PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid Questions 101

Kittyfish
03-21-2007, 09:52 AM
*takes deep breath*

verks36 kindly told me in the introductions forum:

Feel free to ask stupid question i can assure you willl get you question anserwed without being made fun of. This is a great steeler community with a common theme a love for da stillers. So as long as you love the steelers you are fine.

I am going to make the huge assumption that maybe some other people are as ignorant as I am about some things. I'm not really sure where to put this - no other forum seemed appropiate. Mods, please move if I guessed wrong.

Let me stress I do love me some Steelers - I am fairly new to the football world in general and am still trying to learn about the game. I'm sure my father could have helped me with some of my queries, but unfortunately he passed just about the time I became interested in football. Never mind he was a huge Redskins fan (I grew up near DC) and I was exposed to football all my life but never cared until 2001.

Here are a few stupid questions to start you off, not all of them Steelers related:

1) The Steelers seem to be known for their gadget plays. Why doesn't everybody use them more often? Anybody is allowed to throw the football, right? Wouldn't it be really confusing to the opposing team if they never really knew what was going to happen, if the offense mixed it up a lot of the time? I realize not everybody can throw a good spiral, but a lot of non-quarterbacks can throw a decent ball, and several players seem to have been quarterbacks in college, if not in the pros (Ward, Randle El).

2) When did quarterbacks stop calling the plays? I thought it was part of the quarterback's job to run the offense, or at least it was in the past. Why did this change?

3) A big deal was made a while back over someone drop-kicking a field goal, and it was said it hadn't been done in 40 years of something. Why did this stop, since it's apparently still legal? Why don't people do it more often?

4) Why don't the Steelers have a mascot or cheerleaders? Mind you, I am personally awfully glad that we don't; it just seems so frivolous and High School to me. I realize that it would be kind of hard to come up with a Steelers mascot, but even the Springfield Isotopes managed to come up with something. :-) What other teams have neither a mascot nor cheerleaders?

5) If I ever get a tattoo, I want a little Steelers logo - you know, the white circle with the three diamonds. What does that logo stand for? And why is it only on one side of the helmet?

6) Franco Harris vs Jerome Bettis. Lynn Swann vs Johnny Stallworth vs Hines Ward. Who was scarier, Joe Greene or Jack Lambert? (Personally, JL freaks me the hell out, but in a good way.) Or was someone else, say Dwight White, LC, or Ernie-whose-last-name-escapes-me-at-the-moment scarier than they?

7) What are those bands some players wear just above their elbows for?

8) If a 4th down punt/kickoff happens to go through the goal posts, does it count for three points?

9) When a player leaves for another team, as seems to happen fairly often, does the original team have to change its playbook so that the player can't tell his new team all the original team's plays? Seems to me they would have to, but it would be awfully confusing for the players that are left.

10) Why is the transition from college ball to the pros so difficult? I understand that it is a huge deal, and some players can't handle it. But it seems to me that the college players have to think quickly, get off their passes/run their routes quickly, get tackled as hard as the opposing team can hit them, etc. Do the college rules "pamper" the players that much, so that going to the pros is a huge shock to them? I am even less familiar with college ball rules than I am with the pros.

These are the things that Football for Dummies etc won't tell you.

Please forgive me if all of this seems like nonsense and a waste of time to most of you. I really am curious about these things, and would appreciate any insight y'all can give me. I did try to warn you that my questions were stupid. And you all can feel smart while telling me what should be obvious to anybody with half a brain.

Besides, I have to get my post count up to 5 if I want to be able to see any links. :-)

Thanks in advance...

*takes another deep breath and hits submit*

Kittyfish
03-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Did I stun everybody into silence with my ignorance?

Anyway, I thought of another...

11) I know Steeler fans are supposed to hate the Browns and the Bengals, and I do. But why? What's the history there? I can see for myself why we're not too fond of the Cowboys. "America's Team." Um, okay...

Livinginthe past
03-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Great thread Kitty.

The guys and gals here will be more than happy to help.

I'll give you a few of the answers (as I see them).

1. Gadget plays rely on the element of surprise, if they were used too often then the defense would be too well prepared for them.

Why don't all teams use them? Thats a good question - basically alot can go wrong with a regular play - factor in players not playing their strongest position in a trick play and it becomes a pretty risky proposition.

Coaches also don't like egg on their faces.

2. All QB's call the plays to some extent - at one end of the spectrum you have guys like Peyton Manning who has almost complete control over the offense - right down to guys like Mike Vick who is allowed a couple of audibles (changes to the play dependent on what he sees the defense doing before the snap) - these would be very basic - he might change from a pass to a run for example.

3. Drop kicking is not practiced in pro football - its alot harder to catch a ball as its dropping than if it is placed and held on the ground.

9. One of the worst cases of failing to chnage a playbook in recent history was the SB match up between Oakland and Tampa Bay. Coach Gruden left Oakland for Tampa - and that very year they met in the showpiece game - Oakland hadn't made any significant changes to the playbook and Tampa knew what was coming before it happened.

Result? Blow out win for Tampa.

You'll get plenty of responses for the other questions. :cheers:

DACEB
03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
4. I being a man wouldn't mind the cheerleaders, but I live in Mass. so for me to get to Heinz field is difficult with my schedule. As far as mascots, I'm not a big fan, I suppose we could have a steel worker.

5. The logo is based on the actual steel logo or Steelmark insignia. If you look at a can, of hairspray for example, in the back by the manufactures info you might see the steel logo. The Steelers just printed Steelers instead of steel. As far as it being on one side, they were just trying it and just left it that way.

fansince'76
03-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Hey Kitty, the only "stoopid" question is the one that isn't asked.

5. The logo represents U.S. Steel Corporation, which used to have many steel mills in the Pittsburgh area. They originally put the logo on one side of the helmet to see if they would like it on a gold helmet (the Steelers helmet was all gold at the time), and after all the interest having the logo on one side created, they decided to keep it that way. http://www.steelers.com/tradition/logohistory/

8. No - in both cases (punt or kickoff), it would be a touchback and the receiving team gets the ball at their own 20.

Welcome to the board! :cheers:

tony hipchest
03-21-2007, 11:25 AM

11) I know Steeler fans are supposed to hate the Browns and the Bengals, and I do. But why? What's the history there? I can see for myself why we're not too fond of the Cowboys. "America's Team." Um, okay...because they are longtime interconference rivals and there are 2 games against them each year.

also because a bunch of their fans are jagoffs who go into jealous fits of rage over the steelers decades of dominance. its also a pennsylvania/ohio thing.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-21-2007, 11:33 AM
because they are longtime interconference rivals and there are 2 games against them each year.

also because a bunch of their fans are jagoffs who go into jealous fits of rage over the steelers decades of dominance. its also a pennsylvania/ohio thing.

:iagree:

verks36
03-21-2007, 11:37 AM

Those are either under armor or NFL equipment sweat bands. These bands go around your bicep. So it works the same way as a wristband but it is skinnier and goes around your bicep. Also people like it because it is a constant tension on your muscle which some people get pumped up because of it. These are becoming very popular in high school football as well.
http://img.nextag.com/image/Under_Armour_Headband_Black/0/000/000/885/380/88538015.jpg

This is a awsome thread and it felt sort of wierd to see my name up their in the big quote. Sweet job and a great way to start a thread

TDSteeler
03-21-2007, 11:57 AM
*takes deep breath*

Here are a few stupid questions to start you off, not all of them Steelers related:

1) The Steelers seem to be known for their gadget plays. Why doesn't everybody use them more often? Anybody is allowed to throw the football, right? Wouldn't it be really confusing to the opposing team if they never really knew what was going to happen, if the offense mixed it up a lot of the time? I realize not everybody can throw a good spiral, but a lot of non-quarterbacks can throw a decent ball, and several players seem to have been quarterbacks in college, if not in the pros (Ward, Randle El).

2) When did quarterbacks stop calling the plays? I thought it was part of the quarterback's job to run the offense, or at least it was in the past. Why did this change?

3) A big deal was made a while back over someone drop-kicking a field goal, and it was said it hadn't been done in 40 years of something. Why did this stop, since it's apparently still legal? Why don't people do it more often?

4) Why don't the Steelers have a mascot or cheerleaders? Mind you, I am personally awfully glad that we don't; it just seems so frivolous and High School to me. I realize that it would be kind of hard to come up with a Steelers mascot, but even the Springfield Isotopes managed to come up with something. :-) What other teams have neither a mascot nor cheerleaders?

5) If I ever get a tattoo, I want a little Steelers logo - you know, the white circle with the three diamonds. What does that logo stand for? And why is it only on one side of the helmet?

6) Franco Harris vs Jerome Bettis. Lynn Swann vs Johnny Stallworth vs Hines Ward. Who was scarier, Joe Greene or Jack Lambert? (Personally, JL freaks me the hell out, but in a good way.) Or was someone else, say Dwight White, LC, or Ernie-whose-last-name-escapes-me-at-the-moment scarier than they?

8) If a 4th down punt/kickoff happens to go through the goal posts, does it count for three points?

9) When a player leaves for another team, as seems to happen fairly often, does the original team have to change its playbook so that the player can't tell his new team all the original team's plays? Seems to me they would have to, but it would be awfully confusing for the players that are left.

10) Why is the transition from college ball to the pros so difficult? I understand that it is a huge deal, and some players can't handle it. But it seems to me that the college players have to think quickly, get off their passes/run their routes quickly, get tackled as hard as the opposing team can hit them, etc. Do the college rules "pamper" the players that much, so that going to the pros is a huge shock to them? I am even less familiar with college ball rules than I am with the pros.

1.) Its the element of surprise, if you run to many of them all the time people start to catch on and plays that require the defense to over pursue or bite won't anymore. Some people don't like to use them cause they would consider them not "real" football.

2.) This one was already answered.

3.) Like someone said this is harder than place kicking.

4.) Art Rooney used to say that the every fan was a cheerleader. If you need some girl jumping up and down to get you excited about the football game then move to Dallas. I heard somewhere they have a couple. :cheer:

5.) The logo is the US Steel symbol and its still used today. If you look on products made of steel you will see the same symbol (minus the ers at the end) it was borrowed for the team. It was only put on one side to save money while they saw if anyone liked it. And it stuck. :helmet:

6.) This is a personel question. Your going to get alot of answers.

7.) I always thought they were there so when they get tackled on astro turf it prevents them from skinning their elbows. Alot of teams your sand and salt on the field and having missing skin on your elbow filled with saly can be a distraction.

8.) I don't think it counts. I am not sure but I was always under the impression that when they are punting and kicking off its the formation that says that they are not going for points.

9.) The problem is that most teams only get about a weak or maybe 2 to practice for anyone one team. So I am sure that every game plays are added and removed, but even if someone knew them all it would be difficult to tell everyone all the plays. Also, you have to remember that its not all about the play but how each player plays the play. If you knew of a guys weakness a year ago, he might have fixed it in the offseason.

10.) Is hard to make it because of the sheer numbers. Think of how many highschool football teams that you know in the US and then think that only the better players play in college. Then think of how many player that play in college compared to the 32 teams in the nfl carrying 53 players and 80 players in the offseason. And you have to remember only a few are retiring each year so they only need to bring in what they are losing. No one cuts Payton Manning to bring in a college kid. Here is a pretty good website that talks about the odds. ww.nflpa.org/Faqs/NFL_HopefulsFaq.aspx

I hope that helped. Also you should look around in the Steelers Past section of this great site ww.steelersfever.com cause it has more info about your questions. Probably with better and more accuracy than I can give.

:cheers: Cheers

DACEB
03-21-2007, 11:58 AM
11. To add to what Tony said. It doesn't help matters when an opposing player wipes his shoes with our terrible towel (bungal t.j. housyomama)

8. Only a field goal counts for 3 points. Punts are change of possesion and kickoffs are at the beginning of a half or after a score.

6. It's always fun to compare players from different eras. As far as scary, Lambert with no teeth or Dick Butkus (Chi. Bears), some players have a little more attitude. Nowadays the players can't get away with as many intimidation tactics as years gone by. But by all accounts you never know what goes on in a pileup (biting, punches to the groin etc.)

DACEB
03-21-2007, 12:00 PM
I must say Kitty it seems like you've gotten alot of male attention.

Oh, and by the way verks 36 and LITP, you're sooo sweet!

ChronoCross
03-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Long post.. lol..

Ill just answer one. We were the first to have cheerleaders and the last to get rid of them.

