PDA

View Full Version : Former Steeler DE Heads to Iraq

Livinginthe past
03-21-2007, 09:00 AM
I wish this guy all the best, and hope he comes home safe.

Any of you guys remember him?

He played 23 games over the 99/00 seasons.

A former NFL player who left the sport to join the Marines and was motivated by college roommate Pat Tillman was heading for Iraq on Tuesday night.

Tillman died in the conflict in Afghanistan.

Lance Cpl. Jeremy Staat, a former defensive lineman for the Pittsburgh Steelers and the St. Louis Rams who had been playing Arena football, was one of 300 Marines in the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment being deployed from Kaneohe Bay. The unit is expected to be in Iraq for seven months.

"The way I look at it, we're spreading freedom, and you have to support the troops and you have to support the war," Staat, 29, told KITV in Honolulu on Tuesday as he prepared to leave from Hawaii. "You can't just tell some Marine who just lost his buddy that we supported you but not the war, because in that case you're basically saying that Marine, his buddy, just died for nothing. We're one team."

Tillman, who played defensive back for the Arizona Cardinals, was killed by friendly fire near the Pakistan-Afghanistan border in April 2004. The Defense Department is investigating allegations of a cover-up, including the Army's failure to tell Tillman's family for several weeks that he had been killed by gunfire from his fellow Army Rangers, not by enemy fire as they initially were told.

Tillman gave up a $1.2 million NFL contract to join the Army Rangers.

Staat said he felt compelled to join the military after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, but Tillman, who was his roommate at Arizona State, advised him to stay with professional football until he qualified for retirement benefits.

"I felt there is more to life than just a game," Staat said, adding that Tillman's death helped motivate him to enlist.

Staat played for the Steelers from 1998 to 2000, and played two games with the Rams in 2003. He was playing for the Los Angeles Avengers of the Arena Football League before being put on the league's suspended list.

He graduated from the San Diego Marine Corps Recruit Depot in March 2006.

To enlist, the 6-foot-5 player said last year that he dropped from 310 to 260 pounds. He said three months of boot camp training gave him a deeper appreciation for team camaraderie.

"The Marine Corps is completely different ... it's more of a marathon than a sprint," he said Tuesday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2806485

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-21-2007, 10:57 AM
I remember Jeremy very well...and am very proud of the sacrifice that he is making....I know it sounds strange..but it seems that A little bit of Pat is headed back overseas now.

steelerbackr4life
03-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Here is another link to the same story. Prayers out to him on his dangerous journey.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6592988?MSNHPHCP&GT1=9232

The Duke
03-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Best of luck

Stlrs4Life
03-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Remember him well, best of Luck Jeremy, and Godspeed.

Cape Cod Steel Head
03-21-2007, 04:48 PM
This has already been posted. A mod should merge threads.

SteelShooter
03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Awesome! Well, he is a brother to me now.

polamalufan43
03-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Good luck to him and prayers for him to stay safe.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

GBMelBlount
03-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Good luck to him and prayers for him to stay safe.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

ditto:usa:

83-Steelers-43
03-21-2007, 11:46 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2007-03-21/0322staat2-a.jpg U.S. Marine and former Steelers defensive lineman Jeremy Staat

DJfan
03-22-2007, 12:14 AM
http://images.nfl.com/photos/img9304804.jpg

God speed. Thanks for being an American.

(Does this make him a Patriot?)

83-Steelers-43
03-22-2007, 12:23 AM
(Does this make him a Patriot?)

No.......well, if he knocks up half of Iraq while on duty and then bolts for the door then yeah.

:wink02:

stlrtruck
03-22-2007, 08:54 AM
May God bless him and ALL THE MEN AND WOMEN who make the personal sacrifice to serve this country and us!!!

BOXCAR JOEY
03-22-2007, 11:36 AM
good luck, and if your CO gives you lip just salute him in the field.

SteelShooter
03-23-2007, 05:32 PM
good luck, and if your CO gives you lip just salute him in the field.

:rofl: :heha: :rofl: :heha: :rofl: :heha: :busted: LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! :busted: :heha: :rofl: :heha: :rofl: :heha: :rofl:

SteelShooter
03-23-2007, 05:36 PM
May God bless him and ALL THE MEN AND WOMEN who make the personal sacrifice to serve this country and us!!!

Thanks Bro.......................

But it isn't us, it's all of you.

Our families, our friends, our acquaintances......YOU are the reason we do our job.
Thanks for the respect, thanks for the Love;
Take care of our families while we are away.
Bury our dead with dignity and an American Flag.
That is all we shall ever ask for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Name is Old Glory
In Memory of Those Who Died and Suffered on 9/11/01

I am the flag of the United States of America . . . My name is Old Glory.

I fly atop the world's tallest buildings. I stand watch in America's halls of justice. I fly majestically over great institutes of learning. I stand guard with the greatest military power in the world.

Look up! And see me!

I stand for peace, honor, truth, and justice . . . I stand for freedom . . . I am confident . . . I am arrogant . . . I am proud.

When I am flown with my fellow banners . . . My head is a little higher . . . My colors a little truer. I bow to no one.

I am recognized all over the world. I am worshipped . . . I am saluted . . . I am respected . . . I am revered . . . I am loved . . . And I am feared.

I have fought every battle of every war for more than 200 years . . . Gettysburg, Shilo, Appomatox, San Juan Hill, the trenches of France, the Argonne Forest, Anzio, Rome, the beaches of Normandy, the deserts of Africa, the cane fields of the Philippines, the rice paddies and jungles of Guam, Okinawa, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Guadalcanal New Britain, Peleliu, and many more islands.

And a score of places long forgotten by all but those who were with me.
I was there.

I led my soldiers . . . I followed them . . . I watched over them . . . They loved me.

I was on a small hill in Iwo Jima.
I was dirty, battle-worn and tired, but my soldiers cheered me, and I was proud.

I have been soiled, burned, torn and trampled on the streets of countries I have helped set free.
It does not hurt, for I am invincible.

I have been soiled, burned, torn and trampled on the streets of my country, and when it is by those with whom I have served in battle - it hurts. But I shall overcome - for I am strong.

I have slipped the bonds of Earth and stand watch over the uncharted new frontiers of space from my vantage point on the moon. I have been a silent witness to all of America's finest hours.

But my finest hour comes when I am torn into strips to be used for bandages for my wounded comrades on the field of battle . . . When I fly at half mast to honor my soldiers . . . And when I lie in the trembling arms of a grieving mother at the graveside of her fallen son.

I am proud.
My name is Old Glory.
Dear God - Long may I wave.

noto45
03-23-2007, 07:23 PM
good luck and thank you for protecting the USA

BettisFan
03-23-2007, 07:25 PM
how long do u guys think he will be out there?

SteelCityMan786
03-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Risking his life for his country. Class Act. Let's hope he stays safe.

BettisFan
03-23-2007, 07:42 PM
its great publicity for us

SteelShooter
03-24-2007, 12:17 AM
how long do u guys think he will be out there?

He's a Marine.................6mos to a year.

floodcitygirl
03-24-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm humbled by the sacrifice. Thank you.

SCSTILLER
03-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Good luck and god speed Jeremy! SteelShooter, love the bit about the Flag, been awhile since I have heard that, good to hear again.

Suitanim
03-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Jeremy was a stud in college...I think he had like 23 sacks in his senior year at ASU.