PDA

View Full Version : Falcons to trade Schaub to Texans

verks36
03-21-2007, 12:55 PM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10078226

day's end, the Atlanta Falcons will trade backup quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans, according to NFL sources. The Texans will surrender a second-round draft pick, and there could be other compensation involved.

The trade has massive ramifications. The Texans have their quarterback of the future, which David Carr no longer is. The Falcons are reaffirming their faith in Michael Vick, who now also needs a new backup. And the Texans are out of the Brady Quinn derby, leaving the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins as possible landing spots.

The trade, once officially completed, validates the Falcons' commitment to Vick, whom new Atlanta head coach Bobby Petrino told the first time they met, "You're my guy."

Since then, Petrino and Vick have been working together closely on an almost daily basis, prepping for the coming season.

The Falcons, who quietly had been entertaining offers for Schaub this offseason, had tendered their backup quarterback a $2 million offer, meaning that any team that signed him to an offer sheet would have to surrender first- and third-round draft choices to the Falcons. Of course, the Falcons also could always trade Schaub, and that is the course of action the team has pursued.

The Texans will be acquiring a quarterback that has thrown only 161 career passes, 81 of which were completed, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions. But Schaub long has been considered a quarterback worthy of starting, and he was the top bargaining chip the Falcons have.

Now they've decided to cash it in.

A second round pick is good but he got the better deal texans or falcons.

2. what is now going to happen to david car

tony hipchest
03-21-2007, 01:03 PM
it makes me wonder what an experienced game winner like batch would bring in trade value. carr is making good money in texas. he will probably be traded (browns maybe?)

the falcons got a good deal. they can find a back up like j. harrington or something.

ChronoCross
03-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Texans | Team on verge of acquiring Schaub
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:38:20 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans are on the verge of a trade that would send quarterback Matt Schaub to the Texans in exchange for a swapping of first-round draft picks in this year's NFL Draft, a second-round draft pick in this year's draft and a second-round pick in 2008. Schaub is trying to work out a long-term deal with the Texans. While the deal is not yet finalized, it is expected to be completed Wednesday, March 21.

verks36
03-21-2007, 01:07 PM
it makes me wonder what an experienced game winner like batch would bring in trade value. carr is making good money in texas. he will probably be traded (browns maybe?)

the falcons got a good deal. they can find a back up like j. harrington or something.

Ya it seems like the browns are the team that first comes to mind for the david carr bid. What do u think david carr is worth.

tony hipchest
03-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Texans | Team on verge of acquiring Schaub
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:38:20 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans are on the verge of a trade that would send quarterback Matt Schaub to the Texans in exchange for a swapping of first-round draft picks in this year's NFL Draft, a second-round draft pick in this year's draft and a second-round pick in 2008. Schaub is trying to work out a long-term deal with the Texans. While the deal is not yet finalized, it is expected to be completed Wednesday, March 21.

:jawdrop: talk about raking the texans over the coals! i wonder how many steelerfans would approve if this deal were for charlie batch? the patriots better sit brady for a few games just to get cassell some inflated trade value.

Edman
03-21-2007, 01:11 PM
This could go either way.

Vick may sell tickets, but he could still just suck/inconsistent in the long haul. Schaub may not pan out for the Texans and they're stuck with Carr and a possible QB controversy for a while.

tony hipchest
03-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Ya it seems like the browns are the team that first comes to mind for the david carr bid. What do u think david carr is worth.it seems the texans think he is worth alot less than 2 2nd rounders. i gotta think they will try to recoup a high 2nd rounder for him (oakland?)

BettisFan
03-21-2007, 01:39 PM
i live in hosuton i wonder is this true i mean the texans GM is stupid knowing him he will proablly still start carr( i hope he doesnt) but is this officail?

FeaR #83
03-21-2007, 02:11 PM
R.I.P Schaub September '07 :sofunny:

ChronoCross
03-21-2007, 02:16 PM
i live in hosuton i wonder is this true i mean the texans GM is stupid knowing him he will proablly still start carr( i hope he doesnt) but is this officail?

