60k a year to do THE SAME WORK!!!!!! Who the hell are you to judge!

ben2hines=6
03-27-2007, 01:26 AM
ya know for being the most physically demanding and being the dominant sport in the great usa.....these players are not making as much as they prob should....i mean hell u look at basketball and a bum could make over 60mill on a contract and that wouldnt be considered much.....im sorry but i cannot blam alan if he chooses to gripe about his contract....nobody brings up the other half when an organization cuts somebody when they're contract is to big (like joey) but when there is talks about somebody like faneca holding out its turned to him being greedy....i dont think its fair that an organization can do it without gripe but hell breaks lose when a player trys to get paid

Livinginthe past
03-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Dude are you a freakin communist. Should I say you are a bastard because you leave your company you're making 50k a year at for 5 years to go to a company across the street that offers you 60k a year to do THE SAME WORK!!!!!! Who the hell are you to judge!

I don't regard myself as a communist.

Im talking about the application of common sense to simple facts - the scenario you give with me moving job for $10k is massively different to a footballer pleading povety when he makes more money in a year than most of will see in a life time.

Its a bad idea to make such lazy comparisons when you take absolutely no account of scale in the examples.

I have no real problem with players looking to maximise their worth - its a business - but if you try and convince me that I should feel sympathy for them when they lose out on a couple million bucks - i'll laugh right in your face.

Oh, and who am I to judge?

Im a guy with an opinion who has the right to express it - now who sounds like the communist?

Atlanta Dan
03-27-2007, 08:02 AM

Im talking about the application of common sense to simple facts - the scenario you give with me moving job for $10k is massively different to a footballer pleading povety when he makes more money in a year than most of will see in a life time.

Its a bad idea to make such lazy comparisons when you take absolutely no account of scale in the examples.

I have no real problem with players looking to maximise their worth - its a business - but if you try and convince me that I should feel sympathy for them when they lose out on a couple million bucks - i'll laugh right in your face.

Im a guy with an opinion who has the right to express it - now who sounds like the communist?

Money makes the world go round.

For example, Bob Kraft will still be able to pay the light bill if he agrees to a distribution of NFL revenue that will reduce his net income and increase that of the small market teams, but the Krafts, Joneses, and Snyders of the world are reluctant to reduce what is "their" income from a joint enterprise that is based in large part on their teams being in large markets. It has little to do with not remaining insanely wealthy and everything to do with maximizing personal as opposed to collective well being.

My point is not to bash the big market owners but to state that maximizing individual income is what drives today's NFL (as Art Rooney II discusses in an artivcle in today's P-G that I will post in a separate thread) - expecting Faneca or any other player to back off pushing for every dollar when he sees the attitude of ownership on the same point does not appeer to be realistic or for that matter justified to me.

Livinginthe past
03-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Money makes the world go round.

For example, Bob Kraft will still be able to pay the light bill if he agrees to a distribution of NFL revenue that will reduce his net income and increase that of the small market teams, but the Krafts, Joneses, and Snyders of the world are reluctant to reduce what is "their" income from a joint enterprise that is based in large part on their teams being in large markets. It has little to do with not remaining insanely wealthy and everything to do with maximizing personal as opposed to collective well being.

My point is not to bash the big market owners but to state that maximizing individual income is what drives today's NFL (as Art Rooney II discusses in an artivcle in today's P-G that I will post in a separate thread) - expecting Faneca or any other player to back off pushing for every dollar when he sees the attitude of ownership on the same point does not appeer to be realistic or for that matter justified to me.

I agree 100%.

As it stands, running a successful football franchise goes hand in the hand with running a profitable franchise - that is why I am always confident that Kraft is making the right choices - not just for his bank balance, but for the fans too.

The issue of revenue sharing must seem like a totally alien concept to your average owner - where else would keeping the competition in good health actually be good for business?

Im sure thats what goes through the owners head - his natural instinct must be to find a way of crushing the smaller teams - instead, it may well be better for his bank balance to subsidise the competition.

As for Faneca, I can't say I blame him for attempting to maximise his potential, especially at a time when there is more money floating around for O-linemen than ever before.

I was just saying that, as a fan of a franchise and not a player, I don't have any sympathy for a guy who loses out on a couple of million dollars.

NM

klick81
03-27-2007, 10:43 AM
You know what?

You've hit it right on the head. It's just ridiculous.

GBMelBlount
03-27-2007, 10:28 PM

dude, you're right! you can make your point...... and Faneca can earn what he's worth...steelers or not. If you criticize him for not taking the best opportunity for him and his family, I say, You are a communist, that is my right!!! You are what is wrong with this country, communist. I want Faneca, we NEED Faneca, but what the hell is wrong with him earning what he is worth in a non-communist country?

Livinginthe past
03-27-2007, 11:38 PM
dude, you're right! you can make your point...... and Faneca can earn what he's worth...steelers or not. If you criticize him for not taking the best opportunity for him and his family, I say, You are a communist, that is my right!!! You are what is wrong with this country, communist. I want Faneca, we NEED Faneca, but what the hell is wrong with him earning what he is worth in a non-communist country?

The differnce is that I am making a point about football players - what you are doing is throwing out labels that are intended to insult.

Just so you know, it isn't 'your right' to say what you want on here - there are rules and codes of conduct and you are outside them right now.

Take this as a friendly warning - keep your commentary to the footballers and not my political persuasion.

steelafan
03-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Ron Cook at Post-Gazette has column on Faneca. I can't post links yet. Maybe someone else can do that. He speaks with a clear head - a voice of reason.

Atlanta Dan
03-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Here is the link to the Cook column:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07087/772995-87.stm

Some excerpts

Worry about where Faneca will be for the 2008 season. I'm thinking the desert with old friends Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm. It's nothing personal. It's strictly business.

It's pretty safe to say Faneca wants to be the NFL's highest-paid guard....But it's just as safe to say the Steelers aren't especially interested in meeting Faneca's price. It seems much more likely that they'll pay the really big money to safety Troy Polamalu, who, like Faneca, can become a free agent after the '07 season. It's not because they don't like Faneca as a player. They love him. It's because the market for guards has become obscene.

They'll still make Faneca their best offer on an extension before training camp, but it's hard to believe it will be for what he wants.

If it does come to that, here's hoping Faneca turns down the offer without going through the farce of a training-camp holdout. That's a waste of everyone's time. The Steelers aren't going to blink.

Faneca might hold out, but it's inevitable that he'll come back in the end, play out his contract and then sell himself to the highest bidder.

The Cardinals, for instance.

Good column, although if holding out in training camp is a waste of time then so is skippping the voluntary workouts for the same reason.

Faneca is gone - if that is what it takes to pay for Troy then so be it.

SteelCityPride
03-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Skipping training camp this season, to me, is an unnacceptable option. The Steelers have already mentioned that there is a new playbook being put together, and one of the most difficult positions in football, as far as a playbook is concerned, is with the Offensive Guard. I hope he comes back, I give him no slack however if he misses training camp. I agree that we will be seeing him along with a few other players begin to migrate to Arizona. Their attitude toward the Steeler organization now may be bitterness beacuse of what went down with the head coach hiring, but their feelings may also change during the season. I believe Whisenhunt will be a great coach, and paired with grimm again I think they can do great things, but that isn't all that it takes to have a great football team. I guess there are a couple sides to the situation. When it comes down to it, I agree with the article, give him your best offer, express to him that missing training camp is unacceptable and go from there, if he doesn't have a contract in place before the season he is absolutely gone, so with an important season coming up and him missing some training camp time with a new playbook, you have to consider getting back some money. I love Faneca, I hope we can keep him, he has been great to Pittsburgh, but the league has gotten way to leanient with all of their players, this is a job, show up to prepare or don't get paid. If I were to miss 4 meetings leading up to a conference I would be fired.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

coachspeak33
03-28-2007, 01:48 PM
I truely believe that the Rooneys have a very good idea as to whether or not Faneca will sign an extension (if a legitimate one is even offered)

That being said...if they dont llike their chances at resigning, arguably, the best G in all of football....then they must try to facilitate a trade with Arizona

Why doesnt the Steelers front office attempt to get some return for guys that they know are gonna walk away????

Atlanta Dan
03-28-2007, 02:12 PM
I truely believe that the Rooneys have a very good idea as to whether or not Faneca will sign an extension (if a legitimate one is even offered)

That being said...if they dont llike their chances at resigning, arguably, the best G in all of football....then they must try to facilitate a trade with Arizona

Why doesnt the Steelers front office attempt to get some return for guys that they know are gonna walk away????

Are you willing to blow a hole in this season with no replacement for Faneca apparently being available in order to get draft picks for future years?

Not saying you are wrong but to get any draft pick(s) by moving Faneca now the prospects for the 2007 season will take a nose dive.

tony hipchest
03-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Are you willing to blow a hole in this season with no replacement for Faneca apparently being available in order to get draft picks for future years?

Not saying you are wrong but to get any draft pick(s) by moving Faneca now the prospects for the 2007 season will take a nose dive.now i dont wanna minimize faneca cause if hes not the #1 guard in the game he's no lower than #2. but if we wait til next year for him to be gone arent we just putting off this impending doom of life w/o faneca for one more year? have the steelers done absolutely nothing to this point to plan for an injury or even worse, his departure?

i think one of the most damning things on russ grimm is we have all these young back up o linemen and absolutely zero confidence any of them can even play. atleast back in 04 we had players like ross and vincent who could be plugged in. with no significant injuries, last year looked looked like 03.

we all knew hartings would be gone and it doesnt even look like we planned accordingly for that other than extending a back up (okolbi) and drafting phillip in the 6th round. is this what were gonna do to plan for fanecas departure next year?

Preacher
03-28-2007, 03:47 PM
now i dont wanna minimize faneca cause if hes not the #1 guard in the game he's no lower than #2. but if we wait til next year for him to be gone arent we just putting off this impending doom of life w/o faneca for one more year? have the steelers done absolutely nothing to this point to plan for an injury or even worse, his departure?

i think one of the most damning things on russ grimm is we have all these young back up o linemen and absolutely zero confidence any of them can even play. atleast back in 04 we had players like ross and vincent who could be plugged in. with no significant injuries, last year looked looked like 03.

we all knew hartings would be gone and it doesnt even look like we planned accordingly for that other than extending a back up (okolbi) and drafting phillip in the 6th round. is this what were gonna do to plan for fanecas departure next year?

I am not too sure of our chances WITH Fanaca this year.

1. His attitude is such that could poison the locker room which is very bad for a team

2. He MISSED voluntary workouts... WITH A NEW COACH. Which means, he is behind the rest of the team right now in whatever thing the coach wants to do. BY CHOICE

3. We are getting a new offensive playbook, Ben is calling the line blocking, not the line, etc. Fanaca missed ALL of that.

Are you all SURE that there will be such a nose dive with him gone? I am not so sure. Now, if he kept his mouth shut. If he showed up for practice, that would be a TOTALLY different situation. I do not doubt his talent. His ability to perform within the NEW SYSTEM is what I am starting to doubt.

ChronoCross
03-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Everyone can take guesses why Faneca has missed the first part of the program, then they can also look back and it is nothing new for Faneca to missed the first part. Even with a coach change is not going to change his duties. Ya it would be nice for him to be there because of the new staff to get worked in with them. Is it something to be alarmed about no. Is Tomlin satisfied with Faneca excuse for not being there, Yes Tomlin is.

Ben will not call every last bit of the line blocking, him and the center who ever they choose will be working as a team together to call out the blocking.

Faneca is smart and a veteran it will not take much for him to pick up on a smaller play book and assignments and changes in that book. Faneca would be crazy to sluff off a season when he could play at the top of his game to make a bid to get a bigger contract next year with another team if we do not resign him before them.

Atlanta Dan
03-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Leaving cap issues aside, from a skills standpoint the Steelers pretty clearly are better off with Faneca than without him. His best days are behind him but his curent days are still pretty good.

As I discussed at length in another post (to mixed reviews) the Steelers practice has been to get all they can out of a player rather than trade him in the last year of his contract before FA for draft choices. Thta practice theoretically avoids chalks up a year to "rebuilding" by trading on the field talent for future picks that are not yet on the field.

It is my recollection they also have never (except for Maddox) ever reworked a contract with more than one year of the contract left. That is a problem when,as now, you have an explosion in FA salary levels and you are unable to sign players for the price you could have received if you had not waited until the last year of the contract.

They may need to change both those practices to account for the current explosion in salaries (which may have left them flatfooted in terms of what they thought Faneca could get elsewhere) but their plan has worked fairly well over the last 15 years. Not saying the Rooneys are infallible, just that they have a method and stick to it.

tony hipchest
03-28-2007, 05:43 PM
They may need to change both those practices to account for the current explosion in salaries (which may have left them flatfooted in terms of what they thought Faneca could get elsewhere) but their plan has worked fairly well over the last 15 years. Not saying the Rooneys are infallible, just that they have a method and stick to it.i seriously think they need to change their policies of not re-negotiating deals early. philadelphia has become a master of this and they have been saving quite a bit of money in the long run. im sure they are breathing a heavy sigh of relief they scrapped the rest of shawn andrews rookie contract and wont see him hit the market any time soon.

i think its obvious anthony smith is gonna be a part of our future. why not give him a 5 year extension? sure we will pay a few extra million on the remainding 2 years of his contract, but we will save millions plus alot of cap space 4-5 years in the future.

i think we have holmes on a 5year deal for only 8 million. its possible he becomes a top 5-10 wr in the league after his next 2 years. if this were to happen we would have a top 10 wr with 2 years left on his contract making less than 2 million/year. the rooneys philosophy has been to squeeze that basement price out of their young stars, but weve seen how that can lead to holdouts and forced trades. (briggs?, branch)

what about heath miller? do we really want him thinking about the money minnesota gave vicante shincoe (sp?). 7 million guaranteed to jeremy shockeys backup????:jawdrop:

steelafan
03-28-2007, 06:17 PM
The point I thought might be obvious in the Ron Cook column was that we don't need to worry about Faneca being ready to play and about his missing VOLUNTARY work-out sessions.

1. You have to know he is going to arrive in shape. There's no reason to think that all of a sudden he will stop working out during the offseason now.

2. He is well able to pick up any play-book changes/rewrites that are introduced. Some of you might remember that in his ROOKIE season, as a 20-year-old, in spite of missing some days of training camp, he STILL worked his way into the starting line-up by the 3rd game - and has stayed there ever since. I would think he's not going to have a problem making the transition now.

3. The only time anyone has reported anything near a "bad attitude" from Faneca has been the two times a reporter asked him questions to which he gave honest answers (about a rookie quarterback, and about what his preference in coaches would have been). He has quietly set a good examnple all these years. Doesn't that count for anything??? Do you think his personality has changed all of a sudden?

The only reason I can think of for all the negative comments about Faneca is that some people always look for the negative. I'm glad I don't have friends like some of you. - - - -I know - you're not Faneca's friend - Good thing for him.

Atlanta Dan
03-28-2007, 06:40 PM
The point I thought might be obvious in the Ron Cook column was that we don't need to worry about Faneca being ready to play and about his missing VOLUNTARY work-out sessions.

1. You have to know he is going to arrive in shape. There's no reason to think that all of a sudden he will stop working out during the offseason now.

2. He is well able to pick up any play-book changes/rewrites that are introduced. Some of you might remember that in his ROOKIE season, as a 20-year-old, in spite of missing some days of training camp, he STILL worked his way into the starting line-up by the 3rd game - and has stayed there ever since. I would think he's not going to have a problem making the transition now.

3. The only time anyone has reported anything near a "bad attitude" from Faneca has been the two times a reporter asked him questions to which he gave honest answers (about a rookie quarterback, and about what his preference in coaches would have been). He has quietly set a good examnple all these years. Doesn't that count for anything??? Do you think his personality has changed all of a sudden?

The only reason I can think of for all the negative comments about Faneca is that some people always look for the negative. I'm glad I don't have friends like some of you. - - - -I know - you're not Faneca's friend - Good thing for him.

For the most part a nice insightful post except for the caps and the last paragraph.

The long term posters on this board certainly do not agree about everything but with the help of the mods the personal attacks are kept to a minimum.

For someone who has been posting less than a month you certainly have been able to reach some pretty sweeping conclusions not only about our opinions on football but our general character flaws as well.

Some might start off posting in a different manner than saying whether other posters are worthy of being your friend. But welcome to the board - if you regard this response as too negative please consider the use of the ignore feature, as I will.

Suitanim
03-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Wow...according to some here, the micro doesn't scale up to the macro...

The rest of us recognize that this is no different (in its own perverse way) than the most productive McD's employee rightfully wanting to be paid more than the dope smoking bum who's late every day, calls off sick half the time and screws up all the orders. If he doesn't make a couple bucks an hour more than the loser, he can and should walk over to Burger King across the street and get what he deserves.

GBMelBlount
03-28-2007, 09:56 PM
For the most part a nice insightful post except for the caps and the last paragraph.

The long term posters on this board certainly do not agree about everything but with the help of the mods the personal attacks are kept to a minimum.

For someone who has been posting less than a month you certainly have been able to reach some pretty sweeping conclusions not only about our opinions on football but our general character flaws as well.

Some might start off posting in a different manner than saying whether other posters are worthy of being your friend. But welcome to the board - if you regard this response as too negative please consider the use of the ignore feature, as I will...

......agreed......everyone is entitled to their opinion...we are all on the same team....no need for personal attacks.

tony hipchest
03-28-2007, 10:15 PM
i dont quite buy into the theory that bill cowher half assed it through the season last year due to money disputes; however, that seems to be a popular opinion amongst steelerfans.

if i do digest that opinion, then it seems possible that faneca could do the same, playing to avoid getting injured, so he can cash in on his huge payday with another team. (even if the steelers could afford it they never pay a player to be the highest paid player at their respective position). when a player is playing to avoid injury, thats usually when injuries happen.

with all this being said, is it too far fetched to think that if the steelers could convert faneca into a player such as justin blaylock, they are looking out for the long term well being of the team, rather than holding on to "what may be" for faneca in his final year? i seriously doubt the whole team will rally behind him to win a bowl like they did for jerome. maybe im off base but he doesnt strike me as that type of rallying point for all his team mates.

were definitely better with him for next year, and if he leaves as a free agent, were almost assured a 3rd round compensetory pick. if faneca were thrown into the draft this season, he would be selected in the 1st 40 picks. id expect nothing less in a trade.

GBMelBlount
03-28-2007, 10:33 PM
The differnce is that I am making a point about football players - what you are doing is throwing out labels that are intended to insult.

Just so you know, it isn't 'your right' to say what you want on here - there are rules and codes of conduct and you are outside them right now.

Take this as a friendly warning - keep your commentary to the footballers and not my political persuasion.

you're right. sorry.

Lyn
03-28-2007, 11:48 PM
AF's aunt belongs to my club and she maintains he has talked to Tomlin about not showing and the reason is his daughter's current illness. Tomlin did excuse him.

Preacher
03-29-2007, 01:31 AM
AF's aunt belongs to my club and she maintains he has talked to Tomlin about not showing and the reason is his daughter's current illness. Tomlin did excuse him.

If that is true...

Then I have to back off of what I said. However, I am still leary.

OneForTheToe
03-29-2007, 02:52 AM
If that is true...

Then I have to back off of what I said. However, I am still leary.

Well, it was reported on KDKA a few days ago that there was a medical excuse.( I posted it a few pages back). Of course, it's hard to get conformation on these type of things.

Preacher
03-29-2007, 05:00 AM
I gotta admit...

I have respect for anyone who will put thier children first.

It is just that with how vocal he's been, well. And I don't by the "Press put the mic in my face."

Ben was given a GOLDEN opportunity to blame the accident last year, and write it all off as a fluke. He instead spoke of his problem, and how he needs to fix it.

Mic or no mic, a person is in control of thier own mouth.

coachspeak33
03-29-2007, 10:59 AM
I have said it on other threads....

I firmly believe that the rooney's know today whether or not they are going to offer Big Al a fair market value contract.

If they plan on it...odds are he stays and we have little worries when it comes to the LG position until around 2011

If they dont then they need to start talking to teams as we approach the draft.

Tony Hipchest brought this up a while back and at first I didnt know how I felt about trading, who I feel is the best G in football.

But I hated seeing Joey walk while we get nothing in return...he was still under contract...I hve to believe that if one team is willing to commit that much money in a guy that they werent the only ones who were interested in him

Then I watch the Phins add a few picks (one of which is a day 1 selection) by moving a special teamer who can play the slot!!!!!!!

Then Art II sneaks into Dan's bedroom to get some cash from under his pillow and spends it on....(drumroll please....) a guard/center.

Possible Faneca replacement???? who knows (besides the rooneys)

Memo to Colbert: Please contact teams who lost during the Davis/Dockery/Steinbach sweepstakes and see what kind of draft pick we can get for #66

Suitanim
03-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Well, there you go...many, many teams have adopted the "Eagles plan" of drafting NEXT years replacement player a year early. If we draft a stud G with an early pick, we are hedging against Alan being too expensive.

GBMelBlount
03-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Well, there you go...many, many teams have adopted the "Eagles plan" of drafting NEXT years replacement player a year early. If we draft a stud G with an early pick, we are hedging against Alan being too expensive.

If we pick a solid guard early, do you still think we might want another solid O-line pick in the draft. Also, If we draft a strong guard and we resign Faneca, do we just move the draft pick somewhere else?...other guard position?

Steelersfan4life0655
03-30-2007, 09:21 PM
well i have always been a firm believer that you cant win with out a good offensive line, so in my opinion you probably would have to get atleast 2 solid draft picks that are offensive linemen. since our line was a question mark last year and the things that are going with Faneca, u should probably stock that position to that it wont bite us in the ass later down the road.

Suitanim
03-30-2007, 10:03 PM
If we pick a solid guard early, do you still think we might want another solid O-line pick in the draft. Also, If we draft a strong guard and we resign Faneca, do we just move the draft pick somewhere else?...other guard position?

If we draft a guard in rd 1 or two, we won't re-sign Faneca.

Preacher
03-30-2007, 10:38 PM
If we draft a guard in rd 1 or two, we won't re-sign Faneca.

I was about to say that I agreed... however, we are already weak at guard. Fanaca is our only strong one. I like Kemo.. but he is still somewhat a project. So we may draft to fill the hole on the right side...

Can anyone seriously see tying up that much money in the O Line??

GBMelBlount
03-31-2007, 09:20 PM
I was about to say that I agreed... however, we are already weak at guard. Fanaca is our only strong one. I like Kemo.. but he is still somewhat a project. So we may draft to fill the hole on the right side...

Can anyone seriously see tying up that much money in the O Line??

So if we do tie up Faneca before the draft, do you think we should still draft another another 1 or 2 O-line earlier on, or later round projects? I was thinking "D" focus early in the draft, but what was more of a problem last year, O or D? So what do you think should be addressed early?

Suitanim
04-01-2007, 03:09 PM
We'll have to draft a G either way...it's where they draft him that matters. Mahan was signed to a 5 year contract, so they are serious about getting production out of him. Kendell Simmons played lights-out in our SB run, so who's to say he won't rebound?

Elvis
04-01-2007, 06:18 PM
I just think that OL is a big question mark on our team in my opinion. Faneca is or shouldnt get a long term deal here in Pittsburgh, that is a proven fact for someone his age and what he will be asking for as far as money$$$$$ Dont see it happening
Be Ready, for Jesus is Coming Soon...
Elvis

GBMelBlount
04-01-2007, 09:25 PM
We'll have to draft a G either way...it's where they draft him that matters. Mahan was signed to a 5 year contract, so they are serious about getting production out of him. Kendell Simmons played lights-out in our SB run, so who's to say he won't rebound?

So if we draft a good lineman or two, plus what we have, how good can we be? average? I honestly have no idea. Just know it sounds like we've had overall problems when O-line substandard.

Suitanim
04-02-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure...I'm more worried about center.

The Steelers have taken the same exact line that sucked one year and played well with them the next year a couple times in just the last few years...I defer to their expert judgement.

GBMelBlount
04-02-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure...I'm more worried about center.

The Steelers have taken the same exact line that sucked one year and played well with them the next year a couple times in just the last few years...I defer to their expert judgement.

Not 100% sure why but how can you disagree with that statement. Hope that is the same this year. One less thing to worry about.