PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Smith plans to be more vocal

83-Steelers-43
03-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Brown: Steelers' Smith plans to be more vocal

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, March 23, 2007

He has the most career sacks on a team that recently parted ways with its top pass rusher.

Yet when Aaron Smith talked Thursday about assuming a bigger role next season, he was referring to the one he'll take in the locker room more than anything else.

"I think I am going to have to speak up a little more," Smith said after an offseason workout at the Steelers' South Side practice facility, "and I think some of the guys that aren't used to speaking up are going to have to step up and speak a little more."

That the 6-foot-5, 298-pound defensive end is including himself in that group isn't surprising even though he generally prefers to blend in rather than be, well, Joey Porter.

The five-year, $25 million contract extension that Smith signed near the end of February cemented his status as a proven, respected veteran.

If he feels compelled to be more vocal next season, that is because the Steelers lost the unquestioned leader of their defense when they released Porter. The move came a couple of days after Smith agreed to the deal that should allow him to retire as a Steeler.

There also is the not-so-small matter of the Steelers underachieving in 2006 and missing the playoffs a season after they won the Super Bowl.

Smith said he and his teammates are intent on returning to their winning ways, even though the Steelers are in transition with new head coach Mike Tomlin.

"I think it's just the personalities," he said on why he expects the Steelers to rebound rather than regress. "There's a lot of prideful men on this team and guys are used to winning, and they want to come out and prove something."

Smith, who turns 31 next month, knows all about proving something, He did just that after the Steelers drafted him out of a Division II school (Northern Colorado) in 1999.

He has registered 34 sacks in eight seasons and, perhaps more importantly, has been stout against the run in the Steelers' 3-4 defense.

There has been considerable speculation about whether the Steelers will go to a 4-3 scheme -- and sooner rather than later -- since Tomlin learned that defense while serving as an assistant coach under Tony Dungy.

"There's always a little uncertainty with all of the change," Smith said of having a new coach. "Nobody likes change, and it's tough, but it's a necessary part of life. I'm fine with whatever the coaches decide. Whatever's going to give us the best chance to win football games, that's what I'm up for."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_499125.html

RoethlisBURGHer
03-23-2007, 09:00 AM
I am gonna miss WHO RIDE?WE RIDE!

Buzz05
03-23-2007, 09:07 AM
I like Aaron Smith, I really do...but I dont know if he can bring the same passion and excitement that Joey did...man that locker room is going to be different next year. I can really see Foote trying to step into that role as the intimidating LB for us though. Dont know if he can...but I would like to see him try.

Who says we have to stop WHO RIDE? WE RIDE! Why cant someone else pick it up where Joey left it...

polamalufan43
03-23-2007, 02:11 PM

Yeah, I will. But I'm sure that they will come up with something cool like that.
As for Aaron, I hope he does well this season, I've always liked him playing with us.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

AZ_Steeler
03-23-2007, 03:23 PM
I personally can't see Smith as being more vocal... IMO Keisel would be a better fit to step up and rally the troops!!! :tt02:

SteelShooter
03-23-2007, 06:00 PM
I personally can't see Smith as being more vocal... IMO Keisel would be a better fit to step up and rally the troops!!! :tt02:

:stupid:

Stlrs4Life
03-23-2007, 06:09 PM
I like Aaron Smith, I really do...but I dont know if he can bring the same passion and excitement that Joey did...man that locker room is going to be different next year. I can really see Foote trying to step into that role as the intimidating LB for us though. Dont know if he can...but I would like to see him try.

Who says we have to stop WHO RIDE? WE RIDE! Why cant someone else pick it up where Joey left it...

We will adjust like we adjusted when Lambert retired, Lloyd left, and others. Life will move on with out Joey.

BettisFan
03-23-2007, 06:15 PM
i dont think he can be more vocal he might want some publicity

GBMelBlount
03-23-2007, 09:04 PM
We will adjust like we adjusted when Lambert retired, Lloyd left, and others. Life will move on with out Joey.

There are LOTS of leaders on the steelers. When you have someone as outspoken as Joey, it suppresses others. There are PLENTY of Steelers who will fill any void left by Joey leaving. Do you expect silence?

AZ_Steeler
03-24-2007, 01:03 AM
:stupid:

Who are you calling stupid?

Steeldude
03-24-2007, 01:05 AM

i couldn't be happier knowing i will never have to hear that again. :banana:

Steeldude
03-24-2007, 01:06 AM
the steelers haven't had a leader on defense since lloyd left.

floodcitygirl
03-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Who are you calling stupid?I'm thinking..... YOU! lol But I'm sure it's only meant in the kindest of terms. :smile:

SteelerFanInCA
03-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Glad to see someone is thinking about stepping up in the vocal dept. With JP gone someone needs to become the new spark plug for the team. :tt02:

I'm not really all that sure that Smith fits the mold though.

AZ_Steeler
03-24-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm thinking..... YOU! lol But I'm sure it's only meant in the kindest of terms. :smile:

:wave: Still lost huh? :flap:

MasterOfPuppets
03-24-2007, 02:12 AM
Glad to see someone is thinking about stepping up in the vocal dept. With JP gone someone needs to become the new spark plug for the team. :tt02:

I'm not really all that sure that Smith fits the mold though.
i always thought that was the coaches job. do we really need another loud mouth who talks shit then doesn't back it up like porter did in the sb?

GBMelBlount
03-24-2007, 08:50 PM
i always thought that was the coaches job. do we really need another loud mouth who talks shit then doesn't back it up like porter did in the sb?

That Knoll of the 70's, he was one fiery bastard!:sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
03-24-2007, 08:53 PM
It's not like we have many options. I'll take any takers at this point in time. If Smith wants to step up to the plate more power to him.

Dynasty
03-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Well, this is exactly what I said a few months ago in one of the "Will porter be cut" threads...

I love it when i predict things that turn out correct.

ChronoCross
03-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Ether older Smith are even younger smith, even Farrior could be a vocal point. But its not all about approaching it the way Porter did to pump up the team by insulting other members of the other team. There is many other ways a vocal point can pump up a team in the locker room and out of the locker room.

GBMelBlount
03-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Ether older Smith are even younger smith, even Farrior could be a vocal point. But its not all about approaching it the way Porter did to pump up the team by insulting other members of the other team. There is many other ways a vocal point can pump up a team in the locker room and out of the locker room.

Not much else to add. Can you imagine a team of top tier PROFESSIONAL athletes, fire & brimstone, best in the world, not stepping it up & filloing in the void. Inconceivable!!!!!!!?

GBMelBlount
03-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Not much else to add. Can you imagine a team of top tier PROFESSIONAL athletes, fire & brimstone, best in the world, not stepping it up & filloing in the void. Inconceivable!!!!!!!?

Well put GB, you nailed it.:cheers: