PDA

View Full Version : Trade Charlie Batch!!!!!

tony hipchest
03-21-2007, 09:14 PM
im a huge charlie batch fan and would be happy to see him finish out his career like b. johnson, t. green or r. gannon. but i realize his value to the steelers. with todays shaub to texans trade, i see that value could be prettty high.

if the texans offered 2 2nd rounders for batch, what would you say?

verks36
03-21-2007, 09:17 PM
I would deal batch in an instant if we got offered one second rounder for him.

First because i dont plan on using him this year.

Second- He is getting old i rather start grooming a younger player to be are back up for the next 7 years witch i thought is what they were doing with brain st pierre/Omar jacobs

Dynasty
03-21-2007, 09:26 PM
I am seriously shocked that 2 people actually would rather have Charlie Batch than Peyton of Tom Brady.. even to just use them to trade for someone amazing.. .but really!

ChronoCross
03-21-2007, 09:27 PM
With injury concerns of our own starter and his quality backup and able to win when he comes in. No it is not worth it to trade.

HometownGal
03-21-2007, 09:30 PM
I admittedly have never been a huge fan of Batch's, but he is a reliable backup and with Ben showing little shades of being prone to injury, it's good to have a solid guy behind your number one guy. I say no way.

verks36
03-21-2007, 09:34 PM
I admittedly have never been a huge fan of Batch's, but he is a reliable backup and with Ben showing little shades of being prone to injury, it's good to have a solid guy behind your number one guy. I say no way.

I see where you are coming from

But if you are getting a second round pick for him i cant see any way we would turn that down. His stock right now is at a peak and we should cash in on it now before he isnt worth anything.:helmet:

SteelCzar76
03-21-2007, 09:41 PM
im a huge charlie batch fan and would be happy to see him finish out his career like b. johnson, t. green or r. gannon. but i realize his value to the steelers. with todays shaub to texans trade, i see that value could be prettty high.

That's a tough one Tone,...as HTG stated,....it would put us in a precarious position in regards to our very own back-up situation. (Brian St Pierre is ridiculous,....and i don't mean that in a good way) LOL
But even with that being said,.....two second rounders would be an exceptional deal. And one that i MIGHT just take were i G.M. And then pick up someone like John Beck in the Mid to late rounds ?

SteelShooter
03-21-2007, 09:48 PM
for a 1st and 2nd rounder....Hell yes!
for 2 2nd rounders.........probably.

..........it would be hard to do though. I love the guy.

GBMelBlount
03-21-2007, 09:48 PM
....Anyway, I thought charlie played well last year. I doubt we're gonna get a crapload for him. however, i was a little surprised we cut jacobs. he looked ok, + 41/4 touchdown interceptions ratio in college. did he have gastrointestinal problems or something?

Shea
03-21-2007, 09:50 PM
sorry to go a wee bit off topic but since everyone is talking about possible trades with Faneca and Batch it's got me wondering if there are deadlines or time frames for trading in football? I know in baseball they can only trade during certain times in the year, football have no clue.....

tony hipchest
03-21-2007, 09:52 PM
I am seriously shocked that 2 people actually would rather have Charlie Batch than Peyton of Tom Brady.. even to just use them to trade for someone amazing.. .but really!
dont be shocked. i can pretty much already tell you that one and the "are you out of your mind" option will get the most votes.

i would say that c. batch is the best back up in the league. but before last year he was the 3rd stringer. i guess 3rd stringers are worth more than TWO 2nd round picks, and of course we know nostalgia and the past are worth more than getting better and the future.

credit to batch- he loves pittsburgh and the steelers. im sure any human in his position would look at 37 year old jeff garcia and be a little bit envious. but he wont hold out and demand a trade. batch is a great steeler and even better teammate and person. i almost feel bad for him not having the opportunity to deliver the steelers a few more wins last season and a trip into the playoffs.

GBMelBlount
03-21-2007, 09:58 PM
dont be shocked. i can pretty much already tell you that one and the "are you out of your mind" option will get the most votes.

i would say that c. batch is the best back up in the league. but before last year he was the 3rd stringer. i guess 3rd stringers are worth more than TWO 2nd round picks, and of course we know nostalgia and the past are worth more than getting better and the future.

credit to batch- he loves pittsburgh and the steelers. im sure any human in his position would look at 37 year old jeff garcia and be a little bit envious. but he wont hold out and demand a trade. batch is a great steeler and even better teammate and person. i almost feel bad for him not having the opportunity to deliver the steelers a few more wins last season and a trip into the playoffs.

