PDA

View Full Version : Theismann Out At Monday Night Football

Atlanta Dan
03-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Hallelujah

Joe Theismann will not return as an analyst on "Monday Night Football" this season, according to reports from Newsday and The New York Times.... His replacement could be current ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/25/theismann.removal/index.html

Tony K. clearly despises Theismann; to give Tony a chance to work out, Jaws would be a big improvement. Still need to dump Tirico and those inane celebrity interviews, but this is a start.

PisnNapalm
03-25-2007, 09:55 PM
YEEESSS!!!! I friggin hate listening to Theismann. He's a jackass.

verks36
03-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Hallelujah

Joe Theismann will not return as an analyst on "Monday Night Football" this season, according to reports from Newsday and The New York Times.... His replacement could be current ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/25/theismann.removal/index.html

Tony K. clearly despises Theismann; to give Tony a chance to work out, Jaws would be a big improvement. Still need to dump Tirico and those inane celebrity interviews, but this is a start.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

OMG

He hates the steeelers so much

all he did was rag on us it used to piss my off so much he threw small football at our TV. When things are going bad and the steelers are losing you have to listen to this steelers hater rag on us

MasterOfPuppets
03-25-2007, 10:22 PM
:tt02: :thumbsup: :party: :cheers: :jammin: :banana: :chicken:

freakin great!!!! i hated him as a player and hated him even more hearin him speak!!! the only time i enjoyed seeing the d*ck head on tv was when his leg was bent like a pretzel!!!

:peace: :dancing: :thmbup: :hyper: :alcohol: :tt: :celebrate :yeehaw:

ChronoCross
03-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Like most .. Thank God..

stlrtruck
03-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Now if they can just get some good people in the booth. Tony isn't the answers. Jaws isn't the answer. I wonder if ESPN will branch out and let every day people take a shot at it every week.

It could be a new reality show. Ok, maybe not but at least they are going in the right direction.

HometownGal
03-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Hallelujah!!!! :banana: I don't know if Jaws would be much of an improvement. I think he and Kornholio would clash, as there wouldn't be enough room in that booth for both of their egos.

Personally - I think Emmitt would do a good job and find a way to make it work with Korn.

Counselor
03-26-2007, 08:06 AM
My prayers have been answered. I honnestly can't think of a worse announcer than Theismann---and there are a lot of bad ones.

What's sad is the average listener seems to know more about football than he does. His comments are nothing but inane drivel.

Atlanta Dan
03-26-2007, 12:41 PM
I thought one of the most listenable broadcasts last season was Jaws, Vermeil and Nessler on the Monday Night doubleheader game that opened last season, so I hold out hope for Jaworski.

It helped that Jaws and Vermeil have been friends for around 30 years and both know the game. I think Jaws will be a good nuts and bolts analyst; the problem is ESPN apparently figured it owed the lead announcer slot to Tirico and keeps wanting to make the game an "event" to recapture the 1970s MNF atmosphere.

You can't relive the past and I wish ESPN would quit trying and just put on a watchable broadcast instead of trying to find the next Gifford/Meredith/Cosell trio.

It is the same problem as their college basketball brodcasts, where Vitale talks about everything except the game. ESPN is too much the entertainment rather than sports network these days.

PisnNapalm
03-26-2007, 12:44 PM
I too hope the job goes to Jaws.

OneForTheToe
03-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Well, Jaws got the job:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20070326espn01

Jaworski will occupy the analyst role previously held by Joe Theismann, who has been offered a prominent football analyst role with ESPN.

Now if they would just get rid of Kornheiser. How about Dennis Miller? :tt02:

Tirico is a fine play-by-play man, though.

Goodbye, Joe Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesman. :cheers:

OneForTheToe
03-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Dennis Miller????? You should be banned from watching MNF just for suggesting that!! :flap:

Come on Dennis and Howard togehter would have been great. Of course, the games would have become completely irrelevant. :thumbsup:

boLT fan
03-26-2007, 02:51 PM
They really need that "second string" they had for the Chargers/Raiders first game of the year (the only person I can remember was Dick Vermiel). They were great, Dicky V input a lot of completely un-biased knowledge and they were so much better than the first three rejects. Does anyone else know who i'm talking about other than Dick Vermiel?

tony hipchest
03-26-2007, 02:59 PM
They really need that "second string" they had for the Chargers/Raiders first game of the year (the only person I can remember was Dick Vermiel). They were great, Dicky V input a lot of completely un-biased knowledge and they were so much better than the first three rejects. Does anyone else know who i'm talking about other than Dick Vermiel?that was jaws that atlanta dan mentionned in the above post. i think jaws is excellent and love the "nfl match up" show with merril hoge. nobody is gonna study more to prepare for calling a game than him. unlike theismann, you can learn something by listening to him.

boLT fan
03-26-2007, 03:01 PM
that was jaws that atlanta dan mentionned in the above post. i think jaws is excellent and love the "nfl match up" show with merril hoge. nobody is gonna study more to prepare for calling a game than him. unlike theismann, you can learn something by listening to him.

Oh ya, I probably should've read the other posts first. :party:

Anyway, those three would be awesome for MNF. Maybe even make it half-way watchable.

Steelerstrength
03-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Just get rid of Kornholer! He sucks too!

Nuff said.:helmet:

PisnNapalm
03-26-2007, 03:35 PM
I got in my car this afternoon to go into work. I turned on the sports radio station like usual. They were talking to Jaws about his new job. :)

Honestly, unless it the Steelers were playing, I gave up watching MNF.

msafford
03-26-2007, 03:44 PM
YEEESSS!!!! I friggin hate listening to Theismann. He's a jackass.

I agree! Now if they can only do something with Bryant "I Love my Dungeons and Dragons, and I'm a big tool" Gumbel on the NFL Network games.

memphissteelergirl
03-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Buh-bye, Joe! :wave:

tony hipchest
03-26-2007, 05:14 PM
personally im a MNF addict and would watch it even if fran drescher, bobcat golthwait, and peewee herman were calling the game, but the addition of jaworski is gonna be excellent (except for philly haters). im really suprised he never landed a job in the booth a long time ago.

one thing i like about nascar broadcasts is that they always have somebody who can break down and give the technical side to novice viewers in a way that never becomes stale or repetitive to the more savy viewers. this is what jaws will bring to the table.

MasterOfPuppets
03-26-2007, 05:41 PM
personally im a MNF addict and would watch it even if fran drescher, bobcat golthwait, and peewee herman were calling the game, but the addition of jaworski is gonna be excellent (except for philly haters). im really suprised he never landed a job in the booth a long time ago.

one thing i like about nascar broadcasts is that they always have somebody who can break down and give the technical side to novice viewers in a way that never becomes stale or repetitive to the more savy viewers. this is what jaws will bring to the table.

actually i gotta disagree there.every richmond and martinsville race ,half the freakin coverage is watching brakes glowing orange.i'd think one quick shot is enough to get the idea,but they just keep goin back to it.:dang:

BettisFan
03-26-2007, 05:50 PM
he wasnt that good on the show

Stlrs4Life
03-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Thank goodness!

Suitanim
03-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Now we need to make sure that Joe never finds gainful employment on the national platform again. He can call pre-season games in DC...

tony hipchest
03-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Now we need to make sure that Joe never finds gainful employment on the national platform again. He can call pre-season games in DC...i think espn offered him a job doing college football and occasional spots on shows like nfl live.

Suitanim
03-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Div 1-AA football?