Ya its pretty official. But its not 100% yet. But should be later today.

So Texans bring in another QB who is not proven, but has hype to him. Behind a line that has given up 76 sacks in one season to carr his first year.. and season before last 68 sacks. Carr has taken a beaten. Multiple double digit fumbles from all the pressure. Schaub is going to be destroyed behind that line just like Carr was. Carr is faster then Schaub so we should see more sacks, unless they get smart and fix that line. There like the cards never address the OL like they should of in many many years. Well lets just put a tombstone on Schaubs career now, its over.

ChronoCross
03-21-2007, 02:22 PM
PFT is marking it as a great deal for the Falcons;

FALCONS GET GOOD STUFF FOR SCHAUB

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that the trade that sent quarterback Matt Schaub from the Falcons to the Texans involves not one but two second-round picks, plus a swap of first-round picks in 2007.

The Falcons held the No. 10 pick in round one, and the Texans held the No. 8 pick.

In all, it's a good haul for the Falcons. No one was going to give them a one and a three for Schaub. But to get two twos and a two-spot upgrade in the top ten is huge -- especially since it puts them in striking distance to make a deal that would put them in position to draft someone like Adrian Peterson or the one guy who could make the locals forget about Mike Vick: Calvin Johnson.

ChronoCross
03-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Texans | Schaub acquired
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:05:18 -0700

ESPNews reports the Houston Texans have acquired QB Matt Schaub from the Atlanta Falcons.

BettisFan
03-21-2007, 05:37 PM

polamalufan43
03-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Well, I'm not sure what to say. I it's a great trade but despite this something tells me I would have liked to see him stay with the Falcons.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

The Duke
03-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Well, I'm not sure what to say. I it's a great trade but despite this something tells me I would have liked to see him stay with the Falcons.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Yeah, what if Vick gets hurt, I don't think they have a proven QB in their roster other than Vick

tony hipchest
03-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah, what if Vick gets hurt, I don't think they have a proven QB in their roster other than Vickif vick gets hurt they will plug in his back up and expect him to do his job. i dont see the patriots or colts scrambling to acquire shaub wondering "what if tom or peyton get hurt".

this isnt like the old days where teams could afford to keep joe montana and steve young on the roster. shaub was leaving atlanta after this season. the falcons made a great move for actually getting some value for him.

i hope the steelers take the same approach with faneca.

Livinginthe past
03-22-2007, 01:56 AM
That a nice trade for Atlanta - two 2nd rounders (at least one of them high...probably both) and a move up two places in the 1st round.

I can't help but feel sorry for David Carr - he has been beaten up like rag doll because his FO have completely disregarded the importance of a competent offensive line.

The funny thing is Schaub will probably get a much better shot at success, if they wake up and invest some time and money in that area.

Interesting fact - David Carr had the highest completion % last year in the whole of the NFL.

Now that the Texans have their starter in place Carr should available at a very decent price - 4th rounder I would guess...at most.

Miami should take a look instead of concentrating on Trent Green

MasterOfPuppets
03-22-2007, 02:14 AM
i'd say the falcons got a helluva deal.what exactly has shuab accomplished in the nfl? nothing.he's played well in a backup roll as has charlie batch,but how did batch fair on a awful lions team? not very good! hows shaub going to do on an awful texans team? about the same as car.

verks36
03-22-2007, 09:05 AM
ya and didnt think car did that bad consideriering he always had a diffferent RB behind him, his oline sucks, And he has one WRs to throw to, plus a whole new offense to learn. Anyone with that sitution wont do that well

BettisFan
03-22-2007, 12:55 PM
i hope he does well for my sake or there will be riots against qb's again

FeaR #83
03-22-2007, 02:50 PM
looks like Schaub is definetly starting and Carr drops to 2nd string and will no doubt be shipped of to another franchise before next season!

tony hipchest
03-22-2007, 04:20 PM
i hear schaub signed for 6 years and $48 million. thats crazy.

verks36
03-22-2007, 04:54 PM
i hear schaub signed for 6 years and $48 million. thats crazy.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
That is crazy if he did. To invest so much money in an unproven QB is suicide.... What are they think

IF this doesnt work out and Schaub is a best the franchize will be in a huge fincail hole

BettisFan
03-22-2007, 05:06 PM
he did the texans payed way to much but yea its official Matt is starter

verks36
03-22-2007, 05:16 PM
he did the texans payed way to much but yea its official Matt is starter

Did they publically announce like matt your are, are guy or is it u just asome because of the amount of money in the contract

ChronoCross
03-22-2007, 06:14 PM
From PFT;

DID TEXANS GIVE UP TOO MUCH FOR SCHAUB?

In addition to forking over a six-year, $48 million contract to a guy who has never been a starting quarterback, the Houston Texans coughed up some major draft-day value for Matt Schaub.

Under the trade chart developed by FOX's Jimmy Johnson in the 1990s, the swap of first-round picks (No. 8 for No. 10) cost Houston 100 points. And the second-round pick (39th overall) is worth another 510 points.

The second-round pick in 2008 will be worth anywhere from 270 points to 580 points.

So the total draft points that the Texans surrendered for Schaub will range from 880 (if Houston wins Super Bowl XLII) to 1190 (if Houston is the worst team in the league in 2007).

Thus, the Texans essentially gave up a first-round pick, falling anywhere from No. 13 to No. 19 overall.

Was it too much to sacrifice? On one hand, they could have had Schaub for nothing in 2008 -- but they would have had to outbid other teams for his rights. On the other hand, is a mid-level first-round pick a fair sacrifice for a guy who has shown in spot duty that he can play at the NFL level?

Probably so, in light of the fact that it's a 50-50 proposition (at best) that a quarterback is going to work out when drafted in round one.

Of course, none of this changes the reality that the Texans could have, and should have, figured out that Carr wasn't the guy a year ago, at a time when they could have dangled the No. 1 overall pick and then slid back a few spots and draft Vince Young or Matt Leinart.

We've got a feeling that the folks in Houston won't be forgetting about that missed opportunity unless and until Matt Schaub is hoisting a Lombardi.

Suitanim
03-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Don't forget this: The Falcons still have a huge handicap. They still have Mike Vick as their QB, and they have him for 8 more years. This deal would have made a lot more sense if the Falcons would have kept their one real NFL QB on the roster, and traded the RB playing QB to the Texans who can't protect a QB to save their lives.

This was a dumb deal, but if I was the TX GM this is how I'd make it work: Draft OL, and start Carr behind him...he's your sacrificial lamb. Schaub can come in later after the new OL has time to gel.

tony hipchest
03-22-2007, 07:18 PM
From PFT;

DID TEXANS GIVE UP TOO MUCH FOR SCHAUB?

In addition to forking over a six-year, $48 million contract to a guy who has never been a starting quarterback, the Houston Texans coughed up some major draft-day value for Matt Schaub.

Under the trade chart developed by FOX's Jimmy Johnson in the 1990s, the swap of first-round picks (No. 8 for No. 10) cost Houston 100 points. And the second-round pick (39th overall) is worth another 510 points.

The second-round pick in 2008 will be worth anywhere from 270 points to 580 points.

So the total draft points that the Texans surrendered for Schaub will range from 880 (if Houston wins Super Bowl XLII) to 1190 (if Houston is the worst team in the league in 2007).

Thus, the Texans essentially gave up a first-round pick, falling anywhere from No. 13 to No. 19 overall.

Was it too much to sacrifice? On one hand, they could have had Schaub for nothing in 2008 -- but they would have had to outbid other teams for his rights. On the other hand, is a mid-level first-round pick a fair sacrifice for a guy who has shown in spot duty that he can play at the NFL level?

Probably so, in light of the fact that it's a 50-50 proposition (at best) that a quarterback is going to work out when drafted in round one.

Of course, none of this changes the reality that the Texans could have, and should have, figured out that Carr wasn't the guy a year ago, at a time when they could have dangled the No. 1 overall pick and then slid back a few spots and draft Vince Young or Matt Leinart.

We've got a feeling that the folks in Houston won't be forgetting about that missed opportunity unless and until Matt Schaub is hoisting a Lombardi.pat kirwan explained this best today. the falcons have always valued schaub as a mid 1st rounder, and wouldnt give him up for nothing less.

if you were to throw schaub into this years draft class he wouldve graded out and ranked 3rd behind quinn and russell and probably easilly be drafted in the 1st round.

so the falcons had him at around #15 on the draft value chart = 1000 pts

swapping 10 for 8 = 100 pts
39th pick in 2007 = 510 pts
2nd in 2008 average anywhere between 1 and 32 = 15th pick in 2nd round = approx. 400 pts.

total = 1010 pts. assuming schaub would probably be a 1st rounder this year, and possibly drafted by the vikings or miami in the top 10, it seems like an extremely fair market deal and the falcons got almost exactly the value they placed on him.

verks36
03-22-2007, 07:35 PM
pat kirwan explained this best today. the falcons have always valued schaub as a mid 1st rounder, and wouldnt give him up for nothing less.

if you were to throw schaub into this years draft class he wouldve graded out and ranked 3rd behind quinn and russell and probably easilly be drafted in the 1st round.

so the falcons had him at around #15 on the draft value chart = 1000 pts

swapping 10 for 8 = 100 pts
39th pick in 2007 = 510 pts
2nd in 2008 average anywhere between 1 and 32 = 15th pick in 2nd round = approx. 400 pts.

total = 1010 pts. assuming schaub would probably be a 1st rounder this year, and possibly drafted by the vikings or miami in the top 10, it seems like an extremely fair market deal and the falcons got almost exactly the value they placed on him.

where do u get these values for the draft picks?

tony hipchest
03-22-2007, 07:43 PM
where do u get these values for the draft picks?i just remember them from discussions i hear on sirius radio, but i know they are published. i think they can be found on nfl.com but am not sure. i think litp has posted a link here (?) but if you google "draft board value charts", im sure you could find them that way too.

Suitanim
03-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Here's all you need to know about the Falcons and how they value their QB: The deal they signed for Vick was worth more than the Colts deal for Manning.

Livinginthe past
03-23-2007, 02:11 AM
where do u get these values for the draft picks?

For easy and quick reference I have put a copy of the draft pick value chart in the NFL Draft Forum.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15849

verks36
03-23-2007, 07:45 AM
For easy and quick reference I have put a copy of the draft pick value chart in the NFL Draft Forum.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15849

thanks never seen that before it is pretty cool

so it is like a cheat sheet for trades

Livinginthe past
03-23-2007, 10:09 AM
thanks never seen that before it is pretty cool

so it is like a cheat sheet for trades

Yeah, it just gives you an idea of what value each team places on each draft pick.

I fnd it amazing that there are 400 points between the 1st and 2nd place in the draft, which is the same amount of points between the first pickof the 2nd round and a pick in the middle of the 3rd round!

tony hipchest
03-23-2007, 10:39 AM
theres alot to discuss about the dp value chart. maybe it can be unlocked for posting. for those who have never seen it, i was gonna add that it is just an unofficial tool and guideline. in fact i dont think every team uses it when working trades and deals.

an interesting scenario is the speculation that falcons now want to package their picks to move up and take calvin johnson. to go to #1 the chart says it will cost their 1st and 2nd this year and a first next year. to go to #4 if he drops to tampa bay would be a hell of alot cheaper according to the board, but you can rest assured tampa would want the same in return for him that the raiders would get.

Livinginthe past
03-23-2007, 10:46 AM
theres alot to discuss about the dp value chart. maybe it can be unlocked for posting. for those who have never seen it, i was gonna add that it is just an unofficial tool and guideline. in fact i dont think every team uses it when working trades and deals.

an interesting scenario is the speculation that falcons now want to package their picks to move up and take calvin johnson. to go to #1 the chart says it will cost their 1st and 2nd this year and a first next year. to go to #4 if he drops to tampa bay would be a hell of alot cheaper according to the board, but you can rest assured tampa would want the same in return for him that the raiders would get.

Consider it unlocked for posting!!