He is a good QB and a loyal Steeler, I think if we had played him a few more qames we would have been in the playoffs.

HometownGal
03-21-2007, 10:48 PM
I see where you are coming from

But if you are getting a second round pick for him i cant see any way we would turn that down. His stock right now is at a peak and we should cash in on it now before he isnt worth anything.:helmet:

As I stated above - right now, Batch is worth EVERYTHING to the Steelers because of Ben being so prone to injury. There's no way I part with a half-decent backup QB who has a great comfort level and rapport with the offense in favor of a rookie coming out of the draft or a FA who isn't familiar with the P's and Q's.

verks36
03-21-2007, 10:56 PM

When u posted this i was like Batch best back up in the league. And i thought and i couldnt really name any backups better than him. so far here is my list that an arguement can be made that they are better than batch
1. David Garrard - Jaguars
2. Kerry Collins- titans
3. Mark Brunell- deadskins
thats all i could think feel free to make your point

SteelCzar76
03-21-2007, 11:06 PM
As I stated above - right now, Batch is worth EVERYTHING to the Steelers because of Ben being so prone to injury. There's no way I part with a half-decent backup QB who has a great comfort level and rapport with the offense in favor of a rookie coming out of the draft or a FA who isn't familiar with the P's and Q's.

You've got a very good point there HTG. We would be left in perhaps a very difficult position should the 'Golden Boy' go down,.....and we had but a rook to back him up.
But i might be almost willing to take such a chance for the extra picks. (Granted Colbert uses them wisely) I think moreso than in the recent past,...we really need to 'reload' regarding level of talent and youth at more than a few crucial positions.
But then again,.....i might be a little 'over the top' in regards to daring :smile:

tony hipchest
03-22-2007, 12:00 AM
When u posted this i was like Batch best back up in the league. And i thought and i couldnt really name any backups better than him. so far here is my list that an arguement can be made that they are better than batch
1. David Garrard - Jaguars
2. Kerry Collins- titans
3. Mark Brunell- deadskins
thats all i could think feel free to make your pointyou left out brian griese. batch's career nubers just about match his. gerrard has some potential but hasnt proven much with his opportunities. batch has proven himself as a starter and a back up in the league.

brunnell and collins? good career numbers, but then wouldnt that mean brad johnson is better than batch at this moment. batch is still young and about the same age as gannon (league mvp) t. green, and johnson (sb starter and winner) made their way as starters in the league.

jeff garcia is getting his 3rd shot at being a starter at 37 years old. batch is only 32 trent green didnt really break out till he was 31.

MACH1
03-22-2007, 12:31 AM
I think we should keep him just in case Ben gets hurt, He's a great back up and who else do we have that could take Batch's place.

DJfan
03-22-2007, 01:11 AM
Two number twos is tempting, but maybe next year instead. Batch has more value to us than trade bait.

Plus he's a great guy!

83-Steelers-43
03-22-2007, 01:16 AM
For Brady or Manning?: In a second.

For 2 2nd rounders?: Yes.

For a #1 pick and #2?: Hell yeah.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-22-2007, 04:14 AM

Wow. Trade Batch??? Someone has too much time on their hands.

Echo (as usual) what she prints.

Good grief. As if wondering whether BR is ever going to be same player again isn't enough you want to go shopping for a number 2 guy too. :dang:

Haiku_Dirtt
03-22-2007, 04:18 AM
For Brady or Manning?: In a second.

For 2 2nd rounders?: Yes.

For a #1 pick and #2?: Hell yeah.

Only Tony Soprano could make those deals. And even he has only one season left.

stlrtruck
03-22-2007, 09:58 AM
I'd trade him but only if I was ensured to have a qualified backup QB for at least one year and a younger QB to groom.

With that being said, why not just keep him, get a younger QB for groomer from the draft?

Counselor
03-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Are you out of your mind? is my response.

How many guys are capable of sitting on the bench and coming in under pressure mid game or mid season and performing well? I suggest that a lot of starters in the league couldn't do it. (look at Ben's record coming off of bye weeks and injuries) We learned quickly that Maddox certainly couldn't. In my back-up QB, I don't care so much about numbers, I care about the intangible of coolness under pressure, knowledge and comfort with the system, ability to come in cold and not "fumble away" the game.

Lets face it---Ben is injury prone---we need someone we can trust and Batch is it--he's proved it at least three times. I don't think its woth a second rounder to lose that--its not even worth 2 second rounders.

verks36
03-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Dude think logically. Would you really turn down 2 second round picks. We are talking about a back up QB for 2 second round picks. If we get offered that we should definitely accept the trade. Not only will this give us more young player we will have more bargaining chips to trade if we wanted to move up in the draft. Backup quarter backs are nice to have but not a nicety.

Batch stock isnt going to go up from here all it is going to do is go down

83-Steelers-43
03-22-2007, 11:24 AM
I love Charlie just as much as the next fan and have stood by him when other's have doubted his backup abilities. But when it comes to 2/2's for a backup QB I'll take it.

ChronoCross
03-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Dude think logically. Would you really turn down 2 second round picks. We are talking about a back up QB for 2 second round picks. If we get offered that we should definitely accept the trade. Not only will this give us more young player we will have more bargaining chips to trade if we wanted to move up in the draft. Backup quarter backs are nice to have but not a nicety.

Backup QBs are a nicety. To say a backup QB is not a nicety is just DUH. Its just a poll anyways. We will not trade Batch.

Starting QB to miss 1 to 2 games, your on the verge of making the playoffs;
Good Backup comes in wins 1 to 2 games yea were in the playoffs still.
Bad Backup comes in looses 1 to 2 games wow were suddenly out of the playoffs.

Quality Depth is a key at making the playoffs if something happens, you just never know what will happen.

Were in the AFCCG were up by 7 points.
Starter takes a massive hit, ouch concussion he will miss the rest of the game.
Good Backup comes in scores us another 7 points, ya were up by 14 were going to the SB.
Bad Backup comes in wow INT, CB running for a TD, game tied. Wow but I was happy to get them 2 second round draft picks. Welp there is always next year.

Get the point.

DACEB
03-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Batch is a tremendous backup in my opinion and a great asset to the team as well as the community. That being said, of course you would trade him for a 1st & 2nd or 2 2nd's. I don't see those scenerios happening, but who knows.

For those of you who would trade for Brady or Manning, what about Ben?? He's younger than either and has shown great potential, where would his place be? Why even discuss this?!?!

Where is brind666??? lol

IA Stiller
03-22-2007, 01:26 PM
I'd keep him. He's proven and he seems to be content with his role. He's probably inexpensive as well.

Mosca
03-22-2007, 03:09 PM
I love the guy, but I'll take 2 second rounders and sign David Carr after he gets cut.

Tom

Steeldude
03-22-2007, 04:03 PM

no brainer. i would take that trade in a second. it would never happen though. IMO, batch would only command a 6th rounder at best.

FeaR #83
03-22-2007, 04:06 PM
batch for 2, 2nd rounders, yes pleaseeeeeeee :D

Elvis
03-22-2007, 07:55 PM
2nds... sure I would take them for Batch... I love the guy also but I would probably have to take em'
JUST AN OLE' SINNER SAVED BY GRACE...
Elvis

BettisFan
03-22-2007, 07:56 PM
hey if we get someone good lets do it

The Duke
03-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Only for 2nd rounders and if we can get a new backup in the draft.

dlsf8607
03-23-2007, 01:51 AM
Obviously we should keep Batch, but the reason I wouldn't want Brady or Manning is because they don't fit our system. We've never before changed the system to fit the QB, why start now?

ARKIESTEEL
03-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Since most of the things in the poll are not going to happen I think you keep Batch for many reasons but mainly he is a Pittsburgh guy and loves the team and the city. But if you all want another back up QB I am sure Maddox, Stewart, Neal O, Mike T, Bubby B, M Malone and guys just like them want to strap on the black and gold and wing the ball to someone ever play hell we have had the best passer rateing over the past 15 years if you count the ones threw to the other team. sorry to get on a rant its early and I am bored

Stick with Ben and Charlie please

DACEB
03-23-2007, 01:07 PM
We basically win a game or two every year just by having Batch instead of a backup who sucks. I can't think of many rookie second-rounders who could come right in and have that kind of impact.

Well said. Especially at his cost and with the qualities he posseses.

MasterOfPuppets
03-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Obviously we should keep Batch, but the reason I wouldn't want Brady or Manning is because they don't fit our system. We've never before changed the system to fit the QB, why start now?
lmao!!! obviously you didn't watch football during the kordell years.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-23-2007, 02:55 PM

How about when Cowher was in love with Kordell?????:dang:

drew102e
03-23-2007, 08:04 PM
id take a third

verks36
03-23-2007, 08:07 PM
id take a third

same here that enough for me

trullly so guys but i am not a big batch fan... No offense to anyone
I guess i dont value his true worth

draft picks> batch

ChronoCross
03-23-2007, 08:16 PM
This is funny, people would throw away batch to possible get a bust, our get a player who does not make the roster.

Letter to Batch - Sorry Batch even tho you have been undefeated for the last 2 years coming in for Ben when he was hurt and starting games and winning while Ben was hurt. We feel as stupid fans we would rather take a chance on a worthless and possible a nobody pickup in a draft that is weak at QB as it is. But hey you should think some of the Steelers fans, they pushed because they thought a 2nd round are even a third round pickup is better then wins.

LOL

I am just happy none of you who would throw batch to the dogs for picks, work in the FO.

meanjoecoop
03-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Letter to Batch - Sorry Batch even tho you have been undefeated for the last 2 years coming in for Ben when he was hurt and starting games and winning while Ben was hurt. We feel as stupid fans we would rather take a chance on a worthless and possible a nobody pickup in a draft that is weak at QB as it is. But hey you should think some of the Steelers fans, they pushed because they thought a 2nd round are even a third round pickup is better then wins.

LOL

I am just happy none of you who would throw batch to the dogs for picks, work in the FO.

LOL, My thoughts exactly.

GBMelBlount
03-23-2007, 09:35 PM
This is funny, people would throw away batch to possible get a bust, our get a player who does not make the roster.

LOL

Batch is a very good backup. He has filled in very well for us. He isn't young but he is in good shape and takes care of himself and should have a few good years left. He is a good team player. As tony said, there are good 30+ QB's. It would take alot for me to be comfortable getting rid of a solid, proven, team player like Batch for someone unproven.

Steeldude
03-24-2007, 02:10 AM

huh??? they constantly made changes in the system for the idiot kordell.

also, why would the steelers need to change their system for brady or manning? i would take brady and manning over BR anytime.

tony hipchest
03-24-2007, 12:51 PM
very interresting poll with great participation. (i guess i included a poll option for everybody).

22 solid yes's and
36 resounding no's

a few things to clear up my stance:

-im a big fan of batch and think he kinda got screwed when he was declared a bust and relegated to a back up role after just a short time in detroit. steelers made a hell of a coup by landing him.

-i think some people misunderstood the question. nowhere did it say "would you trade c. batch for a 2nd round ROOKIE back up qb". i dont know where so many people got the idea thats what this poll was about.

-there are servicable backups with starters experience out there who will be in the same position batch was in when he bacame a steeler, and possibly take the same deal batch did. t. green, d. culpepper?, d. carr, j. harrington.

-until last season batch was our THIRD STRING qb.

-back up qb's have proven they can thrive in the steelers system when immediately called to action. t. maddox, b. roethlisberger, c. batch. none of these were considered "great" when they were called into action. maddox was plucked from the XFL for crying out loud!
ben was a rookie! batch was 3rd string!

-teams like the chargers havent been afraid to trade to make their team better. recent trades enabled them to take d. brees and l. castillo in the 2nd round. the texans 2nd round pick last year was defensive rookie of the year demeco ryans. l. tatupu made it to the pro bowl the year before with the seahawks. theres value with those 2nd round picks along with inherent risks. you can land a. jackson, or you can land defensive rookie of the year kendrell bell :hunch:

so anyways, this was just a hypothetical situation. not "should we trade batch", but "what would you do if texans made you the same offer for him that they did schaub".

i think its safe to say, us and the steelers value him much more than any other team would.

how bout batch for randy moss and the 33rd pick in the draft? raiders would have a qb built to win AND calvin johnson! :chuckle:

verks36
03-24-2007, 12:54 PM
how bout batch for randy moss and the 33rd pick in the draft? raiders would have a qb built to win AND calvin johnson!

that would be amazing i woul do that in a heart beat even though randy is washed up

ChronoCross
03-24-2007, 01:04 PM
how bout batch for randy moss and the 33rd pick in the draft? raiders would have a qb built to win AND calvin johnson!

that would be amazing i woul do that in a heart beat even though randy is washed up

Bring Slushy from the Raiders to here. You nuts. What meds you on today to make you go bonkers on us.

verks36
03-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Bring Slushy from the Raiders to here. You nuts. What meds you on today to make you go bonkers on us.

dude are u joking the 33rd pick in the draft plus a veteran wide reciver for what... A BACKUP QB.

we also need a big WR we dont have one besides nate randy would be fine as long as he kept his mouth shut.

dlnewell
03-24-2007, 01:17 PM
I would deal batch in an instant if we got offered one second rounder for him.

First because i dont plan on using him this year.

Second- He is getting old i rather start grooming a younger player to be are back up for the next 7 years witch i thought is what they were doing with brain st pierre/Omar jacobs

Jacobs went to the Eagles. I just looked at NFL.com and he's now with the Chiefs.

ChronoCross
03-24-2007, 01:20 PM
dude are u joking the 33rd pick in the draft plus a veteran wide reciver for what... A BACKUP QB.

we also need a big WR we dont have one besides nate randy would be fine as long as he kept his mouth shut.

A big WR that goes well I do not feel like catching the ball today. And is problems in the locker room. Ya sure lets bring in someone who will bring down the tempo of the game. And far as getting a 2nd round to boot, well are 5th round pick could make the roster were as that 2nd round pick, O dang he did not make the roster. Bad deal. Draft is a crap shoot and we could be giving up wins for a bad deal.

Then we would need a quality QB to be backup out of the draft. Well this draft is horrible QB class just horrible.

I am glade your not in the FO of the steelers.. woooh..

verks36
03-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Dude its not just any second round pick it is the first pick in the second round. We could get a big time player who drops out of the first round.

Second of all the draft is a "crap shoot" hwat are u talking about. The steelers build their franachize by the draft. we never sighn any big name free agents. The last big name free agent we sighned for duce stayley and look how that turned out. The steelers rely more on the draft more than any other team in the nfl.

Dude i am glad u are not any where in the steelers front office because if u were we still would have terry hanrady on the roster backing up ben. ha

paw-n-maul-u
03-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Well the whole trade for moss + 3rd rounder is ridiculous ... but if for some reason Al Davis went for something like that (which he wouldnt) ... and the rooneys decided they could handle a head case like randy moss (which they wouldnt'), then it would be an unbelievable trade which I would surely welcome.

Randy still has game and our WR core would be ridiculous ... maybe even a little hines ward would rub off on Randy. Not to mention, Holmes learning from the two of the best WR's in the league.

and a second rounder?? (something we badly need this draft)

later batch

verks36
03-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Well the whole trade for moss + 3rd rounder is ridiculous ... but if for some reason Al Davis went for something like that (which he wouldnt) ... and the rooneys decided they could handle a head case like randy moss (which they wouldnt'), then it would be an unbelievable trade which I would surely welcome.

Randy still has game and our WR core would be ridiculous ... maybe even a little hines ward would rub off on Randy. Not to mention, Holmes learning from the two of the best WR's in the league.

and a second rounder?? (something we badly need this draft)

later batch

exactly what i think

this man know what he talking about unlike someother guys who think batch is the next john elway

:cheers:

polamalufan43
03-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Honestly, at this point I really would not trade him for anything. Maybe in a few years, but not now.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

DJfan
03-24-2007, 05:12 PM
I'll openly admit that I think that Ben could be the next Elway.

Another thing to think about: We had this unproven rookie on the bench when Maddox went down.

Still, I say keep Batch.

FeaR #83
03-24-2007, 05:18 PM
personally i dont see why we should trade him

hes a good backup and why get rid of him if hes content enough playing behind Big Ben!

sorry but no trade for me!

Big7Ben
03-24-2007, 11:03 PM
no, i just dont like the sound of it. hes always been there to back up roethlisberger, and did well, so why trade him and take the risk of someone not being able to do the same?

GBMelBlount
03-24-2007, 11:39 PM
I'll openly admit that I think that Ben could be the next Elway.

Another thing to think about: We had this unproven rookie on the bench when Maddox went down.

Still, I say keep Batch.

Uhhhh, let's hope that Ben is not the next bug on a windshield.:tt02:
We'll see!!!!!

polamalufan43
03-25-2007, 11:48 AM
personally i dont see why we should trade him

hes a good backup and why get rid of him if hes content enough playing behind Big Ben!

sorry but no trade for me!

:iagree:
He has never really complained about being a back-up, and he has said that he is now fine with it. So why would we get rid of someone who plays like a great QB and won't whine when he isn't playing?

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Livinginthe past
03-25-2007, 12:15 PM
If the Steelers could pick up a 2nd rounder for Batch they should do it in a heartbeat.

I think people are overvaluing Batch's worth to the team (solid back-up that he is) simply because Ben had such an injury plagued year last time out.

I cannot imagine a scenario where Batch replaces Ben through a lack of form on Bens behalf - if that was going to happen it would have happened last year (then again, maybe Tomlin views the situation differently).

Therefore the only way Batch sees meaningful playing time is if Ben goes down injured.

I think the Steelers could use a 2nd rounder to address issues they have (OL,LB) with players that are expected to start this year - issues that take precedence over what is essentially a permanent back up position.

mac daddy
03-25-2007, 01:33 PM
i like batch hes a great back up but he is getting old so for 2 secend rounders id say yea

GBMelBlount
03-25-2007, 08:56 PM
If the Steelers could pick up a 2nd rounder for Batch they should do it in a heartbeat.

I think people are overvaluing Batch's worth to the team (solid back-up that he is) simply because Ben had such an injury plagued year last time out.

I cannot imagine a scenario where Batch replaces Ben through a lack of form on Bens behalf - if that was going to happen it would have happened last year (then again, maybe Tomlin views the situation differently).

Therefore the only way Batch sees meaningful playing time is if Ben goes down injured.

I think the Steelers could use a 2nd rounder to address issues they have (OL,LB) with players that are expected to start this year - issues that take precedence over what is essentially a permanent back up position.

Wow, LITP, I agree with most of the things you say. I disagree on Ben. Something was wrong with him last year. The Steelers know they made a mistake. But there is pressure on doctors to clear players & Ben convinced everyone he was fine until it was too late. I don't think Tomlin would let him play like that again for the whole year. Many feel if Batch had been in there for Ben for several more games, we could've been in the playoffs. Even though Ben finished 6-2, I am not 100% convinced. I hope Ben comes back fully healed and back to old form.....but...I would rather have a strong backup like batch (probably one of the best backups in the league,) just in case Ben self destructs again, than having to potentially rely on St. Pierre. :cheers:

Hildebrand
03-25-2007, 10:43 PM
yea I doubt that anyone would give the Steelers any first day picks for Batch

Livinginthe past
03-26-2007, 02:07 AM
Wow, LITP, I agree with most of the things you say. I disagree on Ben. Something was wrong with him last year. The Steelers know they made a mistake. But there is pressure on doctors to clear players & Ben convinced everyone he was fine until it was too late. I don't think Tomlin would let him play like that again for the whole year. Many feel if Batch had been in there for Ben for several more games, we could've been in the playoffs. Even though Ben finished 6-2, I am not 100% convinced. I hope Ben comes back fully healed and back to old form.....but...I would rather have a strong backup like batch (probably one of the best backups in the league,) just in case Ben self destructs again, than having to potentially rely on St. Pierre. :cheers:

Hey GB,

I wasn't saying Ben wasn't injured - my opinion is that there wasn't any real way that he could have properly recovered mentally and physically from all those trauma's occuring so closely together.

I believe there is a large difference in being 'passed fit to play' and 'being able to play competently' - I believe Ben was fit to take the field, I just don't think he had a realistic chance of performing well for any extended period of time.

Im saying I don't see Ben being benched for Batch because of a simple loss of form on Bens behalf - it will take an injury or obvious after effects of an injury to sideline him.

Touch wood, but I think it unlikely that Ben has such a terrible time with injuries this year - that makes it likely Batch will be essentially surplus to requirements.

Mandy90
03-26-2007, 02:52 AM
Charlie is a fairly reliably, inexpensive backup to Ben and performed well when asked to step in the previous year. With Ben's history of injuries, it wouldn't be a smart decision to release or trade him.

GBMelBlount
03-26-2007, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=Livinginthe past;231975]Hey GB,

"I'm saying I don't see Ben being benched for Batch because of a simple loss of form on Bens behalf - it will take an injury or obvious after effects of an injury to sideline him."

After effects may be the issue, don't know. If Charlie doesn't end up playing is he a "surplus," yes! and I hope that's the case. I just feel so good sleeping in my 'jammies knowing Charlies there in a jam! You ar a good egg for a patriots fan! :tt02:

Suitanim
03-28-2007, 06:41 PM
I think this was a joke that was taken seriously. There is no way the Steelers part ways with Batch.

The Steelers have a luxury in Batch that very, very few NFL teams have: A seasoned vet with 70 starts who can step in and not only run the team, but ostensibly guide the team into and through the playoffs if needed. And he is relatively cheap considering his age and experience level. What if it's week 14, the Steelers are 11-2 and playing for homefield and Ben gets banged up a bit...not enough to sit out but enough that he risks further injury? If Brian St. Pierre is the back-up, Ben plays and the Steeler Nation prays, but with Batch, you have a back-up that can play and run the whole playbook and probably win. For the small difference in salary there is no reasonable scenario in which it makes sense to get rid of Batch...

tony hipchest
03-28-2007, 06:56 PM
I think this was a joke that was taken seriously. There is no way the Steelers part ways with Batch.

...not necessarily a joke, but definitely taken to seriously.

i realize how important batch is to our team (and the community for that matter), and on the heels of atlanta trading schaub (also important to the falcons) i was curious of guaging how fans would react if the steelers were offered a similar trade.

i think even steelers mgmt might struggle a bit with this one.

Suitanim
03-28-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm not so sure...they aren't rebuilding. If they were, it's a no-brainer, but this is a relatively young team that should be in a position to make a couple more runs over the next 4-5 years.

Besides, NONE of know for sure what, if any, long-term effects may linger in Ben. Insurance may seem like a rip-off until you stop paying for it and disaster strikes...

GBMelBlount
03-28-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm not so sure...they aren't rebuilding. If they were, it's a no-brainer, but this is a relatively young team that should be in a position to make a couple more runs over the next 4-5 years.

Besides, NONE of know for sure what, if any, long-term effects may linger in Ben. Insurance may seem like a rip-off until you stop paying for it and disaster strikes...

Suit...You nailed it!!!!!:cheers:

SteelersMongol
03-30-2007, 02:05 AM
NO!!!

tony hipchest
07-25-2007, 11:15 PM
ironic that now it is atlanta who may be needing a starting qb and it was they who traded their back up.

interresting that the steelers brought in arron brooks for a look see.

no doubt that the falcons were impressed when they knocked ben out of the game last year and batch stepped in like a starter and didnt miss a beat.

did the falcons inquire about the availability of batch? (a smart team would). would the steelers consider the falcons or texans 2nd round pick (both should be pick #32-40) to possibly draft fanecas replacement next year?

fansince'76
07-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Considering Ben's nagging health issues, not for anything less than a FIRST rounder (which I'm sure neither will go for, so the point is moot). Besides, from what I've heard and read, next year is supposed to be a bumper crop for O-linemen, anyway.

steelpride12
07-25-2007, 11:22 PM
dont get me wrong he is a great QB but we wont need him this year and for 2 second round picks of course i would trade him, yes miss him but also would trade.

ChronoCross
07-25-2007, 11:22 PM
NONONONONONONONONO

ricksteelers55
07-26-2007, 04:29 AM
1st of all I have to say that I don't understand those who are saying that Ben is a injury prone.I mean most of the guys would have miss a lot more action than he did last year.The guy had appendectomy and accident and he didn't miss a lot.

Does that mean he is injury prone because he had an accident an appendectomy?

The only injury that he really had was his thumb injury.Bottom line is he missed 3 games in 3 years really because of ''game'' injury.

Now for the poll....I just can't understand that.

The guy is one of our most loyal player.He could have left for free when he was a UFA 2 years ago and you are talkin about trading him?

Specially when you know how much it is important to have a solid QB in this game,just take a look at 2 years ago when Big Ben missed those 3 games.Maddox played badly and we had tough times.

In my personal point of view you need a solid backup if you want to be a good football team no matter what happen.

Charlie is the guy,and unless Kevin Colbert decides to become totally nuts(which is not going to happen) we won't trade the guy.

And by the way there's one move that I still don't understand.Why did they release Omar Jacobs last year after spending a 5th rounder on him ...only to bring back Practice Squad Brian ? I think Jacobs looked decent during those exhibition games,and I thought he would have deserve to be at least on the practice squad.

So my final thoughts are I wouldn't let Charlie go,and anyway even if I think Charlie would be a better starter than a lot of starter in this league,I don't think nobody would spend 2 2nd rounder on him.

Have a good day

Rick

Preacher
07-26-2007, 04:54 AM
Sure...

I am VERY late on this.. but let me put in my two cents.

I love Batch. He is a trustworthy backup that will NOT cause problems. It is very hard to find a number two that has no desire to unseat the number 1, yet is good enough to possible start on a few team in the NFL.

However, if the chance came to trade him to fill a necessary hole...such as (yeah, I know this won't happen, but what if) a CB like DeAngelo Hall, or to pick up a PROVEN OL...

yeah, I say make the trade.

Galax Steeler
07-26-2007, 05:06 AM
I agree preacher that would be the only way I would make the trade.

rog
07-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Having a solid back up QB is kind of like having a good closer in baseball every team has relief pitchers but only one they trust handing the ball to with a 1 run lead in the bottom of the 9th. We have that guy with Charlie Batch. If he needs to come in and play for one reason or another I have full confidence that he can get the job down. How many teams can say that?

fansince'76
07-26-2007, 02:24 PM
1st of all I have to say that I don't understand those who are saying that Ben is a injury prone.

Thumb, toe, concussions (plural), appendectomy, knee (hyperextension). Shall I go on?

rog
07-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Thumb, toe, concussions (plural), appendectomy, knee (hyperextension). Shall I go on?

Please no your scaring me.

Preacher
07-26-2007, 03:58 PM

Thumb <--- Actually, that was a matter of how the ball was hitting his thumb when it was snapped by Hartings. Ben wasn't used to it, and it was hitting at just the right spot with the tip of the ball, making it sore. Ben just dealt with it, stating that you don't change the way a man like Hartings goes about his business.

Toe <--- Who knows

Concussions <----- Caused by accident, in hindsight, he came back too soon and was more susceptible to more concussions. I believe that will be a non-issue now.

Appendicitis <------- Not an injury, not really anything. That kind of stuff just happens, and happens to many many people.

Knee <---- That is the main issues... he was smacked on the knee.. but MAN, did you see the hyperextension? And he came back as fast as he did. then the other knee got popped and he had surgery and came back DURING the season. I have had my knee scoped... the FULL healing process for me was over a year. He came back in what... 4 weeks? WOW.

I don't consider him injury prone, as much as I consider this just a freak run of bad luck. Three or four things that have nothing to do with each other just happened to happen. Usually, when someone is injury prone, you can point to something specific, such as seemingly insignificant hits causing injuries... The same part of the body injured all the time. etc. etc.

NOW... how about that ... :sofunny:O' Mod of excellence?:sofunny:

:poke: :wink02:

ChronoCross
07-26-2007, 04:01 PM
trade timmons and keep batch.

paw-n-maul-u
07-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah I wouldn't really call ben injury prone, just more unfortunate than anything. Appendectomy's happen all the time ... the toe and thumb? please. .... concussions? read above ... actually I pretty much should just copy and paste what preacher said.

Fred Taylor = injury prone

Ben Roth.= unlucky.

He never missed a game in college, and has only missed a handful while starting in the NFL. If anything I'd say Ben is one helluva tough SOB.

Jman
07-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Agreed... It's Ben Roth, not Donovan McNabb...

ChronoCross
07-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Ben had a unlucky last season. Saying he is injury prone after what he went threw. Na.. He is healthy now and all his marbles working again. We will see a strong showing and the old Ben back on the field. People seem to forget his first two years to quickly.

SteelCityMan786
07-26-2007, 10:36 PM
trade timmons and keep batch.

Why get rid of Timmons? He's only been here for this year. Batch needs to still stay.

rbryan
07-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Haven't read this whole post so excuse me if I'm repeating someone else, but I never thought Charlie Batch was all that special. I've seen people on this board refer to him as the "best backup in the league" I don't see it. If somebody wants to give up the farm for CB, I say take it and run.

ChronoCross
07-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Why get rid of Timmons? He's only been here for this year. Batch needs to still stay.

Its just a joke. Its like having a poll to trade batch - clear joke to even think of it.

fansince'76
07-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah I wouldn't really call ben injury prone, just more unfortunate than anything. Appendectomy's happen all the time ... the toe and thumb? please. .... concussions? read above ... actually I pretty much should just copy and paste what preacher said.

Fred Taylor = injury prone

Ben Roth.= unlucky.

He never missed a game in college, and has only missed a handful while starting in the NFL. If anything I'd say Ben is one helluva tough SOB.

Well, when Ben can make it through an entire 16-game schedule (please God, make it this year), I'll change my mind about it. I don't see a lot of difference between being "unlucky" and being "injury prone." Although I do agree about the appendectomy, which I think was spurred by the accident, and was obviously non-football related. Don't get me wrong, I love Ben as our QB, but he has been snake-bitten in his career so far when it comes to injuries. Thank God none of them have been career-threatening (outside of the accident, which again was non-football related).

WWIIOwheelz
07-26-2007, 11:09 PM
I voted no, simply because the chemistry between he & Ben is excellent, and that's saying a lot more than some teams have with their starters & backups.

Aside from that, it was very, very obvious to me last year that Batch knew the pocket role of the gameplan as well as Ben, if not better for the first 5 games.

Bottom-line: If Ben were to go down in a game, I want Batch under center before any greenback or a has-been off the waiver wire, and I can't emphasize that enough.