Cheerleaders and Mascot

The Pittsburgh Steelers made NFL history by having the first cheerleading squad for a professional team in 1961. The then-director of Steelers entertainment, Mr. William Day, was also the vice president of Robert Morris Junior College (now Robert Morris University) in Moon Township, Pa., decided to use women from the school as cheerleaders for the Steelers. They were known as the Steelerettes.[1]

In 1969, the Robert Morris women cheered their final season. With Robert Morris now having its own football team, interest in the Steelers on campus had dwindled.[2]

Now, the team that began the tradition of sideline cheerleaders in the NFL does not have its own squad. In fact, according to an About.com article, the Rooney family believes cheerleaders are pointless and are just blocking the spectator's view.[3]

TDSteeler
03-21-2007, 12:04 PM

11) I know Steeler fans are supposed to hate the Browns and the Bengals, and I do. But why? What's the history there? I can see for myself why we're not too fond of the Cowboys. "America's Team." Um, okay...

Well the Browns is because they are pretty close to pittsburgh and not to mention they have been around since the beginning. I don't think in the history of NFL that we haven't played them twice a year. Not to mention that the suck. The Bengals, I don't feel they are as big a baltimore, but only because they used to be the Browns.

Don't even get me started on the Cowboys....Everyone knows the truth about the true "America's Team". Anyone who thinks that they are "America's Team" is just lying to themselves. Cause on Sunday I can go anywhere from coast to coast and throw on my steelers jersey, get a pint, and within 10 mintues find a bar with people that will treat me like I was their long lost cousin. :tt02:

DACEB
03-21-2007, 12:05 PM
But what a view they are!!

Kittyfish
03-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Hey everybody - thank you SO MUCH for your responses! I was sure I'd be ignored and have to slink off into the darkness. Instead I feel warm and tingly all over. Hee.

I have learned a lot already, and yeah, some of those answers really are pretty obvious when you think about it. D'oh! But I really didn't know, and now I do. I really appreciate y'all's time - I'd love to hear more - and am very grateful to have a place to ask about all those little things that have been bugging me.

TDSteeler -
Well the Browns is because they are pretty close to pittsburgh and not to mention they have been around since the beginning. I don't think in the history of NFL that we haven't played them twice a year. Not to mention that the suck. The Bengals, I don't feel they are as big a baltimore, but only because they used to be the Browns.

The Bengals used to be the Browns? I had no idea. Growing up in Maryland, I did know about the Baltimore Colts going to Indianapolis under the cover of darkness. I think cities ought to keep the name of the teams - after all this time, you say "Baltimore" and I still say "Colts" instead of "Ravens". It's hard to keep up with and hard to get used to a familiar name moving to a new city.

Don't even get me started on the Cowboys....Everyone knows the truth about the true "America's Team". Anyone who thinks that they are "America's Team" is just lying to themselves. Cause on Sunday I can go anywhere from coast to coast and throw on my steelers jersey, get a pint, and within 10 mintues find a bar with people that will treat me like I was their long lost cousin.

Heh - I know what you mean. I've worn my Steelers shirts from Maryland to Mississippi and fellow fans always comment. Or at least I've never been heckled over it. I know when we go to "town", most of the people we see seem to be decked out in their Steelers wear. (I am beginning to think it would be appropiate funeral attire 'round these parts - hey, at least it's black.) I also understand there are Steelers Bars located all over the country.

I figured the Bengals/Browns rivalry probably had something to do with their proximity. It was fairly obvious we don't like "America's Team" because they are arses. Does anybody else root against the Eagles just on principle?

A couple more:

12) Did it seem as though a big deal was made about Ben starting in his rookie season? Now it seems as though there were a lot of rookie quarterbacks starting. Was I simply not paying attention before (which would be the truth) and there have always been a few rookie starters? If that is not the case, do you think Ben's success in his first year had anything to do with other teams putting in their rookie QBs right away?

13) Does it seem strange that Pittsburgh has a professional football team, a professional baseball team and even a professional hockey team, but not a basketball team? Not that I follow basketball anymore (I was a fan of the 76ers in my teens, for some reason), but it kind of strikes me as odd.

One more post and I can view links! Go me.

verks36
03-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Hey everybody - thank you SO MUCH for your responses! I was sure I'd be ignored and have to slink off into the darkness. Instead I feel warm and tingly all over. Hee.

13) Does it seem strange that Pittsburgh has a professional football team, a professional baseball team and even a professional hockey team, but not a basketball team? Not that I follow basketball anymore (I was a fan of the 76ers in my teens, for some reason), but it kind of strikes me as odd.

Ha feeling all tingly that is how i felt when i found this site after years of just looking at NFL.com and steelers.com:sun: :sun:

To anserwe your question. Guys correct me if i am wrong but i think there was once an nba team in Pitt but they moved or something. But we do have the PITT panthers in the sweet 16:thumbsup:

Kittyfish
03-21-2007, 04:33 PM
I am going to put this in a new post, just so's I can get to five. Yes, I'm cheating.

TDSteeler
10.) Is hard to make it because of the sheer numbers. Think of how many highschool football teams that you know in the US and then think that only the better players play in college. Then think of how many player that play in college compared to the 32 teams in the nfl carrying 53 players and 80 players in the offseason. And you have to remember only a few are retiring each year so they only need to bring in what they are losing. No one cuts Payton Manning to bring in a college kid. Here is a pretty good website that talks about the odds. ww.nflpa.org/Faqs/NFL_HopefulsFaq.aspx

Thank you for your long reply to my many questions, btw. Yes, I understand about the odds of going to the pros at all, but I was wondering about the players who were drafted and just couldn't cut it for whatever reason. I was watching some special on the NFL channel the other day, and it profiled two up and coming quarterbacks - for the life of me, I can't remember either one right now. But one wasn't able to make it in the pros and just kind of drifted around in the background for different teams for a while, and the other was fairly successful and had a good career. Is the difference between making it or not mostly mental, do you think? Or is pro football that much harder to play than college ball?

Fascinating stuff about the Steeler cheerleaders, ChronoCross. I never knew we had cheerleaders at all, and here we were, the first ones in and the last ones out. Huh.

verks36
03-21-2007, 04:35 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: YES you got to five now you can post links:thumbsup:

RoethlisBURGHer
03-21-2007, 04:44 PM

The more often the use,the more prepared a team is for them.A team cannot become dependant on gadget plays because they are less likley to work than a normal play.

Also,a gadget play isn't just a WR or TE throwing the ball.A reverse or a lateral is considered "gadget plays" and lining up a player at a different position (LB at TE,for example) is also a gadget play.

QB's still call a lot of plays,it all depends on how competent a QB is.

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady call a lot of thier own plays,they have the ability to change the play before the ball is snapped.They can change which pass play or run play,or switch to a run from a pass or a pass from a run.

A Michael Vick doesn't have that type of power over the offense.he can switch from a pass to a run or vice-versa,but you won't see him changing routes on a pass play.

Expect Big Ben to be given mroe controll of the offense.The O-Coordinator streamlined the playbook so it's not as cluttered as it once was.He's competent enough,and I believe will be able to do it.

It's harder to drop a ball,let it bounce off the ground,and then kick it then it is to do a traditional punt or place-kick.There is more room for error and more time for the kick to be blocked.

Because we don't need no stinking mascor or cheerleaders!The Browns don't have cheerleaders anyhow,but that's because there isn't enough good looking women in Cleveland to form a complete squad.

They all have thier special place in Steelers history and that Ernie guy is Ernie "Fats" Holmes.

I have no clue.

Nope,it's a change of possesion not an attempt to score.But damn,that kicker would have a leg!

No they don't because the playbook is so large and all the plays are not used normally.Also,teams already know which plays a coach likes to run best in certain situations.

Bengals and Browns are in out division.The Browns and Steelers have a special rivalry,nicknamed the Turnpike Rivalry because the teams are just a few short hours down the 'pike from each other.They have played twice a season each season since the NFL-AFL merger.Wanna know how deep the hatred goes?Ask a Steelers fan from the 70's era about the Cleveland Brown's Turkey Jones.

The Bengals are just mouthy lil jagoffs.

Kittyfish
03-21-2007, 05:09 PM
It came to me later that I thought Ernie's last name was Holmes, but I didn't change it for fear I was wrong. Better to admit up front you can't think of the name than putting the wrong one in, right?

Because we don't need no stinking mascor or cheerleaders! Yep, that's pretty much my feelings on the matter.

