PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's top priority: Eliminate distractions

83-Steelers-43
03-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Tomlin's top priority: Eliminate distractions
Monday, March 26, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHOENIX -- Mike Tomlin arrived in Phoenix Thursday night with his family for the NFL meetings that began yesterday. He's still waiting for his bag.

That kind of distraction can ruin a trip, but the new Steelers coach was making do, outfitted from head to toe by Reebok donations as he made his way through a line of interviews with NFL Films, ESPN and others.

It's a small example of what he expects from his team under his watch. He wants his players and coaches to abolish distractions, something he figures they probably did not do very well as reigning Super Bowl champions last season.

"I want to eliminate the variables that don't matter," said Tomlin, attending his first league-wide meeting. "That's what the great teams do more than anything else -- they show up, and they play the game. That's a culture. It's not something that happens week in and week out. It's a culture that defines that kind of atmosphere."

The Steelers slipped to 8-8 last season after winning the Super Bowl less than 14 months ago. Tomlin did not specifically blame their fall on what's commonly known as a Super Bowl hangover, but he has his suspicions because of experience. Tomlin was the secondary coach when Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl after the 2002 season and held the same job when the Buccaneers went 7-9 the next season.

"I would imagine that [distractions played a part]. Again, I'm purely speculating because I wasn't here. But I know what it's like to come back as the reigning Super Bowl champion and being part of that. We fell miserably on our faces when I was in Tampa, so you see how it can happen.

"You have nine radio shows and the next year you have 22 radio shows, you know what I mean? There are banquets and appearances and things of that nature. As a position coach, I'm getting compensated for making appearances and things of that nature, just stuff that goes with being successful.

"That probably determines what happens in this league more than anything -- not how you deal with failure ... how you deal with success, man, defines you. The longer I'm in it, the more I believe it and embrace that.

"The key is, your football team has to embrace it. At the same time, they can't be dulled by that. You have to appreciate the big games, you have to win them, stack them, put it where it's supposed to be and move on."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07085/772589-66.stm

The Duke
03-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Tomlin speaks football from the heart :jammin:

RoethlisBURGHer
03-26-2007, 01:17 AM
You hear that Faneca?If you want to remain a Steeler,just show up and play,the rest (contract) will take care of it's self.Stop bitching about Grimm being in Arizona or request a trade to go there and stop distracting the rest of the team damnit.So yeah,basicly,stop being a jagoff and get to work!

wiqidjuggalo
03-26-2007, 03:03 AM
You hear that Faneca?If you want to remain a Steeler,just show up and play,the rest (contract) will take care of it's self.Stop bitching about Grimm being in Arizona or request a trade to go there and stop distracting the rest of the team damnit.So yeah,basicly,stop being a jagoff and get to work!

:cheers: :iagree:

abgroove
03-26-2007, 05:01 AM

And the Steeler church says "Amen"

polamalufan43
03-26-2007, 07:03 AM

Preach it come on Preach it

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

stlrtruck
03-26-2007, 08:35 AM

When I read that last line I first read..

stop being a jagr-off and get to work!

tony hipchest
03-26-2007, 11:20 AM
peter king is in phoenix to report on the meetings. from todays mmqb- Mike Tomlin's making a positive impression here. Lots of NFL people don't know Tomlin, and they're discovering he's an engaging guy.

stlrtruck
03-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Wait until they find out how engaging his team will be come September!!!!

StillerPaul
03-26-2007, 02:32 PM
The more i hear Tomlin speak the more i like him. I can't wait for the season to get here.

TackleMeBen
03-26-2007, 03:10 PM
And the Steeler church says "Amen"

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

polamalufan43
03-26-2007, 03:36 PM
The more i hear Tomlin speak the more i like him. I can't wait for the season to get here.

I have to agree. Although I'm not... let's say judging him...until camp. So far it's been talking, I want to see how he deals with the harder working part.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Preacher
03-26-2007, 04:55 PM
I love what I am hearing. It seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and knows how to put things in perspective.

So far he is doing a good job. However, in the end, what will decide whether he is good or not is the record at the end of the year.

Of course, I will give him a year or two to make the corrections necessary. But by the third year, I expect te Steelers DEEP in the playoffs.

PalmerSteel
03-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Of course, I will give him a year or two to make the corrections necessary. But by the third year, I expect te Steelers DEEP in the playoffs.

no way, Jose! this is a super bowl caliber team and there is no excuse acceptible (besides many key injuries of course) why we shouldnt be battling with the best of them in the playoffs. man, this offseason is taking forever. :helmet:

GBMelBlount
03-26-2007, 08:07 PM

Holy crap, non pro-bowlers getting 50 mil for 7 years! Uhhhhhh, not sure if we're gonna offer Faneca 7 mil a year. However, look at O-line if we lose him! Also, one of my contacts at lownhome (in greentree) told me one of his co-workers knows two of the ex-steelers coaches and they told him Grimm had a physical agreement for HC in hand and Rooneys pulled it because they hadn't signed it yet & hired Tomlin. This is serious hearsay & I don't know mechanics of this stuff. Just passing along possible BS to keep the boring offseason interesting....but this may be PART of the reason faneca MAY be pissed. I pray we keep him!

steelafan
03-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Also, one of my contacts at lownhome (in greentree) told me one of his co-workers knows two of the ex-steelers coaches and they told him Grimm had a physical agreement for HC in hand and Rooneys pulled it because they hadn't signed it yet & hired Tomlin.

I heard this too. I also think we should question whether the Rooneys really intend to even TRY to get some of the high priced players. I hear they may be just letting them go without even making an offer, in spite of media quotes about contract progress not going very well.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Holy crap, non pro-bowlers getting 50 mil for 7 years! Uhhhhhh, not sure if we're gonna offer Faneca 7 mil a year. However, look at O-line if we lose him! Also, one of my contacts at lownhome (in greentree) told me one of his co-workers knows two of the ex-steelers coaches and they told him Grimm had a physical agreement for HC in hand and Rooneys pulled it because they hadn't signed it yet & hired Tomlin. This is serious hearsay & I don't know mechanics of this stuff. Just passing along possible BS to keep the boring offseason interesting....but this may be PART of the reason faneca MAY be pissed. I pray we keep him!

Even if Grimm had a deal in place,it's not Faneca's desicion to hire someone,it's the Rooney's.

Faneca's job is to play football for the Pittsburgh Steelers,no matter who his coach is.

steelafan
03-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Faneca's job is to play football for the Pittsburgh Steelers,no matter who his coach is.

Right. And having an opinion is not part of his job. Those players should just get the team line straight and have it ready whenever a reporter comes near them. Who ever heard of an employee saying anything that didn't match the boss's opinion? Maybe we ought to talk to those reporters, too, and get them to quit asking questions when we all know what the answer ought to be.

GBMelBlount
03-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Even if Grimm had a deal in place,it's not Faneca's desicion to hire someone,it's the Rooney's.

Uhhhh, who said faneca hires coaches? Also, Faneca's job is to play for the team he solidifies an agreement with to play for. It doesn't have to be the steelers but holy crap!!!!! I hope he's a steeler, God I do, but who says his job is to play for the steelers... is that why he was born?:banging:

RoethlisBURGHer
03-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Nobody ever said Faneca hires coaches.He has done a lot of bitching over Grimm not being hired when he had no say in it.The Rooneys hired who they felt was the best man for the job,and Faneca can't seem to respect or accept that.

Right now,for one more season,Faneca is under contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers.He can choose to leave after this season if he so chooses.Or he can request a trade if he doesn't wanna be there for this year.He needs to get his ass in gear and stop being a whiney lil bitch about Russ Grimm not being the Steelers head coach.

He is allowed to have an opinion,however I don't believe the right thing to do is bitch to the media about his good 'ol buddy Grimm not being hired.He had other things he could have said,but he instead whined about Grimm not being hired.It's the media's job to ask questions like the ones he was asked,but Faneca should have been smart enough to give a better answer,especially if he wants to remain a Steeler.

RADSteelfan
03-27-2007, 11:42 AM
The more I hear from Coach Tomlin, the more I like him. I really think that he's going to be a positive presence to the team and re-establish that motivation that was so obviously missing last year.

TackleMeBen
03-27-2007, 11:49 AM
He needs to stop worrying about who the coach is and get his tail in shape to play football. We can win a superbowl with or without him... and i would prefer without him if he is going to be a whiney 2 year old. lol

Preacher
03-27-2007, 04:20 PM
I say faneca needs to disappear on draft day... Hey Arizona... Thank you for your #1 pick.. heck.. #2 pick.. here is our headache... good bye.

I simply don't want our team to be poisened with his stupidity.

Of course, it sure is nice discussing a player needing to leave because of his loyalty to a coach...

... instead of discussing a 10th arrest! ahem Bengals.

GBMelBlount
03-27-2007, 11:33 PM
I say faneca needs to disappear on draft day... Hey Arizona... Thank you for your #1 pick.. heck.. #2 pick.. here is our headache... good bye.

I simply don't want our team to be poisened with his stupidity.

Of course, it sure is nice discussing a player needing to leave because of his loyalty to a coach...

... instead of discussing a 10th arrest! ahem Bengals.

Preach, no disrepect. How do you feel about O-line and our prospects next year if we lose Faneca?:dang: