PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher - Reality TV Star

Atlanta Dan
03-21-2007, 05:45 PM
You can't make this stuff up. Cowher really is all about grabbing for the Benjamins these days.

Cowher behind the wheel in reality TV show

Cowher was in the western end of North Carolina, at Lowe's Motor Speedway outside Charlotte, early last week to start taping a seven-episode ABC show titled "Fast Cars and Superstars," a trumped-up competition that literally pits him against William Shatner of "Star Trek" fame, singer Jewel, tennis' Serena Williams, rodeo star Ty Murray, skateboarder Tony Hawk, Fox analyst and former NBAer John Salley, actress Krista Allen, professional wrestler John Cena, volleyball star turned model Gabriella Reece and her surfer-husband Laird Hamilton. Cowher's sole NFL foe is former Denver Broncos quarterback John Elway.

In the show, which apparently will be the lead-in to the NBA Finals broadcasts on the network, these celebrities will be tested in time trials, driving challenges, tire changing and other pit duties.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07080/771427-100.stm

What a lineup of B list celebs. What next - The Chin soon on Home Shopping Network selling his own line of grooming products?

fansince'76
03-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Embarrassing. I guess nothing trumps the almighty dollar nowadays - not even dignity and self respect. :shake02:

jjpro11
03-21-2007, 06:02 PM
its not as bad a list as some of these other reality shows with old celebs.

PisnNapalm
03-21-2007, 06:43 PM
This'll be another "reality" show I won't watch.

Borski
03-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Sounds like a fun thing to do, Time Trials and Driving Challenges....I would never watch that show, but I wouldn't mind doing it

Atlanta Dan
03-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Sounds like a fun thing to do, Time Trials and Driving Challenges....I would never watch that show, but I wouldn't mind doing it

Changing tires?

GBMelBlount
03-21-2007, 07:28 PM
maybe he'll find something to be passionate about again.

polamalufan43
03-21-2007, 07:31 PM
I could see him, speeding like crazy, behind the wheel, chin jutted out as far as possible, and spit flying everywhere on the windshield....

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

83-Steelers-43
03-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Embarrassing. I guess nothing trumps the almighty dollar nowadays - not even dignity and self respect. :shake02:

Agree. :coffee:

Anyways......back to Tomlin and the Steelers.

klick81
03-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Ha...i knew he'd be bored, but come on.

tony hipchest
03-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Changing tires?we are talkin about Charlotte NC.

"when in rome..."

Dylan
03-21-2007, 09:26 PM
good for him

tony hipchest
03-21-2007, 09:34 PM
So THIS is how he's spending more quality time with his family??? :dang:beats sitting in class with his daughter or shopping for toilet paper and salad fixings with the wife.

this will take minimal time, be fun, make a grip load of cash, keep his name in the forefront, and all the while he is still spending tons more time with his family.

i didnt fault forrest gump for pimping a ping pong ball paddle he didnt really use, so i wont throw cowher in the fire for this.

have fun bill.

whos to say whats more humiliating? pimping a billion dollar industry like NASCAR, or getting low balled by your employers :hunch:

im sure the rooneys havent missed the majority of their kids lives growing up.

R2sojr
03-21-2007, 09:58 PM
So THIS is how he's spending more quality time with his family??? :dang:

just what i was about to say but you beat me to it....shame shame

the almighty dollar trumps anything

LETS GO TOMLIN:tt02:

steelerbackr4life
03-21-2007, 10:09 PM

Exactly! As much as I loved Cowher he is no longer part of the Steelers he chose to leave.
Anything he does now shouldnt even be considered Steeler news.

tony hipchest
03-21-2007, 10:13 PM
just what i was about to say but you beat me to it....shame shame

the almighty dollar trumps anything

LETS GO TOMLIN:tt02:

dude. c'mon. please tell me you arent comparing 6 hours a week at the racetrack to the 75+ hrs/week plus sundays and travel time with the steelers.

OneForTheToe
03-22-2007, 12:29 AM

I guess what one defines as dignified and respectful depends on one's perspective. This is especially true when what Cowher will be doing is something that millions of respectful and dignified people dream about doing.

jjpro11
03-22-2007, 01:44 AM
nows his chance to finally avenge the loss to elway in the 97 afccg!

fansince'76
03-22-2007, 02:54 AM
I guess what one defines as dignified and respectful depends on one's perspective. This is especially true when what Cowher will be doing is something that millions of respectful and dignified people dream about doing.

I guess my first post did come across as being overly judgmental. To be perfectly honest, I don't care either way and I think Cowher can do what he wants - he's no longer our coach, after all. Not everybody can be like Noll and ride off into the sunset after they've left. What is Noll up to nowadays, anyway? Anybody know?

Exactly! As much as I loved Cowher he is no longer part of the Steelers he chose to leave. Anything he does now shouldnt even be considered Steeler news.

I couldn't agree more - this thread does seem to be more like Locker Room material than anything else.

Edman
03-22-2007, 08:01 AM
So much for wanting to spend time with his family.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program, the Tomlin Era.:coffee:

HometownGal
03-22-2007, 08:56 AM
People - what the heck is the big deal? So the guy wants to have a little fun - what's wrong with that? :dang: After the greuling schedule the guy has put in for 15 years in the NFL, maybe he just wants to do something different that he feels he might enjoy. Geez - give the guy a break!

stlrtruck
03-22-2007, 10:00 AM
MAYBE his wife really regrets asking him to resign from coaching and is managing his schedule to keep him busy!!! LOL

floodcitygirl
03-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Sounds like a blast! Good for him!

OneForTheToe
03-22-2007, 01:27 PM
I guess my first post did come across as being overly judgmental. To be perfectly honest, I don't care either way and I think Cowher can do what he wants - he's no longer our coach, after all. Not everybody can be like Noll and ride off into the sunset after they've left. What is Noll up to nowadays, anyway? Anybody know?

Last time I heard Noll's name mentioned was on the CW call-in show a few months back. Someone called in wondering if Noll would be interested in the Steelers?s HC job. After making a little smirk, and noting Noll's age (what are we Buffalo), Bob P. went on to say that Noll had some recent health issues. I?m not sure if they are serious or not.

So coach Noll, I hope this time finds you well and enjoying that Florida sunshine (I think he is Florida). But, you will always be Pittsburgh.

83-Steelers-43
03-22-2007, 01:33 PM
and enjoying that Florida sunshine (I think he is Florida). But, you will always be Pittsburgh.

He still has a place here in Pittsburgh. He also has a place in North Carolina and Florida.

I don't see Chuck changing tires anytime soon. I couldn't imagine it back in 1991 either.

vasteeler
03-22-2007, 01:39 PM
well at least its not dancing with the stars, now that would be funny

Woogie
03-22-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm with Hometown Gal...I don't see the big deal, and I think it's funny. Besides, at least he's not coaching somewhere else (yet)!

ARKIESTEEL
03-22-2007, 03:09 PM

:sofunny: now that is funny :cheers:

SteelCzar76
03-23-2007, 12:15 AM
Is this 'Noteworthy Steeler news' ? No but with that said,...i'm 'not mad' at Coach Cowher for living his life and enjoying the spotlight. So he wants to do a little acting,.....it's not as if he will be receiving any offers for roles in major films. LOL
And the end of the day,.... could it be that anyone attempting to take shots at him for any reason since he left,.....are just a matter of 'effeminate bitterness' ?? LOL

83-Steelers-43
03-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Speaking of Noll. I thought he had some FO job with the Steelers? Administration Advisor or something like that, wasn't it? There's a Charles H. Noll listed in the 2006 media guide as being the Admin. Advisor.

Noll is the Adminstration Advisor. It is said that he has "no real role in the team's operations since his retirement", spending most of his time at his homes in NC and FL.

tony hipchest
06-07-2007, 08:01 PM
since its on tonight:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/05/bill_cowher.htmlCONCORD, N.C. — Sure, Bill Cowher has stood up to pressure. The former Pittsburgh Steelers coach has won a Super Bowl and is known for having a tough attitude and sticking his chin out. So when we saw him at Lowe’s Motor Speedway in Charlotte, N.C., for Gillette’s “Fast Cars & Superstars” (Cars.com is a sponsor of the show), we gave him this choice.

Option A: There’s less than a minute left in the fourth quarter, and New England Patriots' quarterback Tom Brady is coming on the field with the game’s outcome in doubt. Option B: You’re going into the first corner here at Lowe’s. Which do you prefer?

“Oh, I’d take Tom Brady right now,” Cowher laughed. “That’s more my element. This right here, they’re still walls. You can talk about how much they give, but they’re still walls.”

Cowher, who drives a Mercedes-Benz, is not exactly a car guy, but he does follow racing a little and understands the challenges involved, though he said he now has “a greater appreciation going through this process.”

That process was riding along with one of Gillette’s Young Guns, Ryan Newman. How was that first corner at Lowe’s, Coach?

“The first corner was unbelievable,” he said. “I didn’t know what to expect. I have to be honest, it was a lot more than I expected. I didn’t think it would be that bad, but it was a lot of Gs that we were pulling.”

Cowher’s come a long way since his first car, a Chevy Nova that he drove along the back roads of Pennsylvania.

He said the little Nova didn’t start out as a beater, “but it ended up being that way." The race cars used in “Fast Cars” aren’t beaters, either, but they forced Cowher to learn something new. "I’ve never driven a stick, so this is what’ll be new for me.”

Now, there’s an issue. Obviously, all these race cars have manual transmissions. How will that affect Cowher’s strategy?

“Well, we’ll find out,” he said. “I haven’t gone out there yet. I got a quick lesson, and I’ll have a few more quick lessons. I don’t think it’ll be a problem, but we’ll see.”

Of course, once you manage to get into fourth, you’re OK.

“Well, that’s what I’ve been told,” he laughed. “I’ll just put it into neutral coming into the pits.”

Getting to the pits means getting successfully around the track, though, and the importance of avoiding those walls clearly made an impression on Cowher during his ride-along. Part of the coach’s strategy, he said, was finding a way to avoid joining the Coca-Cola and other signs that line the track.

“I don’t want to be another sign on the wall,” he said. “That’s my point.”

"Fast Cars & Superstars" begins June 7 on ABC.

tony hipchest
06-07-2007, 08:40 PM
i guess ABC was expecting a boring spurs-detroit matchup again and were blindsided by "King James" making the show. looks like the dog and pony show of football coaches and race car drivers, has ben scrapped for a 30 minute "thank God labron james is rescuing the nba" (and cleveland from eternal suckdom) "pre game show".

*sigh* so far we learn james is the next jim brown, and cleveland may no longer be "the mistake by the lake".

beSteelmyheart
06-07-2007, 08:50 PM

Oh, please! You naysayers would do it for half the money, & you know it! It looks like fun!

GutterflowerSteel
06-07-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm not ashamed to say that I watched it - they only showed Bill briefly in the stands, sitting with William Shatner. Those two along with someone else I can't remember now will be shown racing against each other in a subsequent episode. They were laughing and talking-looked like they were having a good time. Tonight Serena Williams was the slowest and got beat out by Laird and John Elway, who move on to Round 2.

It's not like they're having a sing off or daring them to eat a bowl of worms for cash and prizes lol They send them to driving school and then they try to beat each others' times. It does look like a fun show. Kind of amusing to watch celebrities who are champions in their chosen sport get scared about learning new skills & driving so fast for the first time. I'll be tuning in again just because it WASN'T lame.

fansince'76
06-08-2007, 06:01 AM
i guess ABC was expecting a boring spurs-detroit matchup again and were blindsided by "King James" making the show. looks like the dog and pony show of football coaches and race car drivers, has ben scrapped for a 30 minute "thank God labron james is rescuing the nba" (and cleveland from eternal suckdom) "pre game show".

*sigh* so far we learn james is the next jim brown, and cleveland may no longer be "the mistake by the lake".

Never mind the fact that the Cavs aren't going to win the series....

fansince'76
06-08-2007, 06:04 AM

Oh, please! You naysayers would do it for half the money, & you know it! It looks like fun!

Since you were about 3 months late with this, why don't you go back and read my follow-up post?

I guess my first post did come across as being overly judgmental. To be perfectly honest, I don't care either way and I think Cowher can do what he wants - he's no longer our coach, after all.

Elvis
06-10-2007, 07:24 AM
maybe he'll find something to be passionate about again.
:thumbsup: Agreed..

j-dawg
06-11-2007, 12:45 AM
beats sitting in class with his daughter or shopping for toilet paper and salad fixings with the wife.

this will take minimal time, be fun, make a grip load of cash, keep his name in the forefront, and all the while he is still spending tons more time with his family.

i didnt fault forrest gump for pimping a ping pong ball paddle he didnt really use, so i wont throw cowher in the fire for this.

have fun bill.

whos to say whats more humiliating? pimping a billion dollar industry like NASCAR, or getting low balled by your employers :hunch:

im sure the rooneys havent missed the majority of their kids lives growing up.

:cheers: great analogy man... priceless...