The Browns don't have cheerleaders anyhow, but that's because there isn't enough good looking women in Cleveland to form a complete squad.Now, that's just mean. Not to mention unnecessary. Not to mention insulting. Not to mention funny as all get-out! BWAH!

fansince'76
03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
The Bengals used to be the Browns? I had no idea. Growing up in Maryland, I did know about the Baltimore Colts going to Indianapolis under the cover of darkness. I think cities ought to keep the name of the teams - after all this time, you say "Baltimore" and I still say "Colts" instead of "Ravens". It's hard to keep up with and hard to get used to a familiar name moving to a new city.

No, actually the Ravens (alot of us like to call them the Ratbirds) used to be the Browns until Modell moved them to Baltimore for a new stadium. The new Browns (alot of us like to call them the Stains) started as an expansion team in 1999.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/longterm/memories/1995/95nfl4.htm

polamalufan43
03-21-2007, 06:44 PM
*takes deep breath*

Well, it has to do with Pittsburgh's Steel history. Each color stands for a substance that has to do with steel.
More info...

http://news.steelers.com/tradition/logohistory/

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

DJfan
03-22-2007, 12:25 AM

www.steelerettes.com

They are called "hypocycloids" actually.

Ernie Holmes

http://www.itsalreadysigned4u.com/shop/media/images/product_category/ernieholmes-8x10-thumb.jpg

I didn't play either, except for in my pre-adolesent mind. But, I understand that the talent level is so very much higher, and the details are greater in number. It seems that the best of the best college players make the NFL, leaving a large percentage out of the pros. So, each player competes against 11 GREAT athletes not just a few, surrounded by players like I only wish I were.

Also, welcome to the family. My wife had such a conversion when we started getting serious ("I won't marry you unless you are a Steelers fan!") and she loves the disease.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Now, that's just mean. Not to mention unnecessary. Not to mention insulting. Not to mention funny as all get-out! BWAH!

I can tell you that fact about Cleveland from experience,I live there.

Suitanim
03-22-2007, 08:06 PM
1) The Steelers seem to be known for their gadget plays. Why doesn't everybody use them more often? Anybody is allowed to throw the football, right? Wouldn't it be really confusing to the opposing team if they never really knew what was going to happen, if the offense mixed it up a lot of the time? I realize not everybody can throw a good spiral, but a lot of non-quarterbacks can throw a decent ball, and several players seem to have been quarterbacks in college, if not in the pros (Ward, Randle El).High risk vs high reward. The key is surprise, and, contrary to what you may have read, the more surprise plays you run, the more surprised the opposition MAY be. Boise State beat a better Oklahoma team by running gadget play after gadget play in college football last year, and, to a lesser degree, OSU lost to Florida because UF completely changed their gameplan and stayed with an unconventional plan (which amounts to about the same). The thing with gadget plays is that they must be executed to near perfection, and there are more variables on a gadget play

2) When did quarterbacks stop calling the plays? I thought it was part of the quarterback's job to run the offense, or at least it was in the past. Why did this change? Playbooks are hundreds of plays long now, and there are hundreds of thousands of variables. Still, I think that QB's could still call plays as variations or selections from suggestions from the OC.

9) When a player leaves for another team, as seems to happen fairly often, does the original team have to change its playbook so that the player can't tell his new team all the original team's plays? Seems to me they would have to, but it would be awfully confusing for the players that are left.There is definitely a "defection factor", and the Steelers have suffered from it...if someone picks up a QB off your scrap heap the opposing team will definitely glean a bit of an edge, reagrdless of how complex the offenses have become

10) Why is the transition from college ball to the pros so difficult? I understand that it is a huge deal, and some players can't handle it. But it seems to me that the college players have to think quickly, get off their passes/run their routes quickly, get tackled as hard as the opposing team can hit them, etc. Do the college rules "pamper" the players that much, so that going to the pros is a huge shock to them? I am even less familiar with college ball rules than I am with the pros. There are about 12,000 D-1 football players in college, and thousands upon thousands more playing in D-1A, D-2, etc, etc...the NFL has only 32 teams with 53 roster spots...even with scout team slots, we are talking about maybe 2,000 roster spots for literally hundreds of thousands of players vying for those spots...it's Darwinian